Pioneer DV-400V Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 1139 Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
aasoror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhego View Post

Just received mine from W00T today. I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times, but will an external HD work thru the USB to play Divx movies? I'm planning to get the Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1 TB Hard Drive. Will there be stuttering due to the large capacity?

Hello,
no problem, external HD should work through USB to play Divx movies, but it has to be in FAT32 and it has to be externally powered as well. I dont know if it would ever work if you left it unpartitioned, you need to experiment with that, someone reported that there is a limit to the number of readable entries in a single directory (files and folders) but you have to dig through the thread to find out the exact number.
If you are buying the HDD just for this player you should find a store with a good return policy just in case.

I do have a question for you, as you have just received this, can you confirm the manufacturing date and the firmware version on your unit ?
aasoror is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 1139 Old 02-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Member
 
LoneWolf15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

Actually it does, the screen saver is the black screen with the dark pink Pioneer logo. it doesn't move on the screen but rather disappears and pops up.

Hmm...if it pops up in the same location, it doesn't seem like much of a screensaver, unless you're saying it pops up in different locations without gliding across the screen. Didn't happen while I had it paused for two minutes --it must take awhile.

I did just find out according to the front of the unit that it should take RW media, though I haven't tried it. I don't need the USB port or RW capability, as I use my D-Link DSM-520 for playing DivX/Xvid/VOB files now.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
LoneWolf15 is offline  
post #633 of 1139 Old 02-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
aasoror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf15 View Post

Hmm...if it pops up in the same location, it doesn't seem like much of a screensaver, unless you're saying it pops up in different locations without gliding across the screen. Didn't happen while I had it paused for two minutes --it must take awhile.

I did just find out according to the front of the unit that it should take RW media, though I haven't tried it. I don't need the USB port or RW capability, as I use my D-Link DSM-520 for playing DivX/Xvid/VOB files now.

Yup, different locations, I can confirm that it was running after 10 minutes (when I checked back) but dont know when exactly would the screen saver start.
aasoror is offline  
post #634 of 1139 Old 02-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Member
 
panndder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the DV-400V and for some reason when using the HDMI output (on 16:9 or 4:3 settings) I only get a small 4:3 output (480i?) in the center of my screen. I have a 720p projector and when I set the output to 1280x720, I get no output and have to do the hard reset. When using component I get a full 16:9 output, but it appears that it is not upconverting. The results (small square) are the same when using USB, and the cable works fine with other devices. Also I can switch to my HD Tuner over HDMI and the picture is fine (widescreen, HD) so I believe it is not my display.

Any ideas? I tried different firmware but see no change.
panndder is offline  
post #635 of 1139 Old 02-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Member
 
jhego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

Hello,
no problem, external HD should work through USB to play Divx movies, but it has to be in FAT32 and it has to be externally powered as well. I dont know if it would ever work if you left it unpartitioned, you need to experiment with that, someone reported that there is a limit to the number of readable entries in a single directory (files and folders) but you have to dig through the thread to find out the exact number.
If you are buying the HDD just for this player you should find a store with a good return policy just in case.

I do have a question for you, as you have just received this, can you confirm the manufacturing date and the firmware version on your unit ?

Manufacturing date is Dec 2007, Region: 1 ROM Version: YGB7821A
jhego is offline  
post #636 of 1139 Old 02-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
aasoror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhego View Post

Manufacturing date is Dec 2007, Region: 1 ROM Version: YGB7821A

much appreciated
aasoror is offline  
post #637 of 1139 Old 02-02-2008, 05:54 AM
Member
 
LoneWolf15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by panndder View Post

I just bought the DV-400V and for some reason when using the HDMI output (on 16:9 or 4:3 settings) I only get a small 4:3 output (480i?) in the center of my screen. I have a 720p projector and when I set the output to 1280x720, I get no output and have to do the hard reset. When using component I get a full 16:9 output, but it appears that it is not upconverting. The results (small square) are the same when using USB, and the cable works fine with other devices. Also I can switch to my HD Tuner over HDMI and the picture is fine (widescreen, HD) so I believe it is not my display.

