How do I get rid of ghosting? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-27-2006, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Okay guys, I'm hoping for some help here. This post could get long winded, so I'm going to give you a quick, numbered chronology of events that led me up to this point:

1) I purchased a projector that professional reviews indicated would add annoying ghosting (double outlines) on certain analog content.

2) When I hooked the projector up, I noticed that high quality analog content fed via component (HD DVD, for example) did not have ANY ghosting at all. Cool.

3) I also noticed that there was some ghosting on HD cable fed over component. Bummer.

4) So I bought an HDMI cable and starting feeding my HD cable to the projector via HDMI. The ghosting was gone. Yay!

5) I hooked up a DVD player. Terrible picture. Ghosting everywhere. It was hooked up via component.

6) I went and bought a new Panasonic upconverting DVD player (open box item) for cheap, and I was able to get the DVD picture SO MUCH BETTER looking. Unfortunately, I still have the double outlines, despite the fact that I'm outputting 1080i via HDMI.

7) Since the signal I am feeding the projector is DIGITAL, I now believe that the annoying double outlines are being added by the DVD player.

So my question for you guys is this: Have any of you noticed ghosting on your DVD players? And does anyone know what causes this? Will throwing more money at a higher end DVD player solve this problem?

Just to make it clear what I'm looking at, the ghosting looks very much like edge enhancement, but I'm almost 100% positive that this is an artifact being added by the electronics.

Keep in mind, I'm watching on a 96 inch screen, so all of this stuff is very noticeable to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-27-2006, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
As a quick follow up to my own post, can anyone give me the title of a DVD that has absolutely no edge enhacement on it? This would allow me to verify that the problem is not actually on the DVD itself.
Closed Thread DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page