AVS Forum banner

Pioneer Elite DV-58AV

217K views 1K replies 119 participants last post by  Chris Kelly 
#1 ·
Haven't seen much on this one yet, except a picture on the 'Secrets' coverage of CEDIA 2007, as well as pre-order listings on a couple of online vendor sites. What's interesting about this player is that is upscales to 1080p, and is able to pass multi-channel DVD-A and SACD via HDMI (1.2a). Since support for iLink seems to be dwindling, this will be a nice alternative for those who want to send high-res music digitally to their processor/receiver.

CEDIA Pictures on Secrets

(Sorry, tried to post link to spec sheet, but could not link to online retailer site. A quick search will turn it up.)

#602 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 - 427 /forum/post/16191468

Hopefully hakan will be able to get one before they are all gone so improved firmwares will continue in the future.

I e-mailed him/her about a few Pioneer and MediaTek related issues other than this player and he/she hasn't gotten back to me. I wonder if he/she quit once he/she heard the bad news. I hope not! The last I heard back in late December, he/she has no plans on getting this player. I already made a donation to pioneerfaq via PayPal, leaving a note saying we'd like to see you get that player. If it means that much to anyone, the only thing you could do is send a PayPal donation to support@pioneerfaq.info with a note, telling him that you'd like to see him/her get this player so we could have an ultimate firmware for it. Meanwhile, let's start looking at other DSD HDMI players so we can at least be keeping up with what is available as opposed to mourning what has been discontinued.

#603 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom /forum/post/16191779

I e-mailed him/her about a few Pioneer and MediaTek related issues other than this player and he/she hasn't gotten back to me. I wonder if he/she quit once he/she heard the bad news. I hope not! The last I heard back in late December, he/she has no plans on getting this player. I already made a donation to pioneerfaq via PayPal, leaving a note saying we'd like to see you get that player. If it means that much to anyone, the only thing you could do is send a PayPal donation to support@pioneerfaq.info with a note, telling him that you'd like to see him/her get this player so we could have an ultimate firmware for it. Meanwhile, let's start looking at other DSD HDMI players so we can at least be keeping up with what is available as opposed to mourning what has been discontinued.

Well even if we don't get anymore firmware updates the player already is very good imo.

#604 ·
I have the pio elite dv59avi, why did pio call this newer version a 58? Is it a step down in quality? I know a paid a crapload for my 59 but with my new elite receiver doesnt have ilink so i have to run analogue for sacd, dvd audio. I would rather use the one cable solution that a 58 has if it is just as good.

#605 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick /forum/post/16194815

I have the pio elite dv59avi, why did pio call this newer version a 58? Is it a step down in quality? I know a paid a crapload for my 59 but with my new elite receiver doesnt have ilink so i have to run analogue for sacd, dvd audio. I would rather use the one cable solution that a 58 has if it is just as good.

What model is your receiver?

#611 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom /forum/post/16197236

I don't know what audio DACs are in that receiver, but if it uses either the Burr-Brown PCM1796 or Wolfsons, then an HDMI connection would be perfect for you. Therefore, I'd hurry up and get yourself a DV-58AV before they sell out!

why do you say that? is hdmi better than the analogue outs on pio elite players?

#613 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick /forum/post/16199128

why do you say that? is hdmi better than the analogue outs on pio elite players?

The post above this one claims that your receiver uses upper-end Wolfson DACs, which are even better than the PCM1796 Burr-Brown DACs in the 58 via analog output. Therefore, if you use an HDMI connection between your SC05 and DV-58AV, you will definitly get better performance.

#614 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom /forum/post/16200154

The post above this one claims that your receiver uses upper-end Wolfson DACs, which are even better than the PCM1796 Burr-Brown DACs in the 58 via analog output. Therefore, if you use an HDMI connection between your SC05 and DV-58AV, you will definitly get better performance.

Would it be better over hdmi in the dv58 compared to the analogue outs I am using on my dv59avi? thanks

#616 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom /forum/post/16201640

Yes because the Burr-Brown PCM1738 DACs in the DV-59AVI aren't as good as the Wolfson DACs in the SC05.

Me thinkst your DAC fetish goes too far. A better DAC does not necessarily a better component or signal path make (i.e. composition fallacy). The DAC is but one of many variables in the chain.

AJ

#617 ·
OK guys, if anyone is interested, I was on the e-mail list from Vann's for a new unit, but went ahead and bought elsewhere. I just got an e-mail saying they are in stock with a limited number available. This might be the last opportunity to get an A-stock unit with warranty from an authorized reseller at a decent price. My apologies to anyone who is reading this thread strictly for technical knowledge.

Here is the link:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=StockNotify

#618 ·
I just made a purchase! Thanks for the tip, mahdlokg! Yippee!! Now I can replace my Oppo 970H piece of junk!

It'll look so purty next to my Pioneer 51FD Blu-ray player!

