Sony DVP-NS77H/S 1080p player - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 314 Old 09-22-2007, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought this today, after my 4yr old Panny RV32 went H07 belly up.

$99.99 at Circuit City.

Connected to a Samsung 30" slimfit CRT. Just using composite connections for the time being. My amp doesn't have HDMI inputs so I have to figure something out. The DVD player has a video sound offset, so I may be able to run upconverted video through an HDMI cable and the audio through an optical cable. But for now, it's not a big priority (maybe I'll ask for an HDMI cable for Christmas )

So far, very pleased. Between the picture enhancement and going from 480i to 480p, the picture is a marked improvement over the Panny--I really wasn't expecting that big a difference. Very sharp image, with rich color. Setup was ridiculously easy.

Drawbacks are minor--I'd prefer to have a full set of controls on the box itself instead of a bare minimum three buttons. But those slimline cabinets don't leave much room. I did look at a Denon that had a more traditional case, and thus, all the buttons, but that model didn't get the kind of reviews the Sony did. In addition, the markings on the buttons are very hard to read. I guess they reasoned that since their are only three buttons to begin with, you'll figure the arrangement out soon enough.

Remote feels a bit flimsy. On the plus side, the remote will also work the TV. On the downside, the remote has the bare minimum for the TV--power, input, volume. And, for reasons passing understanding, the remote has an open/close button on it.

I'll follow up in a week or two after I've watched some more movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 314 Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 AM

Has anyone compared this player to the Samsung DVD-1080P7? I'm looking for a low price upconverting player until the HD war is a little less bloody. I have some gift cards to BB, so my selection is limited to what they carry.

Thanks
post #183 of 314 Old 09-25-2007, 11:46 AM

Liked: 13
I think someone had a problem with audible hum coming out of one of the analog audio channels on the Sony NS77H. I had the same problem with that player which I bought recently and I exchanged it for a Pioneer DV-400VK which is working fine. I haven't used it enough to have a detailed impression but there is no hum coming out of the unit (which is hooked up the same way as the Sony was).
post #184 of 314 Old 09-25-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfiveash View Post

I think someone had a problem with audible hum coming out of one of the analog audio channels on the Sony NS77H. I had the same problem with that player which I bought recently and I exchanged it for a Pioneer DV-400VK which is working fine. I haven't used it enough to have a detailed impression but there is no hum coming out of the unit (which is hooked up the same way as the Sony was).

Thanks. I'm having trouble figuring out which unit offers better PQ at 1080p and audio support. My plan is to run a digital coax to my receiver and then HDMI to the TV...so no real worries about analog hookups.

Any one know if either the Sammy or the Sony can do HDMI+audio and Digital Coax at the same time...I don't always use the receiver when watching movies, like late at night when the baby is sleeping.
post #185 of 314 Old 09-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjacks View Post

Any one know if either the Sammy or the Sony can do HDMI+audio and Digital Coax at the same time...I don't always use the receiver when watching movies, like late at night when the baby is sleeping.

I don't know about the Sammy, but the Sony passes audio via the digital outs (optical and coax) and HDMI at the same time.
post #186 of 314 Old 09-25-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

No audible hum coming from my NS77H analog outputs. I just use HDMI for audio and video.
post #187 of 314 Old 09-25-2007, 06:00 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

No audible hum coming from my NS77H analog outputs. I just use HDMI for audio and video.

My issue is that I use the analog stereo out of the DVD player as a source for my stereo (I don't use the plasma display's audio) so the analog audio performance is important to me. Are you using the analog stereo out of your DVD player at all (you state you just use the HDMI)? If so, then how do you know if there is any hum coming from the NS77H analog audio outputs?
post #188 of 314 Old 09-25-2007, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My issue is that I use the analog stereo out of the DVD player as a source for my stereo (I don't use the plasma display's audio) so the analog audio performance is important to me. Are you using the analog stereo out of your DVD player at all (you state you just use the HDMI)? If so, then how do you know if there is any hum coming from the NS77H analog audio outputs?

I used the analog audio outputs for audio cd playback to compare the audio dacs from the NS77H and the audio dacs from receiver with HDMI. I connected the analog audio from this unit to my receiver and I noticed no hum sound on mute and even when I lowered the volume on my receiver's remote.
post #189 of 314 Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 AM

Does the Playstation 3 have better picture quality than the NS77H when upconverting standard DVDs to 1080i or 1080p assuming you have the latest PS3 updates? I want to know because I already have a PS3 and don't want to connect and spend on another player unless the PQ is better.

