Pioneer DV-400V Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 1139 Old 08-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Member
 
AMMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sammamish WA
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Strat View Post

I saw the post on pg 1 regarding clock drift. Wondering if that's my problem or?... I have a new Toshiba Regza 1080p LCD.

When playing back 1080p from the Pioneer DV-400 the video goes scrambled right away. 1080i plays fine until after 30-45 min into the movie there are horizontal lines along the bottom that grow, and after some more minutes it will almost show a split screen effect. Have tried two diff. HDMI cables - same. The TV works fine using other 1080i/1080p inputs.

Questions
- is this the clock drift issue and if so are there any work-arounds?
- is my DVD player bad?

Thanks,
Mark

Acceptable HDMI formats as per Toshiba manual:

...............V. Freq.............H. Freq..................Pixel Clock Preq

1080i......59.94/60Hz.......33.716/33.75kHz......74.176/74.25MHz
1080p.....23.976/24Hz......26.973/27.0kHz.......74.176/74.25MHz
1080p.....59.94/60Hz........67.433/67.50kHz.....148.352/148.50MHz

Has anyone else seen this and offered a fix. Last nite was real bad, by the time the movie was over the lines were 3/4 up the 5080's screen. My DV-400 was set to 1080i. I could not find anything with the setups that would remove the lines until I reset the DV-400 to 1080P and that seemed to correct the immediate issue. Will see if it is OK long term or not. Shouldn't be a compatibility issue between two Pio devices I hope? Anyone have a fix?
Thanks
Mike

Mike
AMMO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 1139 Old 08-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Member
 
AMMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sammamish WA
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro View Post

I have a Sony KDF-E50A10, so I initially put this DVD player in 720p mode, figuring that it would be best to have it output in my TV's native resolution. Apparently not. While watching some stuff over the past week I started to notice horizontal lines, especially with objects in motion. It was noticeably bad. Worse than the cheap upscaling Toshiba I had before. So, this weekend I changed it to 1080i, and it looks perfect. Very odd. Has anyone else here set this thing in 720p and noticed the same?

Here is another with the horizontal lines problem, see my initial post above. Can anyone point me in the right direction to correct?
Thanks

Mike
AMMO is offline  
post #993 of 1139 Old 08-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Newbie
 
zagor64's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everybody,
I have upgraded the Pioneer to last official firmware but black lines still appears when I upscale 720p and 1080p. I realized that the problem is double upscaling between Pioneer and Sony LCD TV. I think that Sony LCD TV has very good upscaling and we don't need extra upscaling with Pioneer. So I leave the Pioneer HDMI upscaling setting 576p and video image perfect with no black lines anymore. I tried Philips and LG DVD,Divx Player with 720p,1080p upscaling before, the result is very bad but there was no blackline appear. So Pioneer is the best DVD,Divx Player I have ever seen. Continue with the Pioneer.
zagor64 is offline  
post #994 of 1139 Old 08-30-2008, 12:05 PM
M4P
Senior Member
 
M4P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkan
Check your settings in the Home Menu --> Initial Settings --> Digital Audio Out --> DTS Out --> should be set to DTS otherwise it is downmixed to PCM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4P View Post

Thanks, Hkan, I appreciate it. I believe this is how I have it set up, but will check when I get home from work.

Update: I had my settings on the Pioneer set correctly. I put in a movie I know is DTS, but still couldn't get DTS. So just for kicks, I clicked on the Language option in the DVD's menu and that's where I found was where you choose DTS (if I recall correctly, it's usually Sound Options where you would find this setting, not in Language, on my DVD's). Anyway, DTS now works fine.

I'm just curious, is DTS really better than Dolby Digital 5.1?

Lastly, how do most of you have color set up - RGB, Full RGB, or Component?

