Pioneer DV48AV - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 300 Old 06-18-2009, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After a hack report I read at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/onkyo-dv-sp404e/7658, I have discovered that the Onkyo DV-SP404 is a Pioneer DV-490V in pure flesh and blood. If you clicked on the first URL, you will notice that the first three letters of the Onkyo firmware are YEB. The first three letters of the Pioneer firmware are YDB. Yet the Onkyo and Pioneer firmwares are interchangeable! This leads me to believe that North American Pioneer Elite universal players as of 2006 might actually have international counterparts. For example, DV-46AV = DV-696AV, DV-48AV = DV-600AV, and DV-49AV = DV-610AV. Therefore, even though your DV-48AV's firmware begins with YGE, the DV-600AV firmware that begins with YGC might be compatible with the DV-48AV! The odds are 50% you could harm your player, and 50% everything will go very well. Because I just told you the odds, it is not my fault if you wind up with a damaged player should you decide to try this experament. If anything ever did go wrong, it would probibly be less expensive just to replace it with a DV-49AV, as opposed to paying for out-of-warranty parts and labor repairs. Here are the instructions for making the DV-48AV multi-region in case you are interested.

1. Check your DV-48AV's firmware.

A. Turn on the player. Wait for the 'Loading' message to disappear from the TV screen.

B. Press 'HOME MENU' on the remote control.

C. Using the arrow keys, highlight 'Initial settings.'

D. Press 'ENTER.'

E. Using the arrow keys, highlight 'Options,' but do not press 'ENTER.'

F. Press 'DISPLAY.' You will see your current region and firmware version.

G. Press 'HOME MENU' to exit.

2. Download http://www.pioneerfaq.info/click/click.php?id=424 for multi-region, and if you are a Pioneer purist, http://www.pioneerfaq.info/click/click.php?id=416 for the most up-to-date Pioneer factory firmware. (There is no YGE8827A firmware at that site because the person who runs it works with European players, but he/she told me that unmodified factory firmware is not country specific and does not change the region and TV system).

3. Unzip the files.

4. Change the file names from 'YGC8827A.BIN' to 'YGE8827A.BIN.'

5. On separate discs, burn the multi-region version and the original Pioneer version with each disc having 'PIONEER' as its volume label, without the quotes. Because these firmware files are both called 'YGE8827A.BIN,' you should mark the label side of each disc right after you burn each disc so you know what firmware you will be installing.

6. Insert the disc with the modified firmware into the DV-48AV.

7. Press play on the front pannel when you see the onscreen prompt that tells you to do so.

A. As soon as the tray opens, IMMEDIATELY remove the disc. Don't touch the player until the tray closes and you see the factory default startup screen. If the auto-upgrade portion only took a minute or two, procede with step 8. If ten minutes elapse and the TV screen is black while the front pannel says 'Loading,' do not press any buttons on the front pannel or remote. Procede with step 7B.

B. Push the tray in by hand. Disrupt power to the DV-48AV (unplug the power cord from the wall or the back of the player, turn off the power strip, etc.).

C. Wait a few seconds and reconnect or reactivate power.

D. Turn on the player with the power button and procede with step 8.

8. Select your language.

9. Select CANCEL.

10. Hold the ENTER key to the right of the 0 until the player turns off. Now it is multi-region even if it still says Region 1 if you were to check the firmware. Also, now that you made the EEPROM multi-region, the player will remain multi-region no matter what firmware you install unless you hold the CLEAR key to the left of the 0, using the modified firmware.

11. Turn the player back on.

12. If you like the extra features, then go into the setup menus and reconfigure your preferences and you are good to go. If you wish to return to strictly Pioneer firmware, procede with step 13.

13. Insert the disc with the original Pioneer firmware.

14. Press play when you see the onscreen prompt that tells you to do so.

15. As soon as the tray opens, IMMEDIATELY remove the disc. Don't touch the player until the tray closes and you see the factory default startup screen.

