post #61 of 300 Old 08-19-2008, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Both movie and music. But apparently it only plays SD movies as stated by manual.

The manual states:

It is possible to listen to two-channel audio and
watch JPEG files using the USB interface on
the front of this unit. Connect a USB mass
storage device as shown below.
Note
This includes playback of MP3/WMA/
MPEG-4 AAC/JPEG files (except files with
copy-protection or restricted playback).

I just tried some Divx files, no go. But they play fine from DVD-RW, so no biggie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 300 Old 08-20-2008, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Try some WMV 480p files. It works for me.
post #63 of 300 Old 08-20-2008, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just set up my player, damn it feels good to get rid of my 10 cables (6 multi-channel analog cables, coaxial cable, component cables). There was nothing to fear, this player DOES in fact play DVD-A hi-res audio tracks on dual-discs.

I have a couple of questions though, I turned Digital Out to "Off" because I noticed I dont need the TV on to play music, yet when I turn off the TV the DSD and DVD-A hi-res default to 2ch mode, is there any way to get hi-res audio in 5.1 without having to have the TV on?
Also, it skips the first 2 seconds of the first track when I play an album, is there a way to correct that?
Thanks.

post #64 of 300 Old 08-20-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just received this player yesterday as well. The build quality is pretty good and weighs a bit more than my old DV-578A and definitely feels more substantial than the DV-410 that I saw at the store. I only have it hooked up directly to a Sony KDL-46Z4100 via an HDMI cable from monoprice. I don't have a receiver at the moment as my Pio 1014TX died on me. As mentioned by others above, start-up time is a bit slow, probably comparable to the 578A although I have not timed it. I put in Ratatouille to test out the player and the colors and picture output were great. It did stall at one point for some unknown reason, but when I stopped the player and started over it did not have that problem. I also tried a DivX disc which it played fine. I also played a .avi movie from a USB flash drive with no problem, although I will note that playback seemed smoother when I played the same movie on my Phillips 5960 on my 34XBR960. Maybe it was the bigger screen of the 46Z4100 that magnified the poor quality of the .avi movie.

The ability to play SACD is a plus. I don't have a big collection and no receiver at the moment but the build quality and mult-channel audio capability and the low price from Vann's at the moment make it a better buy than the Pio DV-410.
post #65 of 300 Old 08-24-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

The DV-48AV will play movie files from USB? According to the manual, it's music files only. Have to give that a shot when I get home.

Beware about this one. It plays divx, but mine would lock up on 75% of the files I played. I sent it back to Pioneer, where it's been for about 8 weeks now. I see another review on Bestbuy.com with the same issue. I'm not very happy about it.
post #66 of 300 Old 08-25-2008, 08:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoPaul View Post

Beware about this one. It plays divx, but mine would lock up on 75% of the files I played. I sent it back to Pioneer, where it's been for about 8 weeks now. I see another review on Bestbuy.com with the same issue. I'm not very happy about it.

I believe you're supposed to either ship it or take it to your nearist Pioneer authorized service center, as opposed to shipping it directly to Pioneer's US headquarters in California. I just thought it might be a possible reason for the delay. The only thing I can think of for you to do would be for you to call Pioneer, ask them to ship your unit back to you, and take it to your nearist authorized service center.
post #67 of 300 Old 08-25-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerxp View Post

Can you confirm this will work on Pioneer DV-48AV before i start buying remotes and trying to figure out how ? :-)

I should receive my DV-58AV via UPS sometime next week. Being a fan of contemporary British musical theatre, I have every intention on trying the hack as soon as I get it. If it works on the 58, more than likely it will work on the 48.
post #68 of 300 Old 08-27-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom View Post

I believe you're supposed to either ship it or take it to your nearist Pioneer authorized service center, as opposed to shipping it directly to Pioneer's US headquarters in California. I just thought it might be a possible reason for the delay. The only thing I can think of for you to do would be for you to call Pioneer, ask them to ship your unit back to you, and take it to your nearist authorized service center.

Typo. Bestbuy shipped it to Pioneer. It is allegedly on the way back to me. I'll report back if they actually fixed the problem.
post #69 of 300 Old 08-27-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoPaul View Post

Typo. Bestbuy shipped it to Pioneer. It is allegedly on the way back to me. I'll report back if they actually fixed the problem.

