OPPO Digital Presents: DV-980H (1080p, SACD DSD, 7.1 Surround, USB 2.0) - Page 213 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #6361 of 6382 Old 02-15-2014, 11:38 AM
Newbie
 
scorpio333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had this player for quite a few yrs now. Never had any issues until the other day. My daughter likes to leaves dvd's in it and on. I heard a faint rotational noise and it was the Oppo. Turned it off and didn't think much of it. Now today she's having a fit because Baby Einstein won't load. It spins and squeaks for a few mins then "Unknown disc" appears on screen. Tried a few different discs, same result.

My assumption is something inside needs a little cleaning or light machine oil. Any guesses? I know I could replace it with a $100 BD player, but I'd like to get some more miles out of it if possible.
scorpio333 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6362 of 6382 Old 02-15-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio333 View Post

I've had this player for quite a few yrs now. Never had any issues until the other day. My daughter likes to leaves dvd's in it and on. I heard a faint rotational noise and it was the Oppo. Turned it off and didn't think much of it. Now today she's having a fit because Baby Einstein won't load. It spins and squeaks for a few mins then "Unknown disc" appears on screen. Tried a few different discs, same result.

My assumption is something inside needs a little cleaning or light machine oil. Any guesses? I know I could replace it with a $100 BD player, but I'd like to get some more miles out of it if possible.

I don't know about fixing it yourself, but I've read Oppo will fix their players at a very reasonable flat rate.

Do you strictly use it as a DVD player? If so, I'd be tempted just to replace it.

Saturn94 is offline  
post #6363 of 6382 Old 02-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
blairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cranebrook NSW Australia
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio333 View Post

I've had this player for quite a few yrs now. Never had any issues until the other day. My daughter likes to leaves dvd's in it and on. I heard a faint rotational noise and it was the Oppo. Turned it off and didn't think much of it. Now today she's having a fit because Baby Einstein won't load. It spins and squeaks for a few mins then "Unknown disc" appears on screen. Tried a few different discs, same result.

My assumption is something inside needs a little cleaning or light machine oil. Any guesses? I know I could replace it with a $100 BD player, but I'd like to get some more miles out of it if possible.

Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it for a few hours? No promises but that has worked for me in the past with this player and the BDP-93 when this sort of thing happens.

Good luck
blairy
blairy is offline  
post #6364 of 6382 Old 02-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Newbie
 
scorpio333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I don't know about fixing it yourself, but I've read Oppo will fix their players at a very reasonable flat rate.

Do you strictly use it as a DVD player? If so, I'd be tempted just to replace it.

Considering it's age and what a new player would cost, it's either I fix it or it gets recycled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post

Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it for a few hours? No promises but that has worked for me in the past with this player and the BDP-93 when this sort of thing happens.

Good luck
blairy

Going to try that. If that doesn't help, I'm opening her up.
scorpio333 is offline  
post #6365 of 6382 Old 02-16-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio333 View Post

Considering it's age and what a new player would cost, it's either I fix it or it gets recycled.
Going to try that. If that doesn't help, I'm opening her up.

It certainly won't hurt at this point to open it up and see what you can do. Maybe shoot Oppo an email for tips on what to try?

Any chance you can post pics after you open it up? biggrin.gif

Do you use it's SACD/DVD Audio features? Mine is primarily used for playing SACD/DVD Audio.

Saturn94 is offline  
post #6366 of 6382 Old 02-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Newbie
 
scorpio333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

AppleMark

Opened it up and I was amazed at the simplicity. I did send Oppo an email, but I don't expect much in the way of advice. Pretty rare to have a manufacturer suggesting to remove cover and start poking around, but we'll see.

So here's what happens. Power it on and insert a disc. The disc does NOT spin. My best guess is the motor here is the issue. The part in question is straight up from dead center in the second pic, right above the laser. It sometimes gives a little jerk like it wants to spins, then stops and the squeal starts. All parts seem to move freely, I don't see any dried up grease. I'll have to research that motor a bit.
scorpio333 is offline  
post #6367 of 6382 Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio333 View Post


AppleMark

Opened it up and I was amazed at the simplicity. I did send Oppo an email, but I don't expect much in the way of advice. Pretty rare to have a manufacturer suggesting to remove cover and start poking around, but we'll see.

