Originally Posted by javs1979
I still hesitate to use the new firmware. I don't need multi-region support and I know the player works real good with DivX/XviD videos out-of-the-box (certification helps). Some say : « if it works, don't fix it ! »... guess they're right.
I am still holding on the upgrade because its not actually an upgrade its more of a moded firmware of the latest version.
So from reading around I can say that they got the divx STR subtitle display enlarged (yup it is painfully small), changed the screen saver and splash screen (something including a dragon) and the colors and of the menus and length of the displayed file name.
well, the modifications are nice to have, but if you really dont need multiregion support and always use idx's merged into your divx files (no STR problem) then I would doubt you would risk fix something thats not broken.
ofcourse the original firmware is available if you want to flash it back (but again who knows ..)
I am holding my horses waiting for an upgrade that would address some real usability concerns :
- displaying divx menu whenever a the disc is inserted into the player (no actual reason to keep the splash screen and wait for you to press menu because thats what you would be doing any way)
- multispeed fast forward and rewind through divx files (all budget tight players do so, and LG 831 that use same MediaTek chipset also does so)
- divx, mp3, jpg's browsing under a single menu, there is no real reason why you have to switch the whole mode especially if you have them coexist on the folder on your disc.
- the ability to pan and scan 16:10 input on 16:9 displays, currently 16:10 inputs (true cinema aspect ratio) are letterboxed for 16:9 output, sometimes one would be willing to crop the picture to get a full screen view of the movie. funny thing my visionquest divx player used to do that by default, I used it for 7 months without noticing any distortion, till I did a side by side comparison with the pioneer and noticed that image is clipped from all four sides, yet one would be happy to have such control.
- bigger STR divx subtitles (referring to the original firmware not Hakan's), I really find it hard reading English subtitles on a 42" HDTV sitting 5 feets away.
it would be really much asking Hakan to address concerns like that, his region free mod was everything anyone would ever dream about for this player. But one should expect a company like Pioneer to really address users concerns and update the firmware, so lets all start shooting them emails (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Sorry for the long email but I had to let it out