Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2009, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom View Post

Did you go straight to YGD8827A, or did you install the multi-region version of YGD7925A, hold ENTER til shutoff, and then installed YGD8827A? If you changed your mind and want it multi-region, see post 521 about the player getting stuck.

Straight to YGD8827A. I mainly use the unit for the SACD/DVA capabilities. If I change my mind, I can always do the update and refer to your post for a trouble free install.

Thanks again.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Pioneer's players including the DV-58AV do not pass deep blacks via analog. Other players have what is called 'Black Level,' which can be set to off (0 IRE) or on (7.5 IRE). This would be a good thing to fix via firmware upgrade. I tried messing with the brightness, contrast, and gamma settings, and the problem didn't go away. I noticed that my only way around this was to turn down the brightness on my TV, which is a pain in the --- because that means I have to adjust my TV back and forth between watching DVDs and watching TV channels. Maybe my next player should be a Blu-ray player that does well with SDDVDs and passes deep blacks via analog.

For what it's worth, I noted that with laserdiscs going directly to my TV and through a DVDO Edge (both via S-video), the Edge had deeper blacks. I didn't change any TV settings for this result. Have you tried HDMI, or is that not a possible connection for you?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

For what it's worth, I noted that with laserdiscs going directly to my TV and through a DVDO Edge (both via S-video), the Edge had deeper blacks. I didn't change any TV settings for this result. Have you tried HDMI, or is that not a possible connection for you?

I have a 10-year-old Magnavox CRT with an RF modulator. Sorry! I feel so out-of-touch!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I have a 10-year-old Magnavox CRT with an RF modulator. Sorry! I feel so out-of-touch!

Don't worry about it. Most of my equipment is 15 - 16 years old, and I never owned a VCR.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ValjeanPhantom, your dv-58 came with firmware YGD7925A out of the box? Mine has YGD7906E. I plan on upgrading to YGD8827A soon. Have you noticed any differences in video performance with YGD8827A?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:38 AM

Has anybody in Europe tried the firmware update (to YGD8827A)?

Will updating the player void any previous region free fixes?

Mitch

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy
and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks
all those childhood traumas magically wiped away
along with most of your personality
Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasersnuser View Post

Has anybody in Europe tried the firmware update (to YGD8827A)?

Will updating the player void any previous region free fixes?

Mitch

If you follow the instructions in post 521 of this thread, no matter what firmware you install, your player will remain multi-region.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Another question I have. I am noticing with my dv-49av it passes 2 channel 24 bit, 192 khz audio bitstream to my SC-05 even though the manual says this is not possible. I have done this with multiple dvd-audios. Does the dv-48av do this as well? Also have any of you heard both the dv-48av and dv-58av through the hdmi outs and do they sound the same?

For example my BDP-05FD through the hdmi out has a very different sound than my dv-49av both going hdmi to my SC-05. The 2 channel analog outs and HDMI sound very similiar from the BDP-05 and when listening to multi layered sacd's I prefer the sound from the bluray player playing the cd layer compared to the dv-49 playing the sacd layer. Would the 58av offer an improvement in this regard. I thought initially since the signal was bitstreamed to the receiver it wouldn't matter, but this can't be the case as my BDP-05 sounds different to my 49av all bitstreamed HDMI to the receiver.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello all,
I picked up a Dv58av to replace 2 DVD players, the Pioneer Elite dv47a and a Denon dvd2200. I use these players as SACD/DVD AUDIO players. I also spin cd's. I rarely use them for video as I have a HD DVD player and a Blu Ray Player.

So I have been wanting a player that can pass everything over HDMI which this player does. Cool. But right now I'm still using Analog out and I noticed something about it, you can't adjust the output levels. If you can ,how do you do it? I can set it to large and small but It doesn't seem to be able to generate a test tone signal so I can level the outputs??????

For 2 channel listening with cd, it performs very close to my Elite Dv47a, maybe a tid better but not really. It's so damn close. Both Pioneer Player outperform the Denon dvd 2200 I had. But it's audio quality was very good 2. With out the Pioneer players, I was happy with the Denon. I liked it's build quality 2.