So here's what happens. Power it on and insert a disc. The disc does NOT spin. My best guess is the motor here is the issue. The part in question is straight up from dead center in the second pic, right above the laser. It sometimes gives a little jerk like it wants to spins, then stops and the squeal starts. All parts seem to move freely, I don't see any dried up grease. I'll have to research that motor a bit.

Thanks for the updates and pics. I wonder how much it would cost to replace the drive? Perhaps Oppo could send you a drive?

Saturn94 is offline  
post #6368 of 6382 Old 02-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Newbie
 
scorpio333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I forgot to answer the use question…it's 99% used as a DVD drive for my 2 3/4 old daughter. She knows how to put discs in, take them out, put them away, etc. She, nor my wife doesn't know about turning it off when not in use. I'm an analog man nowadays so I listen to mostly vinyl at home. While some people are trying to get albums onto to CD, I'm trying to CD onto albums!

I unmounted the motor and sprayed some deoxit down in there. Let it simmer a bit and remounted it. It didn't want to spin when I put a disc in so I helped it along and it spun right up to speed. Let a disc play for a bit. Stop it, open, close, spins right up.

Now back to playing Baby Einstein and Disney discs.
Smarty-pants likes this.
scorpio333 is offline  
post #6369 of 6382 Old 02-17-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio333 View Post

I forgot to answer the use question…it's 99% used as a DVD drive for my 2 3/4 old daughter. She knows how to put discs in, take them out, put them away, etc. She, nor my wife doesn't know about turning it off when not in use. I'm an analog man nowadays so I listen to mostly vinyl at home. While some people are trying to get albums onto to CD, I'm trying to CD onto albums!

I unmounted the motor and sprayed some deoxit down in there. Let it simmer a bit and remounted it. It didn't want to spin when I put a disc in so I helped it along and it spun right up to speed. Let a disc play for a bit. Stop it, open, close, spins right up.

Now back to playing Baby Einstein and Disney discs.

Sweet!

Sounds like maybe dust or gunk built up in the spindle motor. Glad to hear it was an easy fix. smile.gif

I'll have to remember this should I ever run into the same problem.

Saturn94 is offline  
post #6370 of 6382 Old 09-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Newbie
 
drlopezmdfacp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhrvatin View Post
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>bhrvatin</strong> <a href="/forum/post/13447405"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""></a><br><br>
Update: I don't think the Oppo is the problem. I did some further listening tests today between the HDMI multichannel PCM and the analog outputs. I used a disc that was SACD 5.0 multichannel. The Oppo is definitely reading the multichannel layer. So for some reason, the Anthem is not acknowledging the center/surround tracks. (When I tested yesterday, I was using a 5.0 disc that had a weak center channel mix and that's why I thought the Oppo was playing the SACD stereo layer.)<br><br>
BTW, I listened to some 5.1 SACDs after I discovered that the Oppo is working as expected. I A/B'd the Oppo multichannel analog vs HDMI output. I was surprised that I could not distinguish a difference between the two outputs. I think this demonstrates the quality of the analog outputs on the Oppo, as well as the A/D and DSP sections of the Anthem D2.</div>
</div>
<br>
I spoke with both Anthem and Oppo tech support today. Anthem said they have heard of the HDMI hi-res multichannel problem between the D2 and the 980H and that Oppo has a firmware update to resolve the issue.<br><br>
When I spoke with Oppo, although they confirmed the error is in the 980H and that they had seen issues with DVD-A, they had not verified the problem with 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 channel SACDs and asked me which discs I tried so that they could have their firmware engineers test with them. There is no firmware update currently available to resolve the D2/980H issue and it sounded like an update was not going to be ready in the immediate future.<br><br>
Bart
was this resolved? Any way to fix?
drlopezmdfacp is offline  
post #6371 of 6382 Old 10-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Member
 
clemdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking of picking up one of these players used for a SACD and DVD-Audio player. Does it play these formats back thru HDMI or do you need to hook up analog cables?