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
M4P is offline  
post #995 of 1139 Old 09-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Member
 
jjs2204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my 410 connected to my sammy LN46A 550. I have looked all over for help on the settings on the 410 and have seen none. Am I to set on default and let my Sammy do all the work? I also have a non upscale DVD player and haven't really seen any real noticeable differences in the quality. I would appreciate any insight as I try to better understand my options.
jjs2204 is offline  
post #996 of 1139 Old 09-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
aasoror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjs2204 View Post

I have my 410 connected to my sammy LN46A 550. I have looked all over for help on the settings on the 410 and have seen none. Am I to set on default and let my Sammy do all the work? I also have a non upscale DVD player and haven't really seen any real noticeable differences in the quality. I would appreciate any insight as I try to better understand my options.

Although you might get a better luck at the 410 thread, but given the fact that the 400 and 410 has the same upscalar chip, I think an answer from here might be beneficial.
All HDTV has there own upscaling chips so the input can be mapped to the native resolution of the display. If you have an 2007+ display its more likely that the display is outperforming the player.

I have 42" 2007 Regza display and I didn't notice any visible difference between the following:

- Toshiba HD-DVD player 1080p upscaling (one of the top tier upscaling chipsets)
- DV400v 1080p upscaling (midrange upscaling chipset)
- Philips progressive player (no upscaling done)

Hope that helped,
aasoror is offline  
post #997 of 1139 Old 09-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Member
 
r-gordon-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received my new Pioneer DV-400V-K today (modified to play as an all-region player). The all-region mod. seems to work fine. My problem is with something quite different. I have a wedding video on a 78,877 KB .wmv file which has been burned to a CDr. When I insert the CDr into the DV-400V, the disc loads and when I press "play", only the file's audio plays. The video displays an error message, "The video resolution fo this file is not supported". Well, what resolutions of .wmv files are supported by the DV-400V? And how do I tell what resolution is of the file?

BTW, the CDr's file - its video & audio - plays fine on my laptop. Note, when I try to go into the DV-400V's "Disc Navigator" to display the file info., the screen just goes black.

The DV-400V is hooked up to my 5 year old Sony KE-42TS2U plasma set.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
r-gordon-7
r-gordon-7 is offline  
post #998 of 1139 Old 09-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Hkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 View Post

I received my new Pioneer DV-400V-K today (modified to play as an all-region player). The all-region mod. seems to work fine. My problem is with something quite different. I have a wedding video on a 78,877 KB .wmv file which has been burned to a CDr. When I insert the CDr into the DV-400V, the disc loads and when I press "play", only the file's audio plays. The video displays an error message, "The video resolution fo this file is not supported". Well, what resolutions of .wmv files are supported by the DV-400V? And how do I tell what resolution is of the file?

BTW, the CDr's file - its video & audio - plays fine on my laptop. Note, when I try to go into the DV-400V's "Disc Navigator" to display the file info., the screen just goes black.

The DV-400V is hooked up to my 5 year old Sony KE-42TS2U plasma set.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
r-gordon-7

Max resolution is: 720x576 (PAL) /720x480 (NTSC).
I dont know what program to use to check the resolution of a WMV file, but I gues if you click on properties and then choose Summary and Advanced it shoud show the resolution of the file!


Becouse you have the film in resume postion you can not go in to the Disc Navigator, you have to press Stop twice to exit resume and be able to enter the disc navigator.

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
Has "everything" for your Pioneer!
!!We need your support!!
Hkan is offline  
post #999 of 1139 Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Member
 
r-gordon-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Hkan! This morning I was able to get a copy of the .mwv file in 428 x 240 resolution and it played fine – a bit fuzzy on my 42” HD plasma TV, but it played. Turns out the larger file is 856 x 480 – just a little over the maximum 720 x 480 the DV-400 will play. Next, I’ll see if I can get the original 856 x 480 file saved to as close to a 720 x 480 resolution as possible to maximize the available image resolution.

I have another question/problem. I’m having trouble getting the DV-400V’s upconversion to work with my 5 year old Sony KE-42TS2U plasma TV.

My understanding is that to get upconversion to work, I have to hook up using HDMI. My Sony plasma TV is 5 years old and doesn’t have an HDMI input, but does have a DVI input. So, I was sold an “HDMI to DVI” cable and was told it would work – just need to also use a set of RCA cables for the audio, which is not a problem. I was also sold a DVI switch box because my Sony plasma TV has only one DVI input – and I need to share that DVI input with the DVI output of my digital HD cable box.

