Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 300 Old 07-25-2008, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabjoe View Post

Can you give me the model number of your remote? All the ones I see listed on Amazon say that the upgradeable ones are just learning remotes. I can't find anything that uses a modem cable.

Thanks!

It's the One for All URC 8910. It's a JP1 modem upgradable remote. It can either be upgraded via either special JP1 software and cables, or via playing WAVs via its built-in microphone, located in the center of that slope above its battery cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 300 Old 07-25-2008, 01:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom View Post

It's the One for All URC 8910. It's a JP1 modem upgradable remote. It can either be upgraded via either special JP1 software and cables, or via playing WAVs via its built-in microphone, located in the center of that slope above its battery cover.

Thanks!! Now I just have to fine one... This specific remote seems to be sold out everywhere.
post #33 of 300 Old 07-25-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabjoe View Post

Thanks!! Now I just have to fine one... This specific remote seems to be sold out everywhere.

If worse comes to worst and you can't find it, there is always the URC 10820 JP1.2 remote. That however would involve purchasing a JP1.2 cable and downloading software. There is a thread in one of the forums there about the Pioneer region hack, with a JP1.2 version of that file there.

post #34 of 300 Old 07-26-2008, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm really sweating getting yet another universal player, because I already have one with SACD and analogue out. But with my new receiver, Marantz SR7002, I want to experience the all digital pure DSD, I know this Pioneer and the Oppo 980H can both do this, but which is better as a transport? Video is not important. I'm looking for a quiet drive and low jitter. Any suggestions?
post #35 of 300 Old 07-27-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benananda View Post

I'm really sweating getting yet another universal player, because I already have one with SACD and analogue out. But with my new receiver, Marantz SR7002, I want to experience the all digital pure DSD, I know this Pioneer and the Oppo 980H can both do this, but which is better as a transport? Video is not important. I'm looking for a quiet drive and low jitter. Any suggestions?

I have read that the Oppos are physically built like those $40 supermarket type players. Yet I've heard that even Pioneer's budget players have a good reputation for their high build quality. I know analog output performance isn't important in your case, but I think even Pioneer's budget universal players that convert DSD to PCM via analog out will be better performers regarding analog output, in comparison to the analog specs on the Oppo DV-980H. But you aren't interested in the player's 5.1-channel analog pre-outs. Even taking that into consideration, if you own a high-end Marantz receiver, I don't think you'd want something on your A/V stand that resembles $40 supermarket hardware. So I'd go with the Pioneer DV-48AV. If you change your mind and are interested in video, there's a special IR code out there that will make it region-free.
post #36 of 300 Old 07-27-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 569
FWIW, I have a modified 980H sitting on the shelf under my Meridian Ref 861 processor and I think it looks just fine. I do not think that the DV-48 looks much better but it is selling for even less than the Oppo these days. If you want something that looks and feels better than the Oppos, you need to go to the DV-58.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #37 of 300 Old 07-28-2008, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Kal-

I was leaning pretty strong for the Oppo at one point, but like you said, the DV-48 can be had cheaper these days, so I grabbed one. I am linking it with a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH. I am just sending DSD to the receiver over HDMI in my application. How much of a difference is there between the DV-48 and the DV-58 if you are just sending DSD over HDMI?

Granted, it's a moot point, as I am not going to be able to step up to the DV-58 . . . . but I was curious how much I was missing if I was going DSD over HDMI as opposed to analog outs.
post #38 of 300 Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by piketech View Post

Kal-

I was leaning pretty strong for the Oppo at one point, but like you said, the DV-48 can be had cheaper these days, so I grabbed one. I am linking it with a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH. I am just sending DSD to the receiver over HDMI in my application. How much of a difference is there between the DV-48 and the DV-58 if you are just sending DSD over HDMI?

