post #181 of 1139 Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish1050 View Post

Right you are!

I have had the OPPO DV-970HD for over a year now. I bought the Pioneer DV-400V for a second tv. I have to say the OPPO picture is better than the Pioneer DV-400V. The detail and color are superior. They both use Mediatek chips but OPPO has spent alot of time optimizing performance with the Mediatek chip and they definitely got it right. NO issue with using HDMI connection to tv and getting Dolby Digital and DTS through receiver at the same time. My Samsung HL-T5089 has USB 2.0 connection so I don't worry about only having USB 1.1 on the OPPO. You pay a small premium for the OPPO but it is definitely worth it. Have yet to find any disc, including DL and Divx that won't play on the OPPO. OPPO also has great customer support with regular firmware updates to improve performance.

fish1050

I need a player that will be a temporary solution until I pull the trigger on an HD TV. I'm more of an audio guy than a HT guy so my first priority is a player that will sound as good or better than my current Toshiba SD-1800 or, let's say. a Denon 1930CI in an analog(2CH) setup. I have an old Sony CRT(480i) so I don't really need HDMI, upconversion, etc. I find the picture on my Toshiba a bit dark at times so I'm hoping that either the Oppo or the DV-400 would be an improvement and it can't handle Divx, PAL like the newer models. But aside from that the Toshiba is actually a pretty decent little machine. It sounds good, has a simple menu and has proven to be very reliable over 5 years.
I don't want to trade off quality, reliability and ease of use for an inferior machine loaded with bells and whistles that I don't need.

Do you think the Oppo or Pioneer could be a good temporary solution or should I just wait for BR/HD-DVD ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1139 Old 07-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

As far as sound is concerned, if you use the digital coaxial output there should be no difference from one player to the next.
post #183 of 1139 Old 07-02-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

I just picked the 400V up last week, after returning the Samsung 1080P7. Out of the box, I am getting DD and DTS into my receiver via coax AND 2 channel audio into the TV via HDMI. For me, this is ideal. I'm guessing your TV is telling the 400V that it is DD/DTS capable? If so, that seems like a flaw that needs to be addressed, hopefully via firmware for the 400v.

The 1080P7 had choppy video and audio, locked up several times requiring unplugging and wouldn't display over 720P on my 1080P display. Would not even do 1080i. After a week, it wouldn't play any discs. It did look nicer on the shelf than the Pioneer though...

Yeah that jibes with what I heard on other sites about the Samsung 1080P7. Amazing how Samsung can make great tv's but they can't make a decent DVD player that works.

fish1050
post #184 of 1139 Old 07-02-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveD View Post

As far as sound is concerned, if you use the digital coaxial output there should be no difference from one player to the next.

Like I said I'm more of an audio guy than an A/V guy. I had a Yamaha RX-V1500 but went back to stereo setup as I was disappointed with its limited musicality.
Since I'm not using a surround receiver I need a player that has quality audio DAC(s) so I can get good sound using the analog output to my stereo pre-amp.
I keep hearing that Marantz, Rotel, Arcam, Cambridge are musical players but are in a different price range than Oppo or Pioneer and while Denon is more affordable it appears to be plagued with reliability issues.
There's never much talk about how these less expensive players sound. I want something that's as good or better sounding than my $89.00 Circa 2002 Toshiba SD-1800
I think I'll just pick up the Pioneer at BB and if it doesn't live up to expectations - back it goes.
post #185 of 1139 Old 07-02-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosapien View Post

I need a player that will be a temporary solution until I pull the trigger on an HD TV. I'm more of an audio guy than a HT guy so my first priority is a player that will sound as good or better than my current Toshiba SD-1800 or, let's say. a Denon 1930CI in an analog(2CH) setup. I have an old Sony CRT(480i) so I don't really need HDMI, upconversion, etc. I find the picture on my Toshiba a bit dark at times so I'm hoping that either the Oppo or the DV-400 would be an improvement and it can't handle Divx, PAL like the newer models. But aside from that the Toshiba is actually a pretty decent little machine. It sounds good, has a simple menu and has proven to be very reliable over 5 years.
I don't want to trade off quality, reliability and ease of use for an inferior machine loaded with bells and whistles that I don't need.