My Sony TV plasma supports up to 1080i and 720p – but (and I believe this is the problem) apparently the maximum resolution that Sony plasma TV will display is 1024 x 1080i or 1024 x 720p. So, when I hook the DV-400 to my Sony plasma TV using the “HDMI > DVI” cable, the only HDMI resolution that “works” is 720 x 480p. Trying to manually set the DV-400 to any other resolution (e.g. 1920 x 1080i or 1280 x 720p) simply causes the Sony plasma TV screen to go black (and then I have to reset the DV-400 back to it’s initial setting using “Standby |<<”.)

My understanding is that my Sony plasma TV downconverts the higher resolution digital HD cable box’s 1080i or 720p signals arriving through the TV’s DVI input to accommodate the TV’s maximum 1024 line resolution, but for some reason, it seems it won’t do that for the DV-400’s incoming signal…

Or - am I missing something?

Even though I thought that to use the DV-400’s upconversion at all I had to use the DV-400’s HDMI output, when I hook up using “Component” cables instead of the “HDMI > DVI” cable, I can manually set the DV-400 to “Progressive”, and seem to get the same 720 x 480p setting as when using the “HDMI > DVI”. So, I suppose in my case there’s no need to use the “HDMI > DVI” cable/DVI switchbox after all…

Is this all correct, or:

1. Is there any way I can successfully upconvert to anything higher than 720 x 480p?

2. If not, is there any other reason why the “HDMI > DVI” connection would be preferable to the “Component” connection? (If not, I might as well return the “HDMI > DVI” cable & DVI switchbox, which the vendor told me I can do, and use the “Component” connection instead…)

Thanks,
r-gordon-7
r-gordon-7 is offline  
post #1000 of 1139 Old 09-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
aasoror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 View Post


Is this all correct, or:

1. Is there any way I can successfully upconvert to anything higher than 720 x 480p?

2. If not, is there any other reason why the HDMI > DVI connection would be preferable to the Component connection? (If not, I might as well return the HDMI > DVI cable & DVI switchbox, which the vendor told me I can do, and use the Component connection instead)

Thanks,
r-gordon-7

1. The only firmware version that is reported to correctly work with HDMI-DVI is the official YGB7328I. The problem is the Hakan's firmware is based on the most recent official firmware (so it wont be compatible with your DVI display).
You might consider downgrading if you are willing to sacrifice "region free".

2. SD-DVD's wont be upconverted on component, so you will get only 480p via component cable.

Hope that helped.
aasoror is offline  
post #1001 of 1139 Old 09-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Hkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

............................
You might consider downgrading if you are willing to sacrifice "region free".

If player is multiregional, then it will remain multiregional when up/downgraded with an original fimrware.
I might modifiy the HDMI -> DVI OK firmware if it is a demand for it!

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
Has "everything" for your Pioneer!
!!We need your support!!
Hkan is offline  
post #1002 of 1139 Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Member
 
r-gordon-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkan View Post

If player is multiregional, then it will remain multiregional when up/downgraded with an original fimrware.
I might modifiy the HDMI -> DVI OK firmware if it is a demand for it!

Please excuse my public display of ignorance, but I bought my DV-400V as a region-free player from an on-line vendor that sells them that way. I have no experience with modifying these things myself (via firmware or otherwise).

Maintiaining region-free (and PAL) operation is crucial to me - I bought the DVD player primarily for that reason (my wife is from China and we have numerous Chinese DVDs - none pirated - the contents of which are only available in DVDs coded with China's Region code - and often only in PAL).

Right now they do play fine on the DV-400V - I don't want to risk losing that, even though also being able to upconvert (these Chinese DVDs and/or my US DVDs) to higher than 720 x 480p on my older Sony KE -42TS2U Plasma (w/ a DVI input but no HDMI input) would also be greatly appreciated.

What is entailed in "upgrading the firmware"? How does one do it, are there any dangers in doing it - and can it easily be "undone" if something goes wrong in the process, or if it causes other problems, incompatibilities or loss of features?

