Best DVD Player for Sony CRT's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-12-2007, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using a Sony XBR 970 34" CRT. I have been really shocked at how awful standard DVD's look in either 480p or 480i. Especially 4:3 movies. I have never owned at TV that DVD's looked so bad on.

Has anyone out there tried an upscaling DVD player on one of these sets? If so, did it make 4:3 movies look any better? Is there much difference among various brands?

I like watching a lot of old 4:3 movies and have found S-video to give a better picture than component, at least with this set. Which seems very odd to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-12-2007, 06:50 AM

What kind of "old" movies do you mean? Stuff from the 40's? 70's?

Component should look better than S-Video...

Sounds like you have an out of date DVD player.

Just go snag a name brand upconverting DVD player from a place that has easy return policy like Wal Mart etc and try out the new players.

Also make sure you are setting the DVD player up correctly when you get it...if it's a widescreen CRT then set the player to 16:9 etc etc...

I got a 5 disc RCA upconverting (1080P) player at WM for $79 and it's pic looks great.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-12-2007, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, I *assumed* that component would look better than S-video as well. But 480i is very blocky and everything has VERY jagged edges. 480p is slightly better, but the picture jumps around a lot and still has lots of "jaggy" edges. Anything 4:3 over component also displays a white vertical line at the right edge of the picture. The aspect ratio also seems slightly narrow and the picture looks almost square rather than rectangular.

I like watching a good 40's movie shot in 4:3 more than just about any other kind of film. But unless I can fix the horrible picture quality, I may just watch those movies on another set. I have seen stuff on VHS that looked as good or better than what I'm getting now. What gives?
post #4 of 16 Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by au revoir View Post

I am using a Sony XBR 970 34" CRT. I have been really shocked at how awful standard DVD's look in either 480p or 480i. Especially 4:3 movies. I have never owned at TV that DVD's looked so bad on.

Has anyone out there tried an upscaling DVD player on one of these sets? If so, did it make 4:3 movies look any better? Is there much difference among various brands?

I like watching a lot of old 4:3 movies and have found S-video to give a better picture than component, at least with this set. Which seems very odd to me.

For your small CRT TV you just need a decent progessive DVD player, not a upscaling player. Just go out and buy a cheap player From Sony, Pioneer or Phillips. Watching a old 4:3 movie doesn't require much and besides usually the old video's lack the sharpness that works well with upscaling.

Oppo Beta Group
post #5 of 16 Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 AM

ALso if you are buying thos el cheapo no name $2 DVD of old movies I see everywhere, then odds are your image quality will suffer no matter what player you use.

How well do new movies look via Component etc? Clear?

Try a new player and if you still have issues your TV may be on the fritz...OR the cable(s) is bad.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-12-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

John: This is a 34" CRT. Is that considered small these days? I have tried 2 different DVD players so far, one progressive scan and the other standard.

Gordon: I tried component cables w/480i and 480p, and they both looked pretty awful in 4:3. Very jagged edges on everything. 16:9 is slightly better, but still not what I had hoped for.

Many regular 4:3 TV channels look bad also, so maybe this TV just does not handle 4:3 material very well. However, 4:3 material on stations that broadcast in HD looks pretty good.

HD programs in 720p and 1080i look stunning, so I think the TV is probably OK.

I guess I will try a 1080i player at some point. Hopefully they come with an HDMI cable these days. Also better cables might be worth looking into.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:

John: This is a 34" CRT. Is that considered small these days? I have tried 2 different DVD players so far, one progressive scan and the other standard.

Gordon: I tried component cables w/480i and 480p, and they both looked pretty awful in 4:3. Very jagged edges on everything. 16:9 is slightly better, but still not what I had hoped for.

Many regular 4:3 TV channels look bad also, so maybe this TV just does not handle 4:3 material very well. However, 4:3 material on stations that broadcast in HD looks pretty good.

I guess I will try a 1080i player at some point. Hopefully they come with an HDMI cable these days. Also better cables might be worth looking into.

Nope...you need to buy one seperately...I know RCA had an upconvert player 6+ months ago that had a cable with it, but they have since stopped offering that.

I found a 12' RCA branded HDMI cable at a closeout store (Big Lots) for $12...works great.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-12-2007, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Forget the small comment, that was just a joke. ;-) Seriously your set should display 480P images fine, but in comparison to a 720P/1080I broadcast it won't look as sharp. It sounds like the scaler inside the set has some issues. Have you tried a Sony DVP-NS75H/S hooked up to your Sony CRT? This does progressive, and HDMI to 720P/1080i resolution which should match your set. It doesn't come with a HDMI cable, but a local component dealer you can buy a 6' HDMI to HDMI cable for $15. Stay away from RS, BB, CC for purchasing a HDMI cable as they try to shaft buyers with $50 to $125 cables. I am curious what two DVD players have you so far tried?

Oppo Beta Group
post #9 of 16 Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Forget the small comment, that was just a joke. ;-) Seriously your set should display 480P images fine, but in comparison to a 720P/1080I broadcast it won't look as sharp. It sounds like the scaler inside the set has some issues. Have you tried a Sony DVP-NS75H/S hooked up to your Sony CRT? This does progressive, and HDMI to 720P/1080i resolution which should match your set. It doesn't come with a HDMI cable, but a local component dealer you can buy a 6' HDMI to HDMI cable for $15. Stay away from RS, BB, CC for purchasing a HDMI cable as they try to shaft buyers with $50 to $125 cables. I am curious what two DVD players have you so far tried?