I have no idea as I have never used a DV-48.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #39 of 300 Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Am I over simplifying thinking DSD over HDMI should be pretty similar across the board, letting the receiver to the work on what it receives? I always thought if you were sending out over the analog outs, then processing in the player itself made a big difference. But raw signal over HDMI to receiver was less of a difference?

Or not . . . . maybe I'm just grabbing at straws. SACD sounds pretty nice in my set up to me right now, I should just leave well enough alone instead of wondering the differences in equipment.
post #40 of 300 Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Am I over simplifying thinking DSD over HDMI should be pretty similar across the board, letting the receiver to the work on what it receives? I always thought if you were sending out over the analog outs, then processing in the player itself made a big difference. But raw signal over HDMI to receiver was less of a difference?

Shouldn't be any difference at all.
post #41 of 300 Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I'm trying to decide between this Pioneer Elite and the Oppo 980. Seems to me that the Oppo has a lot more features for not a lot more $$$. Can someone tell me what I am missing?

Part of my ever-growing SACD collection
post #42 of 300 Old 07-29-2008, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post

I'm trying to decide between this Pioneer Elite and the Oppo 980. Seems to me that the Oppo has a lot more features for not a lot more $$$. Can someone tell me what I am missing?

The only Oppo I have tried is the 983, and the only features I see missing on the 48 are region free ablility, which I have no use for, and the ability to play avi files with a USB drive. The 983 would play all my avi files in the wrong aspect ratio, so I don't really miss that either, I just burn them to DVD-RW and watch them.

The 48 also has features that were missing on the 983, which is the ability to send DSD over HDMI, and to output 480i over HDMI, which is handy if you have an external vp. I think the 980 can do both of these though.

I guess it depends how important the missing features are to you.
post #43 of 300 Old 08-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Hello,

I have a Oppo 981HD that I bought from the woot deal. When I want to watch a SD DVD it has the Macoblocking (spelling) issue on my Epson Pro 1080 UB. It bothers me and the Oppo will need to go. My question is does the 48 have the macro blocking issue like the Oppo?

Thanks,
rmlowz
post #44 of 300 Old 08-13-2008, 07:46 AM

Can you confirm this will work on Pioneer DV-48AV before i start buying remotes and trying to figure out how ? :-)
post #45 of 300 Old 08-13-2008, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
In the online manual for the 48AV and 58AV, it says the DVD-A portion of a dualdisc will not play, can anyone confirm this? I have a 45A that plays DVD-A hi-res stereo/multi-channel fine on a dualdisc (my Talking Heads boxset), but I really want one of these players that can play all discs by HDMI.
post #46 of 300 Old 08-14-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just picked this up last night and using it mostly for SACD's. I have it connected via HDMI and outputting DSD which works fine for multi-channel. However, sometimes I want to listen to the 2 channel SACD portion of the track, and I didn't see a way to switch it. It seems like I can only listen to the 2 channel portion if I switch to the analog outputs.

Is this true??

If so I guess I can have the receiver downmix into two channels, but i'd rather just play from the 2 channel ara of the SACD.
post #47 of 300 Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

Just picked this up last night and using it mostly for SACD's. I have it connected via HDMI and outputting DSD which works fine for multi-channel. However, sometimes I want to listen to the 2 channel SACD portion of the track, and I didn't see a way to switch it. It seems like I can only listen to the 2 channel portion if I switch to the analog outputs.

Is this true??

If so I guess I can have the receiver downmix into two channels, but i'd rather just play from the 2 channel ara of the SACD.

Check page 42 in the manual. There is a setting to set the default to 2 ch area, Multi ch area, or CD area.

You will not be able to access these settings if a disc is playing.
post #48 of 300 Old 08-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlowz View Post

Hello,

I have a Oppo 981HD that I bought from the woot deal. When I want to watch a SD DVD it has the Macoblocking (spelling) issue on my Epson Pro 1080 UB. It bothers me and the Oppo will need to go. My question is does the 48 have the macro blocking issue like the Oppo?

Have you considered the Oppo 980H?