Do you think the Oppo or Pioneer could be a good temporary solution or should I just wait for BR/HD-DVD ?

Robosapien,

I use sell high audio and video equipment, we are talking $10,000+ systems and I did installs as well. In the last 5 years I have owned and demoed easily over 100 DVD players. I personally have owned the Toshiba SD-1800/2200/4700 and 4900, Denon 1910/2910, Pioneer Elite 45A/47a/79avi, Mitsubishi 8080, and Sony NS90V plus a few others that escape me now. I can say without hesitation that the only unit with better sound quality be it analog or digital than the OPPO DV-970HD is the Denon 2910. I would put the OPPO ahead of the 1910 which is an older version of the 1930CI. The OPPO is a universal player meaning it plays DVD-Audio and SACD. I know you mentioned only two channel audio but they specifically tweaked the analog audio to get the best possible analog sound. They state this on their web site. There alot of reviews on the OPPO including some on high end audio web sites and they all have good things to say about the OPPO 970's sound quality for music. The unit even has HDCD which is usually only found on higher end CD and DVD players.

I can try to sell you on the OPPO all day long so don't take my word for it. If you order one direct from OPPO they give you a 30 day no hassle rerturn policy. Since they don't sell the units in retail stores you can return it to them for any reason as long as it is in the original packaging. They ship the units double boxed and the player comes in a very nice black bag to keep it from getting scratched. Go pick up a Denon 1930CI and order the OPPO DV-970HD (I would recommend the 810 but it has no component video output) and do a comparison for yourself, that is the only way to guarantee you will be happy with your decision.

You mention waiting for Blue Ray and HD-DVD. I have yet to find anyone recommending them as audio players. Plus wth the DRM restrictions in place who knows what kind of restrictions there will be once a winner is declared. If a winner is declared they will be able to hit us with whatever restrictions they want. Digital audio quality will be downgraded to prevent piracy etc. At least with the current crop of SD-DVD players we can listen to what we want with relatively few restrictions and get pretty darn good sound quality.

Alot of people I know have bought the OPPO based on my recommendation alone since none had ever heard of OPPO and I have yet had anybody tell me they weren't impressed by the picture or sound quality and these are some pretty finicky people. I have had this OPPO for over a year, the longest I have ever owned a DVD player and I have yet to find a newer unit worth replacing it with until the HD war is settle anyway. I would consider the OPPO DV-810HD as it is 1080P but it has the Faroudja chip which causes macroblocking on DLP tv's like mine. Even then I will probably keep the 970 as my audio player.

fish1050
post #186 of 1139 Old 07-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish1050 View Post

I can try to sell you on the OPPO all day long so don't take my word for it.
fish1050

I've never given so much thought on such an inexpensive item.
I've been sold on Oppo for quite some time now and would have ordered one a long time ago were it not for the psychological barrier of owning an all chrome DVD player. That's why I was hoping the Pioneer would be a reasonable(more aesthetic) alternative. But how will it look/sound?
Due to reliability issues the Denon is out of the question.
post #187 of 1139 Old 07-02-2007, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosapien View Post

I've never given so much thought on such an inexpensive item.
I've been sold on Oppo for quite some time now and would have ordered one a long time ago were it not for the psychological barrier of owning an all chrome DVD player. That's why I was hoping the Pioneer would be a reasonable(more aesthetic) alternative. But how will it sound.
Due to reliability issues the Denon is out of the question.

I think a lot of us are having problems deciding whats the best inexpensive upconversion DVD player to purchase. :-)
The Pioneer DV-400 is black in the states, and aesthetically goes well in most peoples setup. Just to play devils advocate, I know test wise the Oppo has garnered some great reviews, and it represents good performance for its price, but not quite up to reference quality as some would like to see in a under $200 player. Several reviews of the Oppo do pick on its overall appearance as something you expect to buy in a Walmart, and that the disc caddy feels real flimsy. (watch the CNET video review) This image shows why some are concerned. Compare that to the image of a Pioneer DV-400. Heck even the Pioneer DV-400 silver version of the same player looks a lot better then the Oppo DV-970. Another competitor is the Sony NS75H to consider in all of this. Theres also the low cost Phillips DVP5960. Based on all the player freeze up issues the Samsung 1080P7 isn't even worth considering