The Sony mentioned is a solid player, but there is a Costco-exclusive version of the 75H (called the 71H) that does come packaged with an HDMI cable (6' I believe). Some minor cosmetic diffs btwn the 2, but internally they are identical.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #10 of 16 Old 07-12-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

The 2 DVD players are a Sanyo (480i) and a Phillips (480p). Both are less than 2 years old, but I'm too lazy to look up the model numbers, but they were both maybe $60 each, so nothing fancy.

Any SM tweaks for fixing the scaler? I thought maybe I'd get rid of all the sharpening and edge enhancements to see what that does. So you know for fact this set does well with 480p on 4:3 movies?

JWebb: I'm in Hanford, I think I remember your name form the local HD reception forum. Thanks for the un-badged Sony recommendation, though I'm not a Costco member. I'm pretty broke after buying my XBR970 (one of the last from 4 Fresno CC). Maybe between now and next month I can figure out a way to get into Costco w/o a membership
post #11 of 16 Old 07-12-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 2 DVD players are a Sanyo (480i) and a Phillips (480p). Both are less than 2 years old, but I'm too lazy to look up the model numbers, but they were both maybe $60 each, so nothing fancy.

Any SM tweaks for fixing the scaler? I thought maybe I'd get rid of all the sharpening and edge enhancements to see what that does. So you know for fact this set does well with 480p on 4:3 movies?

JWebb: I'm in Hanford, I think I remember your name form the local HD reception forum. Thanks for the un-badged Sony recommendation, though I'm not a Costco member. I'm pretty broke after buying my XBR970 (one of the last from 4 Fresno CC). Maybe between now and next month I can figure out a way to get into Costco w/o a membership

The display resolution spec says 480i, 480p, 1080i with 1080i being native resolution. It looks like this Sony CRT display has got what it takes to scale a 480i DVD to 1080i on your display. I think you should find a store that offers 30 day money back and try one of popular upconversion players to see if it solves your problem.

Check out this Sony KD-34XBR970 topic for additional help.

Oppo Beta Group
post #12 of 16 Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 AM

au revoir,

I just bought this tv myself about a week ago at the CC up here in Washington. I have to say that every dvd I've tried out looks incredible (for a dvd that is).

The PQ obviously isn't as good as HD channels from Comcast, but it still looks damn good.

One question, however. When you're watching you're movies are you using a picture setting (vivid, standard, pro, movie) that is set to progressive? Have you tried the cinemotion setting?

My 2 cents - Jeff
post #13 of 16 Old 07-13-2007, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Jeff: I was hoping to hear from someone else who is actually using this set. I think I have tried pretty much every combination of settings, but I will try the ones you mentioned, thanks!. I'm using the Pro setting with either progressive or interlaced ATM, IIRC.

So are you using a regular 480p player then? Or do you have a 1080i DVD upconverter? The 1080i is probably my only hope at this point., so I will definitely be trying one ASAP.

I guess it's possible I'm sitting too close to the TV (4-5') but those but some 4:3 DVD's (it's always the 4:3 ones) look like 1st generation video games that used to run in 320 x 280 resolution with jagged lines everywhere. I need some sort of "anti-aliasing" I think.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-13-2007, 05:31 AM

Are you buying those 5 for $2 DVD movies made by some generic dvd maker or are thesse well made studio movies?
post #15 of 16 Old 07-13-2007, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Netflix rentals. Maybe I should rent one of the restored versions of say, Double Indemnity, one where you can be sure they did a good job on the transfer, and see how that looks in 4:3.

Also, don't TV's have some sort of 2:3 pulldown for displaying movies, or is that just for widesceen DVD's? Maybe that's messed up somehow.

Or maybe I'm just too picky, which has been known to happen.
post #16 of 16 Old 07-13-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Netflix rentals. Maybe I should rent one of the restored versions of say, Double Indemnity, one where you can be sure they did a good job on the transfer, and see how that looks in 4:3.

Also, don't TV's have some sort of 2:3 pulldown for displaying movies, or is that just for widesceen DVD's? Maybe that's messed up somehow.

Or maybe I'm just too picky, which has been known to happen.

HDTVs have the 3:2 (or 2:3) pulldown (my Hitachi calls it Auto Movie Mode) that reconcile the diffs in framerate btwn film and video to give a flicker-free image from movies. Your set surely has it, as do p scan DVD players.

Don't know if this helps, but if your set is rescaling signals internally up to 1080i - try running a regular DVD player via component with it's resolution set @ 480i. If your set is internally rescaling to "HD" resolution, the 480i DVD signal gives that scaler an easier time with upconversion. A Hitachi tech told me this in regards to my set (51F59A CRT RPTV). The F59's scaler, dubbed "Virtual HD", is very good. I got the best PQ results on it by running DVD via component (this was before I bought my Sony) @ 480i, letting the F59 VHD jump that up to 1080i.

The PQ btwn that way and my current way (Sony NS75H @ 1080i via HDMI) are essentially identical. If I had bought the 75H strictly for it's upconversion abilities, I would have returned it after making the comparison. Since I bought it because it fit better in my AV rack than my old Panny behemoth (and it is a nice player for the $$), it remains.

And you must know somebody who is a Costco member.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page