16. As soon as the tray closes and you see the factory default startup screen, make all your prefered settings and you are good to go. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 300 Old 06-19-2009, 02:10 PM

It can be found at http://www.pioneerfaq.info/click/click.php?id=424. )Remember: you must change the file name from YGC8827A.BIN to YGE8827A.BIN in order for the DV-48AV to recognize it.) One thing to consider is the amount of money and time Hkan puts into webspace, players, and parts in order to develope new firmware as Pioneer releases them. If it means a lot for you that he continues his work, you can send him a PayPal donation to support@pioneerfaq.info.
post #273 of 300 Old 06-19-2009, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 249
"...send him a PayPal donation"

Amen!

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

post #274 of 300 Old 06-20-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom View Post

It can be found at http://www.pioneerfaq.info/click/click.php?id=424. )Remember: you must change the file name from YGC8827A.BIN to YGE8827A.BIN in order for the DV-48AV to recognize it.) One thing to consider is the amount of money and time Hkan puts into webspace, players, and parts in order to develope new firmware as Pioneer releases them. If it means a lot for you that he continues his work, you can send him a PayPal donation to support@pioneerfaq.info.

I dont recommend updating your DV48 with this firmware. So far I lost the ability to change resolutions on the fly, set the front dimmer and enable subtitles.
post #275 of 300 Old 06-21-2009, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

I dont recommend updating your DV48 with this firmware. So far I lost the ability to change resolutions on the fly, set the front dimmer and enable subtitles.

This is what happens when you use a firmware that is not intended for your player!
I never ever have or will recommend the use of firmwares in players that it was not intended for.
If you want to try some firmware out, you should first back up the original firmware from your player!

At my pages I have no firmwares or web pages what so ever for a DV48AV.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that there is no way I can help you!
This is simply becouse I do not have the firmware that your player needs!

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
Has "everything" for your Pioneer!
!!We need your support!!
post #276 of 300 Old 07-06-2009, 12:23 PM

But at least the player is still alive and works well for the most part. I believe the IR codes for the DV-46AV are the same, and if Hkan writes those extra codes in his enhanced DV-600AV firmware, you should have those functions back.
post #277 of 300 Old 07-06-2009, 05:51 PM

Are you sure you lost your SUBTITLE button? Maybe you just so happened to be playing a DVD that didn't allow you to change subtitles while the movie was playing. When DV-610AV firmware was installed on a DV-49AV, no one lost their SUBTITLE button.
post #278 of 300 Old 07-07-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom View Post

Are you sure you lost your SUBTITLE button? Maybe you just so happened to be playing a DVD that didn't allow you to change subtitles while the movie was playing. When DV-610AV firmware was installed on a DV-49AV, no one lost their SUBTITLE button.

I'm positive. Subtitles, dimmer and resolution buttons no longer respond from the remote. Honestly this is not a big deal for me since my DV-48 is used purely as an SACD player anyway and that function continues to work. I understood the risk involved before attempting the update.

The good news is I'm able to toggle the subtitles from the movie menus, and change resolutions through the GUI anyway.
post #279 of 300 Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

I'm positive. Subtitles, dimmer and resolution buttons no longer respond from the remote. Honestly this is not a big deal for me since my DV-48 is used purely as an SACD player anyway and that function continues to work. I understood the risk involved before attempting the update.

The good news is I'm able to toggle the subtitles from the movie menus, and change resolutions through the GUI anyway.

The DV-600AV and DV-48AV are from Pioneer's 2007 DVD player lineup. After all this research, it looks like the non-Elite 2007, non-Elite 2008, and Elite 2008 Pioneer DVD players use the same IR code for the subtitle button. Go to http://www.pioneerdirect.com, do a search for DV-49AV, and buy a remote for the newer model. If you want even more good news, Hkan successfully installed DV-610AV firmware on a DV-600AV. This means that if you download http://www.pioneerfaq.info/click/click.php?id=419, unzip it, and change YJC8919A.BIN to YGC8919A.BIN, you'll also get firmware with the original dimmer button, as well as give your 2007 player the features of the 2008 model!
post #280 of 300 Old 08-06-2009, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I don't seem to have the ability to change the aspect ratio on my player however when I switch between using the component video out and HDMI during a movie it switches the aspect by itself. It only goes back to the correct aspect after I stop the movie completely. Can anyone help me?
post #281 of 300 Old 08-17-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkan View Post

This is what happens when you use a firmware that is not intended for your player!
I never ever have or will recommend the use of firmwares in players that it was not intended for.
If you want to try some firmware out, you should first back up the original firmware from your player!