Any ideas? I tried different firmware but see no change.

Upconverting will not work over component vid connections, which max out at 480p resolution. It will only work with HDMI.

As to why 720p isn't working over your projector, my theory is that it could be your projector, as it the DV-400 is working well at 720p on my Panasonic 42" plasma. What make/model is your projector, and have you checked to see if there is a firmware update available for it?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
LoneWolf15 is offline  
post #638 of 1139 Old 02-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Member
 
panndder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The projector is the Mitsubishi HD1000U. As I said, it works fine with other HD signals. A quick Google search yielded no firmware resources, but that doesn't mean they're not out there.

EDIT: After trying the DVD player/HDMI cable out on a 17" LCD I have (720p) it worked fine. So what I'm left looking at is an older DVD player (Bravo D1, DVI->HDMI) that works fine upconverting to 720p with the projector but this one won't do 720p with the projector, but it will with something else.
panndder is offline  
post #639 of 1139 Old 02-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Member
 
LoneWolf15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by panndder View Post

The projector is the Mitsubishi HD1000U. As I said, it works fine with other HD signals. A quick Google search yielded no firmware resources, but that doesn't mean they're not out there.

EDIT: After trying the DVD player/HDMI cable out on a 17" LCD I have (720p) it worked fine. So what I'm left looking at is an older DVD player (Bravo D1, DVI->HDMI) that works fine upconverting to 720p with the projector but this one won't do 720p with the projector, but it will with something else.

You may wish to go to pioneerfaq.info and see if one of the other firmwares for the Pioneer player fixes things. Maybe going to the DVI-HDMI compatible firmware will help. I know it's a stretch, but worth a try.

http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/d...tion=Firmwares

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
LoneWolf15 is offline  
post #640 of 1139 Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Newbie
 
nes-t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, great site and group here! Just want to thank everyone for the post that fixed my problem getting the 1080i video to work via DVI cable. Just downloaded the firmware, burned it to a CD and popped in the machine and boom, worked flawlessly. I'm way more happy with my 400v now! Thanks again and keep up the good info!

nes-t
nes-t is offline  
post #641 of 1139 Old 02-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Newbie
 
javs1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, heard of it some time ago from a great French Canadian forum, Québec Audio.

Had a Pio 578A-S for three years and decided to upgrade to a DV-400V-K 3 days ago. I found transcoding videos to be a real pain in the ass and I wanted a DVD player with DivX/XviD support, a USB port... and 1080p upconverting just in case I decide myself to spend cash on a plasma display later while waiting for the BD vs. HD-DVD war to end.

I tested the player using a genuine LOTR:FOTR DVD, some DivXs/XviDs and mp3s. PQ is good, playback from USB and DVD runs flawlessly. Nothing to say about it for now. It is also a third less pricy than the Oppo DV-980H.

I was wondering if someone could post some screenshots of what the Hakan's firmware update looks like once it's installed ? Is it possible to customize the firmware update to suit specific preferences ? (screensaver, fonts, colors, etc..) ? If so, how ?

Sorry if my english isn't perfect...

Thanks !
javs1979 is offline  
post #642 of 1139 Old 02-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Newbie
 
alikHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
to javs1979 -- your English is perfect, dont worry about it! my French on the other hand....

Anyway i just tought i'd post my $0.02 about the DV-400V for any new users who are thinking of buying one. I just picked up a 2nd hand DV-400V from Yahoo Auction here in japan, and am very impressed with it.
This thing is a beast. It plays just about anything i throw at it. Even some dual-layer DVD+R DL discs that i thought were coasters cuz they had errors at the end of the burn - i tossed them in, and it played them fine. Both PAL and NTSC dvdrs play perfectly. Movies burnt onto DVD-R DL and DVD-RW were both fine as well.