The Dv58av has good video quality and better then both other player. Again this doesn't mean much to me but once in awhile I'll spin a DVD in it and watch something. Why not go retro(LOL). I watched Gladiator lastnight and If my memory serves me well, this is a audio dream movie. On a side note is it out on Blu ray? If so I'm picking it up. But back on track the video quality I noticed to have a nice clear smooth quality about it. At times I felt it looked almost as good as Blu ray. Closer then the other 2 players . It's wired up in Component video at 1080i. I use Audioquest cables. I have not tried HDMI but I will once I upgrade my display to the Elite 151fd 60 inch.

I also got this player as I'm picking up a Pioneer Sc07 to use a preamp until I switch speakers, then I will use the internal amps(going from 4 ohm to 8 ohm speakers). I'm excited to try everything over HDMI.

Has anyone used this player fully over HDMI? What about Analog? Can someone post there opinions or concerns? I treid to read this thread but there are so many posts I was hoping someone could give me a summery.

Thanks everyone,

Dan
Old 02-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hi everyone. I recently got into SACD and DVD audio discs and I'm looking for a good universal player that will send DSD out over HDMI, but also act as a decent dvd video player.

Is the 58av still the top choice? I have an onkyo 905 receiver that supports 2.0 or 5.1 DSD via HDMI. I have tried the onkyo DV-SP506 and it works great, but seems to have a problem with one of my dvd video discs. When I put the movie Speed into the sp506, the unit has a noisy pulsating sound coming from it? Does the 58av have quieter operation and will my onkyo receiver say DSD when I'm in direct or pure audio mode like it does with the sp506? The Onkyo receiver seems to do a good job with DSD when using the sp506 player. And the 905 manual states that the DSD is ONLY converted to PCM when I don't use the direct or pure audio modes.

I just refuse to keep the Onkyo sp506 if it's going to be noisy. The 50khz 3dB cut off the manual talks about is also interesting. I thought the sp506 was bit streaming the DSD, so why would this matter?

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Also, anyone know of a dealer near Chicago or Naperville that still carries the 58av? I'd love to try it out before I exchange my DV-SP506.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
well I believe this player was intended to send SACD over HDMI only then they added the 5.1 outs. From what I found was you can set large or small speakers, sub or no sub, and the distance of all speakers , no distance for the sub.... ok I'm not all that cool with that unless it's deciding on the output measuring the distance. If all speakers output equal and are equal distance from the listening position, they yeah no adjustment is needed. If It figures out levels with the Distance , maybe it's close because I listened for awhile and It doesn't seem off. Ok until I get my Pioneer Elite sc07(currently running Rotel seperates) I'll live with it. I almost wanted to take it back and get something else but it's not that bad.
I watched another movie (Men in Black) and the video is better then both my other players. So when I want to watch a regular DVD, it's very nice.
Cd playback is also good over analog. I like the detail and clarity. I use all Audioquest Jaguar 36v IC's so it's pretty damn good.
Digital over coax yields exactly the same results for cd. The Rotel doesn't sound any different with any of the 3 player. Not that I can hear if there is anything.

So all in all this is a nice player. I have not tried DVD audio yet but I plan on some today. I'll probably Spin Queen.

Dan
Old 03-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

I was thinking about getting the queen dvd audio disc too. I have "riding with the king" with Eric Clapton and BB King; I have to say it sounds impressive in 5.1 pcm over HDMI using the onkyo dv-sp506.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

For owners can this thing play 24 bit 192khz 2 channel audio? The 49av can but I am thinking of upgrading.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

For owners can this thing play 24 bit 192khz 2 channel audio? The 49av can but I am thinking of upgrading.

Hi there, good to hear you own the 49av. I am trying to decide between the 58av and the 49av...

Does the 49av support 2 channel DSD over HDMI? The manual states that is supports multichannel DSD over HDMI, but says nothing about stereo DSD.

