post #91 of 1090 Old 03-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know of any optimisation source that one can rip to a cd for LD

HD-DVD: 115 Blu: 6
Latest HD-DVD: All of them at Frys for under $10.

Latest BD: No incentive to pick up discs now that the format war is over. Netflix via xbox and mail is more that sufficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1090 Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB GAMER View Post

Are you sure you mean CD and not DVD?
Don't understand your question. What exactly are you looking for?

Laserdiscs: ~350
HiVision LDs: 42
HD DVD count: 379 / still 20 on the wishlist
post #93 of 1090 Old 03-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
In this town, so dead to laserdiscs I recall hardly anyone selling the players and only one outfit renting the discs, I still have managed to come up with close to 300 LDs in about 2 years of looking for them. I'll go into thrift stores from time to time and find an LD mixed between records, when I show the people what it is they look at me with a blank stare. When I tell them I've got about 300 more at home they wonder how I found that many. Second hand I've seen all of 5 LD players locally, 3 of these I bought, one I'm trying to get my hands on this week.

I didn't really intend to ever have this many, and the number I keep finding seems to be increasing pretty rapidly. Of course I'll watch them, most of the stuff I don't have on DVD, and never would have considered buying in the first place if I had not gotten the LD, I found a few movies I liked along the way as well as some stuff that has yet to surface on other formats.

I have three players of my own, one here in the bedroom, one in the livingroom, and one hooked up to a projector. I gave a player to my girlfriend as well so we could take advantage of all my movies at her house.

Depending on the comb filter of the TV involved you'd be surprised at what you'll get. The 27 inch Samsung HDTV of a few years ago looks striking with LDs. Almost any well mastered LD looks better on this set than the DVD version, the picture on some is breathtaking (I'm not even using a "good" model of LD player, just a cheap RCA with that TV) On some other sets they'll look terrible (they don't look particularly good on my girlfriend's cheap 27 inch SDTV of a few years ago, that TV only really does its best with DVDs).

How big can it still look decent at? My projector, due to room constrictions leaves me with something of a 62 inch screen but it can go much bigger. Most of the time they don't look bad at that size, even the DVDs will show flaws if you blow them up big. If you're doing the really big screen thats when things start to fall apart but from my experiences thats when you need the extra information of the HD feeds.

I still will buy movies on LD as long as they're available for me to buy, of course I still buy other formats as well. As I mentioned earlier in this post I am going to buy another player (to hook up in a different room), and that player comes with 75 LDs, ruling out the 6 or 7 titles I already have from that bunch I'll be quickly approaching 400 and have a lot of interesting movies to boot.
post #94 of 1090 Old 03-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

I was a Very early adopter of LD. I bought a CLD-900 combi unit in 1985, which served as my LD and CD player. I remember buying my first LD- Aint That America by J C Mellencamp and Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits on CD along with it. I'll never forget the experience of hearing digital sound for the first time. Over the years, I mostly collected music videodiscs and widescreen films. To me the best feature of LDs was the uncompressed PCM soundtracks. The artwork and liner notes were an important part of the experience of owning LDs, which the movie Free Enterprise captured nicely. I saw the writing on the wall with DVDs, and by the year 2000 sold my collection on ebay just before their resale value tanked. I remember my LDs with much fondness and consider the format a success, if only for exposing me to such a wide variety of great films.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke
post #95 of 1090 Old 03-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I remember being in Ken Cranes in So Cal and seeing a set up of "Mars Attacks" in 1997. They were playing a LD and DVD next to each other to show you the difference. The DVD was a couple of clicks up in clearity, but that was about it. I remember thinking that it would never catch on and probably all the people in the store with LDs in their arms did too!

Now, 400+ later and a DVL-700 to play them on, I'm still happy I have them. I'm luckly to have gotten a Panny RP-82 and a Toshiba HD A1.

I still play my LDs because there are so many that are not on DVD yet, let alone HD.

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB Projector; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player, Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TW HD Cable Box. 

post #96 of 1090 Old 03-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

The DVD was a couple of clicks up in clearity, but that was about it. I remember thinking that it would never catch on and probably all the people in the store with LDs in their arms did too!

There are a lot of DVDs out which look terrible and by no way reach the quality of their LD counterparts. Prominent example is Tina Turner Live in Amsterdam (DTS LD). The DVDs shows block artefacts all over the place whereas the LD is 100% clean. Same for the sound.