DivX and Xvids with idx+sub or srt subtitles both play perfectly with nice image quality. Divx subs in idx+sub format look perfect, just like a DVD, but srt subs are a little on the small side, but fine by my standards (good position and still readable size). One thing it did not play was an Xvid that was encoded (by an idiot) at 800 x ??? resolution, and one bad AVI that was not interleaved properly (but was fine once i re-muxed it with VirtualDub on my PC). One WMV file i also tried also played fine.

The USB feature is really handy. I've been using it for stuff i wanna watch quickly without burning onto CD first like TV episodes etc. I used my old Toshiba 5GB MP3 player as a portable HD, and plugged it into the usb port. Files play just fine off the portable HD, but the read speed was significantly slower. Also, seeking forward or backward was extremely sluggish and inaccurate compared to using cds/dvds. I havent tried a high-speed usb flash drive yet but am intending to pick one up for that purpose.

I would like to flash the firmware to make it region free though... anyone who's tried the Hakan firmware-- are all the options etc from the original firmware still intact? is the interface the same? Do divx/xvid SRT subtitles look better??
alikHz is offline  
post #643 of 1139 Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Newbie
 
javs1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikHz View Post

to javs1979 -- your English is perfect, dont worry about it! my French on the other hand....

Anyway i just tought i'd post my $0.02 about the DV-400V for any new users who are thinking of buying one. I just picked up a 2nd hand DV-400V from Yahoo Auction here in japan, and am very impressed with it.
This thing is a beast. It plays just about anything i throw at it. Even some dual-layer DVD+R DL discs that i thought were coasters cuz they had errors at the end of the burn - i tossed them in, and it played them fine. Both PAL and NTSC dvdrs play perfectly. Movies burnt onto DVD-R DL and DVD-RW were both fine as well.

DivX and Xvids with idx+sub or srt subtitles both play perfectly with nice image quality. Divx subs in idx+sub format look perfect, just like a DVD, but srt subs are a little on the small side, but fine by my standards (good position and still readable size). One thing it did not play was an Xvid that was encoded (by an idiot) at 800 x ??? resolution, and one bad AVI that was not interleaved properly (but was fine once i re-muxed it with VirtualDub on my PC). One WMV file i also tried also played fine.

The USB feature is really handy. I've been using it for stuff i wanna watch quickly without burning onto CD first like TV episodes etc. I used my old Toshiba 5GB MP3 player as a portable HD, and plugged it into the usb port. Files play just fine off the portable HD, but the read speed was significantly slower. Also, seeking forward or backward was extremely sluggish and inaccurate compared to using cds/dvds. I havent tried a high-speed usb flash drive yet but am intending to pick one up for that purpose.

I would like to flash the firmware to make it region free though... anyone who's tried the Hakan firmware-- are all the options etc from the original firmware still intact? is the interface the same? Do divx/xvid SRT subtitles look better??

Great then. Thanks ! Was not sure because I don't use any slang at all. However, I may be easier to understand for non-English natives...

I still hesitate to use the new firmware. I don't need multi-region support and I know the player works real good with DivX/XviD videos out-of-the-box (certification helps). Some say : « if it works, don't fix it ! »... guess they're right.

Hakan, I saw you posted on this forum, if you read this post, is it possible to see screenshots of what the firmware actually looks like once it's installed ? Are legal considerations preventing you from doing this ?

Thanks again.
javs1979 is offline  
post #644 of 1139 Old 02-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
aasoror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by javs1979 View Post


I still hesitate to use the new firmware. I don't need multi-region support and I know the player works real good with DivX/XviD videos out-of-the-box (certification helps). Some say : « if it works, don't fix it ! »... guess they're right.

Thanks again.

Hello,
I am still holding on the upgrade because its not actually an upgrade its more of a moded firmware of the latest version.
So from reading around I can say that they got the divx STR subtitle display enlarged (yup it is painfully small), changed the screen saver and splash screen (something including a dragon) and the colors and of the menus and length of the displayed file name.

well, the modifications are nice to have, but if you really dont need multiregion support and always use idx's merged into your divx files (no STR problem) then I would doubt you would risk fix something thats not broken.

ofcourse the original firmware is available if you want to flash it back (but again who knows ..)

