Hi-end or low-end DVD player?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My old once-upon-a-time high-end Sony DVD player committed suicide, so I need a new one. Is it worth investing in a high-end Marantz or Denon DVD player with a Faroudja chip, whereas I could get an upconverting HDMI player like Philips or Pioneer for 100-150 USD? Should I expect any difference in picture quality , especially in fast moving scenes?

Urgent replies will be much appreciated.

Regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-06-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy View Post

My old once-upon-a-time high-end Sony DVD player committed suicide, so I need a new one. Is it worth investing in a high-end Marantz or Denon DVD player with a Faroudja chip, whereas I could get an upconverting HDMI player like Philips or Pioneer for 100-150 USD? Should I expect any difference in picture quality , especially in fast moving scenes?

Regards.

Whats your model number of the high-end sony DVD player? Also what would this be interfaced to? (display/monitor type?) Before we recommend a good replacement we need this information?

Oppo Beta Group
post #3 of 12 Old 08-06-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
First, the high end Denons don't use Faroudja anymore, and yes, IMO, the 2930 and 3930 outperform the inexpensive players for both PQ and audio. But, your best bet today is to go high def (HD-DVD and/or BD) for the best PQ.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-08-2007, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

my old dvd player used to be a SONY DVP 7700.....Although the picture quality was satisfactory, it was very selective, just rejected copied and/or scratched DVD's and VCD's. Then decided to die....

My display devices are a SONY 40 " LCD tv, and a Mitsubishi DLP projector (HD-1000) both fed from the same source simultaneously. I use an HDMI connection for the LCD tv and a nice component cable for the projector. Just recently I purchased an up-converting Toshiba DVD player (SD360), but hated it. Fast moving scenes were just unbearable both on the TV as well as the projector, so its not a display or connection problem. Scenes were jittery, and not "flowing" but moving in steps!!! I don't know how to explain it exactly, but very disturbing..

So now I am considering a Denon 1930 or 2930 or Marantz 6001/7001. Would appreciate any suggestions...

Regards
post #5 of 12 Old 08-08-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

my old dvd player used to be a SONY DVP 7700.....Although the picture quality was satisfactory, it was very selective, just rejected copied and/or scratched DVD's and VCD's. Then decided to die....

My display devices are a SONY 40 " LCD tv, and a Mitsubishi DLP projector (HD-1000) both fed from the same source simultaneously. I use an HDMI connection for the LCD tv and a nice component cable for the projector. Just recently I purchased an up-converting Toshiba DVD player (SD360), but hated it. Fast moving scenes were just unbearable both on the TV as well as the projector, so its not a display or connection problem. Scenes were jittery, and not "flowing" but moving in steps!!! I don't know how to explain it exactly, but very disturbing..

So now I am considering a Denon 1930 or 2930 or Marantz 6001/7001. Would appreciate any suggestions...

Regards

Try the $850 Denon 2930ci (Progressive scan featuring Realta REON VX-50 HQV by Teranex) or even better for audio capabilities the advanced $1499 Denon 3930ci (Realta T2 HQV chip by Teranex + Advanced AL24 processing).

Oppo Beta Group
post #6 of 12 Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Try the $850 Denon 2930ci (Progressive scan featuring Realta REON VX-50 HQV by Teranex) or even better for audio capabilities the advanced $1499 Denon 3930ci (Realta T2 HQV chip by Teranex + Advanced AL24 processing).

Thanks. Due to price considerations (over here the 2930 goes for 1200 Euros, about USD 1644, twice the price in the US) I am inclined toward the 1930, but not sure yet.

Once I get either one, should I let the DVD players D/A converters to the job or should I connect it digitally to my Denon AVR 3300 and let it handle the sound?

Regards,
post #7 of 12 Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Due to price considerations (over here the 2930 goes for 1200 Euros, about USD 1644, twice the price in the US) I am inclined toward the 1930, but not sure yet.

Once I get either one, should I let the DVD players D/A converters to the job or should I connect it digitally to my Denon AVR 3300 and let it handle the sound?

Regards,

I would connect it digitally to the Denon AVR 3300 (thats a great receiver). The Denon 1930 might be more in line with your price range but is uses an Faroudja video chip so you will have to some potential macroblocking with your DLP display, but not your LED. Both the Marantz 6001 and 7001 is also Faroudja based also.

Oppo Beta Group
post #8 of 12 Old 08-09-2007, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

I would connect it digitally to the Denon AVR 3300 (thats a great receiver). The Denon 1930 might be more in line with your price range but is uses an Faroudja video chip so you will have to some potential macroblocking with your DLP display, but not your LED. Both the Marantz 6001 and 7001 is also Faroudja based also.

Ok. I guess I 'll try the 1930 first and see if I get some macroblocking. If so then I would change it with 2930.

Thanks again.

Regards,
post #9 of 12 Old 08-09-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Regards.

I've been very pleased with the Oppo 981-HD. It's priced much lower than high end and about twice what you listed as your low-end range. The Oppo's 1080p upconversion looks great.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicj11 View Post

I've been very pleased with the Oppo 981-HD. It's priced much lower than high end and about twice what you listed as your low-end range. The Oppo's 1080p upconversion looks great.

I had considered Oppo, but unfortunately they are not sold on this side of the pond. I could buy it on a US based web store, but lately they stopped accepting international credit cards for security reasons, and shipping internationally adds quite a bit to the price....Thanks anyway.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-10-2007, 05:42 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

First, the high end Denons don't use Faroudja anymore, and yes, IMO, the 2930 and 3930 outperform the inexpensive players for both PQ and audio. But, your best bet today is to go high def (HD-DVD and/or BD) for the best PQ.

Agree, second the recommendation to get an HD-DVD or BRD player.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-10-2007, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry to "butt in" to this thread, but does anyone have any input on using the Oppo 981's Faroudja chip for upscaling, vs. just feeding 480i via hdmi to a Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" plasma? I'm about to pull the trigger on a new sd player for the living room, and know that the Pio 5070 has a (well-documented) much better-than-average internal processor. Thus, I've received a couple recommendations to simply feed it raw 480i through hdmi (such as through the new Oppo 980) and let the panel do all scaling. Financially, a higher-end upscaling player is simply not an option, so I'm just trying to find resolution (no pun intended) as to which is superior between the 5070 or the 981's Faroudja. I'm just trying to get as much feedback as possible. Thanks a lot.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page