Sony DVP-NS77H/S 1080p player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 314 Old 07-08-2007, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 71
This new DVP-NS77H/S player (silver) offers 1080P over the older DVP-NS75H model (720P/1080i) that is now on clearance at a lot of chain stores. Specifications and manual are at this esupport sony site.
There is also a DVPNS77H/B model (black) which should please people who prefer that color.

Current Availablity
Sony USA-SonyStyle online store - now has the DVP-NS77H/B and DVP-NS77H/S players listed and in stock.
Local Target stores have received their first batch of this DVD player (Target inventory DPCI # 008-06-1134).
The Sony DVP-NS77H is now listed at Circuit City but not in stock yet.
Now in stock at Amazon through a dealer.

Other stores the ETA was suppose to be 8/1/2007.

Oppo Beta Group
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 314 Old 07-09-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Guess if I had an HDTV that went to 1080p (mine's a 1080i-max CRT RPTV), I'd be bummed that my 75H was now "outdated".

Still, nice to see a 1080p Sony out there now. Looks to be pretty much the same unit, just 1080p capable.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #3 of 314 Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

This new DVP-NS77H/S player (silver) offers 1080P over the older DVP-NS75H model (720P/1080i) that is now on clearance at a lot of chain stores. Specifications and manual are at this esupport sony site. Looks like it is expected sometime during July 2007 per dealers, but most Sony products tend to show up in August at chain stores.
There is also a DVPNS77H/B model (black) which should please people who prefer that color.

Thanks for the heads-up. Very interesting. I just got the 71H about weeks ago. I wonder if I should return it and wait for the 77H. I paid $120 for the 71H at Costco, which included a HDMI cable. The new 77H could be pre-ordered for just $100 (no HDMI cable).

I like just about everything about the 71H, and I think I'd like the 77H even better for its 1080p, and possibly black model. The front panels are slightly different. The remotes are identical. The menus and features seems "almost" identical. The specs look almost identical, but the 77H does not publish its S/N ratio, Harmonic distortion, and Dynamic range; a few numbers that I am personally interested in.

Decisions, decisions...
post #4 of 314 Old 07-10-2007, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraiseBear View Post

Thanks for the heads-up. Very interesting. I just got the 71H about weeks ago. I wonder if I should return it and wait for the 77H. I paid $120 for the 71H at Costco, which included a HDMI cable. The new 77H could be pre-ordered for just $100 (no HDMI cable).

I like just about everything about the 71H, and I think I'd like the 77H even better for its 1080p, and possibly black model. The front panels are slightly different. The remotes are identical. The menus and features seems "almost" identical. The specs look almost identical, but the 77H does not publish its S/N ratio, Harmonic distortion, and Dynamic range; a few numbers that I am personally interested in.

Decisions, decisions...

Get a very cheap HDMI to HDMI 6' cable from a online or local dealer (<$20) . The big box stores like BB and CC rip you off big time on HDMI cables. Both silver and black onlline manuals have the spec's missing currently you mentioned.

Oppo Beta Group
post #5 of 314 Old 07-11-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update: Sony USA-SonyStyle online store - now has the DVP-NS77H/B and DVP-NS77H/S players listed.

Per Sony on both models: Pre-sale item available on or about 08/01/2007.

Price is $99.99!

If you compare the pictures of the DVP-NS75H to the DVP-NS77H/S you can see some design changes.

Marketing specifications says 192 KHz/24bit Audio DAC/96 kHz/24 bit Digital Output but these pages have 192 KHz/16 bit Audio DAC/96 kHz/24 bit Digital Output listed?

Oppo Beta Group
post #6 of 314 Old 07-11-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Free shipping this week from SonyStyle if you preorder (not shipped til 8/07 as mentioned)

Huey ;-]
post #7 of 314 Old 07-12-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

This new DVP-NS77H/S player (silver) offers 1080P over the older DVP-NS75H model (720P/1080i) that is now on clearance at a lot of chain stores. Specifications and manual are at this esupport sony site. Looks like it is expected sometime during July 2007 per dealers, but most Sony products tend to show up in August at chain stores.

is there an annoying zoom issue on this model and also i'm being told that if my TV set onyl accepts 720p and 1080i then buying a player with 1080p is pointless...

any truth to this?
post #8 of 314 Old 07-12-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pauly View Post

is there an annoying zoom issue on this model and also i'm being told that if my TV set onyl accepts 720p and 1080i then buying a player with 1080p is pointless...

any truth to this?

