OPPO Digital Presents: DV-980H (1080p, SACD DSD, 7.1 Surround, USB 2.0) - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 6369 Old 12-07-2007, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

A quick search for pal showed lots of mentions about the difference between the 981 and980 regarding PAL playback, but I couldn't find any specifics alas.

Basically the DV-980H will likely show more aliasing and interlacing errors than the OPDV971H due to the Faroudja chipset support proper 2:2 Cadence.

Rumor is that OPPO is working on a full fledge 2:2 Cadence for the DV-980H (one that actually works proper, unlike the current PAL firmware), but we won't have confirmation until around Christmas time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 6369 Old 12-07-2007, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSB View Post

movie_fan, is the "ALT RC" setting enabled in the 980H menu? If so, turn it off and see if that helps.

Gary

GSB,

my 980 doesn't have that option. My 981 does, though.
post #2343 of 6369 Old 12-07-2007, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Basically the DV-980H will likely show more aliasing and interlacing errors than the OPDV971H due to the Faroudja chipset support proper 2:2 Cadence.

Rumor is that OPPO is working on a full fledge 2:2 Cadence for the DV-980H (one that actually works proper, unlike the current PAL firmware), but we won't have confirmation until around Christmas time.

Oooo, Neuromancer treating us with some holiday goodies. What other "rumers" do you have to share?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #2344 of 6369 Old 12-07-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

you have -50- dualdiscs? That's like 90% of the format...

The 971 will do the DVD-layer fine, it barfs royally however with the MLP/DVD-A layer. Meanwhile, my 5-disc Sony ES SACD player won't play the 2ch CD layer.

Stupid format wars. Bless those that realized that a 2 disc set (cd/dvd-a) was the way to go...

Ha, ya Bjork has a box set with 7, CD/DVD-V and The Talking heads 8, CD/DVD-A. I don't know the total but surely well over 100 were released.

Chris
post #2345 of 6369 Old 12-07-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie_fan View Post

my 980 doesn't have that option. My 981 does, though.

Check again. All of the DVD players now support Alt RC under General Setup.
post #2346 of 6369 Old 12-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie_fan View Post

... my 980 doesn't have that option. My 981 does, though.

Quote:

Check again. All of the DVD players now support Alt RC under General Setup.

movie_fan is from PORTUGAL.

Maybe he/she owns the Euro 980 and his Euro firmware does not have this feature... just wondering.

Avio
post #2347 of 6369 Old 12-07-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

Ha, ya Bjork has a box set with 7, CD/DVD-V and The Talking heads 8, CD/DVD-A. I don't know the total but surely well over 100 were released.

Chris

Well, I was counting those as two, not 15, but your point is taken. Still, I'd have a hard time naming more (certainly Brick is my only DD set with DVD-A on the non-CD side. It's so good, however, that it's worth buying a player for...)

Well, I'm certainly leaning towards this player for my needs - DVD-A/DivX/Pal/Multiregion, four things I don't expect a High-def player to do anytime soon...

Now I've got to figure out if my Kuro Elite can accept the native Pal signal so I don't need to care about 2:2...

post #2348 of 6369 Old 12-07-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Must have been written by Sony. Everything they do is superior

- Rich

I firmly believe that ALL Sony products are designed to fail prematurely (every one I've ever owned has done so!). I don't believe a word that comes out of that company.

My personal list of failed Sony products exceeds 12 at this point. One portable CD player and one 400 CD changer are hanging in at this point, but I ain't holding my breath.

R
post #2349 of 6369 Old 12-09-2007, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Somebody earlier mentioned they were having problems getting the DSD to work. It turns out that the unit has to be set for 1080p (maybe 1080i will work too) in order for the DSD to work. You also have to put a SACD in the machine and set it to bitstream output in the set up menu for the first SACD play (the SACD option menu is greyed out until you put a SACD disc in).
post #2350 of 6369 Old 12-09-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

Somebody earlier mentioned they were having problems getting the DSD to work. It turns out that the unit has to be set for 1080p (maybe 1080i will work too) in order for the DSD to work. You also have to put a SACD in the machine and set it to bitstream output in the set up menu for the first SACD play (the SACD option menu is greyed out until you put a SACD disc in).