Then again, maybe I should just get a Toshiba HD-A2 player. But how does the Toshiba HD-A2/A20/XA2 compare to the Sony NS77H and PS3 for upconverting standard DVDs to 1080i/p?

Happy testing!
post #190 of 314 Old 09-29-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

BRAVIA Theatre Sync and Anynet+ are somewhat similar, both seem to automate the setup and remote control by using HDMI-CEC devices.

I use a Samsung HLT-6189S LED DLP display, and naturally I tried the Samsung 1080P7 at first. Since the HDMI settings are 480P/720P/1080P I tried 1080P first. The movie (Fifth Element - superbit) was overly grainy and seem to have a problem with dark reds. I started to adjust the picture and the 1080P7 locked up. I had to pull the plug, in order to restore operation of 1080P7. I had read this player locked up, but didn't expect it to be so bad. Returned the Samsung Player to the store.

When the Sony DVP-NS77H came out a few weeks later, I tried it and ran through the same scene and the picture was barely grainy unless you looked real close. Since the Sony allows 480P/720P/1080i/1080P I went down to 1080i and the picture was perfect (very sharp and no noise). I adjusted a few settings and found DVP-NS77H made a mockery of the 1080P7 video and sound-wise. If you want a low cost DVD player with easy setup via HDMI, excellent PQ and Audio, then I highly recommend this player.

You have to share the secret on how to make the 77H work with my Samsung HLT6187.

When I hooked it up through HDmi cables...the picture was grainy, flat, and color not robust. I gave up after trying to optimize settings and back to my Panasonic 480p with component cables.

Any possibilities I got a bum Sony 77H?
post #191 of 314 Old 10-04-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDin07 View Post

I am in the exact same boat as you as I have the 77H hooked up to a 42PX77U. Very unimpressed with the PQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJA88 View Post

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have been getting a noisy, grainy looking
picture with the Sony 77H dvd player. I have tried every setting I could
and NO difference in picture quality. I have it hooked up thru HDMI on my
Panasonic TH-58PX60U plasma tv. Is there a setting that I am not aware of ?
I am dissapointed right now. The picture quality is not what I expected.
I want a somewhat clearer picture from something that is higher resolution.
Any thoughts on settings to make the picture clearer ????

I agree - I have been pretty unimpressed and found the 1080p output to my Sony 46v2500 to be very grainy. After watching a movie last night I switched over to 1080i and checked a few scenes. I felt it was a major imporvement but I hardly did any comparison so will spend some more time today doing so and also seeing how things look at 720p and even at 480.

I've never been sold on the upscaling dvd players - it's all marketing hype if you ask me and I laugh at the utter nonsense spewed by salespeople at places like CC and BB - ridiculous. At $99 I find it hard to believe they a dvd player is going to offer better pq than by allowing the tv to upscale and deinterlace. I only bought the NS77h to a) get hdmi output and b) a smaller case as my older Sony and Pioneer players do not have hdmi and are too tall for my rack in it's current configuration (the NS77 barely fits!)
post #192 of 314 Old 10-04-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Costa CA View Post

You have to share the secret on how to make the 77H work with my Samsung HLT6187.

When I hooked it up through HDmi cables...the picture was grainy, flat, and color not robust. I gave up after trying to optimize settings and back to my Panasonic 480p with component cables.

Any possibilities I got a bum Sony 77H?

An update to... I decided to test to see if I received a bum NS77 and bought another unit at Fry's (because they had a sale at $79). Hooked it up with hdmi and it works! No grainy pictures. More vibrant colors.

Even if it doesn't have a dramatically improved picture...what I like about it is for my Samsung HLT-6187...it allows me a few additional functions on the TV by sending a signal in 1080 'i' or 'p'. Such as picture aspect of 'justscan' which I prefer. So just for that...it is worth the additional say $20 I would spend for a non-upscaling unit.

Also...I would recommend spending a few moments going through the setup screens. You can optimize your picture fairly well.

So I am now thinking that if anyone have grainy pictures...return and exchange for another unit. And look into your TV capabilities to see if upscaling to 1080 will assist beyond just picture quality.
post #193 of 314 Old 10-06-2007, 04:47 PM

My son an I watched Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer with this DVD player and even he said it looked great. I returned the Philips 5982 for this Sony and it definitely is a cleaner image on my 96" screen projected from Panasonic AX100U. However, 1080p doesn't look that great on my projector. I have it set to 720p as that seems to be the best image quality with my projector.
post #194 of 314 Old 10-06-2007, 08:33 PM

this player today a Best Buy for 79 total. It was on sale, and no tax in VA this weekend plus a reward coupon. So far its already better then my Samsung 1080p7. I've had that in for repairs twice now.