True. If your TV set does not support 1080p, having a DVD player that upscales SD DVD signal to 1080p is pointless. Even if your TV "accepts" 1080p, it will simply down scales it back to its native resolution. If I were you, and were interested in getting a good Sony player, I'll try to get one of those 75H or 71H players that the stores are trying to clear out. You just might get a great deal.

Since the new 1080p is not yet out and I don't have inside info on it, I would guess that the zoom icon will remain. But to be quite honest, I have never watch anything seriously with zoom. If you were like me, it should be that huge of an issue.
post #9 of 314 Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 AM

thanks for the reply....I thought that was the case

I picked up the sony "75" on Monday....great player

the zoom icon staying on kinda sucks but its really th only bad thing I can say about it..

I watched Shark Tale last night with my niece and I coulda swore I was watching a HD-DVD
post #10 of 314 Old 07-12-2007, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pauly View Post

any truth to this?

HDMI resolutions are Auto (upscales to highest resolution acceptable to your display), 1080p, 1080i, 720P, 480P.

Zoom function issues not known as this is a replacement of the popular DVP-NS75 player.

Oppo Beta Group
post #11 of 314 Old 07-14-2007, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Sony DVP-NS77H is now listed at Circuit City for $99.99. Coming soon, only the black model listed. This is still due per Sony around/about 8/01/2007.

Not listed at Best Buy yet.

Oppo Beta Group
post #12 of 314 Old 07-14-2007, 11:43 PM

$100 seems to be the street price for everybody. My wish is that Costco will carry it for $80 with a HDMI cable thrown in.
post #13 of 314 Old 07-14-2007, 11:49 PM

If your projector has a good scaler/deinterlacer, then the upconverting DVD player will be useless.

Last year I tested Infocus SP 5000 PJ with Sony DVP-NS70H player. With the player's 480p output, the PQ was great. But with 720p and 1080i outputs, a lot of block artifacts showed up on the screen and made the picture unnatural. So I said bye-bye to Sony.
post #14 of 314 Old 07-15-2007, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaxie88 View Post

If your projector has a good scaler/deinterlacer, then the upconverting DVD player will be useless.

It depends on the player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaxie88 View Post

Last year I tested Infocus SP 5000 PJ with Sony DVP-NS70H player. With the player's 480p output, the PQ was great. But with 720p and 1080i outputs, a lot of block artifacts showed up on the screen and made the picture unnatural. So I said bye-bye to Sony.

Yes some others mentioned seeing artifacts with dark reds with the DVP-NS70H. But that's a old model replaced with the DVP-NS75H which has performed reasonably well, now we are getting even newer model the DVP-NS77H which is the subject of this topic.

Oppo Beta Group
post #15 of 314 Old 07-15-2007, 07:06 AM

Interesting that there's no "87H" changer model (ala the 85H) listed yet.

Was the 85H released later than the 75H? Maybe they're dropping changers for this latest line...

Come, let us kill the spirit of gravity...
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
post #16 of 314 Old 07-15-2007, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerknowledge View Post

Interesting that there's no "87H" changer model (ala the 85H) listed yet.

Was the 85H released later than the 75H? Maybe they're dropping changers for this latest line...

Close. DVP-NC85H released March 2006, DVP-NS75H released April 2006. The low end progressive DVP-NS55P (January 2006) was recently replaced with the DVP-NS57P (March 2007).

Oppo Beta Group
post #17 of 314 Old 07-15-2007, 02:58 PM

My local Target store has the Sony DVP-NS77H Black in stock for $99. I saw them today!
post #18 of 314 Old 07-15-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crheinish View Post

My local Target store has the Sony DVP-NS77H Black in stock for $99. I saw them today!

Thank you, crheinish. Who would have thought? I didn't expect to see this unit until next month, but after reading your post, I decided to check out my local target store, and came home with one!
post #19 of 314 Old 07-15-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you, crheinish. Who would have thought? I didn't expect to see this unit until next month, but after reading your post, I decided to check out my local target store, and came home with one!

Found multiple local Target stores that had them in stock, so they have finally arrived!

Oppo Beta Group
post #20 of 314 Old 07-16-2007, 12:12 AM

In a nutshell: Very Happy

Purchased from local Target, $99.99 + Tax. Comes with remote, basic A/V cable. No HDMI cable supplied. Made in Malaysia. See link from previous posts of e-Manual for details.