At my pages I have no firmwares or web pages what so ever for a DV48AV.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that there is no way I can help you!
This is simply because I do not have the firmware that your player needs!

Not sure if anyone cares.......but I purchased the DV 48AV firmware (YGE7C12A.BIN) today to restore my remote control functions etc.

I am curious to see if you already have this....and if not.......are you interested in modifying it to make it region free.....and anything else?

Let me know.....I can email it or upload to a newsgroup...etc.
post #282 of 300 Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtred View Post

Not sure if anyone cares.......but I purchased the DV 48AV firmware (YGE7C12A.BIN) today to restore my remote control functions etc.

I am curious to see if you already have this....and if not.......are you interested in modifying it to make it region free.....and anything else?

The DV-600AV has a factory release of YGC8827A.BIN. See if you can somehow get YGE8827A.BIN. Also, the best thing to do would be to send Hakan an attachment to support@pioneerfaq.info and explain the situation. Where did you get this firmware? If you can't say here, PM me.
post #283 of 300 Old 08-17-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:

Send it to support@pioneerfaq.info

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #284 of 300 Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:

Send it to support@pioneerfaq.info

I just emailed it to you. I hope you find it useful.

My DV48AV is still region free after going back to the original firmware.
Thanks to your modded firmware.
post #285 of 300 Old 08-18-2009, 07:37 AM

What function did you loose when using the DV-600AV firmware?

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #286 of 300 Old 08-18-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:

I believe you lose the SUBTITLE button and the HDMI COLOR, HDMI RESOLUTION, and the FL DIMMER functions.
post #287 of 300 Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM

I'll do this later!
Right now I'm working on the firmware for Yamaha DRX-E730
I will alos loose my internet connection tomorrow!
This will not interfer with the PioneerFAQ web pages!

I dont know when I'll be back!

PioneerFAQ

@Twitter
!!We need your support!!
post #288 of 300 Old 08-18-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:

The only function that I lost was the HDMI remote selection. Thats all I checked. The subtitle and FL dimmer worked fine.

So.....I am guessing that everyone who used the d600 firmware did not always lose functions?
post #289 of 300 Old 08-19-2009, 05:12 AM

For those of you who lost buttons on their remote as a result of installing DV-600AV firmware, Hakan just posted the original factory firmware for the DV-48AV at http://www.pioneerfaq.info/click/click.php?id=446. Remember: If you have DV-600AV firmware on your player right now, you'll need to change YGE7C12A.BIN to YGC7C12A.BIN because your player thinks it's a DV-600AV. However, after you install the firmware in the above link, your player will once again think it's a DV-48AV.
post #290 of 300 Old 08-19-2009, 06:33 AM

Maybe that explains why mine got stuck loading.........and I had to break power to finish the update.

But I did not change the file name even though I was using the D600 firmware on my DV48.

Like I said.........its working great now
post #291 of 300 Old 08-19-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Maybe that explains why mine got stuck loading.........and I had to break power to finish the update.

But I did not change the file name even though I was using the D600 firmware on my DV48.

Like I said.........its working great now

I have a DV-58AV that uses the same firmware from country to country. I almost got either a DV-48AV or DV-49AV because for a while, it appeared as though Hakan wasn't going to be able to release enhanced firmware for my player, but I'm glad he did so I didn't have to by another one! Yet, until he did, I was relying on experience from you guys so I'd know how to install Hakan's enhanced firmware on the less expensive US models. To this day, I still find it interesting that ever since 2006, some of Pioneer's Elite players are really the same players as the budget models except for double-layer chassis and different firmwares and bigger remotes with a few extra functions. The DV-46AV was originally supposed to be sold in the US as the DV-696AV with an MSRP of $150, yet when it was released in the US, it wound up double the MSRP! The same thing with the DV-48AV, except there were no plans to sell it as the DV-600AV in the US. At least the DV-49AV has an MSRP of $200. Also, it's nice that the DV-58AV is the same as the DV-800AV and DV-LX50.
post #292 of 300 Old 08-20-2009, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by J450N View Post

I don't seem to have the ability to change the aspect ratio on my player however when I switch between using the component video out and HDMI during a movie it switches the aspect by itself. It only goes back to the correct aspect after I stop the movie completely. Can anyone help me?

anyone? also my discrete power on command stopped working for no aparent reason. Help!
post #293 of 300 Old 08-22-2009, 08:15 PM

Can it be done??