Laserdiscs: ~350
HiVision LDs: 42
HD DVD count: 379 / still 20 on the wishlist
post #97 of 1090 Old 03-13-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB GAMER View Post

There are set-up LD's, like Video Essentials, but they're all geared to NTSC TV's everybody had back then.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #98 of 1090 Old 03-13-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

After the completely fallacious crap with which you hounded me starting here.....

Your very post rather suppourts his statement about the forum's changes.... You're keeping a scorecard! You need to take a look at your objectives here. Is it to "win" arguments or learn stuff? The latter is the high road and best route.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #99 of 1090 Old 03-13-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Trevor:

Nice to see you carry a grudge.

Lee

Given you did your absolute best to smear me, was completely in the wrong from the get go and never admitted it -- just smeared me further -- you can darned well believe it! I've never personally run into anything as outrageous and ridiculous as that in any bulletin board or forum I've ever frequented.
post #100 of 1090 Old 03-13-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

Your very post rather suppourts his statement about the forum's changes.... You're keeping a scorecard! You need to take a look at your objectives here. Is it to "win" arguments or learn stuff? The latter is the high road and best route.

Except this guy who's bringing up the subject, and portraying himself as though an innocent, is actually a perpetrator. I merely point out the discrepancy.

PS. It was never an argument, it was an unflagging nonsensical attack! Did absolutely no-one any good.
post #101 of 1090 Old 03-13-2007, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I got into LD late in it's life-cycle and luckily didn't acquire a large collection and spend a lot. At least, not like I did with DVDs. I still have a player and a couple of dozen titles. Most have been replaced on DVD, but a few were never released like the original Star Wars THX versions and probably never will be. I have one that never made it, not even as an import from what I can tell. It's Michael Man's "The Keep" and while many would say that's a good thing, I'm glad to have a copy of it on LD.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #102 of 1090 Old 03-13-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

I got into LD late in it's life-cycle and luckily didn't acquire a large collection and spend a lot. At least, not like I did with DVDs. I still have a player and a couple of dozen titles. Most have been replaced on DVD, but a few were never released like the original Star Wars THX versions and probably never will be. I have one that never made it, not even as an import from what I can tell. It's Michael Man's "The Keep" and while many would say that's a good thing, I'm glad to have a copy of it on LD.

Many have yet to make it to DVD, and I agree, "The Keep" is a great film (didn't realize that was Michael Man). A sizable portion of my LD purchases were based on films I had earlier taped from cable TV. "The Keep" was one of those and I was very happy to snag a used copy (less than 10 of my LDs were bought new, only "The Matrix" at full price. ).

One film I've wanted to find for years I just broke down and ordered used on VHS. I've the suspicion it never even made it to LD (there were two films of the same name -- every time I tracked it down, it turned out to be the wrong one). Two other films I've been wanting for years are "The Naked Prey" and one dealing with backpackers in a back country forest who run into a killer. It's a darned well done film and I've been trying to rediscover the name just so I can search again for it. At times, being a film fan can be tough going.
post #103 of 1090 Old 03-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Someone else made a great analogy - LD was successful the way the NHL is successful. Both have (well, had for LD) very loyal fans who kept the format going even if it never reached complete mass-market appeal. I imagine the joy of meeting a fellow enthusiast is also the same.
post #104 of 1090 Old 03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Except this guy who's bringing up the subject, and portraying himself as though an innocent, is actually a perpetrator. I merely point out the discrepancy.

PS. It was never an argument, it was an unflagging nonsensical attack! Did absolutely no-one any good.

You did revive the argument and brng it to this thread. That speaks volmes about your tostesterone level. I could care less 'bout ya'all's conflict. Look at yourself and ask yourself why?

post #105 of 1090 Old 03-13-2007, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan View Post

Someone else made a great analogy - LD was successful the way the NHL is successful. Both have (well, had for LD) very loyal fans who kept the format going even if it never reached complete mass-market appeal. I imagine the joy of meeting a fellow enthusiast is also the same.

The NHL thang is a good analogy in a way. The NHL is ultra sucessful in certain places. Well, LD was ultra sucessful in Asia. If it hadn't been, well, it would of died in the 80's in Estados Unidos. The Asian market pulled the small U.S. market along. I didn't know this back in the 80's. Back then I kept thinking, when are they gonna stop selling these wonderful video discs.....

post #106 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Many have yet to make it to DVD, and I agree, "The Keep" is a great film (didn't realize that was Michael Man). A sizable portion of my LD purchases were based on films I had earlier taped from cable TV. "The Keep" was one of those and I was very happy to snag a used copy (less than 10 of my LDs were bought new, only "The Matrix" at full price. ).