Only two issues I got is no included batteries. (how cheap).

The remote seems a bit to sensitive I keep skipping ober what I want.
post #195 of 314 Old 10-07-2007, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie411 View Post

Only two issues I got is no included batteries. (how cheap).

Mime came with batteries. From BB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie411 View Post

The remote seems a bit to sensitive I keep skipping over what I want.

Yep. Gotta be careful. I'm developing a lighter touch.

David
post #196 of 314 Old 10-07-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikedorian View Post

Mime came with batteries. From BB.

Yep. Gotta be careful. I'm developing a lighter touch.

David

Oops, found them, musta fallen out on the floor when I took it out.
post #197 of 314 Old 10-19-2007, 02:50 PM

Okay so I bought the panny 50pz700u 2 weeks ago loved it!!!No cash left for hidef or blue ray, so I just bought the NS77h, rented two movies from store, will report back to you my feedback(if it is worth anything).
post #198 of 314 Old 10-19-2007, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Costa CA View Post

An update to... I decided to test to see if I received a bum NS77 and bought another unit at Fry's (because they had a sale at $79). Hooked it up with hdmi and it works! No grainy pictures. More vibrant colors.

Even if it doesn't have a dramatically improved picture...what I like about it is for my Samsung HLT-6187...it allows me a few additional functions on the TV by sending a signal in 1080 'i' or 'p'. Such as picture aspect of 'justscan' which I prefer. So just for that...it is worth the additional say $20 I would spend for a non-upscaling unit.

Also...I would recommend spending a few moments going through the setup screens. You can optimize your picture fairly well.

So I am now thinking that if anyone have grainy pictures...return and exchange for another unit. And look into your TV capabilities to see if upscaling to 1080 will assist beyond just picture quality.

Glad the second unit had a lot better PQ for you.

For my HLT-6189S I use a Oppo 980H at 1080P which has terrific PQ, but for my other smaller LCD display the NS77H is a excellent performer for its price.

Oppo Beta Group
post #199 of 314 Old 10-19-2007, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN99 View Post

I agree - I have been pretty unimpressed and found the 1080p output to my Sony 46v2500 to be very grainy. After watching a movie last night I switched over to 1080i and checked a few scenes. I felt it was a major imporvement but I hardly did any comparison so will spend some more time today doing so and also seeing how things look at 720p and even at 480.

I've never been sold on the upscaling dvd players - it's all marketing hype if you ask me and I laugh at the utter nonsense spewed by salespeople at places like CC and BB - ridiculous. At $99 I find it hard to believe they a dvd player is going to offer better pq than by allowing the tv to upscale and deinterlace. I only bought the NS77h to a) get hdmi output and b) a smaller case as my older Sony and Pioneer players do not have hdmi and are too tall for my rack in it's current configuration (the NS77 barely fits!)

Its not marketing hype if you utilize a better quality upconverting DVD player. For example you could be watching fifth element and see some video noise at 1080P and a lot less noise at 1080i such with NS77H on a 1080P display. Try the same movie on a Oppo 980H at 1080P and its clean of noise. So if you utilize a better video processor in a high quality DVD player, yes you do see immediate benefits to upscaling. In fact the superbit version of fifth element looks better on a 980H SD-DVD player then watching it on BluRay player!

Oppo Beta Group
post #200 of 314 Old 10-19-2007, 04:57 PM

Here it is... GREAT player. No problems with grainy video, nice clean clear quality. Just viewed King of South Beach. I was truly impressed with the quality of picture that this dvd player was able to provide. To think I payed 90 bucks(current price at worstbuy, and circity) for this...well I think it is the best 90 bucks I put into my HT setup! My plan now ...enjoy this player till the BR and HIDef war is settled, and or the prices of either come waaay down.
post #201 of 314 Old 10-20-2007, 08:27 PM

