was laserdisc a success? - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1090 Old 01-02-2011, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there anyone within reasonable driving distance of Fort Worth, Texas — let's say, San Antonio in one direction, Tulsa in the other — with a MUSE LD player who would be willing to help me out? I have a MUSE disc & a MUSE decoder, but no player yet. As I am investigating the properties of the MUSE signal, as well as the functions of my decoder, I would be grateful for the opportunity to set up my decoder & test equipment for an hour or so with a signal source.

Guide to connecting your LaserDisc Player  NTSC, PAL, & MUSE
MUSE decoder information, including user guides for Sony MST-2000 and Victor HV-MD2 / Mitsubishi MD-CZ11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1090 Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheer Lunacy View Post
Is there anyone within reasonable driving distance of Fort Worth, Texas let's say, San Antonio in one direction, Tulsa in the other with a MUSE LD player who would be willing to help me out? I have a MUSE disc & a MUSE decoder, but no player yet. As I am investigating the properties of the MUSE signal, as well as the functions of my decoder, I would be grateful for the opportunity to set up my decoder & test equipment for an hour or so with a signal source.
publius! I thought that was you!

TLK
post #1083 of 1090 Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yep, that's the one in the video. Since were on the subject; can the 3080 be modified for an AC-3 output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post

This video?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOVTWl1aG2s

That looks to me like the CLD-3070:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/la...r_cld-3070.htm

I have one. I haven't used it in a while. Kurtis modded mine for AC-3 RF output, aligned it, and completely re-greased the gear assembly a few years ago.

Why? Do you want one?
--I have a CLD-3080, but the front of that one sure is sharp looking--
TLK

post #1084 of 1090 Old 01-03-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post

Yep, that's the one in the video. Since were on the subject; can the 3080 be modified for an AC-3 output?

There are very few players which cannot be successfully modified for AC-3. Some are more difficult than others. Notably, older karaoke players, which typically have add-on audio boards grafted to the chassis of some standard player, may not have enough room inside to easily make the necessary connexions. (I know this from investigating modifying my CLD-V710.)

Guide to connecting your LaserDisc Player  NTSC, PAL, & MUSE
MUSE decoder information, including user guides for Sony MST-2000 and Victor HV-MD2 / Mitsubishi MD-CZ11

post #1085 of 1090 Old 01-04-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Every LD player can be modified for AC-3 RF. Space to add the modification can be an issue but since I add part directly to the existing analog board I've never seen a player I cannot put it in. It can be more difficult if you use the prefab adder boards.
post #1086 of 1090 Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Liked: 11
I'm amazed to see this thread still going strong three years on. I think by most measures Laserdisc was a success, although not by mainstream standards - and had had its day in the sun by the time DVD came along. That said, I still treasure my laserdiscs, and have recently gotten back into watching my collection after some time on the dark side (DVD). Guess what? My CLD-D704, after some coaxing, still works the way it should and gives me a perfectly watchable picture. Although I'm an audiophile from way back, it's always been more about the media for me than the equipment. I don't need six different copies of a movie, one's plenty thanks very much (although there's a few movies I have on VHS I'd like to replace...). I'll always go for the AC3 version of an LD if I can, but if not plain old Dolby Surround will satisfy me.

I also collect 8 tracks, so I know a thing or two about obsolete formats. Just as y'all play LDs for people who can't believe it's not a DVD, I play 8T or vinyl for people who think they're listening to a CD. I'll be watching my laserdiscs as long as I can keep the player runnin'...at least until Kurtis and/or Duncan vanish...
post #1087 of 1090 Old 01-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
When i was asking questions about AC-3 processors, it was suggested that i go the the demodulator route as that both of my receivers have a plentitude of digital inputs so as to not go with the analog input. I chose the processors mainly because of the affordability vs Demodulators. Today i scored a GOAL!; Got a Kenwood DEM-999D, Lexicon LDD-1 and a CLD-D505 LD (needs work- does not see disc) THANK YOU CRAIGSLIST!! for a C-note!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxCatz View Post
You are a strange man.
BTW, have you found any good places locally to find bargain LDs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector.B View Post
a bit of overkill?
post #1088 of 1090 Old 09-24-2011, 01:32 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

My favorite thread has been dormant far too long...

I just wanted to say that while the rest of the world watched the "digi-wow!" version of star wars, I fired up my Pioneer 704 and watched the "faces" unaltered laserdiscs in all their analog glory!

My 10 year-old son and I had a Star Wars film festival where Gredo definitely shot first, and there were no belching frogs. (My daughter just turned 13, and had no interest, teenagers.)

To top it all off, my wife, who was a HUGE Star Wars fan as a kid, brought out her collection of action figures in the Darth Vader carrying case. My wife was an only child, meticulous, so her toys are in mint condition. Luke had his light saber, the figures had their capes...not a scratch on them.

A fun weekend was had by all, we even found a movie my daughter wanted to watch.

I want to sample the new transfer, especially the DTS-MA 6.1 soundtracjk, but I'll save that for another weekend...

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #1089 of 1090 Old 09-24-2011, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

My favorite thread has been dormant far too long...

I just wanted to say that while the rest of the world watched the "digi-wow!" version of star wars, I fired up my Pioneer 704 and watched the "faces" unaltered laserdiscs in all their analog glory!

My 10 year-old son and I had a Star Wars film festival where Gredo definitely shot first, and there were no belching frogs. (My daughter just turned 13, and had no interest, teenagers.)

To top it all off, my wife, who was a HUGE Star Wars fan as a kid, brought out her collection of action figures in the Darth Vader carrying case. My wife was an only child, meticulous, so her toys are in mint condition. Luke had his light saber, the figures had their capes...not a scratch on them.

A fun weekend was had by all, we even found a movie my daughter wanted to watch.

I want to sample the new transfer, especially the DTS-MA 6.1 soundtracjk, but I'll save that for another weekend...

I'm waiting on my Definitive set to play on my two 704's, so far I'm in for 160.00 venturing into LD territory. I really scored a sweet deal on craigslist and the problems with the two players were really very minor. You wife collected SW figures? Not many girls did that back in the day glad she was a fan of the greatest movie ever made.
post #1090 of 1090 Old 09-24-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Too bad I had to sell all of mny starwars figures, ATAT, Millennium Falcon, X-Wing Fighter, SLAVE-1 back in the early '90s to scour some funds to buy eqipment to build my recording studio

Oh well, at least my daughter still knows what a LserDisc is (I still have a lot of discs at home)

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page