OPPO Digital Presents: DV-980H (1080p, SACD DSD, 7.1 Surround, USB 2.0) - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 6369 Old 11-30-2007, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Why would you want to do this? Your projector doesn't even output at that resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewrite1 View Post

Does anyone know if a hack or patch is available yet for the 980H so that it can do up to 1080i upconversion via component on copyright protected discs? If so, where can I find the hack/patch?

I have a Sharp Notebook XR-S1 projector that only accepts component via VGA (no HDMI/DVI) and am looking for the best player to upconvert without a hitch. If there currently is no patch for the 980H, what is the best recommended new player I should buy based on my criteria? If there is none, is it worth trying to buy a used Oppo 970HD on eBay? I'm stuck, as I don't expect to invest in a new HD-TV or HD-DVD or BluRay anytime soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 6369 Old 11-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post

I have a Belkin PureAV PF60, thanks. It's a very nice power conditioner.

May be an obvious question, but what's your average line voltage? If it's below 105, that might explain the chronic failures. Two failures of different players is coincidence; four is a trend pointing to some source other than the players. Could even be a faulty power conditioner.
post #2253 of 6369 Old 11-30-2007, 02:55 PM

I've only had the conditioner since... September. So I don't think that's the issue. The Panny and Pioneer players crapped out before I got the Oppo. Got the Oppo end of July. Line voltage with everything plugged in is 115v +/- 2V. The weird thing is that it takes awhile for each player to crap out. I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseGoth View Post

May be an obvious question, but what's your average line voltage? If it's below 105, that might explain the chronic failures. Two failures of different players is coincidence; four is a trend pointing to some source other than the players. Could even be a faulty power conditioner.

post #2254 of 6369 Old 11-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... The weird thing is that it takes awhile for each player to crap out. I don't get it.

- Did the players play 24/7?
- How often did you change discs?
- How much play back control; constant FF, FR, change chapters/tracks?
- Would you describe your usage as "typical home use" or "heavy studio use" ?
- Were there multiple users of the players, possibly including unsupervised children?
- Environment? Hot? Cold? Dirty? Humid?

Avio
post #2255 of 6369 Old 11-30-2007, 04:45 PM
GSB
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The weird thing is that it takes awhile for each player to crap out. I don't get it.

A faulty component in your power conditioner could be creating momentary drop-outs or spikes - the very thing the conditioner should be filtering out. Over time, this can slowly stress or degrade your equipment.

Gary
post #2256 of 6369 Old 11-30-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:

Why would you want to do this? Your projector doesn't even output at that resolution.

Actually, my Sharp XR-1S does upscale up to 1080i through component. Says so in the manual. But not sure which player to buy (old or new) that upscales to 1080i via component with no Macrovision issues. Any other suggestions? Is there any hope at all the a crack/patch will come for the 980HD, or is this wishful thinking?
post #2257 of 6369 Old 11-30-2007, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Actually, my Sharp XR-1S does upscale up to 1080i through component. Says so in the manual. But not sure which player to buy (old or new) that upscales to 1080i via component with no Macrovision issues. Any other suggestions? Is there any hope at all the a crack/patch will come for the 980HD, or is this wishful thinking?

You ask questions hoping for someone to give you the correct answers, yet you do not adhere to the advice given... so why do you even ask?

I'll say it again. NO component hack for the 980 (and no, one is not coming either). IF you want to upscale via component to 1080i/720p, you need to purchase either an Oppo DV-970HD or the next best, and even cheaper solution (because the Z doesn't have the great audio capabilities that the Oppo has), Zenith DVB-318.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #2258 of 6369 Old 12-01-2007, 03:32 AM

Recently an issue was found by Dale Adams concering Oppo 970's HDMI 480i output. His conclusion was further substantiated in his followon post. (It turns out the the issue had been known for more than a year, but was never understood nor explained.)

The incorrect (off-spec) HDMI behaviour for SD signals poses a problem for -at least- the DVDO VP50 and VP30 scalers. This problem presents itself as a loss of resolution. Not nice. Now that we know what's wrong the issue is easy to reproduce. Put on the vertical line testpattern from a test DVD. The finest (6.75 MHz) patters are either sharp or totally grey. This depends on luck if you are using a VP30/VP50. Other scalers, or TV's are maybe always sharp or always blurry!

Anyhow, I' posting this because it is as yet now know if this issue from the 970 has been carried over to the 980. (The 981 has no interlaced HDMI output, so wil not have this issue.)
post #2259 of 6369 Old 12-01-2007, 08:27 AM

The weird things with electronics....

I have both 980H and 981HD in my rack and some of the remote control buttons control both players. So, pressing the ON button turns on both players, etc....

The really weird thing is that my stereo preamp's up/down volume on the remote also turns on/off the 980H. Go figure these IR frequencies...
post #2260 of 6369 Old 12-01-2007, 10:03 AM

I've had the 980H for a while and while I am generally happy with it, I have just discovered its inability to see more than 700 files on media (as mentioned a couple of times in this thread). This is disappointing as I was hoping to use the 980H to access my entire music collection via a USB-connected hard drive.

