Any Onkyo 404 user here (for 480i HDMI) ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-04-2007, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi I couldn't find much info abt this player. Is there anyone here using it as a 480i transport ? I'm most keen to know if it has Y/C delay and any pixel cropping in 480i HDMI, and if its menu/chapter speed is fast.

Thanks for your help !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2007, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
BTT.......i am looking into this player (DVSP404) myself. the reviews i've read of it so far have all be great. i'm a fan of onkyo and and the $130 price tag. would be looking to take advantage of the 720p/1080i upconversion via HDMI on my Sony KDF-50E2000.

does anyone have any input on this unit?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-20-2007, 08:12 AM

any1?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-20-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj View Post

the reviews i've read of it so far have all be great.

Reviews? Where? (Links?) I've found very little so far.

Btw, there's another thread here on the same topic. Perhaps a mod should combine them?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-21-2007, 04:24 PM

I have had the 404 for about a week. I am using it in 720p mode and the PQ has been good. Up there with the best of the other upconverting players I have viewed. I demoed the unit side by side with my old Onkyo dvd player and could definitely see the difference.

I have not done anything in the 480i setting as my TV does not like it, so I can't say there. It is a little slow on power up and reading, but I don't think any more than other comparable units. The 404 is pretty small and light. While it doesn't have a lot of "heft", the quality of the electronics is still there.

My only major complaint is with the audio functions. As was noted in the attached post, you need to turn off the audio over HDMI to get Dolby Digital 5.1 out of the coaxial digital output. (Note this unit is also lacking an optical digital output.) As I don't run my AV receiver all the time, this requires going into the menu functions when I do. The other option appears to be to run an additional stereo audio cable to the TV. This is tough for me as the run is long and through the wall with limited room. I also put in the HDMI to have 1 cable that will do it all. I heard other players, such as Oppo, have all the outputs "hot", so I don't know why Onkyo chose to do it this way. As a result, I reluctantly may go another way.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-09-2007, 02:29 AM

Thanks for this info Nvancitters!! You inspired me to make my first post. This audio issue with the DVSP404 is what i needed to hear to make my decision to go with one of the Oppos. I've been up in the air for a while on the onkyo.

For those not bothered by the audio switching issue with the onkyo, shoponkyo,com now has refurb'd DVSP404 for $84.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page