Since I've only become an owner of this newly released player for a few hours, I can't possibly give a very detailed review. But I would like to make some observations, esp the differences against NS75H, or its twin NS71H, so other buyers could make a more informed decision.

Obvious Differences:
- 77H comes in Silver or Black (I got the black). 75H in silver only.
- 77H is about 1 inch shallower than 75H
- 77H supports 1080p, 75H maxed out at 1080i
- 77H has a new front panel with 2 less buttons (Prev/Next)

77H added Features:
- 1080p
- Bravia Theatre Sync, HMDI control link with select Sony TVs
- JPEG Resolution settings
- 4 BGM sound track to select with JPEG Slide show
- A remote control reset code "369" (see Manual p.57)

77H deleted features:
- BNR
- MNR
- Audio ATT
- Audio Filter

Basically, I care little about the feature changes, with the exception of the added 1080p support and the subtracted BNR. The rest of the review is very subjective.

I read that most people don't see a difference with BNR on/off, or don't care for it and leave it off. Personally, I see a huge difference and I like it. It makes the picture a little softer, by suppressing block video noise and hide very strong details. With it on, faces are smoother, picture is softer and less tiring to look at. Picture is still very detailed. Some people call the effect "blur". I don't think so. I still see lots of details, but no overly pronounced sharp details. So, I like it. It's a personal choice. And now, I miss it.

The 1080p resolution didn't do it for me. On my display, 1080p is more grainy with no obvious benefit over 1080i. In fact, I prefer watching it in 1080i format. That is a huge let down.

I noticed that the spec left out detail numbers regarding S/N ratio, Freq Response, and Harmonic Distortion. Most users don't care about these, but I do, in fact, a lot. After doing a bunch of head-to-head Audio comparisons, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 77H sounds even better than the 75H! The music fidelity, response, transition, and range all sounded better than before. That was a huge surprise.

Conclusion: It's a keeper! Although I miss the BNR and felt disappointed by 1080p, this 77H does not lose any significant features. While it doesn't gain many useful new features, its black chassis and its superior audio performance just won me over. The low price helps also. (My 71H cost me $120)

For me, there is enough benefit for me to send back the 2 week old 71H to the store and keep this 77H/B. I need to provide my own HDMI cable now, but it's not a big deal.

As a side note, I have also tested the Philips DVP5982/37 player. All I could say there is the Philips is loaded with features for 40% less in price. It's not a bad deal if you are not ultra-critical of picture/sound quality. It's cheap and it feels that way, too. I prefer the Sonys much better when it comes to those critical qualities, remote, connectivity, and menus.
post #21 of 314 Old 07-16-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:

In a nutshell: Very Happy

Purchased from local Target, $99.99 + Tax. Comes with remote, basic A/V cable. No HDMI cable supplied. Made in Malaysia. See link from previous posts of e-Manual for details.

Since I've only become an owner of this newly released player for a few hours, I can't possibly give a very detailed review. But I would like to make some observations, esp the differences against NS75H, or its twin NS71H, so other buyers could make a more informed decision.

Obvious Differences:
- 77H comes in Silver or Black (I got the black). 75H in silver only.
- 77H is about 1 inch shallower than 75H
- 77H supports 1080p, 75H maxed out at 1080i
- 77H has a new front panel with 2 less buttons (Prev/Next)

77H added Features:
- 1080p
- Bravia Theatre Sync, HMDI control link with select Sony TVs
- JPEG Resolution settings
- 4 BGM sound track to select with JPEG Slide show
- A remote control reset code "369" (see Manual p.57)

77H deleted features:
- BNR
- MNR
- Audio ATT
- Audio Filter

Basically, I care little about the feature changes, with the exception of the added 1080p support and the subtracted BNR. The rest of the review is very subjective.

I read that most people don't see a difference with BNR on/off, or don't care for it and leave it off. Personally, I see a huge difference and I like it. It makes the picture a little softer, by suppressing block video noise and hide very strong details. With it on, faces are smoother, picture is softer and less tiring to look at. Picture is still very detailed. Some people call the effect "blur". I don't think so. I still see lots of details, but no overly pronounced sharp details. So, I like it. It's a personal choice. And now, I miss it.

The 1080p resolution didn't do it for me. On my display, 1080p is more grainy with no obvious benefit over 1080i. In fact, I prefer watching it in 1080i format. That is a huge let down.