Also, can you pause and fast forward DVD audio and SACD tracks? I have no experience with pioneer players (only the onkyo 506s), so your answer would be very helpful to me :-)

Thanks

Old 03-04-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes it supports 2 channel no problem. You put the player to multichannel and if the sacd only supports 2 channel it goes there instead.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Again 58av owners does this player bitstream 2 channel, 24 bit 192 khz audio to a HDMI 1.2 or 1.3 receiver? The owners manual says it does not but so does the 49av and it does not downconvert the 192 khz audio to 96 khz.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:

Again 58av owners does this player bitstream 2 channel, 24 bit 192 khz audio to a HDMI 1.2 or 1.3 receiver? The owners manual says it does not but so does the 49av and it does not downconvert the 192 khz audio to 96 khz.

I just popped in David Gray: A New Day at Midnight DVDA and can confirm that the 192kHz stereo signal is passed via HDMI to my Denon AVR-3808.

Mitch

Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:

If you follow the instructions in post 521 of this thread, no matter what firmware you install, your player will remain multi-region.

So I did, and it worked perfectly!

It seems I am now rid of the problem with a 3 second cut-off in sound (via HDMI) when changing the soundtrack or resuming playback after a pause.

Furthermore, the player now plays an SACD I had trouble with before without any problems.

For me updating was absolutely worth the effort, and my sincere thanks to you for providing the recipe and to Hkan for providing the files!

Mitch

Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasersnuser View Post

So I did, and it worked perfectly!

It seems I am now rid of the problem with a 3 second cut-off in sound (via HDMI) when changing the soundtrack or resuming playback after a pause.

Furthermore, the player now plays an SACD I had trouble wit before without any problems.

For me updating was absolutely worth the effort, and my sincere thanks to you for providing the recipe and to Hkan for providing the files!

Mitch

When I bought the player, the first track of the multi-channle area would stop about three quarters of the way through it and jump to track two. It seems as though many MediaTek players have this problem. Oppo corrected it with a firmware upgrade. To my surprise, guess who also addressed this issue via firmware upgrade ... Pioneer! Now I can finally hear a 5.1 remix of 'The Power of Love' in its entirety! ... As well as play all my European DVDs from amazon.co.uk!
Old 03-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So I finally exchanged my onkyo dv-sp506 for the 58av. Wow! What a player. The L/R output jacks look like they are machined! Very well built unit.

With the Onkyo 506 player I could not pause/ff/rew dvd audio tracks, now I can! With the 506 I had no options for adjusting dvd video quality, but now I have many useful video options and dvd's look great on the player. I love the resolution options on the remote and the zoom features.

I can confirm on DVD audio disks: Sinatra at the Sands and Hotel California I am getting 2ch 192k/24 bit bitstreamed from the 58av to my Onkyo 905 (this is what the receiver display and the 58av both say). I can also confirm that it does send DSD multich and stereo over HDMI for my receiver to decode according to the receivers display.

DVD audio disks sound incredible bit-streamed using the 58av and sound as good as my HTPC's HDMI ASUS HDAV 1.3 soundcard that costs $249 (I use dvdaexplorer to back up/ decrypt all tracks to my hard drive so I can play them in foobar2000).

One initial problem was that the resolution came set to something my receiver didn't recognize, but it was easy to set the 58av to 1080p to fix.

The other issue with the 58av is I can't figure out to toggle multichannel/stereo DSD for SACD's using the remote. The front of the player has a handy button labeled SACD Setup to do this, but the remote doesn't?!? Anyone know the hex code for this feature?

Old 03-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

When I bought the player, the first track of the multi-channle area would stop about three quarters of the way through it and jump to track two. It seems as though many MediaTek players have this problem. Oppo corrected it with a firmware upgrade. To my surprise, guess who also addressed this issue via firmware upgrade ... Pioneer! Now I can finally hear a 5.1 remix of 'The Power of Love' in its entirety! ... As well as play all my European DVDs from amazon.co.uk!