It seems like such an arcane limitation. Here with have this very modern, hi-tech universal player which on paper looks like it also happens to be a great choice for MP3 playback, but then there is this huge Achilles Heel of the 700 file limit, which essentially renders the unit useless at a serious MP3 playback interface.

Any chance this limit could be removed in a future firmware release?

Cheers,
G.
post #2261 of 6369 Old 12-01-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Any chance this limit could be removed in a future firmware release?

No.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #2262 of 6369 Old 12-01-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
what happens when you get over 700 ?

I put some videos onto an external HDD that also had tonnes of photos on as a backup - and I had no problems ? (JPEGs being one of the medias it can play)

?
post #2263 of 6369 Old 12-01-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

what happens when you get over 700 ?

In the case of MP3 files, it will still show the folders but they will appear empty.

I haven't tried with other types of file.
post #2264 of 6369 Old 12-02-2007, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks

watched 4 films with the Oppo over the weekend - mixture of PAL and NTSC .. and now I've calibrated it/the Plasma with Video Essentials I've amazingly impressed.

in fact I'm considering selling the Tosh A-20 now .. as I think the Oppo is in within a hairs wiskers PQ wise (upscaling) - and the Oppo is so much quicker to use (no real long boot time, quick between chapters etc)

I bought the A-20 at same time as Oppo because

(1) I thought the Oppo was going to be awful for PAL ...
(2) I thought I'd play with HD material (even though my Plasma is only ED)

and I've found over the last few weeks

(i) I always end up using the Oppo for DVDs - no matter whether PAL or NTSC
(ii) I can't see a huge difference between HD DVD and upscaled DVD (and this is not just on my TV - I took the A-20 round a friends house who as a Toshiba 1080p LCD) - the
extra detail was in bits I wasn't watching - like the background etc. My friend at one point said "look at the tree branches in the background" ! - to which I responded with
I'm looking at King Kong fighting the T-Rex - not the background.

question for you guys - why do DVD players sound different when outputing the un-altered AC3 stream ...

A-20 sounds pretty good (optical)
Oppo sounds better in my opinion (coaxial)
XBOX 360 - optical out - sounds very flat

where they should all be outputting the same identical digital signal ? Which is either there or not

?

Mark.
post #2265 of 6369 Old 12-02-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am truly bummed that I can't get the 980 to pair properly over HDMI with my Onkyo 905; no matter what firmware rev I am using. I am reverting to my 970 (which only works properly with a firmware rev from Sept. 2006).

For those of you who successfully mate the 980 to the Onkyo 905...what firmware are you using on the 980, and have you updated your firmware on your 905?
post #2266 of 6369 Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

also is there a max-bitrate for XVIX/DIVX

just encoded a film split into 2 XVIDs each 1.4 gig .. and in 2 places on the first one - the sound breaks up - does it in the same place each time - is fine on the PC

I'm playing via USB2 4500rp protable hdd drive - is this not quick enough - or limitaion of the player ?

thanks, Mark.
post #2267 of 6369 Old 12-02-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

just tested on PC via the same drive and played fine .. perhaps the PC does some buffering that the Oppo doesn't ?
post #2268 of 6369 Old 12-02-2007, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I recently upgraded to an Oppo 980 from my venerable Panny CP72. I'm generally very pleased with the subtle, but definite video improvement and the flexibility on NTSC/PAL. However, I've run into one oddball problem, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this:

Some of my DVDs are down-converts from HD broadcasts that have been recorded on a Panny E-100 DVD recorder. Sometimes the Oppo goes into something I'm inclined to call "cogging' while playing back these discs. It appears to be playing back every 4th or 5th frame, so that the picture proceeds by a steady pattern of very slight pauses and jerks - - very much like what you see when you're scanning forward or back at high speed. The sound seems to be fine, and the picture is NOT running at higher speed. Rather, it's a little like what you see when a movie has been deliberately skip-framed or double-printed to get an odd look. This is NOT accompanied by any macroblocking or other dropout-type symptoms.

The easiest way to trigger this is to fast-forward one of these recordings for a few seconds, then drop back to normal speed by hitting "play." And the easiest way to make it go away is to hit "Stop" (not "Pause") and then resume playback with "Play." this leads me to suspect that the problem is that the MPEG decoder is hanging in a mode of reading only a sampling of frames, as it presumably does in FF. (this happens in 480i and 480p, so I don't think it has anything to do with up-converting.)

I've never seen this problem playing these discs in any of my other players, which range from a Panny XP50 to a $30 drugstore cheapie. However, these recordings do sometimes exhibit very odd behavior if you try to work with them on a computer (e.g. re-encoding the VOBs or just re-muxing them to make a new disc compilation.) I've always assumed that this has something to do with the fact that these discs are all recorded as 30fps video even though the source material in the HD broadcast is usually 24fps film. (or maybe it's just some proprietary oddity in how the Panasonic stand-alone recorders do their job.)