Oppo Beta Group
post #188 of 1139 Old 07-03-2007, 03:06 AM

Is there anybody out there who has the DV-600? Is there any differences between the 600 and the 400 in PQ? As far as I understand is the main difference between them that the 600 has better sound quality.
post #189 of 1139 Old 07-03-2007, 04:04 AM

Is the 600 available in North America yet? I don't see it on Pioneer's website and the few comments/reviews I've seen are from the UK.
post #190 of 1139 Old 07-05-2007, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where is a good place to get this for sup $100 shipped??
post #191 of 1139 Old 07-06-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonviper04 View Post

well i got my from walmart for 104 shipped but i think there out of stock

Enjoy 1080p any way u can Up convert DVD Player- HD- DVD-Blu-ray-ps3-xbox-360-pc-input
post #192 of 1139 Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I believe, given that the oppo has superb audio and picture quality, per all the reviews, etc, it's very probably better than all the other dvdp's mentioned, so the looks won't play a role for people who really want true performance.
if this was a fashion show, then the pioneer is clearly better. but the quality of the oppo image posted is also a hell of a lot worse than the other images, which contributes to the lesser looks, i think.

[b]oppo's "flimsy" tray, per oppo digital, was designed as such on purpose, to take some abuse, and be flexible, and not break, and if you see Cnet's review of the 981HD, they mention that since they tested the 970HD a while ago, they NEVER had any trouble with 970 tray, and that it was still working fine at the time of 981 testing !"
here's the Cnet quote:
"...The DV-981HD sports essentially the same disc tray, in black. While it still appears to be fragile, we have to admit we haven't had a single problem with our DV-970HD, nor have we heard any reports of the disc tray snapping off. While it still may not be the best choice for those with little kids, the bend-but-don't-break disc tray may be more durable than it appears..."

and i know at least 5 people personally who have the 970HD newly bought when it first came out, and none of them said anything about the tray breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

I think a lot of us are having problems deciding whats the best inexpensive upconversion DVD player to purchase. :-)
The Pioneer DV-400 is black in the states, and aesthetically goes well in most peoples setup. Just to play devils advocate, I know test wise the Oppo has garnered some great reviews, and it represents good performance for its price, but not quite up to reference quality as some would like to see in a under $200 player. Several reviews of the Oppo do pick on its overall appearance as something you expect to buy in a Walmart, and that the disc caddy feels real flimsy. (watch the CNET video review) This image shows why some are concerned. Compare that to the image of a Pioneer DV-400. Heck even the Pioneer DV-400 silver version of the same player looks a lot better then the Oppo DV-970. Another competitor is the Sony NS75H to consider in all of this. Theres also the low cost Phillips DVP5960. Based on all the player freeze up issues the Samsung 1080P7 isn't even worth considering

post #193 of 1139 Old 07-06-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 View Post

I believe, given that the oppo has superb audio and picture quality, per all the reviews, etc, it's very probably better than all the other dvdp's mentioned, so the looks won't play a role for people who really want true performance.
if this was a fashion show, then the pioneer is clearly better. but the quality of the oppo image posted is also a hell of a lot worse than the other images, which contributes to the lesser looks, i think.

[b]oppo's "flimsy" tray, per oppo digital, was designed as such on purpose, to take some abuse, and be flexible, and not break, and if you see Cnet's review of the 981HD, they mention that since they tested the 970HD a while ago, they NEVER had any trouble with 970 tray, and that it was still working fine at the time of 981 testing !"
here's the Cnet quote:
"...The DV-981HD sports essentially the same disc tray, in black. While it still appears to be fragile, we have to admit we haven't had a single problem with our DV-970HD, nor have we heard any reports of the disc tray snapping off. While it still may not be the best choice for those with little kids, the bend-but-don't-break disc tray may be more durable than it appears..."

and i know at least 5 people personally who have the 970HD newly bought when it first came out, and none of them said anything about the tray breaking.

