OPPO Digital Presents: DV-980H (1080p, SACD DSD, 7.1 Surround, USB 2.0) - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 6370 Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know you can't discuss it, but I'm anxiously awaiting your review Kal.

Making the most out of what I got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 6370 Old 10-15-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

I know you can't discuss it, but I'm anxiously awaiting your review Kal.

Just posted it to the office.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1893 of 6370 Old 10-15-2007, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

post #1894 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 07:11 AM

hi Guys-Here's my dilemma- please help

I am from Australia, and are really exicted about purchasing an Oppo(heard & read great things) - either the 980H or the 981HD .

Because i am in Aus and the primary DVD format is PAL , i have heard that the 981-HD does a better job of de-interlacing through the faroudja chip & there for would be the better option for me..... however... at the moment i have an older LCD tv(upgrading around christmas) with only component , s-video & composite video connections (No HDMI) ;(

As the 981HD has no component inputs my question is...

would i still be better off with the 981HD through a S-video or composite video connection or should i go with the 980H as i can use the component inputs????

I am leaning towards the 980H as i also watch lots of divX (prison break,heroes from U.S) & the usb hub is handy for this.....

any thoughts..... cheers
post #1895 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Man View Post

I am from Australia, and are really exicted about purchasing an Oppo(heard & read great things) - either the 980H or the 981HD .

Because i am in Aus and the primary DVD format is PAL , i have heard that the 981-HD does a better job of de-interlacing through the faroudja chip & there for would be the better option for me..... however... at the moment i have an older LCD tv(upgrading around christmas) with only component , s-video & composite video connections (No HDMI) ;(

would i still be better off with the 981HD through a S-video or composite video connection or should i go with the 980H as i can use the component inputs????

I am leaning towards the 980H as i also watch lots of divX (prison break,heroes from U.S) & the usb hub is handy for this.....

any thoughts..... cheers

You are in a real dilemma. First, s-vid and compostite will SUCK. Don't think about doing that. The 981 is wayyy better with PAL than the 980, but of course no component out. Your options are limited here. If you don't mind compromising some quality, than maybe the 980, but you'll not want it anymore after you get an HDMI capable tv. Personally, I myself would just wait a little. Get the 981 when you get a new tv, or wait to get a 983.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1896 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 136
BTW Mr Man, welcome to AVS.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1897 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Man View Post

any thoughts..... cheers

There is not much point in getting an Oppo for its s-video or composite ports. No one makes any quality claims for those outputs; they are probably comparable to any other system.

S-video and composite are always limited to 480i/NTSC and 576i/PAL.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #1898 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

If you are hearing audible noises from the DVD player when inserting or ejecting discs, when at previews or the menus of a disc, or when manually skipping chapters/titles, then the noise is normal. If, however, you hear noise during the actual playback of the main film, then your player is defective and should be replaced or repaired.

I emailed to Oppo customer service and they replied the same thing. They said that my units is working properly. The actual playback is very quiet, but if in the middle of the movie I go to "menu", the audible noise comes from the player. It's kinda loud, but well, if they say it should be like that, then I have no more complaints. Thanks.
post #1899 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

In what respect? The perceptual audible gap between 16/44 digital and 'hi rez' digital is nowhere near the magnitude of the visible gap between SDTV and HDTV. Digital audio was just that good from almost the git-go, whereas video had a long way to go. In any case it would be premature to claim otherwise without having the exact same mastering on CD to compare it to. Or do you just mean the fact that DVD-A can offer multichannel audio, while CD is practically limited to two channels?

Yes, I meant what you mentioned in your last sentence (question). Listening to music in true 5.1 sound is so much better than standard 2.0 sound or receiver-processed 5.1 sound.

Procrastination is the thief of time.
-- Edward Young

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

You shouldn't mix meditation with management.
The mind gets too empty.

-- Scott Adams, "Dilbert"
post #1900 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I feel that it's all really more about how well these hi-resolution releases are mixed. I have large archive of SACD's and DVD-A's (about 400 total), they all vary in terms of bottom-line sound-quality. My SACD's tend to be consistently better mixed (from my experiences).

While I haven't heard any SACDs yet (will borrow from a coworker when I get a chance), I've read that the software is better for SACDs. Which is a shame for DVD-A since it's apparently a technically superior format, but was not as fully exploited to utilize that sound capability as SACD was (and is).

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #1901 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

I've now had time to check the 980 manual and my answer, copied above, is wrong.

The 980 manual does not mention the max res of an input jpeg file.