Thanks,
r-gordon-7
r-gordon-7 is offline  
post #1003 of 1139 Old 09-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Member
 
kbuzz3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My unit is just way too dark. Im using hdmi>DVI adaptor into my sammy dlp. Can anyone give me some advice about where to crank or decrease the factory video settings. Sorry if this has been covered before but i cant find it on a search.
The picture is starting to really annoy me as i cant even make out much of the background

As im sure most of you know these are the settings in the Video Adjust Menu

Sharpness (Soft, Standard, Fine)
Brightness (-20 to +20)
Contrast (-16 to +16)
Gamma (Off, Low, Medium, High)
Hue (Green 9 to Red 9)
Chroma Level (-9 to +9)
kbuzz3 is offline  
post #1004 of 1139 Old 09-20-2008, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
aasoror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 View Post


What is entailed in "upgrading the firmware"? How does one do it, are there any dangers in doing it - and can it easily be "undone" if something goes wrong in the process, or if it causes other problems, incompatibilities or loss of features?

Thanks,
r-gordon-7

I really hope you didn't pay much compared to the factory released version because here is what they have done any ways (hkan's firmware being the only multiregion released firmware ever available)
- chose a firmware version from here: according to hkan's you won't lose region free operation if you downgraded to the original firmware with "HDMI>DVI OK".
- follow the burn instructions here, only worth noticing tip is that you need to label the disc "PIONEER", and that it must be a CD not a DVD and a CDRW should work.
- Just notice "as usual" that you might brick your DVD player in the process, and you have already voided the manufacturer warranty by purchasing a hacked player to start with
aasoror is offline  
post #1005 of 1139 Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Member
 
kbuzz3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuzz3 View Post

My unit is just way too dark. Im using hdmi>DVI adaptor into my sammy dlp. Can anyone give me some advice about where to crank or decrease the factory video settings. Sorry if this has been covered before but i cant find it on a search.
The picture is starting to really annoy me as i cant even make out much of the background

As im sure most of you know these are the settings in the Video Adjust Menu

Sharpness (Soft, Standard, Fine)
Brightness (-20 to +20)
Contrast (-16 to +16)
Gamma (Off, Low, Medium, High)
Hue (Green 9 to Red 9)
Chroma Level (-9 to +9)

any help on this issue would be appreicated
kbuzz3 is offline  
post #1006 of 1139 Old 09-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Newbie
 
Adabisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone else having this problem?

I had the video output set to "Widescreen 16x9" and I noticed that 4:3 DVDs were stretched and not displaying properly.

I changed it to "Widescreen 16x9 Compressed" and that fixed the problem.

But, it has caused the reverse issue with 4:3 videos through the USB. Now with the video output set to "Widescreen 16x9 Compressed" 4:3 videos are stretched and not displaying properly. They display properly with the video output set to "Widescreen 16x9".

Is there a fix for this?
Adabisi is offline  
post #1007 of 1139 Old 09-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Member
 
r-gordon-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

I really hope you didn't pay much compared to the factory released version because here is what they have done any ways (hkan's firmware being the only multiregion released firmware ever available)
- chose a firmware version from here: according to hkan's you won't lose region free operation if you downgraded to the original firmware with "HDMI>DVI OK".
- follow the burn instructions here, only worth noticing tip is that you need to label the disc "PIONEER", and that it must be a CD not a DVD and a CDRW should work.
- Just notice "as usual" that you might brick your DVD player in the process, and you have already voided the manufacturer warranty by purchasing a hacked player to start with

No, I didn't pay too much extra - and for me, having it "pre-done" was worth it for the certainty of not turing my DV-400v into a brick - plus, the vendor warrantys the all-region mod and the unit (to compensate for the loss of factory warranty). To me, that's all well-worth the extra few dollars to have someone else do the mod. Too bad it didn't come with HDMI -> DVI OK firmware though, as I was not aware that upscaling wouldn't work going from HDMI -> DVI (and in fact, was initially told by the vendor that upscaling would work that way...)

