Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1139 Old 10-12-2007, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

That don't sound good. Audio issues ain't my forté, but do you have the same issue with the other audio outputs as well? And have you tried tinkering with any of the settings in both the Audio Settings and Initial Settings menus to see if that helps?

Okay, here's a quick update on the situation. I tried out a different HDMI cable and saw the issue I had with the video appearing to display slower than the audio lessen quite a bit. I went and exchanged the HDMI cable and the "issue" disappeared by about 70%. Not fully gone, but much better. I also went to my audio setup and looked at each and every button and setting that I could find. I found one button that I had never used before, and discovered that it was a time delay setting. For some weird reason, the speakers were set with a delay that was causing a great deal of this "synch" issue. I changed all the delays back to 0 and then looked over the setup with a fine toothed comb to make sure there was nothing else I overlooked.

Finally, I can say that the issue is approximately 95% resolved. There is still a VERY small noticeable effect, but I'm attributing that to the DVD itself (All of the Star Wars DVDs) and the fact that I used to watch them on a tiny, 17" LCD screen on my computer. Going up to a 42" LCD screen makes tiny flaws in the film stand out a lot more so I'm just seeing things that I couldn't see before due to my setup constraints.

Overall, I'd say that this problem is resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1139 Old 10-12-2007, 11:47 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Awesome!

ADU
post #363 of 1139 Old 10-12-2007, 11:50 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBrudzinsky View Post

Why don't you just exchange with another Pio unit and see if another one works for you well.

Well, I tried 4 different units in all, each manufactured in different months, one as recently as August '07. I'm afraid the dealers near me will get pissed if I try to buy/return any more of these players.
Quote:

In my case with Pioneer DV-400V I do not have any issues as you described. Mine is working flawlessly and nicely like a charm. Very pleased with.

I believe that. And would not even go so far as to say I was displeased with the 400V. The player has many positive qualities.
Quote:

You forgot to mention that Pioneer supports MPEG-4 (DivX, XviD and etc.) video formats payback and can also playback SD WMV (Windows Media Video) format.

Thanks for catching that. Another one I forgot was the lack of lingering icons in the Pio's Zoom mode. (When zooming on the Sonys, a small icon always remains present on-screen). Added all these to the list.
Quote:

Also has more (with wider range) image quality adjustment / enhancement controls.

From what I could see, the basic video adjustments were about the same on both players, except for the add'l Gamma control on the Pio. Both have Brightness, Contrast, Color, Hue and Sharpness adjustments. The Sony also has some preset video configurations.
Quote:

Both players are pretty much equal in respect to DVD-Video picture quality and up-conversion quality and capability.

I'd tend to agree with that. Both do a comparably good job with regular film-based DVDs. The differences were mainly in the details. And I suspect many folks would indeed find a preference for the Pioneer for some of the factors mentioned above such as DivX, WMV, USB support...

ADU
post #364 of 1139 Old 10-12-2007, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am replacing pioneer for oppo 980H, with dvd audio, sacd, usb, ease of region free firmware, for around $70 more?
post #365 of 1139 Old 10-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I just grabbed one of these units tonight...I purchased a Panny 50" PZ77U as well...I wasn't sure which format I wanted to go with and the $$ BB pm CC, it was like I got it for nothing.
post #366 of 1139 Old 10-13-2007, 03:36 PM

Hey, I have a strange problem with my PIO 400v

I just bought it in a shop in belgium, went home ( in belgium ) and connected the DVD Player directly to my Beamer ( Optoma ). I ran initial setup , just used HDMI on 1028*780p which in the maximum resolution of my beamer ( HD Ready ). I watch a movie and shut down everything

Now when I wanted to see another movie, I had no image, my beamer stated : Source Found 1024*768 @ 60Hz , but no pio logo! Reset to 480p and ran the same setup, and I will not go higher anymore , I always get a black screen!

Can someone help me!?
post #367 of 1139 Old 10-13-2007, 09:41 PM

How do you get srt subtitles to display on this player?

The srt file is not listed on the menu (but it *is* there).
Pressing the subtitle button doesn't make it display.
I made sure the srt file is named exactly the same as the DivX file so I know that's not the problem...

Edit: The subs play just fine and dandy on my PC.
post #368 of 1139 Old 10-13-2007, 11:15 PM

I think I've stumbled onto something that fixed it.
It's not the player's fault - it's a faulty nut at the keyboard, haha!

I ran the srt file through DivX Land Media Subtitler and it popped up with some errors.
I let it fix those and saved to srt, burned onto a DVD+RW and this time, the subs displayed. (after pressing the subtitle button on the remote).

I see that Media Subtitler changed some characters (such as music note symbols to "&") though.