One film I've wanted to find for years I just broke down and ordered used on VHS. I've the suspicion it never even made it to LD (there were two films of the same name -- every time I tracked it down, it turned out to be the wrong one). Two other films I've been wanting for years are "The Naked Prey" and one dealing with backpackers in a back country forest who run into a killer. It's a darned well done film and I've been trying to rediscover the name just so I can search again for it. At times, being a film fan can be tough going.

That's not the one with the Doctor's dropped off by an airplane for a camping/hunting trip and they start getting picked of in gruesome ways, is it?

-Steve
post #107 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

A few years ago, I wanted to transfer my anime LDs onto DVD, the macrovision was a big bother to work around (hey! I own these LDs, I paid for them, and they're dead, I have the moral right to transfer them to DVD/R).

Eventually, after a few disks that turned out ok, I basically gave up since it was too much work. Believe it or not, it was the chapter insertions that got to me - I wanted to have the chapter points match the LD and it just became ridiculously painful.

LD was great in terms of anime and a few really good disks, and they were better than initial DVDs that came out. The later DVDs were clearly much better though.
post #108 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 10:52 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 View Post

A few years ago, I wanted to transfer my anime LDs onto DVD, the macrovision was a big bother to work around (hey! I own these LDs, I paid for them, and they're dead, I have the moral right to transfer them to DVD/R).

Eventually, after a few disks that turned out ok, I basically gave up since it was too much work. Believe it or not, it was the chapter insertions that got to me - I wanted to have the chapter points match the LD and it just became ridiculously painful.

LD was great in terms of anime and a few really good disks, and they were better than initial DVDs that came out. The later DVDs were clearly much better though.

Still have LIGHT YEARS on LD a scifi anime movie involving Issac Asimov. It has never come out on DVD to date.

With anime. once DVD goes "enhanced for 16x9 TV's" transfer . . it will beat LD hands down. But without that. . . then you decide.
post #109 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

You did revive the argument and brng it to this thread. That speaks volmes about your tostesterone level. I could care less 'bout ya'all's conflict. Look at yourself and ask yourself why?

I haven't revived the argument, there is no argument, the links tell the entire story. If you object to learning a person is misrepresenting himself to you, that's your business. Adieu.
post #110 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post

That's not the one with the Doctor's dropped off by an airplane for a camping/hunting trip and they start getting picked of in gruesome ways, is it?

Darn, I can't remember the details well enough, but it wasn't a gore/horror type film, it was more an adventure/thriller. I remember there being a chasm/river with a foot bridge across it -- the backpackers had crossed en-route to the woods. The killer became involved in the wood. I also remember a law officer who I believe was hunting for the killer. I think it may have been primarily a manhunt, but in a backcountry setting.

I really should remember the name, but it's totally escaping me -- haven't seen it in years, but it was pretty positively reviewed. If I could just remember an actor's name, but I don't think I ever knew -- just saw it on cable, don't think I ever had a copy. (If I did, it's hard to believe I would have been such a nincompoop as to erase it.)
post #111 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been transferring a number of favorite LDs to DVD (also some VHS) and I agree it's definitely a lot of work to author a nice transfer. One of the problems is that the optimal display settings tend to vary a lot with older LDs. The only way to get a really good picture is to make sure each transfer is optimized (brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, sharpness) before final authoring to DVD -- that takes a lot of time for me.

I usually find the LD has fewer search points than I would like (in cases of VHS, of course, there aren't any at all ). So I just set my own chapters. The end result is very worthwhile, but no question it takes some effort.
post #112 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I saw that too , with the backpackers getting hunted . A girl was in the troup??
Very fuzzy on a title , but seems like it was a good one ..
We'll get it after some thought !!

keep at it , results are worth it !!
post #113 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog57 View Post

I saw that too , with the backpackers getting hunted . A girl was in the troup??
Very fuzzy on a title , but seems like it was a good one ..
We'll get it after some thought !!