Just watched Surfs Up. Since it was animated, kicked it up to VIVID, amazing! I can't beleive how good this player is . In the past I would watch maybe 2 videos a month with my old dvd player and 34xs955. Now with the panny 50pz700, and the ns77h, I watched 5 videos today,and can't get over how good they look. I am sooooo happy I only spent 90 bucks on this instead of 300-400 plus on blue ray, or hidef. Maybe I am easy to please, but I never was in the past. If you are on the fence get this player, they will take it back if you are unhappy. I expected to be brining this player back so I did not even open the remote. I just had to try it to know for sure. IT IS NOT GOING BACK! I also lucked out at BJ's with a hdmi 12' hdmi 1.3 cable for 12 bucks (it scanned as a 12' chord for 32, but it was in the 6' section marked 12 bucks, last one and they gave it to me for the 6' price of 12 bucks. Only troubles I have are timing on the audio with my sony stre955 and polk audio speakers,with the TV audio, when using them at same time as I use audios from TV they are off a frcation causing an annoying echo, cleared for now by turning off the audio feed from TV, and just using the exrernal sound Through the reciever
post #202 of 314 Old 10-21-2007, 02:56 PM

I watched Surf's Up too last night on my Panasonic AX-100u off of the Sony DVP-NS77. While it looked good, earlier in the day we watched Happy Feet on HBO in HD and it was no comparison. I'll be getting an HD-DVD soon as soon as the movies come down in price (players are cheap enough, discs are outrageously over-priced).
post #203 of 314 Old 10-22-2007, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastan View Post

I watched Surf's Up too last night on my Panasonic AX-100u off of the Sony DVP-NS77. While it looked good, earlier in the day we watched Happy Feet on HBO in HD and it was no comparison.

That's odd. Have you calibrated the set? HBO broadcasts in 1080i.

David
post #204 of 314 Old 10-22-2007, 08:54 AM

That's what I'm saying. I have my Sony NS77 setup with a descent pic at 720p (looks better than 1080i on the Panasonic), however the 1080i HD feed was clear as day better than the picture off of the DVD player.
post #205 of 314 Old 10-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastan View Post

I watched Surf's Up too last night on my Panasonic AX-100u off of the Sony DVP-NS77. While it looked good, earlier in the day we watched Happy Feet on HBO in HD and it was no comparison. I'll be getting an HD-DVD soon as soon as the movies come down in price (players are cheap enough, discs are outrageously over-priced).

One has to understand that a true HD signal will best an upconverted signal any day! While you are seeing the DVD upconverted to 720p/1080i/1080p, there are still only 480 lines of resolution to start with. Whereas the HD signal has 720 or 1080 lines of resolution to start with. If you're expecting HD-quality from an upconverting player, you will be disappointed and will need to turn to HD DVD or Blu-Ray to get what you're looking for.

All that said, I have had the Sony 77H for a month or so now and feel it is an excellent upconverting DVD player! It is definitely enough to tide me over until this whole dumb-a$$ format war gets settled (or at least a little clearer).
post #206 of 314 Old 10-24-2007, 04:50 PM

I picked up the sony ns77 and it was a nice step up from my old panni 480i player. I have the player set to 1080i since my plasma is 1080i. I could tell the difference after I had them both hooked up an played transformers in each I'll be keeping the ns77. BB has it for $89 an CC for $99, can get CC to price match an get the price match discount also.
post #207 of 314 Old 10-26-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
My DLP projector is 720p (IF SP7210). I believe upconverting to 720p is what I want... can this player do it? Or only up to 1080 directly?

Also, I understand upconversion to 720 or 1080 can only be done via HDMI, and not over component. Is this correct? Dang, new cables AGAIN!

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #208 of 314 Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

gnolivos -

The Sony can upconvert to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. Theoretically, 720p should look the best for you since you will be feeding your projector its native resolution. Also, can your projector accept 1080i or 1080p? If so, try those as well and let your eyes be the judge.

You are correct that upconversion is only available via HDMI. That said, it is only one cable and very good ones can be found really cheap at monoprice, an AVS sponsor - just use the link at the top of the page.
post #209 of 314 Old 10-26-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tony.

Yes, the IF7210 can accept signals up to 1080p, which are then converted down to 720.

My pj has no HDMI input, only DVI. but there is a matching HDMI<->DVI/M1 cable at monoprice 25ft long for about $35 shipped. Will just get that, as I need a long cable run to my ceiling!

post #210 of 314 Old 10-26-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraiseBear View Post

Just as 71H the same as 75H, now Costco is selling a 72HP, which is the same as 77H, but with the added HDMI cable.

I bought the NS72HP today from Costco. It says 1080p upconvert on the box, and looks the same as the 77h. I will be testing it to post impressions...

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page