I am holding my horses waiting for an upgrade that would address some real usability concerns :
- displaying divx menu whenever a the disc is inserted into the player (no actual reason to keep the splash screen and wait for you to press menu because thats what you would be doing any way)
- multispeed fast forward and rewind through divx files (all budget tight players do so, and LG 831 that use same MediaTek chipset also does so)
- divx, mp3, jpg's browsing under a single menu, there is no real reason why you have to switch the whole mode especially if you have them coexist on the folder on your disc.
- the ability to pan and scan 16:10 input on 16:9 displays, currently 16:10 inputs (true cinema aspect ratio) are letterboxed for 16:9 output, sometimes one would be willing to crop the picture to get a full screen view of the movie. funny thing my visionquest divx player used to do that by default, I used it for 7 months without noticing any distortion, till I did a side by side comparison with the pioneer and noticed that image is clipped from all four sides, yet one would be happy to have such control.
- bigger STR divx subtitles (referring to the original firmware not Hakan's), I really find it hard reading English subtitles on a 42" HDTV sitting 5 feets away.


it would be really much asking Hakan to address concerns like that, his region free mod was everything anyone would ever dream about for this player. But one should expect a company like Pioneer to really address users concerns and update the firmware, so lets all start shooting them emails (poccs@pioneer-usa.com)

Sorry for the long email but I had to let it out
aasoror is offline  
post #645 of 1139 Old 02-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Member
 
Nickio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello there! I recently picked up this Pioneer DV-400-V DVD player and i am very happy with it. My last player was a pioneer and i though it was a great player. however i do feel that i might have a defective unit. The pioneer splash screen logo almost looks to have the color bleed off into the black area of the screen. I infact see it happening on all the reds on this player. I already took this one back and got another one and the same problem is there....Does anyone else see this when their unit is on? its not my TV because i just bought a new 32in LCD and am using the same cables as i was before with the last pioneer DVD player. thanx for your help!
Nickio is offline  
post #646 of 1139 Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Newbie
 
javs1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To aasoror - I've just sent an email to Pioneer USA about the possibility to release a firmware update. I mentionned the issues you spoke of.

Hope other people will follow the move...
javs1979 is offline  
post #647 of 1139 Old 02-07-2008, 10:29 AM
M4P
Senior Member
 
M4P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

- multispeed fast forward and rewind through divx files (all budget tight players do so, and LG 831 that use same MediaTek chipset also does so)

I'm still trying to decide between the Pioneer or the Philips 5982. I know my cheap Coby player will fast forward & reverse at 2x, 4x and 8x on DivX files. What speed does the Pioneer do?

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
M4P is offline  
post #648 of 1139 Old 02-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
aasoror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by javs1979 View Post

To aasoror - I've just sent an email to Pioneer USA about the possibility to release a firmware update. I mentionned the issues you spoke of.
Hope other people will follow the move...

- Thanks for your support, we did pay the premiums and we should get our concerns addressed. the email address I listed in my message above is the one for Canadian customer support, and I have sent them an email, no reply yet but will keep you updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4P View Post

I'm still trying to decide between the Pioneer or the Philips 5982. I know my cheap Coby player will fast forward & reverse at 2x, 4x and 8x on DivX files. What speed does the Pioneer do?