If Hkan does develop the HDMI -> DVI OK mod, is there any chance of Hkan offering to install the mod (obvioulsy for a fee) if both the fee & shipping both ways is paid by the customer? Would be greatly appreciated by the weak of heart among us (e.g. me )

r-gordon-7
r-gordon-7 is offline  
post #1008 of 1139 Old 09-26-2008, 02:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Hkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you brick your player I'll help you get it back to life!
But here is no need to fear a update!
Just follow instructions!
Burn a CD-RW with the lable PIONEER, the name of the firmware file also have to be in capital letters, YGB7328I.BIN

Then pop it in to your player, close tray!
A screen will appear to invite you to press Play!
Press play! use Play on remote control, it seems to be best!
Player will now copy the file from the disc to it's memory!
Tray will open, just remove the disc, dont do anything else!
Go out to the kitchen and make your self a cup of coffe
Now you will again see the Pioneer Logo, player would say NO DISC and the update is finished!

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
Has "everything" for your Pioneer!
!!We need your support!!
Hkan is offline  
post #1009 of 1139 Old 09-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Member
 
r-gordon-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkan View Post

If you brick your player I'll help you get it back to life!
But here is no need to fear a update!
Just follow instructions!
Burn a CD-RW with the lable PIONEER, the name of the firmware file also have to be in capital letters, YGB7328I.BIN

Then pop it in to your player, close tray!
A screen will appear to invite you to press Play!
Press play! use Play on remote control, it seems to be best!
Player will now copy the file from the disc to it's memory!
Tray will open, just remove the disc, dont do anything else!
Go out to the kitchen and make your self a cup of coffe
Now you will again see the Pioneer Logo, player would say NO DISC and the update is finished!

Just to make sure that I understand this correctly...

If I follow the above instructions and install the YGB7328I.BIN firmware:

1. My "already-modded" all-region + PAL & NTSC DV-400V will STILL play all DVDs of all regions, and will STILL play both PAL & NTSC DVDs; and

2. My DV-400V will also then upconvert to something better than "720 x 480p" using the DV-400V's HDMI output into my 5 year old KE-42TS2U Sony Plasma's DVI input, even though my Sony Plasma (which supposedly supports both 720i & 1080p) has an actual maximum display resolution of "only" 1024 x 1024"?

In other words, after installing the YGB7328I.BIN firmware in my DV-400V: then, when using an HDMI -> DIV cable, I will be able to upconvert on my Sony Plasma (with its maximum resolution of "1024 x 1024") to something better than "720 x 480p"; and this will occur without losing the DV-400V's all-region and PAL & NTSC playback capability?

I just want to make certain that the answers to all the foregoing questions are "yes" before I risk proceeding with any changes to the firmware.

Thanks,
r-gordon-7
r-gordon-7 is offline  
post #1010 of 1139 Old 09-27-2008, 03:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Hkan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi!

The multiregional setting will remain as it is now!
The PAL/NTSC is actually alread set on your players pcb card.
If you open the player and have a look at the cards inside!
You will find both on the electric and digital card the word PAL/NTSC.

As usally I cant gurantee anything!
Firmware upgrading is allways done on your sole risk!
If you feel unsure, just don't do it!

What firmware version do you have now?

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
Has "everything" for your Pioneer!
!!We need your support!!
Hkan is offline  
post #1011 of 1139 Old 09-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Member
 
r-gordon-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unfotunately, I don't know what firmware is currently installed in my DV-400V, because I bought it online, already "region free" and didn't have to install any firmware myself. (I bought it from International Electronics, 546 Crossen Ave, ELk Grove Village, IL 60007 - http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/pioneer400.html).

Is there any way to display the firmware that's currently installed?

Thanks,
r-gordon-7
r-gordon-7 is offline  
post #1012 of 1139 Old 09-29-2008, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
aasoror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 View Post

Unfotunately,

Is there any way to display the firmware that's currently installed?

