Liked: 10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-21-2007, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Besides excellent video, it has excellent audio also. I can easily see myself watching SD DVDs 5 years from now or more. Not every SD DVD will get redone in hi-def. We're still years away from hi-def DVDs catching up to SD DVDs wrt releases/content. There's no guarantee that hi-def DVDs won't die on the vine somewhere down the line. Hopefully not, but you never know.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2007, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I agree with Pooper Scooper. The audio is killer on the Denon 5910CI whether it be DVD-A, SACD or 2ch. I own the Denon 3930CI and love the picture and audio quality it puts out.

Cheers from the Great White North.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-22-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you have a high-end home theater system with Creston controls the Oppo won't fit in well.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-22-2007, 10:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
SGMD1, the reason to get a player like the 5910 is to use the player's audio DACs, not bypass them with digital outs. Also, the 5910 outperforms the Oppos for SD DVD PQ as well. I agree that there are diminishing returns as the price goes up to that amount, but for those who can afford a player like the 5910, it is second to none (and is a far better player than any Oppo for PQ, audio, and build quality).

Why even ask such a question? It may not be for you (or for me). But why disparage others who have gone that route? Denon has sold plenty of them, so clearly they do not think it overpriced.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think he is burning anyone for buying one; he's just asking what makes a $3000+ dvd player worth $3000.00. Just as about any product with various price/performance ranges, there are diminishing returns as the price goes up (just as Billp said). Look at cars... The price starts to sky rocket at the high end luxory segment and you may only gain marginally more power and features. The same can be said of computer processors. Buying the fastest chip of any brand will cost you mega bucks with only a 3-5% increase in speed.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post

Well OK I see the audio argument...but I'd imagine that most people who purchase DVD players like this most likely have a very good receiver as well.

Now let's say I have the Oppo 980H DVD player that costs me $170. It plays DVD-A, SACD, and has an HDMI output which will transfer the exact same digital audio track to the receiver as the Denon would, right?

If you're transmitting an unprocessed sound signal from the DVD to the receiver, how do the DVD player's audio processors matter? Of course if you have this player as a standalone I could see the benefit but again I highly doubt anyone who gets this player doesn't also use a very good receiver

People who buy players priced like the 5910 probably better preamps and amps than what's available in a receiver for serious audio listening. Receivers are a compromise to get a bunch of stuff in one box - not the ideal when trying to build upper end audio pieces.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #8 of 8 Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I did but returned it because it had issues with too many DVD-Rs.

I now own the DVD-3930CI instead, which is about 98% of the player the 5910CI is.

I also wouldn't allow a "receiver" anywhere near my speakers.

As far as digital audio goes, one of the benefits of the 3930CI and 5910CI is that they're exceptionally musical when SACD, DVD-A or Red Book audio CDs are played.

My surround processor is not the most open sounding in the world with music where it excels on film soundtracks, and to update it to one that sounds better would cost much more than a 3830CI or 5910CI connected using the 5.1 analog pass through on my surround processor.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page