For example I downloaded a movie with is H.264/MPEG-4 AVC.....BUT MY DV48 only plays the sound.

My other DVD Player (Philips) says CODEC not supported.

Can this be fixed by a firmware upgrade? Or is CODECs beyond the realm of firmware upgrades?
post #294 of 300 Old 02-22-2010, 07:20 AM

Greetings fellow DV-48AV fans. I'm still loving my universal DVD and Hi-Rez audio machine. My newest old 5.1 SA-CD is Bryan Ferry's Boys And Girls. Great stuff.

I've had the DV-48AV for a while now and the wife recently bought me an entry level PN58B560 Samsumg plasma. Over the past month I have played with the various screen settings using a combination of THX test patterns from some Disney DVDs and the settings from the Samsung owners threads.

The thing that surprises me is that standard DVDs seem to look best at 480i over HDMI. Has any one elese had this experience?

Cheers,

Michael from the Cheryl and Mike Show
post #295 of 300 Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I own a 2008-model DV-49AV. When I first got it, I was having video troubles and was willing to give up the FL DIMMER, HDMI COLOR, and HDMI RESOLUTION buttons so I could install YJC8919A StM V2.1A found at pioneerfaq.info. Once I got my video issues solved, I wanted my remote buttons back. At this time, DV-49AV firmware is nowhere to be found. So I installed the DV-48AV firmware on it and am quite happy. Besides the location of the USB port, the only differences I'm aware of between the 48 and 49 are (1) the 48 doesn't have the CD-to-USB Recording feature, which I don't have a need for, and (2) the gamma control on the 48 can be set to High (darkest), Medium, Low, and Off (normal). Now that I know to either use a video signal amplifier or a more sensative video input on my TV, that doesn't matter to me anymore because I now leave my video settings in the 0/standard/nutral/normal/etc. position anyway. Although it would be nice to have the pioneerfaq features such as DVD Fast Start, multi-system, and multi-region. Being that Hakan at pioneerfaq has the DV-600AV, he should be able to enhance YGE7C12A since the 600 and 48 firmwares are interchangeable.
post #296 of 300 Old 08-28-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Some say that the DV-48AV is better hardware than the DV-49AV. However, the DV-49AV's firmware is better, especially if you are having trouble seeing darker scenes via HDMI. To perform this upgrade:

1. Download the original and/or the multi-regional DV-49AV firmware(s) from Hkan's PioneerFAQ firmware page.

2. Unzip the file or files.

3. Rename YJF8901A to YGE8901A so the DV-48AV will recognize it.

A. If you only downloaded one version of the firmware, burn it to CDRW, with PIONEER as its volume label.

B. If you downloaded the original and multi-regional versions of the firmware, burn each firmware file onto separate CDRWs, each with PIONEER as its volume label. It might be a good idea to write on each CDRW immediately after you burn each version so you know which version of the firmware you will be installing.)...

5. Turn on the DV-48AV and insert the CDRW with either the original version or the multi-regional version of the new firmware.

6. as soon as you see the upgrade screen, press play.

7. When the tray pops out, take out the CDRW.

A. If the screen turns dark and the player gets stuck, wait for ten minutes and see step 8B. Otherwise, procede to step 9.

B. Push the tray in by hand.

C. Unplug the player from the electrical outlet for five seconds.

D. Plug the player back in.

E. Turn the player on and procede to step 9.

A. Press HOME MENU to make all your prefered settings.

B. If viewing video via HDMI, in the Video Adjust menu, set the Gamma to -3 for improved HDMI performance.

A. If you installed the original firmware, you're done. If you installed the multi-regional firmware, procede to step 10B.