It's getting late so I'll have to deal with that hopefully tomorrow.
Progress for me anyway!
post #369 of 1139 Old 10-14-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

Sorry, no info on that zoro.

Re firmware though, I've noticed I get different results on my DVI-based TV depending on what firmware is contained on these Pioneer players. Some will display 720p/1080i via the (HDCP-compliant) DVI input on my Sony 34XBR800 CRT, and some will not. The ones that do not display 720p/1080i are units that contain the latest firmware: YGB7516A.

Units with the older firmware, YGB73281, seem to work OK though for the most part via DVI on my TV.

According to Pioneer, units made between January and May of '07 should have shipped with the older firmware (though it's possible some resellers may have updated it). These older units have serial numbers beginning with GA, GB, GC, GD & GE. (GA=Jan, GB=Feb, and so on...) Models built in June through August should have the newer firmware (ie the one that does not work properly via DVI on my Sony TV), and serial numbers starting with GF, GG & GH. Serial numbers are listed on the outside of the box, and also on the back of the unit.
Code:
Serial  Month    Firmware   720p/1080i via
#:      Mfr'd:   Included:  DVI on my TV:

GA...   Jan 07   YGB73281
GB...   Feb 07   YGB73281
GC...   Mar 07   YGB73281
GD...   Apr 07   YGB73281   Yes
GE...   May 07   YGB73281

GF...   Jun 07   YGB7516A   No
GG...   Jul 07   YGB7516A
GH...   Aug 07   YGB7516A   No
If you're having trouble getting this model to work on a DVI display, you might want to look for a unit with the older firmware (and avoid updating to the newer firmware for the time being).

(Tks to the OP for info on how to check the firmware version.)

I saw this problem with a newer manufactured unit (GG) when I was connected to a 40" LCD which only has a DVI (no HDMI and not HDCP compliant), this set is 3 years old. I was going to try to find an older version (with older firmware) but we were using it with one of our other displays.

Yesterday, I purchased a Onkyo TX-SR705 (has 1.3a HDMI support), connected my D* HD box to HDMI 1 and the Pioneer to HDMI 2, display connected to the 705 via a HDMI cable and HDMI to DVI converter). The Pioneer is now working on that display. I went through my DVD collection and have had no problems with any titles of have tried - and they look great with the Pioneer's upscaling.

I don't know what to make of this, perhaps there is some issues there that will be addressed in a future firmware update, though I doubt I will upgrade mine.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #370 of 1139 Old 10-14-2007, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I got this player from BB today and found 16:9 Compress Mode is available on HDMI only and not on Component
(this was already in the manual which I did not notice earlier)
I would be mostly using component. It also does not do upconversion on component.
My be this is going back. I got it for a really good price after PM at BB.
post #371 of 1139 Old 10-14-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

..I would be mostly using component. It also does not do upconversion on component.
My be this is going back. ....

ASFAK All DVD/DivX players within the same price range that you can get in your local electronics stores do not do up-conversion via component. 480i/480p only. Up-conversion feature is only available via HDMI. Not sure about OPPO or similar to OPPO players. May be they do.
post #372 of 1139 Old 10-14-2007, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBrudzinsky View Post

ASFAK All DVD/DivX players within the same price range that you can get in your local electronics stores do not do up-conversion via component. 480i/480p only. Up-conversion feature is only available via HDMI. Not sure about OPPO or similar to OPPO players. May be they do.

I agree. Upconvert is not may main issue. It's the pillar boxing feature which is missing on component.
post #373 of 1139 Old 10-16-2007, 11:20 AM

My first post on these forums but thought I would give my experience with the DV-400V player.

I got my player through the local Radio Shack which got it by special order from Pioneer. I have had it for about 2 weeks or so. I have it connected by HDMI directly to my Samsung LN-4665f HDTV (love this tv by the way). I am quite satisfied with the Picture quality. It upscales to 1080P quite well on my HDTV.

Now the down side. As some have mentioned it's the sound. I have an older (maybe 4 years old) Yamaha HTR-5450 receiver which I have loved since i got it. Since the receiver lacks HDMI and the DV-400V only has Coaxial audio, I have it connected to the one Coaxial input on my receiver (it's labeled "CD", if that makes any difference). Any way with this hook up I get no surround sound through my 5.1 setup. Normally I get good sound. As an alternate connection I have gone from HDMI to my TV then from TV to Receiver with Optical. It comes in as Dolby pro-logic PCM. Some surround but not as good as the surround when viewing HD Cable.

Also, although the video is better on my Pioneer the sound from my older non upscale Sony DVD player is much better which comes in as digital.

I have tried all (I think all) audio combinations on my Pioneer but nothing helps.

I do like the remote and the onscreen display.

I am considering getting a new Onyko TX-SR705 receiver, both to help with this problem and because I want to upgrade anyway. From what I have read here on this forum I am not sure the new receiver will help.