BDP-83 EAP (first 50)
post #49 of 300 Old 08-14-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

Check page 42 in the manual. There is a setting to set the default to 2 ch area, Multi ch area, or CD area.

You will not be able to access these settings if a disc is playing.

Yes I saw that, but those options are grayed out whenever I use HDMI as the digital output.
post #50 of 300 Old 08-14-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

Yes I saw that, but those options are grayed out whenever I use HDMI as the digital output.

I forgot about that. Turn off HDMI output, change all your SACD settings, and then turn it back on. Worked for me.
post #51 of 300 Old 08-14-2008, 03:24 PM

Anyone try a dualdisc with DVD-A yet?
post #52 of 300 Old 08-14-2008, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywhitenoise View Post

Anyone try a dualdisc with DVD-A yet?

I'll give the same advice as before the forum crash. Buy it from Vann's, they offer a 30 day full money back gaurantee. If it doesn't play the disc's, send it back, all you will lose is return shipping.

If you wait much longer, they will be sold out. I like mine enough that I am seriously considering getting another, just as a backup. I think I will still have SACD's and DVD's long after the two year warranty is up.
post #53 of 300 Old 08-14-2008, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi - Thought I was reasonably on top of the jargon and technologies, but having done my last research a couple years ago, I see there are a bunch more acronyms! I currently have a Pioneer DV588A, which I'm thinking of replacing. Trying to figure out if the DV48 is a clear improvement in all respects, or if there are any things I'll lose from the DV-588A. Anyone familiar with both? I use for both video/HT and audio, and high quality audio is important to me for music.

Thanks,
Michael
post #54 of 300 Old 08-18-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Detachable power cord on the DV-48AV?

Part of my ever-growing SACD collection
post #55 of 300 Old 08-18-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post

Detachable power cord on the DV-48AV?

No. But the cord that comes with it is quite sufficient for it's massive 12w power draw.
post #56 of 300 Old 08-19-2008, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Just got mine today. Here are my initial impressions:

* The unit looks and feels like my previous Pioneer universal player: DV-578a. Even the menu system is the same.
* The power up time is about 6 seconds. Same as DV-578a and annoyingly slow compare to other DVD players.
* My connection is HDMI to my Elite 92 receiver. So far all my SACD, DVD-A and Dual Discs play fine. DVD-A tracks on DualDiscs can be played just fine but CD side won't play.
post #57 of 300 Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

DVD-A tracks on DualDiscs can be played just fine but CD side won't play.

That's comforting to know! I ended up buying one last friday, should be here tomorrow. I figure for $100 it's alright to take the risk, if not I'll play $15 and ship it back.
post #58 of 300 Old 08-19-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperm View Post

Hi - Thought I was reasonably on top of the jargon and technologies, but having done my last research a couple years ago, I see there are a bunch more acronyms! I currently have a Pioneer DV588A, which I'm thinking of replacing. Trying to figure out if the DV48 is a clear improvement in all respects, or if there are any things I'll lose from the DV-588A. Anyone familiar with both? I use for both video/HT and audio, and high quality audio is important to me for music.

Thanks,
Michael

I don't have 588a but only a 578a to compare to. The biggest difference is HDMI 1.2 output to carry both DVD-Audio and SACD to a capable AVR in one cable instead of using separate 5.1 analog out and rely on speaker/bass management function (often poorly implemented) of the player.

It adds a front USB port to let you play DIVX or WMV movie files which is lacking from my 578a but, IIRC, 588a has DIVX playback capability already.

HDMI video upscaling is another difference. Although inferior in PQ compared to my Reon-based HD/BD player, it is not bad and can output 1080p but I don't have anything to test its de-interlacing capability.
post #59 of 300 Old 08-19-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The DV-48AV will play movie files from USB? According to the manual, it's music files only. Have to give that a shot when I get home.
post #60 of 300 Old 08-19-2008, 01:07 PM

Both movie and music. But apparently it only plays SD movies as stated by manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page