Is this only on the Celine SACD? I have tried 3 multich SACD's and none of them do this. I do get a light sounding initial pop as the 58av switches the HDMI to DSD Multichannel. The Onkyo 506 player did this too, but was much louder. I don't get this pop when I pause/ff etc...

Old 03-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

I've been using the 58av for a week now. Overall, I'm very happy with it. I just have one small bug:

When I play any DVD (I've tried 4 so far), I get a white line about a pixel in height (stretches the length of the screen) at the bottom of the tv screen. I have the 58av set for 1080p. My Onkyo 905 should not being doing anything to the signal as I set HDMI to through and turned off immediate display (on screen 905 menus). My TV is a 46" samsung and says 1080p, 67Hz, 60Hz. I set the Samsung on "just scan" as I have always had it set on.

The white line only appears on the disc menus and movie previews. The movie picture is very nice and the line magically disappears once the movie starts?!? If I set the 58av to 1080i the line goes away altogether.

Any ideas on this? Should I try the firmware update? If so, where do I find the update? I called Pioneer and they say no update is available?!?

Quote:

I think a David Bowy(Sp?) has the same problem as the Celine Dion one did, but I don't own it. It's true that the DV-58AV has more video adjustments than the Onkyo DV-SP506. However, I do wish the DV-58AV passed video signals with a black level of 0 IRE. Its black level shift remains at 7.5 IRE, which causes blurriness in darker passages. In fact, this defect is inherent in all of the MediaTek MT1389-based Pioneer DVD players and HTiBs. I just sent them a letter via snalemail suggesting they release newer firmware which can pass video signals with a black level of 0 IRE. I hope they take my suggestion. If they do, then the DV-58AV could become one of the best video players as well!

Old 03-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

FYI: I just ordered the player two weeks ago from vanns.com. The manufacture date is Sept. 2007! I guess they don't sell too many 58av's?
Anyways my firmware is YGD7906E, R1, Subcon .34. Anyone having the same white line problem when using 1080p?

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

I've been using the 58av for a week now. Overall, I'm very happy with it. I just have one small bug:

When I play any DVD (I've tried 4 so far), I get a white line about a pixel in height (stretches the length of the screen) at the bottom of the tv screen. I have the 58av set for 1080p. My Onkyo 905 should not being doing anything to the signal as I set HDMI to through and turned off immediate display (on screen 905 menus). My TV is a 46" samsung and says 1080p, 67Hz, 60Hz. I set the Samsung on "just scan" as I have always had it set on.

The white line only appears on the disc menus and movie previews. The movie picture is very nice and the line magically disappears once the movie starts?!? If I set the 58av to 1080i the line goes away altogether.

Any ideas on this? Should I try the firmware update? If so, where do I find the update? I called Pioneer and they say no update is available?!?

Old 03-20-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:

FYI: I just ordered the player two weeks ago from vanns.com. The manufacture date is Sept. 2007! I guess they don't sell too many 58av's?
Anyways my firmware is YGD7906E, R1, Subcon .34. Anyone having the same white line problem when using 1080p?

Your firmware is as old as it can be for the DV-58AV. See my directions in post 521 for the firmware upgrade. If you are interested in multi-region capability, follow the instructions from the top. If not, feel free to skip ahead to the directions for installing YGD8827A. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for your post. It fixed the white line when I used the newer firmware; I went directly to 8827a.

One last issue with the 58av that has always been there:
When I play SACDs, the LFE seems 10dB too high. This occurs when I tell the Onkyo 905 receiver to set direct delay enable to off for DSD. The manual states that this setting bypasses the internal DSP. When I press direct in this mode, the Onkyo then shows DSD Direct. While the Onkyo 905 does allow for DSD LFE to be offset (as it does for truehd, dd, dts etc...), setting delay enable: off bypasses this feature. Anyone know if setting changing this to delay enable on means the DSD stream does not go from DSD to analog (ie not DSD to PCM to analog)? The manual only mentions that only is pureaudio or direct will the DSD not be converted...