Lonesomedave
post #374 of 1139 Old 10-16-2007, 06:12 PM

Lonesomedave,

I'd guess the coaxial input labeled "CD" on your receiver is not surround sound capable. I'm just now putting together my 7.1 system and the 705 is on my short list of receivers. Go for the upgrade and you'll be golden.
post #375 of 1139 Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

OK guys, so i got my DV-400V and connected its HDMI output to my HDTV input and its coaxial digital output to my receiver's input (i bought an inexpensive JVC receiver to use in my dining/kitchen area that does not have HDMI inputs).
After making sure that i selected "HDMI RESOLUTION" at 1920x1080P and "HDMI DIGITAL AUDIO" to " ON", i get no sound from my speakers when watching dolby digital/DTS encoded dvds, and i found out that whenever one connects the DV-400V via HDMI to a tv that can accept such input, the audio coming through " COAXIAL DIGITAL OUTPUT" is DISABLED !!!! Damn you, Pioneer !
So now i'm stuck : either i connect the dvd player to my HDTV using analog video connections and bypass the HDMI connection (which doesn't make sense, since i made sure that my HDTV had HDMI inputs when i purchased it) and get dolby digital/DTS through the coaxial digital output from the DV-400V, or use the HDMI connection and not get any dolby digital/DTS through its coaxial digital output (which doesn't make sense either), or sell my JVC receiver and buy another receiver that has HDMI inputs (why should we be forced to do so due to poor implementation of basic features of a dvd player ?), or find another dvd player that outputs dolby digital/DTS through both its HDMI and coaxial digital and sell my brand-new Pioneer DV-400V ! .....Great, thanks Pioneer, the fun never ends....
I wonder now whether or not this applies to all dvd players that have HDMI outputs : when one uses the HDMI connection, all other digital audio output connections are automatically disabled ?
Any suggestions would be appreciated >>>
-------------------------------------------
Marcos

Has this been fixed via firmware upgrade? Otherwise, this player is a big no go for me. Gotta have the flexability to listen on TV, or Stereo.

thanks.
post #376 of 1139 Old 10-16-2007, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesomedave View Post

My first post on these forums but thought I would give my experience with the DV-400V player.

I got my player through the local Radio Shack which got it by special order from Pioneer. I have had it for about 2 weeks or so. I have it connected by HDMI directly to my Samsung LN-4665f HDTV (love this tv by the way). I am quite satisfied with the Picture quality. It upscales to 1080P quite well on my HDTV.

Now the down side. As some have mentioned it's the sound. I have an older (maybe 4 years old) Yamaha HTR-5450 receiver which I have loved since i got it. Since the receiver lacks HDMI and the DV-400V only has Coaxial audio, I have it connected to the one Coaxial input on my receiver (it's labeled "CD", if that makes any difference). Any way with this hook up I get no surround sound through my 5.1 setup. Normally I get good sound. As an alternate connection I have gone from HDMI to my TV then from TV to Receiver with Optical. It comes in as Dolby pro-logic PCM. Some surround but not as good as the surround when viewing HD Cable.

Also, although the video is better on my Pioneer the sound from my older non upscale Sony DVD player is much better which comes in as digital.

I have tried all (I think all) audio combinations on my Pioneer but nothing helps.

I do like the remote and the onscreen display.

I am considering getting a new Onyko TX-SR705 receiver, both to help with this problem and because I want to upgrade anyway. From what I have read here on this forum I am not sure the new receiver will help.

Lonesomedave

Have you tried setting the Pioneer's digital audio output to bitstream? I think that may be your problem. If you are sending it PCM, I believe that means the player has already decoded the stream and is sending the audio to your receiver. If you send it a bitstream signal, then the receiver will decode the audio stream as it's intended be it dolby digital or dts.
post #377 of 1139 Old 10-16-2007, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Does it has new firmware available?
post #378 of 1139 Old 10-16-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder18 View Post

Have you tried setting the Pioneer's digital audio output to bitstream? I think that may be your problem. If you are sending it PCM, I believe that means the player has already decoded the stream and is sending the audio to your receiver. If you send it a bitstream signal, then the receiver will decode the audio stream as it's intended be it dolby digital or dts.

My receiver has Dolby decoder and DTS in it also.

But these are my settings on my Player for the Initial Settings on Digital Audio Out

Digital Out-------------On

Dolby Digital OUt------Dolby Digital

DTS out-----------------DTS

96 kHz Out-------------96kHz

MPEG Out---------------MPEG

HDMI Out---------------Off

I am not sure what PCM does for the audio. I do seem to have some surround with it set to PCM on "Digital OUt".