You can use any res setting from 720p and up.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #2351 of 6369 Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post

The SACD/DVD-A superiority argument is an incredibly slippery slope into a rat hole. And is being discussed ad nauseum over on the Surround Forum. Net/net for me: both have incredible potential, and my collection is full of gems from both sides of the format wars. Here's hoping some of the boutique hirez labels glom onto TrueHD or DTS HD-MA and give us 8 channels of 24/192!!! :>)

Neither is audibly superior to CD for two-channel audio, unless you are listening at deafening levels.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...hp/t57406.html

Quote:

"Audibility of a CD-Standard A/D/A Loop Inserted into High-Resolution Audio Playback". E. Brad Meyer and David R. Moran. JAES 55(9) September 2007.

Claims both published and anecdotal are regularly made for audibly superior sound quality for two-channel audio encoded with longer word lengths and/or at higher sampling rates than the 16-bit/44.1-kHz CD standard. The authors report on a series of double-blind tests comparing the analog output of high-resolution players playing high-resolution recordings with the same signal passed through a 16-bit/44.1-kHz "bottleneck." The tests were conducted for over a year using different systems and a variety of subjects. The systems included expensive professional monitors and one high-end system with electrostatic loudspeakers and expensive components and cables. The subjects included professional recording engineers, students in a university recording program, and dedicated audiophiles. The test results show that the CD-quality A/D/A loop was undetectable at normal-to-loud listening levels, by any of the subjects, on any of the playback systems. The noise of the CD-quality loop was audible only at very elevated levels.

Claims to the contrary --like on this thread -- never seem to take into account the possibility of different mastering or different playback device settings; instead audiophiles tend to believe first, that whatever 'improvement' they heard over CD must be real ('it's high def!"), and second it must be due to the formats.
post #2352 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

Claims to the contrary --like on this thread -- never seem to take into account the possibility of different mastering or different playback device settings; instead audiophiles tend to believe first, that whatever 'improvement' they heard over CD must be real ('it's high def!"), and second it must be due to the formats.

Krabapple,
Please don't roll your eyes or put down those of us who have posted about SACD and DVD-A. If you don't like the Oppo's hirez sound then let us know here, but this seems like this is just to incite some sort of debate about even the validity of hirez (belongs, worst case, in the surround forums). Sorry your not hearing the wonders of hirez. Now back to the Oppo.

My 885 arrives tomorrow and I will put the Oppo through it's paces for both 2 channel (analog to Modwright stereo pre) and mch (HDMI) to see how it fares vs the hi-end Modwright tube rectified tube analog Denon 3910. Shouldn't be a fair fight, but many have said it will respect the Oppo name in the brawl.

"We're all bozos on this bus" - F.T.

post #2353 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

I finally hooked mine up after 2 months of owernship (was remodling my basement) and I couldn't be more happy. I've still got tweeking to do. I've not had an chance to listen to SACD or DVD-A yet but I've purchased several and plan to enjoy Jeff Waynes "War of the Worlds" tonight.

So the consenus is to put the downmix to 5.1 and the output to PCM (over HDMI) for my Yamaha RX-V1600 (HDMI 1.1)?

Please comment on my home theater and bedroom theater projects!
post #2354 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post

Krabapple,
Please don't roll your eyes or put down those of us who have posted about SACD and DVD-A. If you don't like the Oppo's hirez sound then let us know here, but this seems like this is just to incite some sort of debate about even the validity of hirez (belongs, worst case, in the surround forums). Sorry your not hearing the wonders of hirez. Now back to the Oppo.

My 885 arrives tomorrow and I will put the Oppo through it's paces for both 2 channel (analog to Modwright stereo pre) and mch (HDMI) to see how it fares vs the hi-end Modwright tube rectified tube analog Denon 3910. Shouldn't be a fair fight, but many have said it will respect the Oppo name in the brawl.

Congratulations!
When you get your 885, try both COAX and HDMI for CD audio. See what you think. I think you may be surprised

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #2355 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post

I finally hooked mine up after 2 months of owernship (was remodling my basement) and I couldn't be more happy. I've still got tweeking to do. I've not had an chance to listen to SACD or DVD-A yet but I've purchased several and plan to enjoy Jeff Waynes "War of the Worlds" tonight.