Don't take things to Best Buy for service--LOL!
post #70 of 300 Old 08-29-2008, 05:00 PM

Has anyone found a way to make this unit output the 2channel layer of SACDs in DSD over HDMI. I have looked everywhere in the menus and find no way. The only option I can find is to have the player convert the two channel layer to PCM and output it that way. Does the DV58 output the stereo layer over HDMI. I am kind of bummed out because I really dont care for the surround mixes.
post #71 of 300 Old 08-29-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdoggy View Post

Has anyone found a way to make this unit output the 2channel layer of SACDs in DSD over HDMI. I have looked everywhere in the menus and find no way. The only option I can find is to have the player convert the two channel layer to PCM and output it that way. Does the DV58 output the stereo layer over HDMI. I am kind of bummed out because I really dont care for the surround mixes.

Go to the home menu. Highlight initial setup. Hit enter. Highlight options. Hit enter. Highlight the option regarding SACD playback. Hit enter. Highlight the 2-channel option. Hit enter. Exit the setup menu. Done!
post #72 of 300 Old 08-29-2008, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom View Post

Go to the home menu. Highlight initial setup. Hit enter. Highlight options. Hit enter. Highlight the option regarding SACD playback. Hit enter. Highlight the 2-channel option. Hit enter. Exit the setup menu. Done!

Those options are grayed out when you select to output over HDMI. I'm having the same issue as well. Anytime I stream DSD is goes straight to 5.1
post #73 of 300 Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

Those options are grayed out when you select to output over HDMI. I'm having the same issue as well. Anytime I stream DSD is goes straight to 5.1

That's correct. Page 47 of the manual clearly lists what you will get with HDMI. Basically, anything other than LPCM 2-channel setting will send out 5.1 for both SACD and DVD-Audio.
post #74 of 300 Old 08-30-2008, 10:34 AM

I'm considering upgrading from my Samsung DVD-HD941 to the Pioneer Elite DV-48AV. There is a 'con' on CNET that states the Elite does NOT decode DTS, is this true? Seems like a strange omission for this level of player. Is the picture quality over HDMI likely to be superior to my older Samsung? I've not been overly impressed with it's up-converting capabilities to my Toshiba Regza 52RV530U. I need to keep SACD/DVD-A capability (currently run analog to my HK AVR-635). looking for AVR upgrade in the near future, probably a Pioneer elite since HK can't seem to get new models out the door without bugs. Anyway, any current owner thoughts on the DV-48AV are appreciated!

My Home Theater:
Harman Kardon AVR 635
Toshiba Regza 52RV530U 52" LCD TV
DirecTV HR-21 DVR with AM-21 OTA tuner
Samsung DVD-HD941
Nintendo Wii
XBOX 360
Athena S.5 (x6) surround speakers
Athena C.5 center speaker
HSU STF-2 Subwoofer
Sennheiser Wireless Headphones
MX-500 Theatermaster universal remote
post #75 of 300 Old 08-30-2008, 05:46 PM

HD941 uses Faroudja chip for upconversion. It's pretty good at its time. And still pretty good today. I don't think DV-48av will offer anything new as far as PQ concerns. It's the DVD-A/SACD over HDMI capability that are of great interest.
post #76 of 300 Old 08-30-2008, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That's correct. Page 47 of the manual clearly lists what you will get with HDMI. Basically, anything other than LPCM 2-channel setting will send out 5.1 for both SACD and DVD-Audio.

Thanks. Please forgive my ignorance, but is this a limitation of the format (DSD) or the DV-48?
post #77 of 300 Old 08-30-2008, 06:59 PM

DV-48 of course.
post #78 of 300 Old 08-30-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Turn off HDMI out, change the settings, and then turn HDMI out back on. It will keep the settings, and give you 2 channel. Works fine on mine.
post #79 of 300 Old 08-30-2008, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Turn off HDMI out, change the settings, and then turn HDMI out back on. It will keep the settings, and give you 2 channel. Works fine on mine.

Doesn't work for me. I did exactly that, and anytime I set it back to DSD output, it plays the 5.1 layer of the SACD instead of the 2 layer track. The only time it plays the 2 channel layer is when I set it for LPCM 2 channel. Kind of a bummer since I'm more of a 2 channel guy.
post #80 of 300 Old 08-31-2008, 06:12 AM

I wonder if you can set your receiver to 2-ch only via HDMI. I know HDMI devices need to make initial handshake to determine what format can be transmitted. If the player found your AVR is only 2-ch, it may pick 2-ch SACD. Just a thought.
post #81 of 300 Old 08-31-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Those settings do not affect the HDMI output. Mine is set for 2chan(the factory default BTW) The machine is stouborn. Even when set to 480i output resolution where it only outputs 2 DSD channels it outputs the left and right front channels of the 5.1 layer not the stereo layer. It looks like I need to start saving for one of these http://www.mm-news.org/equipment/78-...-with-dsd.html
post #82 of 300 Old 08-31-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdoggy View Post