Very possibly a girl being one of the group -- don't remember how many people but it wasn't large -- four maybe? I used to go to Reel.com for film reviews (found them far more reliable than IMDB.com). Also, their listings of similar and related films can be very helpful in identifying possibilities -- at least, it was for me. Reel.com was a major tool for me while hunting used LD's.
post #114 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Still one of my favorite formats. When ever I show my friends a LD they are just shocked by the size. Then I tell them each side only holds 1 hour in CLV and 1/2 hour in CAV. Starwars CAV has 5 side changes. Or a minnimum of 3 times you must get up to switch the disc out. For me its worth it as I'm getting the orginal versions...
May tranzfer them to DVD some time.
But I tryed with my DVD recorder. Got to much into the movie and forgot ended up with the A-B blue screen on the first couple side changes...

May use the PC at some point and try to clean it all up. The chapters don't bother me at all..

Thinking about getting a better player. My current one does alright but the first 10 minnites of a side seem a little off. Once beyond that they look great...

I think my judge dredd LD looks a lot nicer then the R1 DVDs...
post #115 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Still have LIGHT YEARS on LD a scifi anime movie involving Issac Asimov. It has never come out on DVD to date.

With anime. once DVD goes "enhanced for 16x9 TV's" transfer . . it will beat LD hands down. But without that. . . then you decide.

I think it is the anamorphic transfers on DVD that made things better, but the early DVDs were terrible. I remember looking at titles like Total Recall on DVD and choking at how ugly the pictures looked.

Strangely, I never considered not buying DVDs back then, I just thought of it like a tiny more convenient LD that didn't require me to switch the player to to side B. But some animes are one side only.

Quote:

I've been transferring a number of favorite LDs to DVD (also some VHS) and I agree it's definitely a lot of work to author a nice transfer. One of the problems is that the optimal display settings tend to vary a lot with older LDs. The only way to get a really good picture is to make sure each transfer is optimized (brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, sharpness) before final authoring to DVD -- that takes a lot of time for me.

I usually find the LD has fewer search points than I would like (in cases of VHS, of course, there aren't any at all ). So I just set my own chapters. The end result is very worthwhile, but no question it takes some effort.

I first tried it with video capture cards when I was a lowly engineer. Nowadays, I have much better industrial grade toys that I can deploy

Yet, there's not much point. It's much easier to just buy the DVD (hopefully the BD soon), you also get all the extras. Time is money too.
post #116 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post

I think that's "Rituals". Only on DVD in a very bad German version.
post #117 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Darn, I can't remember the details well enough, but it wasn't a gore/horror type film, it was more an adventure/thriller. I remember there being a chasm/river with a foot bridge across it -- the backpackers had crossed en-route to the woods. The killer became involved in the wood. I also remember a law officer who I believe was hunting for the killer. I think it may have been primarily a manhunt, but in a backcountry setting.

I really should remember the name, but it's totally escaping me -- haven't seen it in years, but it was pretty positively reviewed. If I could just remember an actor's name, but I don't think I ever knew -- just saw it on cable, don't think I ever had a copy. (If I did, it's hard to believe I would have been such a nincompoop as to erase it.)

Just Before Dawn???
post #118 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yates View Post

Just Before Dawn???

Thanks for the try, but not judging from what the IMDB says : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082592/

It wasn't a slasher flick, had much more subtlety than that, much more story. I tried looking up some Reel.com "related" titles thinking of "Manhunter", but that didn't fly. If anything else occurs to you, I'll be happy to check it out. It's there somewhere !
post #119 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I first tried it with video capture cards when I was a lowly engineer. Nowadays, I have much better industrial grade toys that I can deploy

Yet, there's not much point. It's much easier to just buy the DVD (hopefully the BD soon), you also get all the extras. Time is money too.

Sounds nice, I'm using a Plextor ConvertX capture box that isn't perfect, but does very well.

The thing I like about transferring LD and VHS is that there are plenty of titles I feel either don't look as good on DVD or don't sound as good. The sound as good is a biggie since I find LD LPCM a tough act to follow. I prefer a high quality prologic surround to many a discrete surround DD5.1 I've heard . Course, that's entirely individual preference.

Two example titles (of a bunch) where I prefer my homebrew DVD are "Eddie & The Cruisers" and 'The Wall: Live In Berlin" -- the second of the two transferred from my pre-recorded ex-rental VHS copy (totally killer ). Another preferred LD transfer is "The Andromeda Strain", the DVD lost for me in both catagories (as it did also with "The Wall" -- yep, I think the VHS tape looks better than the DVD ).
post #120 of 1090 Old 03-14-2007, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yates View Post

I think that's "Rituals". Only on DVD in a very bad German version.

I believe you are right.

Saw that the night before a camp trip when i ws a teen ager. Bad timing. Good flick.

-Steve
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page