So the consenus is to put the downmix to 5.1 and the output to PCM (over HDMI) for my Yamaha RX-V1600 (HDMI 1.1)?

I do not agree. I have to set the downmix to LT/RT to get it to work consistently with my 885 and DVD-Audio. Yes, I read the manual and exchanged support emails with Oppo but I do what works

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #2356 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Has anyone done any A/B comparisons with the 980 against the Sony 77 at 1080p? I know they share the same chipset, but have heard different opinions on whether the PQ is the same.

post #2357 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post

That's what I'd recommend. Also, be sure that you've set the resolution to at least 720p.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #2358 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Very happy, using mine strictly as an SACD player.

I have a problem, if i play an SACD and eject it, the next disc will play but there will be no sound out. Turning it off and restarting resolves the problem. This tends to happen more if display is off.

Any ideas, is my unit defective?
post #2359 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ensure that your receiver is not set to HDMI Off or Passthrough. There could also be a handshaking error which is causing the receiver to turn Off the audio when the display has been turned off.
post #2360 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

...well, picked up my 980 from the trusted kids at Only Best Rated, they're selling the unit for the same as US retail up here, very classy guys and they'e been very helpful in the past...

Couple things of note:

- Haven't even bothered checking FW version, but out of the box the thing is playing the DualDisc DVD-Audio tracks with nary a hiccup... Listening to "Burning down the House" as I type, running through 5.1 analogue, and it sounds lovely... Thanks to those above that tested it ahead of time for me!

- I had forgotten the little details that this company-that-could does for their units. While it arrives in a plain cardboard box (better for the environment, worse aesthetically than a colour box), the shrowd-like extra wrapping (worse for the environment, but gaining on aesthetics) make it seem like a precious piece of equipment, and is a touch I had forgotten from my 971

- I love that they're doing FW updates over USB - this isn't new for you guys, but this makes me very happy. Throw on ethernet next models, boys, just for the hell of it!

considering this is the low-end player and technically a step down from my 971 in terms of scaling, I couldn't be happier (running it in 480i to my Kuro).

thanks yet again, off to play with my new toy....

post #2361 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

How do you figure it's a step down from the 970? It no longer has the vertical squeeze issue of the 970, so it looks like a step up to me!
post #2362 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

- Haven't even bothered checking FW version, but out of the box the thing is playing the DualDisc DVD-Audio tracks with nary a hiccup... Listening to "Burning down the House" as I type, running through 5.1 analogue, and it sounds lovely... Thanks to those above that tested it ahead of time for me!

Glad to hear that that DualDisc DVD-Audio discs are no longer causing you headaches.
post #2363 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggymama View Post

How do you figure it's a step down from the 970? It no longer has the vertical squeeze issue of the 970, so it looks like a step up to me!

971, not 970. The old skool DVI model that got Oppo on the map for many of us...

post #2364 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad to hear that that DualDisc DVD-Audio discs are no longer causing you headaches.

thanks, you've certainly read enough of my ramblings on the subject....

couple fun things:

- I hadn't read it earlier, but I find it somewhat amusing that if you set HDMI SACD playback to DSD, even if HDMI audio is off audio won't play through the analogue outputs.
- I've noticed a bit of noise on SACD playback with track changes - not sure if it's just losing synch for a moment, but the track transitions aren't on first listen as clean as they should be audiowise
- pleased to see 480i>HDMI work without hassle, and PAL playback passingthrough at 576i to my Kuro without incident
- one very positive thing: there's a mastering quirk on the Queen:Night at the Opera DVD-A that resulted in a small pause (track seeking?) between tracks 1 to 2 and tracks 2 to 3. On my RP-82, Oppo '71 and BD10 there was a noticeable pause between these tracks that normally flow into one another. The only player I ever heard get it right on the MLP layer was a Pio hybrid unit.

Happy to say that while there's a (much smaller) pause between the first two tracks, the track 2-3 transition now seems pretty much perfect.