Thanks,
r-gordon-7

quoting pioneer faq:

How tell which firmware version your player has:
HOME MENU,INITIAL SETTINGS,go to OPTIONS (dont enter the submenu),press "DISPLAY" on the Remote Control
aasoror is offline  
post #1013 of 1139 Old 09-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Member
 
r-gordon-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you, aasoror. There was no mention of this in the manual - and I simply didn't recall seeing it in the "pioneer faq".

Anyhow, it displays as:

ROM VERSION : YGB7821A

r-gordon-7
r-gordon-7 is offline  
post #1014 of 1139 Old 09-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Newbie
 
Adabisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adabisi View Post

Is anyone else having this problem?

I had the video output set to "Widescreen 16x9" and I noticed that 4:3 DVDs were stretched and not displaying properly.

I changed it to "Widescreen 16x9 Compressed" and that fixed the problem.

But, it has caused the reverse issue with 4:3 videos through the USB. Now with the video output set to "Widescreen 16x9 Compressed" 4:3 videos are stretched and not displaying properly. They display properly with the video output set to "Widescreen 16x9".

Is there a fix for this?

Anyone? I can't be only person who's noticed this.
Adabisi is offline  
post #1015 of 1139 Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Member
 
kbuzz3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuzz3 View Post

My unit is just way too dark. Im using hdmi>DVI adaptor into my sammy dlp. Can anyone give me some advice about where to crank or decrease the factory video settings. Sorry if this has been covered before but i cant find it on a search.
The picture is starting to really annoy me as i cant even make out much of the background

As im sure most of you know these are the settings in the Video Adjust Menu

Sharpness (Soft, Standard, Fine)
Brightness (-20 to +20)
Contrast (-16 to +16)
Gamma (Off, Low, Medium, High)
Hue (Green 9 to Red 9)
Chroma Level (-9 to +9)

Can anyone help a brother out on this issue? Or at least guide me to a link that may have some suggestions? Id like to know if i have a duff player or its just my settings....thanks again
kbuzz3 is offline  
post #1016 of 1139 Old 09-30-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ed_in_tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW Dallas TX
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Did you try setting back to the factory defaults? You listed what adjustments are available, but did not say what they are set to, or what you have tried setting them to, so hard to say. I have a 410 myself and the gamma adjustment makes a big difference in the overall contrast and brightness.
ed_in_tx is offline  
post #1017 of 1139 Old 10-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Member
 
kbuzz3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post

Did you try setting back to the factory defaults? You listed what adjustments are available, but did not say what they are set to, or what you have tried setting them to, so hard to say. I have a 410 myself and the gamma adjustment makes a big difference in the overall contrast and brightness.

Ed in tex, thanks for replying. Out of the box the picture was too dark, so here is what i am set at after monkeying around. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated. Im not sure what would be recommended on the gamma setting.

sharp: fine
Brightness: +6
Contrast+ 6
Gamma: off
Hue: -0
Chroma: +2
kbuzz3 is offline  
post #1018 of 1139 Old 10-10-2008, 05:15 AM
Newbie
 
Maximusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuzz3 View Post

Ed in tex, thanks for replying. Out of the box the picture was too dark, so here is what i am set at after monkeying around. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated. Im not sure what would be recommended on the gamma setting.

sharp: fine
Brightness: +6
Contrast+ 6
Gamma: off
Hue: -0
Chroma: +2

kbuzz,

I have those settings, Pioneer DV 400

"Audio settings" equalizer - "POP",
Virtual surround - ON,
Audio-DRC - HIGH,
"Dialog" - HIGH.

"Sharpness" Fine
"Brightness" +7
"Contrast" +14
"Gamma" - LOW
"HUE" - 0
"Chroma Level" +2

Good luck,

some one have other good settings? be please to share with us.
Maximusion is offline  
post #1019 of 1139 Old 10-12-2008, 06:23 AM
Newbie
 
basico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using my dv-400v's analog audio output to drive my headphone amps for the first time. But I couldn't find a volume control on the remote control. What a surprise! Did I miss anything?
basico is offline  
post #1020 of 1139 Old 10-12-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
No, you didn't miss anything. audio outputs are usually fixed volume on DVD players. They're meant to be connected to receivers or TV's which have their own volume controls.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off