HDMI supported dvd player with built in closed caption decoder? Do one exist? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-30-2006, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know that analog closed caption "line21" signal does not pass-thru the hdmi or compoment cables so I was wodnering if there such a dvd players that actually decodes closed caption and overlay it on video before sending it thru hdmi or compoment cable to the lcd tv?

And one other thing this is not "subtitles" which I am writing about so it not the same thing as closed captioning.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-23-2007, 01:52 AM

Hello Zesuite,

I want to know the same thing, since I bought a DVP5965K Philips DVD player and can't get the Closed Caption to work. Did you find out the answer for your question elsewhere?
post #3 of 10 Old 03-23-2007, 11:24 AM

Do a lot of DVDs include this data (closed caption) on the disk? With respect to a DVD , what information would be included in the closed caption that would not be in English subtitles?

I have an OPPO, I'll check later today and see it that data, if present on any DVD I have, will come through to the TV
post #4 of 10 Old 03-23-2007, 12:09 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-F View Post

Do a lot of DVDs include this data (closed caption) on the disk? With respect to a DVD , what information would be included in the closed caption that would not be in English subtitles?

I have an OPPO, I'll check later today and see it that data, if present on any DVD I have, will come through to the TV

Some TV-on-DVD titles use CC instead of disc subtitles. I remember "Star Trek: Next Generation" was an example.

The Oppo will not do it.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #5 of 10 Old 03-23-2007, 02:04 PM

Hello Rick,

Many DVDs in US don't have subtitles, mainly TV shows.
Examples I have: I Love Lucy, King of Queens, Mary Tyler Moore, The Cosby Show, and movies such as Falling Down, Tucker, etc... That's DVDs I bought that only have Closed Caption, but no subtitle. I noticed in US stores that many DVDs don't have subtitles if they don't intend to sell abroad.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
cc also includes sound effects ("Joe whistles" when Joe whistles), etc.

atriumbia, doesn't your 5965 do the cc when not upscaling? My understanding was that where the setting appears on a dvd player, the signal gets passed to the TV when sending a 480i signal (and maybe 480p?), but not necessaruly for upscaled resolutions. - DR
post #7 of 10 Old 03-24-2007, 03:19 AM

dr0s, I tried 480p but no cc...
post #8 of 10 Old 03-24-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZESUIT View Post

I know that analog closed caption "line21" signal does not pass-thru the hdmi or compoment cables so I was wodnering if there such a dvd players that actually decodes closed caption and overlay it on video before sending it thru hdmi or compoment cable to the lcd tv?

And one other thing this is not "subtitles" which I am writing about so it not the same thing as closed captioning.

Bill

BUMP.

Good question. I also asked about this in the Oppo thread, because I'm hard-of-hearing and seldom ever understand dialog. CC is a boon when watching it on TV, but with my HT and projector, I have to make sure subtitles are available.

I prefer CC most of the time because, as dr0s says, it includes sound effects, like "door creaking open". Many of these sound effects are added because they are crucial to the plot or story. It also includes additional information that may not be obvious to some viewers, like background dialog, or name of song and artist.

Personally, I find having both CC and subtitle technologies available redundant. I can see the need for subtitles, as they may be displayed on a HT system without a TV. But, CC requires a TV or CC decoder. Either they stick with CC, have DVD players decode it and overlay it on the video and pass it on via HDMI. Or, stick with subtitles and make it mandatory on all videos. I see no need for them both. The industry should be able to reduce costs and offer just one form of captioning or subtitle, but make it available through any entertainment system.

Would be nice to see some way to include CC in a digital HT that doesn't have a TV. There have been a few times I couldn't watch a movie on my 92" projector screen, because it didn't have subtitles. But, it DID have CC for our little 27" CRT TV.

regards,
MAJ
post #9 of 10 Old 03-27-2007, 12:23 AM

I have a Toshiba SD3950 which includes a CC decoder. What's nice about it is that it provides a semi-transparent background for the text instead of solid black. It looks pretty much the same as subtitles and much better than the usual closed captions. Since this player is capable of progressive output, I suspect that CC was added to compensate for the inablility of CC to pass on to the TV while in progressive mode.

Now that I have an HDTV, I'm finding no upconverting DVD players with integrated CC. For that matter, I don't think I've seen any other SD DVD players with CC. Has anyone else?
post #10 of 10 Old 05-28-2008, 12:57 PM

Liked: 11
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=846346

Linking to other thread where Panasonic recorders were reported to work.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)