Denon DVD-1930ci vs. Oppo DV-981HD Video D/A Converters - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-04-2007, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering buying either the Denon 1930ci or Oppo 981HD. One of the spec's on the Denon is 11 bit, 216Mhz High Resolution Video D/A Converters. However, I can't find out what the corresponding spec is on the Oppo 981HD. Does anyone know what the Oppo spec is? How important is this spec anyway? Higher is better? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-04-2007, 10:05 AM

If you are planning to use HDMI the D/A converter does not get used so its quality is irrelevant. From what I understand the Oppo 981 does not have component connections so it can only display 480i on its analog outputs, which means that it probably has a lower spec'ed video D/A converters.

Regards,
Sejin.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-04-2007, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoh View Post

If you are planning to use HDMI the D/A converter does not get used so its quality is irrelevant. From what I understand the Oppo 981 does not have component connections so it can only display 480i on its analog outputs, which means that it probably has a lower spec'ed video D/A converters.

Regards,
Sejin.

True, if only using s-video or composite, you don't need much and you can't expect much or you wouldn't be using them in the first place.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4 of 4 Old 01-04-2007, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

When I looked into this I was told by the OPPO support folks that they use 12-bit/108Mhz video DACs for s-video. The s-video on all the models is the same. BTW, s-video is much, much better than composite. With a good cable the luma (monochorome) sharpness is not real different from component at 480i. The chroma channels suffer at higher frequencies, but depending your TV and eyes you may or may not notice much difference. Since this is only 480i you need not concern yourself with having the fanciest DACs as I think PooperScooper indicated.

I found a great comparison on this page:

Comparison of video signal quality

I would be interested in hearing from anybody who has evaluated the PQ of the OPPO players with 480i from either s-video (any OPPO) or component (970 only). I have played with a spare, cheapo Pioneer DV-393 player which hapens to use the same Mediatek MPEG decoder as the OPPO and the image over s-video is not bad on my 38" direct view Loewe Aconda CRT. I would expect the OPPO to be better, but don;t know for sure.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page