Best Upconverting DVD player also used as a CD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-04-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
creggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to pick up an upconverting DVD player that will also be used as a high qualty audio CD player. I currently have a Denon dvd-3910, any suggestions ?

a lotta in's, a lotta out's, a lotta what-have-you's
creggers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 08-04-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggers View Post

Looking to pick up an upconverting DVD player that will also be used as a high qualty audio CD player. I currently have a Denon dvd-3910, any suggestions ?

Per HT guys mini review of the new Oppo 980H:
"We actually pulled out CDs and listened to music. We found that over our HDMI cable the music sounded cleaner, tighter, and more lively. We did a side by side comparison with our AAC and mp3 files, and let us tell you, it blew our high bit rate AACs out of the water. If you like audio you need to consider this device."

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is online now  
post #3 of 17 Old 08-04-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggers View Post

Looking to pick up an upconverting DVD player that will also be used as a high qualty audio CD player. I currently have a Denon dvd-3910, any suggestions ?

Well, the 3910 is a great player for what you want, so why are you getting rid of it? The Oppo mentioned above is not a step up for either PQ or audio. A step up would be the 3930 (for PQ) or 5910 (for audio). Arcam and Marantz and Onkyo SP1000 are well thought of as well. But again, the 3910 is tough to beat.
BillP is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 08-04-2007, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PLincoln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
keep the 3910...it's still one of the best players out there.
PLincoln is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 08-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Member
 
woofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SwiftsCreek, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggers View Post

Looking to pick up an upconverting DVD player that will also be used as a high qualty audio CD player. I currently have a Denon dvd-3910, any suggestions ?


I previously had the Denon 3930, i returned it and got the Marantz DV9600...CD,s sound superb in the 9600..much bettter than the 3930.
woofer is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 08-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Evan_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm surprised. I can understand the DVD player makes a difference with compressed ACC and MPS3 files, but audio CDs are uncompressed digital audio. I would have expected any DVD player to pass the raw digital data to amplifier. Was it resampling the data from 44KHz to 48kHz? That would muddy the sound.
Evan_H is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 08-04-2007, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PLincoln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_H View Post

I'm surprised. I can understand the DVD player makes a difference with compressed ACC and MPS3 files, but audio CDs are uncompressed digital audio. I would have expected any DVD player to pass the raw digital data to amplifier. Was it resampling the data from 44KHz to 48kHz? That would muddy the sound.

i'm assuming he was using the analog outputs to take advantage of the burr-brown dacs, not the digital outputs.
PLincoln is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 08-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Member
 
woofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SwiftsCreek, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLincoln View Post

i'm assuming he was using the analog outputs to take advantage of the burr-brown dacs, not the digital outputs.

I am using the analog outs to 4 Denon POA S10 Monblocks ( Bi-Amped) ...
My usual stand alone CD player is a Sony XA7ES, the Marantz seems to project a more forward soundstage without sounding harsh, i actually prefer it to my Sony.
woofer is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 08-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Member
 
scanspeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using a Marantz DV9600. Nice sound, but still doesnt quite match by 10 year old Sony XA5ES CD player. Separates are still the best choice if you're fussy about 2 channel.
scanspeak is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 08-04-2007, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Well, the 3910 is a great player for what you want, so why are you getting rid of it? The Oppo mentioned above is not a step up for either PQ or audio. A step up would be the 3930 (for PQ) or 5910 (for audio). Arcam and Marantz and Onkyo SP1000 are well thought of as well. But again, the 3910 is tough to beat.

Touche Bill. When creggors said he had a Denon 3910 and was simply looking for "upconverting DVD player that will also be used as a high qualty audio CD player", I was thinking much more modestly, sorry.

Gee perhaps I should have been discussing the Meridian 800 version 4 DVD/CD player.

I do however think the Denon 3930 is what I would buy in this instance as it offers some improvement over the older Denon 3910.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is online now  
post #11 of 17 Old 08-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Member
 
indelibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That review from HT guys seems a bit suspect. I can't understand half the stuff he is saying in the poorly written part about the audio. And why would you listen to let alone review with compressed audio on the oppo?
indelibo is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 08-04-2007, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by indelibo View Post

That review from HT guys seems a bit suspect. I can't understand half the stuff he is saying in the poorly written part about the audio. And why would you listen to let alone review with compressed audio on the oppo?

I suspect these guys have prepared some custom audio recordings on CD's that are used as part of their testing methodology. One would hope they used the very highest bit rate possible if using lossy audio compression such AAC or MP3. I used to take certain CD's with me when auditioning new AV gear.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is online now  
post #13 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
creggers, nobody can provide you with any useful help unless you repost why you're looking to change from the 3910, and what exactly you're looking for, including price range and features. As already stated, you already a player that is great for what you want. Of course another option is HD-DVD or BD, although you give up SACD and DVD-A with most of them.
BillP is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
creggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really, Is this really the best way to connect this ? I would assume the dacs in the processor (I have a Integra Research rdc-7) would be better connected with a digital connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post

I am using the analog outs to 4 Denon POA S10 Monblocks ( Bi-Amped) ...
My usual stand alone CD player is a Sony XA7ES, the Marantz seems to project a more forward soundstage without sounding harsh, i actually prefer it to my Sony.


a lotta in's, a lotta out's, a lotta what-have-you's
creggers is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggers View Post

Really, Is this really the best way to connect this ? I would assume the dacs in the processor (I have a Integra Research rdc-7) would be better connected with a digital connection.

You don't get SACD or DVD-A with a digital connection, and the audio DACs are great in the 3910.
BillP is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Per HT guys mini review of the new Oppo 980H:
"We actually pulled out CDs and listened to music. We found that over our HDMI cable the music sounded cleaner, tighter, and more lively. We did a side by side comparison with our AAC and mp3 files, and let us tell you, it blew our high bit rate AACs out of the water. If you like audio you need to consider this device."

With HDMI output, the player isn't "playing" anything. Hopefully CDs would sound better than compressed files when set to a decent processor (DAC).

And, creggers, the 980 will send all digital music bitstreams to an external processor via HDMI - PCM for everything except SACD, which is DSD. Or you can have it do D/A.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 08-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Newbie
 
all bundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys is there any hack for samsung hd-870 to upconvert through component cable. my tv has only component inputs but not hdmi or dvi

thanx
all bundy is offline  
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off