Anyways, I suspect the 58av is raising the LFE level by 10dB when I send DSD over HDMI or use the analog outputs. Anyone else notice this too or am I crazy? Any chance there is a setting I'm missing on the 58av?

UPDATE: I have played more with the receiver. I can confirm that when I use analog multichannel inputs, the bass is 10dB too high also. On the onkyo, I have to adjust the LFE sensitivity for the analog channel up 10dB (there is a special setting that lets me select 0, 5, 10, 15dB. This doesn't change the main level of the subwoofer in speaker set up, but rather how bass is handled from the DVD player in multichannel analog. In the DSD Direct mode with the delay enable setting to off, I find there is no way to fix the bass except manually turn the sub down 10dB using the remote (ie changing the speaker level for the sub)! However, if I let the DSP do processing (ie leave DSD delay enable set to ON) it must automatically compensate for the 58av's LFE 10dB increase because you definitely cannot hear it. My receiver levels are calibrated using the audyssey mic, so I am confident that it is not the level setting in the receiver.

There seems to be a thread from 2006 talking about this issue on several receivers and DVD players: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=905 , but I really need to know if other 58av users have the same problem and if so which 58av firmware and receiver they are using. I think the issue is caused by the fact that DTS and DD LFE channels are recorded -10dB below the other channels, but with SACD, they are not. Thus, I think either the receiver or the player is boosting the signal. Since the analog output from the player has the same issue of +10dB for the LFE, I believe it's the player.

Quote:

Your firmware is as old as it can be for the DV-58AV. See my directions in post 521 for the firmware upgrade. If you are interested in multi-region capability, follow the instructions from the top. If not, feel free to skip ahead to the directions for installing YGD8827A. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your post. It fixed the white line when I used the newer firmware; I went directly to 8827a.

One last issue with the 58av that has always been there:
When I play SACDs, the LFE seems 10dB too high. This occurs when I tell the Onkyo 905 receiver to set direct delay enable to off for DSD. The manual states that this setting bypasses the internal DSP. When I press direct in this mode, the Onkyo then shows DSD Direct. While the Onkyo 905 does allow for DSD LFE to be offset (as it does for truehd, dd, dts etc...), setting delay enable: off bypasses this feature. Anyone know if setting changing this to delay enable on means the DSD stream does not go from DSD to analog (ie not DSD to PCM to analog)? The manual only mentions that only is pureaudio or direct will the DSD not be converted...

Anyways, I suspect the 58av is raising the LFE level by 10dB when I send DSD over HDMI or use the analog outputs. Anyone else notice this too or am I crazy? Any chance there is a setting I'm missing on the 58av?

UPDATE: I have played more with the receiver. I can confirm that when I use analog multichannel inputs, the bass is 10dB too high also. On the onkyo, I have to adjust the LFE sensitivity for the analog channel up 10dB (there is a special setting that lets me select 0, 5, 10, 15dB. This doesn't change the main level of the subwoofer in speaker set up, but rather how bass is handled from the DVD player in multichannel analog. In the DSD Direct mode with the delay enable setting to off, I find there is no way to fix the bass except manually turn the sub down 10dB using the remote (ie changing the speaker level for the sub)! However, if I let the DSP do processing (ie leave DSD delay enable set to ON) it must automatically compensate for the 58av's LFE 10dB increase because you definitely cannot hear it. My receiver levels are calibrated using the audyssey mic, so I am confident that it is not the level setting in the receiver.

There seems to be a thread from 2006 talking about this issue on several receivers and DVD players: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=905 , but I really need to know if other 58av users have the same problem and if so which 58av firmware and receiver they are using. I think the issue is caused by the fact that DTS and DD LFE channels are recorded -10dB below the other channels, but with SACD, they are not. Thus, I think either the receiver or the player is boosting the signal. Since the analog output from the player has the same issue of +10dB for the LFE, I believe it's the player.

If you change your mind and want to go multi-region, then you can still go downgrade to the modified version of YGD7925A, hold 'ENTER' until the player turns off, and once again install YGD8827A (see post 521 for details).

