Can I connect DVD player to LCD monitor? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-27-2007, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think you can connect a regular DVD player to a LCD monitor (not LCD TV, but the one you use with your PC). Is there any special DVD player can do that? I don't watch TV, just DVD movies. So if there is an such special DVD player, I'll be interested in it.

Thanks,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

What inputs do you have? Because I have HDMI inputs on my 23" monitor...
post #3 of 11 Old 04-27-2007, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mine is Dell 1907FP. I don't think it has HDMI, but it has DVI. Does it help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWisconsin97 View Post

What inputs do you have? Because I have HDMI inputs on my 23" monitor...

post #4 of 11 Old 04-27-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
You can get a DVI/HDMI cable if the DVD player outputs using HDMI. I'm not 100% certain it will work, as I'm not as familiar with LCD monitors, but I don't offhand know a reason why it wouldn't. You would have to have an A/V receiver or some such to handle the audio, though.

There is a special DVD player that can be used with a computer monitor. It's called a computer with a DVD drive. (But I'm assuming you don't have one available, hence the question.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 11 Old 04-27-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You must be sure that the monitor is hdcp compliant to display any picture if you are going to use a dvi to hdmi adaptor,
if not then you will need a transcoder.

De-interlacing explained:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rainbow effect? :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lou
post #6 of 11 Old 04-27-2007, 02:51 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomX View Post

I don't think you can connect a regular DVD player to a LCD monitor (not LCD TV, but the one you use with your PC). Is there any special DVD player can do that? I don't watch TV, just DVD movies. So if there is an such special DVD player, I'll be interested in it.

Thanks,

Tom

I've done it with the Oppo 971, which has DVI without HDCP. The aspect ratio wasn't quite right,as my monitor, a little Viewsonic, doesn't expect 4:3 or 16:9 images.

There is a patch for disabling HDCP on the Oppo 970 and 981 HDMI: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=832356

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #7 of 11 Old 04-28-2007, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomX View Post

I don't think you can connect a regular DVD player to a LCD monitor (not LCD TV, but the one you use with your PC). Is there any special DVD player can do that?

Yes, there are several - many of the Chinese brands (Kingwell, Neodigits,...) have VGA out. - DR
post #8 of 11 Old 04-30-2007, 11:49 AM

I have a Sony DVPNC85H/B 5-Disc HDMI DVD/SA-CD/CD Progressive Scan Changer and wanted to use my 19" flat panel monitor with DVI to watch movies. I tried the HDMI to DVI cable but it wouldn't work. I found out that the monitor was not HDCP compatible. I just bought a Sceptre X20WC Gamer which does have HDCP and still cannot get a picture on the screen. They just won't recognize each other.
I've just ordered the optional DVI to component RCA cable from Sceptre and am hoping it works.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-30-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't you folks already have a PC hooked up to these monitors? Why would you want to hook up a DVD STB as well?

Bob
post #10 of 11 Old 04-30-2007, 12:53 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmcgee View Post

Don't you folks already have a PC hooked up to these monitors? Why would you want to hook up a DVD STB as well?

Inquiring minds want to know if it works, and how well.

I used it for early experiments in scaling and progressive scan, and to convince myself that I would be happy with the LCD "look" as compared with my little CRT TV.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #11 of 11 Old 04-30-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wile666 View Post

I've just ordered the optional DVI to component RCA cable from Sceptre and am hoping it works.

That cable will not work ,you need a transcoder for that...

De-interlacing explained:

Rainbow effect? :

Lou
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page