I own a Samsung DLP LED HL-T5689S HDTV and it has a USB 2.0 jpeg interface too. My jpeg max res recollection was from my Samsung TV manual. The note reads:

I'm sorry for the mistake and inaccurate info. I don't know the max res of an OPPO 980 jpeg input file.

Avio

I just called Oppo, they say it can handle up to a 20mb Jpeg which is pretty big. something like (6000 X 6000). This should be ok for my 8 megapixel camera.

post #1902 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

I wrote to OPPO on Saturday morning and they replied Monday mid-day!

Here's what they said:

Needless to say, I'm very pleased.

Avio

Yes, that is great tech support. So if we see the cleaned up screen saver in the next firmware update, we'll have you to thank for!

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #1903 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

Yes, I meant what you mentioned in your last sentence (question). Listening to music in true 5.1 sound is so much better than standard 2.0 sound or receiver-processed 5.1 sound.

Ever tried these DPL II settings?

'Music' mode
Center width: 6 (on a scale of 1 - 7, where 7 is 'no center output')
Dimension: 0 (on a scale of -3 - +3)
Panorama : ON

I think you might be surprised at how 'multichannel' some stereo stuff sounds at these settings.
post #1904 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 01:17 PM

I have an issue with the DVD image from my 980 beginning with the set-up menu - there is significant "ghosting" that manifests itself as a white outline around the text of the set up menu and in movies as well that is becoming very distracting. I am hooked up to an older Panasonic rear projection Hi-def set with 1080i as its native resolution and no HDMI, so I use the component cables on 480p. When I run some unprotected material on 1080i, the ghosting goes away but the picture isn't as crisp as on 480p. I am outside my 30 day return period so I am looking at having to send the unit in for repair. I have tried switching cables, leaving all the OPPO video settings at 0, eliminating the picture modifiers on my display. I do not have this issue on hi-def TV programming via my cable box, so it is hard to think that my TV is the issue, though I realize I can't rule that out. The fact that the issue manifests itself initially on the setup menu suggests to me that there is something wrong with the unit. I do plan down the road to get a HDMI TV which may eliminate the problem, but just the fact that I am having a problem with component outs makes me feel that the rest of the unit may not have been up to spec when it left the factory. I wrote this up to OPPO service and they responded for me to eliminate all "artificial" settings as I have done. I will also say that it is not easy for me to remove the OPPO from its rack and set it up to another TV. I would be able to take another DVD player and run it through the front S-video jacks on the TV just to see if I see ghosting on the menu. Before I send my unit in for repair, is there anything any of you experts can share with me regarding this problem or potential fix? One thing I haven't done is to calibrate the TV with one of the discs out there - I don't know how to access the service menu on my Panasonic rear projection set, but again, I don't see the ghosting issue on TV programing, which looks quite good in 1080i format.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have,

Analyst7
post #1905 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 08:20 PM

Hi Folks,

Just got mine delivered today, and am setting it up, drooling. I do have one question that I can't seem to find answered here or on their site:

Do the channel delay and trim settings affect only the analog RCA outs, or also the digital optical and coax outs?

Thanks!

-N
post #1906 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post

Do the channel delay and trim settings affect only the analog RCA outs, or also the digital optical and coax outs?

Speaker settings (delays, trim, bass management, downmix) do not affect optical and coaxial outputs. Those will pass a raw, unaltered bitstream (assuming digital output is set to "raw" as it is by default).

gonk
Beta tester:
/
post #1907 of 6370 Old 10-16-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

Speaker settings (delays, trim, bass management, downmix) do not affect optical and coaxial outputs. Those will pass a raw, unaltered bitstream (assuming digital output is set to "raw" as it is by default).

Perfect! Thanks for the quick reply!

On another note, I was thrilled to see the blacker than black bars on the GetGray brightness callibration screen. My old Pioneer DV-578A couldn't display those on my Samsung Hp-T5054 through the component inputs.
post #1908 of 6370 Old 10-17-2007, 08:15 AM

Hi, not sure if anyone faced this problem after the firmware upgrade. After removing usb device (external hdd) from the player the system would hang and "black out". Any solution to it?
post #1909 of 6370 Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redevils View Post

Hi, not sure if anyone faced this problem after the firmware upgrade. After removing usb device (external hdd) from the player the system would hang and "black out". Any solution to it?

Did you change the input back to DVD before removing the drive? I'd try doing that or powering the Oppo down before unplugging the drive.
post #1910 of 6370 Old 10-17-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseGoth View Post

Did you change the input back to DVD before removing the drive? I'd try doing that or powering the Oppo down before unplugging the drive.