- I think 4x, but didn't verify that for sure. Dont let the shortcomings I listed bias your decision, there is lots of postings here for users who swapped their Philips 5982 for Pioneer.
aasoror is offline  
post #649 of 1139 Old 02-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Newbie
 
electricsheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have to ask. Just bought the DV-400V-K and was wondering if the remote is suppose to light-up or glow when pushed? Does anyone know? I going to to try out this player tonight, but wanted to make sure something was not wrong from the beginning. My keys do not, but the remote appears to work fine. Like others have said, turning on the power from the remote seems to take a little while before the unit's display spools up. Thanks in advance. Great site.
electricsheep is offline  
post #650 of 1139 Old 02-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
aasoror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsheep View Post

Have to ask. Just bought the DV-400V-K and was wondering if the remote is suppose to light-up or glow when pushed? Does anyone know? I going to to try out this player tonight, but wanted to make sure something was not wrong from the beginning. My keys do not, but the remote appears to work fine. Like others have said, turning on the power from the remote seems to take a little while before the unit's display spools up. Thanks in advance. Great site.

mine doesn't glow either, although it looks like a normal backlit remote but it isn't I guess.
the power up delay isn't exclusive to remote, you got it also if you use the power button on the front panel.
Hope that helped,
aasoror is offline  
post #651 of 1139 Old 02-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Member
 
brlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlan View Post

Has anyone encountered this?

I have used both DVE and the THX calibration found on Star Wars discs to calibrate.
Anytime I set the brightness on my TV above 50, the blacks start getting green. The higher the brightness, the more green it gets. I can't seem to get rid of this green tint no matter how much I tweak tint and the other controls. The best I can do is a compromise of settings between the 400v and my Toshiba HL67 which sacrifices brightness, thus losing detail in blacks.

I know that Toshiba 1080 sets have problems with green push, but all I have read says the 720p set has no such issues.

Any thoughts? Thanks.



EDIT/UPDATE: I just tested the DV400V back to back with an older Samsung Upconverting model (HD860). I put all my TV settings (Toshiba REGZA 720p) to "movie" for both HDMI inputs. I used the THX optimizer included on the discs from an Indiana Jones DVD set.

The THX screen used for setting brightness looked much worse on the Pioneer... lots of green at 30% and 60% gray and some at the deepest end of the gray bars. The Samsung, which has inferior picture quality, displayed grays much more accurately and with very little tint of any kind.

I WANT TO MAKE CLEAR that this MAY be an issue specific to my Toshiba/Pioneer combination, since I have not heard anyone else on this thread mention any issues with green on this player. Also, Toshiba has had a lot of green issues reported on this forum with it's LCDs. So it is very hard for me to say where the problem really lies. I do know I have not had any green problems with any other source.

I have returned the DV400 to Best Buy. Were it not for this color issue I experienced, I would give this player a 9/10. I still recommend it to anyone who knows enough to calibrate/troubleshoot to see if you have any problems like I experienced. I honestly wanted to keep it. I was thrilled with every other aspect of this player.


_________________________________

UPDATE:

Well, after returning the DV400V I have purchased an OPPO 980H.
Apparently, there were NO issues at all with my DV400V, as I suspected. (I fixed the green through the service menu)
My Toshiba TV was entirely to blame for the excessive green I was seeing.
I have to give the 400V a very high recommendation. It does not have all the bells and whistles that the Oppo has, in terms of audio formats, but it is a great DVD player.

I would say the DV400V is about 90% as good as the OPPO for about for about 65% of its price. For around $100, I doubt you can beat it.

brlan with an "i"
brlan is offline  
post #652 of 1139 Old 02-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Member
 
Masou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picked up a DV-400V-K from Best Buy ($109 CAD) and promptly flashed it with the Hakan Firmware, works like a charm to play my PAL DVD's Excellent job you did on the FW Hakan!
Masou is offline  
post #653 of 1139 Old 02-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Newbie
 
javs1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masou View Post

Picked up a DV-400V-K from Best Buy ($109 CAD) and promptly flashed it with the Hakan Firmware, works like a charm to play my PAL DVD's Excellent job you did on the FW Hakan!

Hi all,

I decided to flash my DVD player with the Hakan firmware. Seems to work like a charm, too. A wider navigation menu with full-length titles is always a good thing.