Thanks in advance for any info.
clemdog is offline  
post #6372 of 6382 Old 10-05-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdog View Post
I'm thinking of picking up one of these players used for a SACD and DVD-Audio player. Does it play these formats back thru HDMI or do you need to hook up analog cables?

Thanks in advance for any info.
I'm pretty sure it does play through HDMI without having to use the analog connections. The owners manual shows connecting via HDMI only when using a HDMI equipped AVR.

Mine is connected via analog since my pre/pro lacks HDMI.
Saturn94 is offline  
post #6373 of 6382 Old 10-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Digiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Queens N.Y. U.S.A.
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Both analog connection and HDMI will work for SACD playback on the 980H
mhobart likes this.
Digiti is offline  
post #6374 of 6382 Old 10-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Member
 
clemdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks folks!
clemdog is offline  
post #6375 of 6382 Old 10-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
rtart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiti View Post
Both analog connection and HDMI will work for SACD playback on the 980H
Yep, HDMI and/or analog.

I've had one for many years, and never had a hiccup. I use it mostly for SACD and DVD-A playback. It's a screaming deal, since you can usually find one for less than $100 on eBay. Make sure to set it up for 1080i or better playback, though to make sure you get the full audio resolution for hirez disc formats. I forget why, but its necessary. I'm sure the reason is here in the thread somewhere.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
rtart is offline  
post #6376 of 6382 Old 10-07-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
Yep, HDMI and/or analog.

I've had one for many years, and never had a hiccup. I use it mostly for SACD and DVD-A playback. It's a screaming deal, since you can usually find one for less than $100 on eBay. Make sure to set it up for 1080i or better playback, though to make sure you get the full audio resolution for hirez disc formats. I forget why, but its necessary. I'm sure the reason is here in the thread somewhere.
Good catch on the 1080i or better thing. You're right (it's mentioned in the manual). I had forgotten about that.

I also use mine primarily for SACD and DVD Audio, and you're right, it is a great deal!
Saturn94 is offline  
post #6377 of 6382 Old 11-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Member
 
skads_187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i currently have the oppo connected to my receiver via hdmi, watch mostly movies with it.
When I play audio cd's I usually play in surround.
however, if I want to play in stereo, is using the hdmi cable the best option? and switch my receiver to stereo mode?

is there a better way to play stereo for audio cds using the oppo?

thanks
skads_187 is offline  
post #6378 of 6382 Old 11-17-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by skads_187 View Post
i currently have the oppo connected to my receiver via hdmi, watch mostly movies with it.
When I play audio cd's I usually play in surround.
however, if I want to play in stereo, is using the hdmi cable the best option? and switch my receiver to stereo mode?

is there a better way to play stereo for audio cds using the oppo?

thanks
Good question. I use the analog outputs since my older pre pro lacks HDMI.

Saturn94 is offline  
post #6379 of 6382 Old 11-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Member
 
skads_187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Good question. I use the analog outputs since my older pre pro lacks HDMI.
yeah, this is what im wondering, what will sound better hdmi or analog output?
skads_187 is offline  
post #6380 of 6382 Old 11-17-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by skads_187 View Post
yeah, this is what im wondering, what will sound better hdmi or analog output?
I guess just try it and see if you can hear a difference.

The analog outputs sound great to me.
skads_187 likes this.

Saturn94 is offline  
post #6381 of 6382 Old 11-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Member
 
skads_187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
I guess just try it and see if you can hear a difference.

The analog outputs sound great to me.
yup will do, once the room is complete and I hook up all my equipment, unfortunately, that can be awhile.
skads_187 is offline  
post #6382 of 6382 Unread Today, 01:13 AM
Member
 
Tomdabomb9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up one of these bad boys off ebay. I'm connecting it to a Music Fidelity V-Dac II via coaxial cable. The V-Dac is connected to a stereo receiver. Can anyone tell me the best settings to use? I just want pure audio output. No changes made or anything.

Also, I noticed when reading the manual there's an 'audio-only mode' button on the remote. Unfortunately the remote didn't come with my DVD player. Is there a way to turn on this mode w/o the remote or would I need a remote to do it?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. If any of this has been covered already I apologize, but this is a very long thread! A quick search also didn't come up with anything. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be lovely
Tomdabomb9 is online now  
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off