And, of course, I get better sound, but not better surround sound on DTS with those DVDs that have DTS encoded. I am checking it now with the movie "Open Range" and the gun fight scene

Lonesomedave
post #379 of 1139 Old 10-16-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Does it has new firmware available?

According to the above list, It is the latest build. Having the GH prefix on the SN.

Lonesomedave
post #380 of 1139 Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Did any one compare this with oppo 980H?
post #381 of 1139 Old 10-17-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:

But these are my settings on my Player for the Initial Settings on Digital Audio Out

I am not sure what PCM does for the audio. I do seem to have some surround with it set to PCM on "Digital OUt".

And, of course, I get better sound, but not better surround sound on DTS with those DVDs that have DTS encoded. I am checking it now with the movie "Open Range" and the gun fight scene

Lonesomedave

Hi,

This is only a suggestion.

Connect the Coaxial audio from the Pioneer to the one Coaxial input on your receiver.

Only change your

to

HDMI Out---------------Auto

Leave the rest unchanged.

I believe you should get surround sound 5.1 now.
post #382 of 1139 Old 10-17-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visiting View Post

Hi,

This is only a suggestion.

Connect the Coaxial audio from the Pioneer to the one Coaxial input on your receiver.

Only change your

to

HDMI Out---------------Auto

Leave the rest unchanged.

I believe you should get surround sound 5.1 now.

Does putting HDMI Out = Auto allow for the audio to be sent to either out the HDMI, or the coax to the receiver? need to be able to hear it on both without having to go into the menu and change something everytime I want to hear the audio on the receiver.
post #383 of 1139 Old 10-17-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Lonesomedave

Ooops. It looks like i misunderstood the user manual. I dont think my suggestion would work. Just disregard my earlier post.

My apologies. My bad.
post #384 of 1139 Old 10-17-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinSDiego View Post

Does putting HDMI Out = Auto allow for the audio to be sent to either out the HDMI, or the coax to the receiver? need to be able to hear it on both without having to go into the menu and change something everytime I want to hear the audio on the receiver.

I'm sorry but I have no idea.

I made the earlier suggestion when i was going through the user manual. I think HDMI Out should only affect the audio going out via HDMI. Which was not what Lonesomedave wanted.

I'm still using crt with component cable for my setup.
post #385 of 1139 Old 10-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry but I have no idea.

I made the earlier suggestion when i was going through the user manual. I think HDMI Out should only affect the audio going out via HDMI. Which was not what Lonesomedave wanted.

I'm still using crt with component cable for my setup.

Nope. I tried that. What I am doing now is to connect HDMI to my tv then connect by optical digital from TV to my receiver. I get surround but don't think it's 5.1

My old Sony which is not upscaling has better sound and 5.1 With that I go video with S-vidio and audio with Optical into my receiver and then s-vidio into my tv.

Lonesomedave
post #386 of 1139 Old 10-17-2007, 03:07 PM

Thanks. Looks like I will go with the Sony NS77.
post #387 of 1139 Old 10-17-2007, 07:11 PM

Guys,

I bought Pioneer DV 400V from Amazon and I got it today. I could play some of the mp3, images and divx files. however it could NOT play some divx/avi files from here

avsforums thread id 819468 (sorry couldn't post links as i am new here)

1080p got only audio. 480p said can't play the file. While playing the 1080p i got on the display saying that - ''the video resolution of this file is not supported". Did you anyone of you had similar issues with these files? Is there something wrong with my player or these files corrupted? (pc plays them fine, though)
post #388 of 1139 Old 10-18-2007, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinSDiego View Post

Thanks. Looks like I will go with the Sony NS77.

Hi,

According to previous postings in this thread, dv-400 is able to send audio out to both hdmi and digital out. Read postings #163, #165, #180.
post #389 of 1139 Old 10-18-2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:

Nope. I tried that. What I am doing now is to connect HDMI to my tv then connect by optical digital from TV to my receiver. I get surround but don't think it's 5.1

My old Sony which is not upscaling has better sound and 5.1 With that I go video with S-vidio and audio with Optical into my receiver and then s-vidio into my tv.

Lonesomedave

I'm glad you figured out an acceptable compromise workaround for your setup.
post #390 of 1139 Old 10-18-2007, 06:02 AM

Quote:

I'm glad you figured out an acceptable compromise workaround for your setup.

Yes. I suppose. Just that I hate it when things don't work like I think they should. I do like the picture quality. I know some have thought it no up to snuff but to me it is fine.

I will upgrade my receiver I think. I am about to pull the trigger on the purchase of the Onyko TX-SR705. I knew I would have to do this eventually when I got my Samsung LN-4665F HDTV this May. (which is a fine LCD, by the way). Then if I can't do much better with that addition, I might get a different Player. But this time I will do more research. I thought I had before but it seems I had not.

thanks for the replies

Lonesomedave
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page