In a nutshell what people where expecting is a followup to the Pioneer DV578A/588A family with better audio performance then the DV-400 which the DV-600 possesses. If the DV-600 was out a lot more people would be happy. Oppo came out of nowhere in 2004 and produced a low priced decent performance 971 unit, and then came out with 970, 981 models.

These specs bother me:
Digital audio characteristics
Frequency response . . . . . . . . . . .4 Hz to 44 kHz
S/N ratio . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 115 dB
Dynamic range
DV-600AV . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100 dB
DV-400V . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 88 dB (why?)
Total harmonic distortion
DV-600AV . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0023 %
DV-400V . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0065 % (why?)

Oppo Beta Group
post #194 of 1139 Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonviper04 View Post

right now $79 @JR, I dont know abt shipping
post #195 of 1139 Old 07-07-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^^^ Thanks for the heads-up, I went to J&R this afternoon and got me a DV-400V for $79 + tax. Will be paired with a 32" 720p Vizio LCD for my sister, so based on TV brand I presume the Pio upscaler is the way to go. Right?
post #196 of 1139 Old 07-07-2007, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

^^^ Thanks for the heads-up, I went to J&R this afternoon and got me a DV-400V for $79 + tax. Will be paired with a 32" 720p Vizio LCD for my sister, so based on TV brand I presume the Pio upscaler is the way to go. Right?

let me know if you could region hack it!! that was my only prob with this player
post #197 of 1139 Old 07-08-2007, 07:30 AM

I just got this player and so far it seems like a great choice, even through component. The HDMI cable arrives tomorrow from Monoprice.

Mike
post #198 of 1139 Old 07-08-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Is there a U.S. version of the DV-600 coming to the States soon? The European version (though 220v) allows full DSD bitstream output (besides decoded MLP DVD-Audio to multi-channel PCM) via HDMI without a conversion to a lesser PCM resolution, so it looks like it's fully HDMI 1.2 compliant.

I want a fairly decent, yet inexpensive transport for my SA-CD's and DVD-Audio discs to an Integra DTC-9.8 pre-amp (probably) that accepts both multi-channel PCM and pure DSD bitstreams for decoding to pretty decent Burr-Brown DAC's. If I add bass management and the like on top then like everything it seems the DSD data will be converted to PCM.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #199 of 1139 Old 07-08-2007, 06:16 PM

Liked: 11
could someone tell me if the usb port is 2.0? Or 1.0?
post #200 of 1139 Old 07-08-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoakk View Post

could someone tell me if the usb port is 2.0? Or 1.0?

im pretty sure its usb 2.0

Enjoy 1080p any way u can Up convert DVD Player- HD- DVD-Blu-ray-ps3-xbox-360-pc-input
post #201 of 1139 Old 07-09-2007, 05:18 AM

Anyone eventually knows if there is any difference (picture-wise only) between this decent DVD player and its big brother, DV-600 ?

I'm not into SACD / DVD-Audio and wonder whether the extra cost of DV-600 is justified if only DVD-Video use is concerned...

My English is so rusty even Hammerite can't cope with it
post #202 of 1139 Old 07-09-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 View Post

here's the Cnet quote:

I have never had any issues with the OPPO 970HD in the 15+ months I have owned it and the tray is very sturdy even though it is quite thin. To get a DVD player with the performance and features of the OPPO for $150.00 you have to compromise somewhere. You can call the 970 cheap looking but it is a very solidly built unit. You can pay more for looks but in the end if it doesn't do a good job looks don't mean squat. Their parent company BTK is one of the largest OEM manufacturers of electronics in the world. They know how to make good products and and keep the costs down. I have had $300.00 plus DVD players including a Pioneer Elite and a couple of Denon's and I would put the OPPO 970 up against any of them. The Pioneer and Denon's had to be returned because of performance or compatibility issues. I have had the OPPO 970 longer than any DVD player I have ever owned.

fish1050
post #203 of 1139 Old 07-10-2007, 01:10 AM

Hello, I picked up the dv400 last week and so far no complains at all.
I hooked it up to an Benq PE8700 projector with a hdmi cable and using an HDMI-DVI adaptor for the projectors DVI input since it has no HDMI.