Consider this fodder for the DVD-Audio fans that may search for this in years to come...

post #2365 of 6369 Old 12-10-2007, 09:00 PM

Hi to all,

today I sent away for my 980 and cant wait to it arrives.
I live in Australia and will probably(hopefully)get it before Christmas.
This will probably be my last standard def dvd player(if the 983 does not offer some more advanced features other than ABT's chipset,I have a VP50) that I will purchase
and can tell I will be happy with it as I have constantly read this thread.

Can anyone give me a timeframe for its arrival?

I tried to purchase from the Aussie distributor but they had none in stock and did state that they were waiting for the 983 to arrive shortly and would not be ordering any more 980's until shipment of the 983
post #2366 of 6369 Old 12-11-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I think you should report it. I've seen 4:3 titles with Wide/Auto on the 980.

Give them the details of the disc. There might be some interaction with the title. Animation is known for weird cadences that can hurt deinterlacing performance.

-Bill

Any updates on this issue? I was watching "Family Guy" last night and I was like "what the hell". Lines are visible when talking or moving. If I stop then play the DVD,it goes back to normal but starts up again in time. The same issues were shown in Transformers series. The animation shows are in 4:3 and I use wide/auto over HDMI,1080i display. But with the "Columbo" series(in 4:3), I have no issues. Just the usual out of sync audio at the beginning of the disk(which I've already reported).

Willy

Love Life! Z scale, Lego, Kids and The Wife!
post #2367 of 6369 Old 12-11-2007, 07:34 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willypinhead View Post

Any updates on this issue? I was watching "Family Guy" last night and I was like "what the hell". Lines are visible when talking or moving. If I stop then play the DVD,it goes back to normal but starts up again in time. The same issues were shown in Transformers series. The animation shows are in 4:3 and I use wide/auto over HDMI,1080i display. But with the "Columbo" series(in 4:3), I have no issues. Just the usual out of sync audio at the beginning of the disk(which I've already reported).

Willy

You're seeing deinterlacing artefacts on animation? Did you give Oppo the specifics? I have read that animation can be difficult because of different cadences used. There may be some content the 980 won't handle well.

-Bill
post #2368 of 6369 Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 AM

So, today was arrived my Oppo 980. Really great player. what a design, what a picture quality! Superb!
But I have little problem with DVD audio discs. I was choose from menu DVD Audio and was connected optical cable with my 5,1 receiver. But from optical comes only stereo. When I choose from menu under DVD audio settings DVD video all is ok- 5.1 coming.
What might be a problem? I think that this is some settings issue.
post #2369 of 6369 Old 12-11-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny16 View Post

So, today was arrived my Oppo 980. Really great player. what a design, what a picture quality! Superb!
But I have little problem with DVD audio discs. I was choose from menu DVD Audio and was connected optical cable with my 5,1 receiver. But from optical comes only stereo. When I choose from menu under DVD audio settings DVD video all is ok- 5.1 coming.
What might be a problem? I think that this is some settings issue.

You need to understand high resolution sources. DVD-Audio and SACD are NOT capable of being transmitted via coax or optical (as has been stated on this forum numerous times; for better and more detailed explanations, do a search in the surround forum). They both are carried via proprietary streams (lossless compressed MLP for DVD-A, DSD for SACD). They can be listened to via HDMI (PCM and/or DSD processing in an HDMI 1.3 capable processor) or via the good old analog outs. The only decent signal that passes out the coax/optical is the very occassional 24/96 2 channel PCM track (if available on few DVD-A's). Of course any lossy formats like DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 are available via coax/optical, but that's not DVD-A or SACD info.

"We're all bozos on this bus" - F.T.

post #2370 of 6369 Old 12-11-2007, 09:29 AM

Hello,

I like this player very much.
The only thing missing from the carton is cotton gloves.

I looking at purchasing a DVD recorder.
Want to make sure DVD Ram's will play back in my Oppo.
Oppo says they will not and the manual confirms this.

But,

I make all my recordings on Dual Layer Disks bit setting to Ram.
All these disks play back perfectly on the Oppo.
Can someone explain this?
Is this any different than using a DVD Ram disk?

Thank you,

Mr.Panda
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page