The 10-dB LFE issue varies from disc to disc, receiver to receiver, and player to player. Some movies' and music's LFE tracks were recorded with an LFE output level increased by 10 dB in order to accomidate for playback equipment permanently set at a flat 0-dB LFE input level. Other movies' and music's LFE tracks were recorded with a flat LFE level of 0 dB in order to accomidate playback equipment with an LFE level increased by 10 dB, as well as purists (such as myself) who would prefer not to apply any processing, and/or those who believe that nutral is natural. On one hand, a subwoofer should continue with the bottom register at that point where the rest of the speakers bottom out. Inotherwords, it should blend with the rest of the system. On the other hand, if you can't hear much difference when you turn the subwoofer on and off, you're just waisting money and floor space! It depends on your playback equipment and personal preferences.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

The 10dB issue is really annoying and it seems to happen on all SACDs I own (5 so far). I'd think there would be a standard for DSD multichannel LFE level. I tend to think it's the 58av boosting the bass artificially because it is definitely not the way the tracks are supposed to sound. The 58av would be a perfect player if it didn't have this LFE issue when I play multichannel SACDs.

If the receiver was well designed, I could raise all other LFE levels by 10dB, lower the subwoofer speaker output by 10dB and leave DSD at 0dB. Of course, the Onkyo 905 won't let me do this so I am stuck changing the LFE level manually whenever I play an SACD.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:

The 10dB issue is really annoying and it seems to happen on all SACDs I own (5 so far). I'd think there would be a standard for DSD multichannel LFE level. I tend to think it's the 58av boosting the bass artificially because it is definitely not the way the tracks are supposed to sound. The 58av would be a perfect player if it didn't have this LFE issue when I play multichannel SACDs.

If the receiver was well designed, I could raise all other LFE levels by 10dB, lower the subwoofer speaker output by 10dB and leave DSD at 0dB. Of course, the Onkyo 905 won't let me do this so I am stuck changing the LFE level manually whenever I play an SACD.

Before I begin, let me remind you that I'm still an S-Video/coaxial-digital/optical-digital/analog 5.1 user, and am not yet HDMI ready. I own two receivers--a Pioneer receiver with an intigrated DVD/DVD-A/SACD player, and a Yamaha receiver. I have noticed that when using digital inputs, the subwoofer level does sound high by default. I also own three DVD/DVD-AUDIO/SACD players with 5.1 analog output--a Yamaha DVD-C750, DVD-C950, and a Pioneer Elite DV-58AV. When using the 5.1 analog output on my 750, 950, and 58, the LFE track sounds lower than when playing via digital, or via my receiver with intigrated DVD player. I think the 58 sends flat 0-dB levels all across the board. It all depends on your receiver.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Valjean,

I agree that it can be receiver dependent, but my speaker levels are all calibrated using audyssey and checked with both roomEQ (for LFE level as SPL meter isn't accurate for low frequencies) and an spl meter (for f,l,c,rear). I'm also have LFE 10dB too high when I play SACD's with 5.1 analog out, which is very interesting because you are saying the analog out sounds fine for you...

What month/year is your unit? I wonder if you have a different hardware revision than me or if my unit is defective? Mine sounds so out of the ordinary, that just about anyone would say there is way too much bass.

Quote:

Before I begin, let me remind you that I'm still an S-Video/coaxial-digital/optical-digital/analog 5.1 user, and am not yet HDMI ready. I own two receivers--a Pioneer receiver with an intigrated DVD/DVD-A/SACD player, and a Yamaha receiver. I have noticed that when using digital inputs, the subwoofer level does sound high by default. I also own three DVD/DVD-AUDIO/SACD players with 5.1 analog output--a Yamaha DVD-C750, DVD-C950, and a Pioneer Elite DV-58AV. When using the 5.1 analog output on my 750, 950, and 58, the LFE track sounds lower than when playing via digital, or via my receiver with intigrated DVD player. I think the 58 sends flat 0-dB levels all across the board. It all depends on your receiver.