Ya, after changing the input to DVD, it would auto detect my HDD again and go back to USB menu.
post #1911 of 6370 Old 10-17-2007, 08:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

This happened to me during beta testing, but I thought later firmware fixed it.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #1912 of 6370 Old 10-17-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

This happened to me during beta testing, but I thought later firmware fixed it.

-Bill

Apparantly no, only solution is to power off the player and remove the device, i just email oppo to address this problem.
post #1913 of 6370 Old 10-17-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Apparantly no, only solution is to power off the player and remove the device, i just email oppo to address this problem.

I'll play around with mine tonight and see if it acts the same. I haven't yet upgraded my firmware.
post #1914 of 6370 Old 10-17-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

Ever tried these DPL II settings?

'Music' mode
Center width: 6 (on a scale of 1 - 7, where 7 is 'no center output')
Dimension: 0 (on a scale of -3 - +3)
Panorama : ON

I think you might be surprised at how 'multichannel' some stereo stuff sounds at these settings.

I'm letting the receiver do all the sound processing. So I disabled DPLII on the DVD player side. Even w/ my receiver's (Onkyo '605) generous options of sound processing, while some, such as Neural, sounds cool, I resort to liking Stereo (all channels) the best. However, that does not compare to true 5.1 sound that I experienced w/ the BMG "Audio" DVD-A.

-- Edward Young

-- Benjamin Franklin

The mind gets too empty.

post #1915 of 6370 Old 10-17-2007, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyst7 View Post

I have an issue with the DVD image from my 980 beginning with the set-up menu - there is significant "ghosting" that manifests itself as a white outline around the text of the set up menu and in movies as well that is becoming very distracting.

The problem is the menus on the OPPO product have errors associated to Edge Enhancement and Y/C Delay. They are not a good indicator of proper video playback on the player.

Can you take a picture of your error?

Ensure that Sharpness is completely Off on the player, and that your display does not have any enhancers turned On, specifically Edge Enhancement (EE).
post #1916 of 6370 Old 10-17-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachy0001 View Post

Hey there. I'm not sure if you.ve tried this. But to get the full signal from SACD (or DVD Audio) over HDMI, the resolution output must be set to 720p or higher.

yes. i set the output resolution to 1080p and i still didn't notice any difference. i may try again among other things. SACD playback is not a large issue for me; i was more curious than anything else. i'm not too sure whether SACD and DVD-A actually provides that much of difference over a high-quality mastered two-channel audio CD.
post #1917 of 6370 Old 10-17-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs View Post

yes. i set the output resolution to 1080p and i still didn't notice any difference. i may try again among other things. SACD playback is not a large issue for me; i was more curious than anything else. i'm not too sure whether SACD and DVD-A actually provides that much of difference over a high-quality mastered two-channel audio CD.

I have the 981 and I have NOT set it up for SACD/DVD-A. However I listen to 5.1 DTS CD's. I have about three or four CD's on both DTS and two channel. I listen to smooth jazz. Try DTS CD's Freddy Ravel's Sol To Soul or David Benoit's Landscape. Believe me that will convince you of the joy of listening to 5.1 digital surround music.
Thnx
post #1918 of 6370 Old 10-18-2007, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrico View Post

I have the 981 and I have NOT set it up for SACD/DVD-A. However I listen to 5.1 DTS CD's. I have about three or four CD's on both DTS and two channel. I listen to smooth jazz. Try DTS CD's Freddy Ravel's Sol To Soul or David Benoit's Landscape. Believe me that will convince you of the joy of listening to 5.1 digital surround music.
Thnx

You really should take a look at the SACD jazz selection. I only have a couple of DTS 5.1 Music Discs but a bunch of SACD's.

Chris
post #1919 of 6370 Old 10-18-2007, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

You really should take a look at the SACD jazz selection. I only have a couple of DTS 5.1 Music Discs but a bunch of SACD's.

Chris

I have three hybrid SACD's by Bob Belden The Black Dahlia sdtk, Michael Feinstein and Marion Meadows(smooth jazz). I have 14 DTS CD's though only about three or four on both DTS and two channel.
I am hoping to setup the SACD interconnect wires this week-end.
I watched The Transformers on my 981 & Sam DLP 50" and it looked and sounded awsome!
Thanks
post #1920 of 6370 Old 10-18-2007, 04:50 PM

I have a non HDCP compliant plasma tv does anybody know if the 970 or 981 firmware hack to disable HDCP on the player work, i cant fnd one for the 980?

Or does anyone know how to disable HDCP on this machine so i watch DVD's through my HDMI-DVI setup at 1080p. At the moment when i connect the HDMI-DVI cable and scroll to 1080p on the player the picture appears for 5 seconds the dissapears, i'm thinking this is the HDCP correct?

please please help !
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page