Forum Jump: 

post #1771 of 1782 Old 11-26-2009, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcru View Post

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately it seems to be pausing and unpausing on both USB and DVD so I don't think it's the lens I want to try updating the firmware but I'm afraid that if I do that, it'll pause/unpause and end up bricking itself.

I checked out BestBuy here in Vancouver and they don't seem to even have any Philips DVD players here . Though I did see that they sell the 5990 at Dell for some reason.

I'll look into the Pioneer you posted if Dell doesn't pan out to well.

Thanks

I'm not sure if this will help .can you open the cover and check the motherboard for bad/bulging caps.it's easy to replace them if you know how to do it + caps are cheap.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...ht=philips+dvd

I still think u need to update the player to the latest firmware before u do anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1782 Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 AM

What is the opinion about the upscaling on this player VS. the upscaling on a new LED tv or on the Sammy 3600 Blu Ray player.
post #1773 of 1782 Old 04-13-2010, 01:31 PM

I've owned my DVP5982 for almost 2 1/2 years now, and it has recently developed a serious disc reading flaw: Inserting a disc does not give the usual chirping/whirring sound, so I instead can hear only the laser servo moving. This continues for 1-3 minutes while the LED display shows "LOAD". After enough failed attempts, the LED display shows "NO DISC".

I took the liberty of opening the top case and watching a disc-load operation, and the problem became very apparent: The disc is not spinning up to a fast enough speed. The culprit appears to be a Samsung spindle motor part JQ24-35I350F. I cannot tell if the problem is the motor itself, or something that powers it.

After some time, the disc started spinning at the proper speed and the LED display showed "STOP". I put the case back together and connected the HDMI cable back on and watched the video as normal. It worked for a while, but now when I power it up, sometimes I get this problem and other times it works fine.

Could this perhaps be a faulty disc motor with corroding internal contacts somewhere? This is very disappointing that it wasn't built to last even 3 years, if so.
post #1774 of 1782 Old 07-15-2010, 09:19 PM

what is the latest firmware for this player.
post #1775 of 1782 Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gondalguru View Post

Regardless ... it's antiquated POS

Most people don't know what they want...but, they're pretty sure they haven't got it. ©

post #1776 of 1782 Old 07-16-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondalguru View Post

37.07.32.43 You can find it here.
post #1777 of 1782 Old 07-19-2010, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl View Post

Regardless ... it's antiquated POS

Be nice now. Some of us like antiques that still work good.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

post #1778 of 1782 Old 12-08-2010, 10:23 AM

My DVP5982/37 is still doing great, but I spotted what looks like an updated version on Amazon for only $39, so I picked it up. It's the Philips DVP3560/F7 and it looks like an updated version (brought out in early 2010) of what I already have.

It hasn't been delivered yet, and I couldn't find a thread for it here, so I wondered if anyone here has any experience with that model.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

post #1779 of 1782 Old 01-01-2011, 04:02 PM

I stumbled on this forum and thread today searching once again for the annoying problem about how the 5982 randomly lists files from a USB drive. I have to give a big thanks to madtadder for posting about FAT Sorter quite a few pages back in this thread. That little program worked like a charm and only took a few seconds to resort a 16GB drive.

I've had my 5982 for what seems like ages now, 3+ years, and I still love it, it still works perfect. It was just that annoying thing about not being to sort by filename that irked me into thinking about replacing it. Trying to watch episodes when you have no way to keep them in order was that annoying to me that I was ready to trash this unit.

But I had to register here just to give a big thanks for that info, I'm a happy camper again with my old trusty 5982. May it live another 3 years!

Edit: Blah, couldn't post links to the program or specific post in this thread, but just Google "FAT Sorter" and you'll find it probably first link on the page, and the original post with the links is on Page 55 in this thread about halfway down.
post #1780 of 1782 Old 01-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post

I stumbled on this forum and thread today searching once again for the annoying problem about how the 5982 randomly lists files from a USB drive. I have to give a big thanks to madtadder for posting about FAT Sorter quite a few pages back in this thread. That little program worked like a charm and only took a few seconds to resort a 16GB drive.

I've had my 5982 for what seems like ages now, 3+ years, and I still love it, it still works perfect. It was just that annoying thing about not being to sort by filename that irked me into thinking about replacing it. Trying to watch episodes when you have no way to keep them in order was that annoying to me that I was ready to trash this unit.

But I had to register here just to give a big thanks for that info, I'm a happy camper again with my old trusty 5982. May it live another 3 years!

Edit: Blah, couldn't post links to the program or specific post in this thread, but just Google "FAT Sorter" and you'll find it probably first link on the page, and the original post with the links is on Page 55 in this thread about halfway down.

I still have my 5982 and it still works great. I've never noticed the ramdom file orders that you mentioned, but I think I know why it's doing it. It will put files on the USB drive in the order that they are put on. I've noticed that when I, for example, highlight 4 files to put on the stick, and use the last one I highlighted to 'right click' on to copy, it will put that one on first. The way to make sure this doesn't happen is to go up to the first one you highlighted, and right click that one to copy. Try this and see if it works.

As for the DVP3560 I mentioned in my previous post, I was right. It's basically an updated version of the 5982. It has some nice features, settings, and longer filenames for the USB drive too. One great thing is that you can put an audio CD into the drive, a blank USB stick into it's connection, hit one button on the remote, and it will rip the CD into MP3 files and put them on the stick.

73, K5ING (Jeff)

post #1781 of 1782 Old 01-01-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5ING View Post

I've never noticed the ramdom file orders that you mentioned, but I think I know why it's doing it. It will put files on the USB drive in the order that they are put on. I've noticed that when I, for example, highlight 4 files to put on the stick, and use the last one I highlighted to 'right click' on to copy, it will put that one on first. The way to make sure this doesn't happen is to go up to the first one you highlighted, and right click that one to copy. Try this and see if it works.

That trick usually works if you're copying just a few files, I just tried it. When I copy files to my USB drive though I'm usually copying as many as 30+ files, and it's not just a matter of last file being placed first... they can end up pretty well scattered and not transfer in any particular order as you would think they would be. Yes, I could copy them one by one, but that really takes way too much time to sit and wait watching for 30+ files to transfer to do manually that way rather than just copying/pasting 30 at once, walk away and come back when done.

So the FAT Sorter program worked out absolutely great and fast.
post #1782 of 1782 Old 01-09-2011, 10:12 PM

Just pulled this puppy out of the garage after almost 3 years of no activity. Never knew it was a divX player! It is taking the spot of the XBMC upgraded XBOX in the outdoor theater.

Are there no custom FW for this thing?

Mine is at 37.07.32.43...

Was there ever a source for 56.25?
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)