However, I don't like the screen saver. It says "FAQ Pioneer" and the Pioneer word is cut out at the bottom. When I saw it, I almost felt like my player was broken. It is not... isn't it ?

I know, I'm a little bit nit-picky but why not asking for a decent screen saver when you've got the rest working fine ?
javs1979 is offline  
post #654 of 1139 Old 02-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Member
 
Fonet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your effort Hakan, however your modified V1.1 CP1250 firmware freezes my player on any attempt to use USB port. It reads content and freezes on attempt to play it. Switched back to your version 1.0 and it works fine. Are you aware of this bug?
Fonet is offline  
post #655 of 1139 Old 02-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Member
 
Fonet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikHz View Post

to javs1979 --
I would like to flash the firmware to make it region free though... anyone who's tried the Hakan firmware-- are all the options etc from the original firmware still intact? is the interface the same? Do divx/xvid SRT subtitles look better??

Yes and no. See above. You can try it on your player. It's easy and safe to flash it back and all versions of firmware are available on Hakan's web site. He did removed his tested by me and working fine region free version 1.0. If we will not hear from author and you need it then let me know where to send it.
Fonet is offline  
post #656 of 1139 Old 02-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Member
 
devotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After trying and returning the LG-831 and the Sony DVPNS78H. I have settled on the Pioneer, the picture quality on this player is superior compared to the forementioned. I am playing on a JVC 42" LCD

devotech is offline  
post #657 of 1139 Old 02-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
aasoror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by devotech View Post

After trying and returning the LG-831 and the Sony DVPNS78H. I have settled on the Pioneer, the picture quality on this player is superior compared to the forementioned. I am playing on a JVC 42" LCD

Actually the Pioneer and the LG-831 have the same mediatek chipset, which makes their PQ (in terms of MPEG processing, de-interlacing and upconverting) is the same, the LG has pluses of optical output and multispeed fast forwarding in divx files. But, the Pioneer has a color control setting menu, which the LG-831 lacks for no obvious reason, this was a deal breaker for me and I swapped the LG for the Pioneer without a glitch. you also get WMV as a plus on the Pioneer although personally I have no much use for that.
Just my 2 cents,
Regards.
aasoror is offline  
post #658 of 1139 Old 02-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Newbie
 
J_Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

Hello All,
I am trying to make my Toshiba TV universal remote work with this player.
the Toshiba manual lists codes 052,053,054,055 the best I could do with these codes is control the basic playback functions, power and menu.
Yet, the eject, subtitles, angle, audio, setup keys aren't working.
I would appreciate it if you can share a code that fully work.
Regards,

I free bump!! I'm looking too. My Panasonic TV remote works with it fine using 0525. However I just got an Onkyo TX-SR805 and so far all the Onkyo provided codes as well as 0042 and 0545 (from the web) don't do squat for the Onkyo remote.

Maybe 0525 will work for you, and maybe one of yours will work for me.

Nothing to see here, move along please......
J_Kennedy is offline  
post #659 of 1139 Old 02-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Member
 
HTPC_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Purchased the Pioneer DV-400 last night and so far I think it's a great player. I have the audio connected via digital coax and I hooked up both the component and HDMI outputs to my Mitsubishi HC1500 projector. I set the DVD player to 1080i and the picture looks excellent over HDMI, I think it looks better than the component connection. Recommended.
HTPC_Dude is offline  
post #660 of 1139 Old 02-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Member
 
na_tra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by javs1979 View Post

Hi all,

I decided to flash my DVD player with the Hakan firmware. Seems to work like a charm, too. A wider navigation menu with full-length titles is always a good thing.

However, I don't like the screen saver. It says "FAQ Pioneer" and the Pioneer word is cut out at the bottom. When I saw it, I almost felt like my player was broken. It is not... isn't it ?

I know, I'm a little bit nit-picky but why not asking for a decent screen saver when you've got the rest working fine ?

where do you get the file and the instruction? I could not get it from page 15 in this thread. error page.

Thanks
na_tra is offline  
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off