As I said, this is more a curiosity than a serious problem, since the cause is easy to avoid and the work-around is simple. I'm just wondering if any other Oppo owners have seen anything similar.
post #2269 of 6369 Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

also is there a max-bitrate for XVIX/DIVX

just encoded a film split into 2 XVIDs each 1.4 gig .. and in 2 places on the first one - the sound breaks up - does it in the same place each time - is fine on the PC

I'm playing via USB2 4500rp protable hdd drive - is this not quick enough - or limitaion of the player ?

thanks, Mark.

The Oppo is limited to resolutions up to 720x480. That's most likely the problem here.
post #2270 of 6369 Old 12-02-2007, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had my OPPO '980 DVD player for over 2 months now. I really do like the way DVDs look and sound w/ this player. However, I've noticed a weird bug. If the DVD player has no disc in it, when I turn it on with the remote control and then walk up to the player to press Eject, nothing happens. I have to turn the player off (which I do from the player), then either turn it on and press Eject or just press Eject. Then the tray opens and I can put the DVD in the player. Has anyone else noticed this? Everything else seems to work as advertised w/ this player.

I wonder if the $100 HD DVD players have eaten into OPPO's sales. Recommending this player for $170 to someone on a budget is difficult when the Toshiba HD DVD player is available for a C note. Correct me if I'm wrong that the Toshiba supports all the red laser formats the OPPO does except for playing SACDs.

Procrastination is the thief of time.
-- Edward Young

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

You shouldn't mix meditation with management.
The mind gets too empty.

-- Scott Adams, "Dilbert"
post #2271 of 6369 Old 12-03-2007, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post

I wonder if the $100 HD DVD players have eaten into OPPO's sales. Recommending this player for $170 to someone on a budget is difficult when the Toshiba HD DVD player is available for a C note. Correct me if I'm wrong that the Toshiba supports all the red laser formats the OPPO does except for playing SACDs.

I am sure the inexpensive HD DVD players have been a problem for Oppo and other DVD player manufacturers. Of course the Oppo players do a lot more than play DVD-V and CD so there is still a market for the Oppo players but for the segment of the market that wants only region 1 DVD-V, CD and HD DVD, I sure couldn't recommend an Oppo. The inexpensive HD DVD players haven't been big sellers but are certainly selling better at the crazy low prices and I expect a significant share are being used for DVD-V primarily. Owning an HD DVD player, 2 Blu-ray players and the Oppo DV-980H, in my opinion, the Oppo is worth the price for all it does in addition to DVD-V.

Chris
post #2272 of 6369 Old 12-03-2007, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree. In my opinion, the Oppo performs every bit as well as the Toshiba upscaling, and living with a Toshiba isn't much fun! The slow boot up, and the long wait until the drawer finally opens is annoying. For the occasional high def disc, it's worth the new pricing available, but not as a substitute for the Oppo...as an additional player. Enjoy the Oppo with its DVD-A and SACD playback options!
post #2273 of 6369 Old 12-03-2007, 09:05 AM

FYI, got it working again, I think, by disconnecting power for a couple hours and reflashing it. I 'think' it's working. I'll check again tonight.

I might change discs 1-2 times a day. Little to no ff/fr/chapter change, etc. Typical home usage, if not less than typical. No one but myself and my wife can get into the cabinet. It's locked so my two year old can't touch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avio View Post

- Did the players play 24/7?
- How often did you change discs?
- How much play back control; constant FF, FR, change chapters/tracks?
- Would you describe your usage as "typical home use" or "heavy studio use" ?
- Were there multiple users of the players, possibly including unsupervised children?
- Environment? Hot? Cold? Dirty? Humid?

Avio

post #2274 of 6369 Old 12-03-2007, 09:10 AM

Unless the web info was wrong or you listed your model number wrong, it only projects at 600x800. So there's no point in the upconversion.

Quote:

post #2275 of 6369 Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FYI, got it working again, I think, by disconnecting power for a couple hours and reflashing it. I 'think' it's working. I'll check again tonight. ...

Glad to hear it's working again... hope it stays that way.

Good luck. Avio
post #2276 of 6369 Old 12-03-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:

No one but myself and my wife can get into the cabinet. It's locked so my two year old can't touch it.

I gotta ask. If your cabinet is locked, that implies it's enclosed somehow. How hot does it get in there?
post #2277 of 6369 Old 12-03-2007, 10:40 AM

I've not tested it. The first DVD player that died did so after about 1 year. The second after less than a month. Since then I've opened up the entire back of the cabinet so there's lot of room to breathe. I've also segregated my 360 so it doesn't dump heat into the same area as the rest of the gear. Basically: receiver has it's own area, 360 has it's own area, power conditioner has it's own area, and my CD player, DVD player, and TiVo share a space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseGoth View Post

I gotta ask. If your cabinet is locked, that implies it's enclosed somehow. How hot does it get in there?

post #2278 of 6369 Old 12-03-2007, 01:02 PM

Well, I just bought this optical cable and it won't fit into the Oppo. Anyone know why?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #2279 of 6369 Old 12-03-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

My best guess? Take the plastic dust cover off the end of the connector?

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #2280 of 6369 Old 12-03-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Also make sure you have it "turned/alligned" correctly with the input terminal. Some of the "corners/edges" of the connector are rounded and some may have square edges. Pretend as if you are puting a puzzle together... it has to fit just right.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page