I noticed that the spec left out detail numbers regarding S/N ratio, Freq Response, and Harmonic Distortion. Most users don't care about these, but I do, in fact, a lot. After doing a bunch of head-to-head Audio comparisons, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 77H sounds even better than the 75H! The music fidelity, response, transition, and range all sounded better than before. That was a huge surprise.

Conclusion: It's a keeper! Although I miss the BNR and felt disappointed by 1080p, this 77H does not lose any significant features. While it doesn't gain many useful new features, its black chassis and its superior audio performance just won me over. The low price helps also. (My 71H cost me $120)

For me, there is enough benefit for me to send back the 2 week old 71H to the store and keep this 77H/B. I need to provide my own HDMI cable now, but it's not a big deal.

As a side note, I have also tested the Philips DVP5982/37 player. All I could say there is the Philips is loaded with features for 40% less in price. It's not a bad deal if you are not ultra-critical of picture/sound quality. It's cheap and it feels that way, too. I prefer the Sonys much better when it comes to those critical qualities, remote, connectivity, and menus.

Great report. Did you try the Zoom, if so does it still leave the icon on the screen permanently? Any differences with the remote? Any quicker load time?
post #22 of 314 Old 07-16-2007, 10:36 AM

The two remotes are identical. Since I have both the 77H and 71H hooked up at the same time and stack one on top of the other, with the same remote, I could wake them up at the same time. It seems that the wake up time, and load time are virtually identical also. Um, zoom icon stays, as I have expected. Zoom is definitely not a strong feature in this unit. It does 2x and 4x only.

Oh, I noticed two other minor things. First the Front Panel Display is a tiny bit smaller than the old unit. The numbers are smaller. Secondly, there is no light on the Progressive button, which is an improvement. On the older model, the Progressive button has an amber light which is always ON. I read somewhere that people are annoyed by it and cover it with electrical tape. So, I guess 77H fixed that.
post #23 of 314 Old 07-16-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:

The two remotes are identical. Since I have both the 77H and 71H hooked up at the same time and stack one on top of the other, with the same remote, I could wake them up at the same time. It seems that the wake up time, and load time are virtually identical also. Um, zoom icon stays, as I have expected. Zoom is definitely not a strong feature in this unit. It does 2x and 4x only.

Oh, I noticed two other minor things. First the Front Panel Display is a tiny bit smaller than the old unit. The numbers are smaller. Secondly, there is no light on the Progressive button, which is an improvement. On the older model, the Progressive button has an amber light which is always ON. I read somewhere that people are annoyed by it and cover it with electrical tape. So, I guess 77H fixed that.

Just thought of one more thing. Are you able to change the settings (ie.. 720p to 1080i) on the fly or do you have to stop the disc?
post #24 of 314 Old 07-16-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoserBeater View Post

Just thought of one more thing. Are you able to change the settings (ie.. 720p to 1080i) on the fly or do you have to stop the disc?

Stop the disc, like before. BTW "Auto" and "1080p" is the same choice. 1080p doesn't get its own choice, like 1080i, 720p, 480p. The menu selection looks somewhat like these: (check the pdf manual, page 57, and note the interesting "369" reset code right underneath it.)

1. Auto (1080p)
2. 1080i
3. 720p
4. 480p
post #25 of 314 Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I assume the PQ at 1080i showed virtually no difference between DVP-NS71H/S and the DVP-NS77H? Its just sony made available 1080P mode as a improvement, but as expected 1080i is better in most cases.

Oppo Beta Group
post #26 of 314 Old 07-16-2007, 11:17 AM

John, as far as I could tell, no difference.
post #27 of 314 Old 07-16-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 391
I wonder if the 77 still uses the MediaTek chipset.

post #28 of 314 Old 07-16-2007, 11:22 AM

How do I check that? By opening the case, or is there another way?
post #29 of 314 Old 07-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the review. I think, given these facts, my own opinion is to stick with 71. Costco just dropped the price to $99 anyway, so it's the same cost, plus an HDMI cable.

My main desire is good PQ and the grainy picture of the Philips 1080p upscaler (and the fact you said the picture was grainy on this new Sony at 1080p) makes me think my money is better spent on the 71. That grainy picture was my #1 complaint when I tried to switch away.

Anyway, thanks again.

Bob
post #30 of 314 Old 07-16-2007, 11:41 AM

Bob, That's a reasonable conclusion. I, too, was disappointed that the 1080p upscaler didn't do more for me. I've run the 71H from Costco for a solid couple of weeks. I think you would really enjoy it. Good luck & Enjoy.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page