Those settings do not affect the HDMI output. Mine is set for 2chan(the factory default BTW) The machine is stouborn. Even when set to 480i output resolution where it only outputs 2 DSD channels it outputs the left and right front channels of the 5.1 layer not the stereo layer. It looks like I need to start saving for one of these http://www.mm-news.org/equipment/78-...-with-dsd.html

Bobdoggy,

After some tweaking I finally figured out a way to make it work. If you choke the HDMI bandwidth on the fly by outputting 480i, you'll indeed only get the left and right channels from the 5.1 mix. However I found out if you let the DV-48 and the receiver re-negotiate by ejecting/inserting the disc, the DV-48 will play the 2 channel DSD layer. My receiver now says its receiving DSD 2.0 and it sounds great.

Kind of a pain to get it to work, but at least I don't have to buy a new SACD player.
post #83 of 300 Old 08-31-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Bobdoggy,

After some tweaking I finally figured out a way to make it work. If you choke the HDMI bandwidth on the fly by outputting 480i, you'll indeed only get the left and right channels from the 5.1 mix. However I found out if you let the DV-48 and the receiver re-negotiate by ejecting/inserting the disc, the DV-48 will play the 2 channel DSD layer. My receiver now says its receiving DSD 2.0 and it sounds great.

Kind of a pain to get it to work, but at least I don't have to buy a new SACD player.

Seems to work. I am getting 2channel DSD direct on the display of my Integra 9.8. Thanks.
post #84 of 300 Old 09-02-2008, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am considering buying the DV-48AV to replace several Pioneer 563 models due to the up conversion and SACD/DVD-A playback. I have looked everywhere to find out what the crossover frequency for the bass management for the analog output is for DVD-A and SACD. On the 563's SACD is at 120hz and DVD-A is at 200hz. I just bought a Denon 1940 and it crosses over at 80hz and this made a big difference. Does anyone know what it is for the 48AV? Thanks for the help.
post #85 of 300 Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM

From another thread (in Surround Music Format forum), someone posted a reply from Pio states that 48av's cross over is still 200Hz. The good thing about 48av is that if you use HDMI, your (HDMI) receiver will take over the bass management. That's why I purchased this to replace my DV-578a.
post #86 of 300 Old 09-02-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah HDMI is definitely the way to go, if your receiver allows it. I have it connected both via HDMI and analog so I can switch back on forth and compare. The HDMI sounds so much fuller thanks to the bass management in the receiver.

The only thing I wish the DV-48 had was a button to toggle between the different layers on a Hybrid SACD. This was a handy feature on my old Denon.
post #87 of 300 Old 09-02-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Yeah HDMI is definitely the way to go, if your receiver allows it. I have it connected both via HDMI and analog so I can switch back on forth and compare. The HDMI sounds so much fuller thanks to the bass management in the receiver.

The only thing I wish the DV-48 had was a button to toggle between the different layers on a Hybrid SACD. This was a handy feature on my old Denon.

I think DV-48 lacks this altogether. See posts above: if you connect with HDMI, you can't chose 2-ch SACD at all even in setup.
post #88 of 300 Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think DV-48 lacks this altogether. See posts above: if you connect with HDMI, you can't chose 2-ch SACD at all even in setup.

A workaround has been discovered in order to play the 2 channel DSD layer over HDMI. See posts above
post #89 of 300 Old 09-02-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:

A workaround has been discovered in order to play the 2 channel DSD layer over HDMI. See posts above

Yeah, but that's a workaround, not a built-in feature. So how an extra button will help?
post #90 of 300 Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for all of the input. I will be connecting the player through the analog inputs and not HDMI at this point. I have a Denon 2802 for the receiver. I run (4) 8" three way in walls with (2) NHT passive 8" subs with a NHT SA-2 amp and center channel speaker. I wanted to see if I was going to get a better sound quality SACD/DVD-A out of this versus the Denon DVD player that says it crosses over at 80hz versus my Pioneer 563A which crosses over at 120hz and 200hz for SACD and DVD-A respectfully. If the 48AV crosses over at the same frequencie the 563A crosses over at I may not gain any more than the 1080P upconvert which for $99.88 and free shipping from Vann's might make it worth changing out the 563A's for this one. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page