B. Hold the ENTER button on your remote until the player turns off. This changes a setting in the EEPROM which makes the player multi-regional no matter what firmware you have installed. To restore the factory regional setting, with the multi-regional firmware installed, hold the CLEAR button on the remote until the player turns off.

As you know, I have a DV-49AV. I have installed DV-600AV (YGC8827A), DV-48AV (YGE7C12A), DV-610AV (YJC8919A), and DV-49AV (YJF8901A) on my player. The only problem I ran into was when going from DV-48AV firmware to either DV-610AV or DV-49AV firmware, my player would get stuck and I'd have to follow the directions in step 8B. If you use the 5.1-channel analog audio output, you'd be better off installing DV-49AV firmware on this player than getting a DV-49AV. Of course, I have it connected to my 19" HDTV via HDMI in my bedroom. So 5.1-channel analog isn't that important for my bedroom anyway.
post #297 of 300 Old 01-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Hi All,

Can anybody confirm that DV-48AV with modified firmware or with DV-49AV firmware will play PAL region 2 DVDs on an "NTSC-only" TV either through component or through HDMI? I have some family videos on DVD and I don't want to convert them every time I get a new one.

Thanks!
post #298 of 300 Old 01-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
As for me I'd love to know if a DV-49AV or DV-48AV with modified firmware solves the problem I see with the David Bowie "Heathen" sacd and my DV-48AV as per post 270 in this thread.

But I know it's a long shot finding someone in this thread with this disc....
post #299 of 300 Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbi
Hi All,

Can anybody confirm that DV-48AV with modified firmware or with DV-49AV firmware will play PAL region 2 DVDs on an "NTSC-only" TV either through component or through HDMI? I have some family videos on DVD and I don't want to convert them every time I get a new one.

Thanks!
I found a DV-AV48 and I can confirm that it plays PAL DVDs on "NTSC-only" TV right out if the box.

I successfully installed Hkan's firmware for DV-610AV (thanks to Hkan for the firmware and to BIG C and ValjeanPhantom for the instructions!) and now it can also play DVDs from all regions plus all the extras in the Hkan's firmware. There were no issues with the upgrade except that the player was stuck after the update so I waited 10 min. and rebooted it as per the instructions. Two things should be noted: After the update the TV output defaults to "Auto" and when reset the output resolution will be reset to 576i, not to 480i as on DV-48/49AV.

My "Subtitle" button works, but the "Dimmer" and the HDMI resolution buttons don't. If I find the codes, I will program them on my Harmony remote for the sake of completeness, but they are not an issue at all.
post #300 of 300 Old 04-09-2017, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I just sold my backup Marantz UD9004 to recoup some of the exorbitant costs of updrading to HDCP 2.2 and wanted a fast HDMI 1.2a transport for my MCH SACD (bitstreaming)and DVD-As (MLP to PCM) to make use of the latest AKM DACs in the AV8802A along with the beefed up analog stage. Did a lot of research on Steve Hoffman and here, and snagged two DV-48AVs on ebay to have for a while, although at those prices the hoarding instinct is also to blame.

I will be using the UD9004 for those special recordings, especially the Universal Japan two channels, where it feeds straight into the Classe CP700, but I am looking forward to fast loading times and care free casual listening on the Pioneer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylandmike View Post
Greetings fellow DV-48AV fans. I'm still loving my universal DVD and Hi-Rez audio machine. My newest old 5.1 SA-CD is Bryan Ferry's Boys And Girls. Great stuff.

I've had the DV-48AV for a while now and the wife recently bought me an entry level PN58B560 Samsumg plasma. Over the past month I have played with the various screen settings using a combination of THX test patterns from some Disney DVDs and the settings from the Samsung owners threads.

The thing that surprises me is that standard DVDs seem to look best at 480i over HDMI. Has any one elese had this experience?

Cheers,
The reason is DVDs were often encoded at 576i, the video boards feeding the component cables limited it to 480i. Hence the "SDI(serial digital interface) mod" threads on the old players before the HDMI days. Oh well, it is all history now.

Last edited by bobpaule; 04-09-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page