I basically got it as a high quality transport for SA-CD and DVD-Audio discs. My Onkyo 805 (with the latest firmware) also has Burr-Brown 1796 DAC's and DSD Direct decoding.

Anyone with the combo of an Onkyo 805 receiver and a 58AV player have a preference for setting the two up to live in harmony with each other?
Thanks!

#619 ·
Glad to be of help Dan. I bought mine for exactly the same reason. If you have any tips regarding good places to pick up DVD-A & SACD discs, please let me know. I can't believe some of the ones I passed up for $20.00 a couple of years ago are bringing "collectible" prices now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman /forum/post/16217833

I just made a purchase! Thanks for the tip, mahdlokg! Yippee!! Now I can replace my Oppo 970H piece of junk!

It'll look so purty next to my Pioneer 51FD Blu-ray player!

I basically got it as a high quality transport for SA-CD and DVD-Audio discs. My Onkyo 805 (with the latest firmware) also has Burr-Brown 1796 DAC's and DSD Direct decoding.

Anyone with the combo of an Onkyo 805 receiver and a 58AV player have a preference for setting the two up to live in harmony with each other?
Thanks!

#620 ·
So, I cannot play a music disc (CD, SA-CD, or DVD-Audio) on the DV-58AV via HDMI without the TV on, correct? This would suck, if true.

As soon as I turn off the display... it starts to hiccup on and off with the signal.

Anybody with the Onkyo 805 and the 58AV figure out if DSD streaming (using Direct Mode or Pure Mode) sounded better or if sending converted 88.2 kHz PCM to the 805 was best?

Thanks!

#621 ·
Figured out the audio hiccup... had to turn the HDMI monitor output to OFF on the 805 and all was well.

HDMI... What a PITA!!!!

As for the DSD Pure or Direct mode versus sending 88.2 kHz PCM to the 805... any final consensus?

Thanks again!

#622 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman /forum/post/16259748

Figured out the audio hiccup... had to turn the HDMI monitor output to OFF on the 805 and all was well.

HDMI... What a PITA!!!!

As for the DSD Pure or Direct mode versus sending 88.2 kHz PCM to the 805... any final consensus?

Thanks again!

My only experience with HDMI is an HDMI version 1.0 player connected to a PC monitor. Therefore, don't take my HDMI tips as gospel. I have noticed that with my PC monitor/HDTV off, the HDMI indicater on my player doesn't light. It's as if the player knows the TV is off. Is there some way you could turn off your Onkyo 805's HDMI output terminal so that it is independant of whether your TV is onn or off?

#623 ·
With a properly designed receiver, you can:

1. Without ever turning on TV, turn on receiver and player and you should be able to play DVD-A and SACD w/o problem.

2. If you initially had TV on when you play your DVD-A or SACD, don't turn the TV off ever. If you do, the HDCP link is broken and you will get what you described, an intended result mandated by HDCP.

#1 worked on my Pioneer Elite receiver but I know some other brands don't work.

#2 is the result of HDCP. without HDCP, we will never get to enjoy hi-res Audio via HDMI link. So, live with it.

#624 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/16260450

1. Without ever turning on TV, turn on receiver and player and you should be able to play DVD-A and SACD w/o problem.

2. If you initially had TV on when you play your DVD-A or SACD, don't turn the TV off ever. If you do, the HDCP link is broken and you will get what you described, an intended result mandated by HDCP.

#2 is the result of HDCP. without HDCP, we will never get to enjoy hi-res Audio via HDMI link. So, live with it.

Using the Oppo players and the Integra DTC-9.8 with SACD/DVD-A, I can accomplish (1). I can also, then, turn off the monitor and, when I do, there is a brief interruption of the audio which returns after 3-5 seconds. It then plays without a problem. Of course, if I then turn on the monitor, I suffer with that same 3-5 second interruption.

It can be done.

Kal

#625 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/16260450

I'm gonna have to live with it because I tried it without ever turning the TV on as well and the same thing happened. It may be the Samsung, it may be the Onkyo, it may even be the 58AV, or it may be a combination of these units working (or not working) together.

The handshaking becomes between two components with the HDMI output OFF rather than the Pioneer searching for three.

The HDMI output can only be easily shut off or turned on with the button behind the front flap. There is no direct button for it on the remote... that I know of.

I guess if I remember to turn it back on to watch TV and turn it off before I turn on the Pioneer to play an audio disc, then all is well.

But I still hate HDCP and how the HDMI committee ratified it!!!

#626 ·
The problem is probably with your Onkyo receiver then. If TV is never on, you should be able to play those discs without problem theory because your receiver can still be act as HDCP end point without the presence of the TV. Obviously, Onkyo didn't design this way. Did you try to turn off OSD of your Onkyo. I know in order for 1080p/24 signal to work through Onkyo receivers, you have to turn off OSD functionality of the receiver that overlays information on HDMI out to TV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.