PQ looks great, looking at 1080i, the projector max resolution but a funny little problem occurs once and a while:
The HDMI light on the front of the player is sometimes blinking instead of constant on.
When I turn the player off and on again, the problem is gone, this seems to be random, I can turn the power off an on sometimes and have no problems but then later I have the blinking problem for a couple of tries.
There seems to be no difference in pq since the benq reports that's being feeded an
1080i signal.
The 'problem' that in de setup menu's the HDMI resolution and color setup are
grayed out and I only get to adjust the component settings, normally this is vice versa. Am I making any sense here ? (Since English is not my native language )
post #204 of 1139 Old 07-10-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh View Post

im pretty sure its usb 2.0

Someone posted earlier that the pioneer has a MediaTek MT1389FE chipset, in that case its going to be USB1.1
post #205 of 1139 Old 07-10-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
When using the DV-400V connected via HDMI, have you guys played around with the color control that has three options, FULL RANGE RGB, RGB and COMPONENT ?
Connected to my Mitsubishi native 1080p LCD, the interesting thing i noticed is that, even though the owner's manual recommends using the COMPONENT option, i found out that by selecting FULL RANGE RGB i get a noticeable increase in contrast, with black/dark grey areas of the scene improving markedly....I was never pleased with the "washed-out" blacks i was getting from my DV-400V using the recommended HDMI color option, whereas now i am pleased with the black level i am achieving.
It may be very well that by using FULL RANGE RGB i might have skewered the overall color towards a little reddish cast, but the improvement in black level and contrast more than make up for it, and besides, with the Mitsubishi i have the choice of fully adjusting the three primary and the three secondary colors, which i now plan or re-visiting with my test DVD, while still keeping the improvement in black level and contrast.
If you are not pleased with the black level of your display connected to the Pioneer DV-400 via HDMI, my suggestion is to play around with the HMDI color control and see if you notice any improvements like i did; It might surprise you...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcos
post #206 of 1139 Old 07-10-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 273
So, where is this mythical big brother DV-600 that people are comparing it to? Is it still the European model that's already out... or do people know when the U.S. version will be out?

Thanks.

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #207 of 1139 Old 07-10-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

So, where is this mythical big brother DV-600 that people are comparing it to? Is it still the European model that's already out... or do people know when the U.S. version will be out?
Thanks.
Dan

So far only available in Europe, not in the states. I see DV-600 owners from UK discussing the players.

Oppo Beta Group
post #208 of 1139 Old 07-10-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Thanks.

Dan

Pioneer seem to release some products in Europe way before they do in North America.
The A-A9-J and A-A6-J integrated amps were available in Europe early 2007. I asked a local dealer to call me when he got them. I had completely forgotten about it when he called me last week. I still can't find them on their US/Canadian websites.
post #209 of 1139 Old 07-10-2007, 09:09 PM

Hey all...

Just picked myself up this DV400 this weekend with my Sharp 42" 62U LCD

I currently have it hooked up via HDMI (1080P video) straight to my LCD and the Digital Coaxial Audio to my Pioneer VSX-816 Receiver.

I believe that I've successfully disabled the audio on the HDMI (thanks to this thread) so that its exclusively going through the coaxial to my better speakers.

HOWEVER, when playing DVD's that I KNOW are DD 5.1, when pressing the "audio" button on the remote it displays "Dolby Digital 3/2.1" on the screen.

The thing is, I AM hearing sound through my rear speakers (have a 7.1 setup), but I'm unsure if its just my receiver splitting a 2.1 sound across all speakers.

Can any suggest on how I can make the display say 5.1 or is this an inherent bug that always shows "2.1" when infact there is a 5.1 signal going through?

Thanks all!
post #210 of 1139 Old 07-10-2007, 09:52 PM

I've just got one DV-400V-K from BB, it plays DVDs and data DVD with Divx on them. But it could not recognize any of my CD-R or VideoCD written on my PC. What do you think, is it just defective unit and I need to exchange or it is incompatibility with my CD/DVD writers?

Update: it does not play any CD, even music. I'll return it.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page