AVS Forum banner

Pioneer Elite DV-58AV

217K views 1K replies 119 participants last post by  Chris Kelly 
#1 ·
Haven't seen much on this one yet, except a picture on the 'Secrets' coverage of CEDIA 2007, as well as pre-order listings on a couple of online vendor sites. What's interesting about this player is that is upscales to 1080p, and is able to pass multi-channel DVD-A and SACD via HDMI (1.2a). Since support for iLink seems to be dwindling, this will be a nice alternative for those who want to send high-res music digitally to their processor/receiver.

CEDIA Pictures on Secrets

(Sorry, tried to post link to spec sheet, but could not link to online retailer site. A quick search will turn it up.)

#652 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD /forum/post/16518307

I have an SC-05 and was looking to upgrade to the DV-58av as well. What exact drop outs are you getting through the HDMI output. Is this cd, dvd audio and sacd only? Are movies dropping out as well? I ask because the receiver will not properly decode DD+ hddvd's. The same audio dropouts happen on Paramount, Weinstein and Universal titles with the SC-05 every few minutes.

Found the solution, just bought a new TV.
Looks like my old Mitsubishi DLP was causing the error, not sure how but if I unplugged the HDMI cable running from the SC-05 to the TV, no dropouts in audio. Dropouts were only noticed with SACD, DVD-A and CD material played over the HDMI to the SC-05 while the TV was off. Switched to a Samsung LCD and now I have no problems. The DV-58 gets my endorsement. I don't use it for video so I am not sure how it does in that department, I use it as a transport for music only, and have been pleased with it.

#653 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmj811998 /forum/post/16521093

Found the solution, just bought a new TV.
Looks like my old Mitsubishi DLP was causing the error, not sure how but if I unplugged the HDMI cable running from the SC-05 to the TV, no dropouts in audio. Dropouts were only noticed with SACD, DVD-A and CD material played over the HDMI to the SC-05 while the TV was off. Switched to a Samsung LCD and now I have no problems. The DV-58 gets my endorsement. I don't use it for video so I am not sure how it does in that department, I use it as a transport for music only, and have been pleased with it.

Unless you have a DVD player with high-end video processing, you really should try the DV-58AV for movies as well. You might be surprised!

#654 ·
Well I just connected my new 58. Upgraded from 47ai. Paid CAN350 new. Sold my 47ai for CAN150, so it cost me CAN250 with taxes. Watched my first DVD at 480P and am very pleased. Almost HD quality. Big jump from the 47's component out to 58's HDMI. Audio, I hear an improvement in micro detail and bottom end. Bought unit based on what I have read here on AVS. I needed a SD universal player with HDMI and good 2-channel analog out. Was looking at used 5910 or 3930 but read a lot about units needing service. Just thought I'd let you all know how pleased I am with my new 58.

#655 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlyko /forum/post/16593785

Well I just connected my new 58. Upgraded from 47ai. Paid CAN350 new. Sold my 47ai for CAN150, so it cost me CAN250 with taxes. Watched my first DVD at 480P and am very pleased. Almost HD quality. Big jump from the 47's component out to 58's HDMI. Audio, I hear an improvement in micro detail and bottom end. Bought unit based on what I have read here on AVS. I needed a SD universal player with HDMI and good 2-channel analog out. Was looking at used 5910 or 3930 but read a lot about units needing service. Just thought I'd let you all know how pleased I am with my new 58.

Where did you get your Pio in Canada? (and for $350!!)

#657 ·
Do you plan on listening to a lot of DVD-A/SACD discs? If so, do you plan on using the DV-58AV's analog outputs or its HDMI output? If you strictly plan on using HDMI, depending on what receiver you have, you might not need to spend the extra money on this player. The good receivers don't convert DSD to PCM, which provides more headroom in the extreme ends of the audio spectrum. The less expensive receivers more than likely convert DSD to PCM. What receiver and TV do you plan on using with your next player?

#658 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinxMeister /forum/post/13384831

there are $99 CD players that sound just as good from the analog outs.

I am mostly interested in redbook playback, as most discs are 16/44.1.

But I also enjoy SACD and DVD audio (even through an older Pioneer 563a) and hear a significant difference on well mastered discs vs. their redbook counterparts (or layer).

Still, if you can find me a redbook player for $100 that makes standard CDs sound as good as a Pioneer 79avi through it's analog outputs; I'll buy it right now. In fact I'll probably buy as many as I can afford, re-badge them and start a business!

(Or were you using hyperbole to make a point?)

#659 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom /forum/post/16650297

Do you plan on listening to a lot of DVD-A/SACD discs? If so, do you plan on using the DV-58AV's analog outputs or its HDMI output? If you strictly plan on using HDMI, depending on what receiver you have, you might not need to spend the extra money on this player. The good receivers don't convert DSD to PCM, which provides more headroom in the extreme ends of the audio spectrum. The less expensive receivers more than likely convert DSD to PCM. What receiver and TV do you plan on using with your next player?

Looks like I was writing the previous reply while you were typing yours to me!

Thanks for the response.

I'm gradually upgrading my system and want decent, reliable audio above all else. As I don't have enough money for two separate systems I'm pretty much stuck buying a universal player. I'll eventually get a plasma or maybe LED/LCD in the future, but I can wait. I don't rent many movies any more as I use the movie channel. Blue Ray is nice but I can do without it forever unless it becomes the standard.

Right now I'm using an older Yamaha receiver with 5.1 analog in. I use a dedicated headphone amp and Sennheiser HD650s for a lot of listening so the source is very important. I'm sure there are some questions I didn't answer but I don't type (or think) as quickly as I'd like to!

#660 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback /forum/post/16650808

Looks like I was writing the previous reply while you were typing yours to me!

Thanks for the response.

I'm gradually upgrading my system and want decent, reliable audio above all else. As I don't have enough money for two separate systems I'm pretty much stuck buying a universal player. I'll eventually get a plasma or maybe LED/LCD in the future, but I can wait. I don't rent many movies any more as I use the movie channel. Blue Ray is nice but I can do without it forever unless it becomes the standard.

Right now I'm using an older Yamaha receiver with 5.1 analog in. I use a dedicated headphone amp and Sennheiser HD650s for a lot of listening so the source is very important. I'm sure there are some questions I didn't answer but I don't type (or think) as quickly as I'd like to!

I use a 2006 model Yamaha HTR-5935 receiver with 5.1 analog inputs for audio. For video, I use a 1998-model 27" Magnavox CRT. I chose the DV-58AV because of its high-quality analog audio output, its future-proof HDMI output, and its build quality. I have it connected via S-video through an RF modulator. I'm sure that according to AVS standards, some might say my TV sucks, but even if I had the money, I don't really have enough room in my house to upgrade to all HD stuff, yet keep my old TV lying around as a spair. Besides, it's probibly due to die anytime now anyway.

#661 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom /forum/post/16650897

I use a 2006 model Yamaha HTR-5935 receiver with 5.1 analog inputs for audio. For video, I use a 1998-model 27" Magnavox CRT. I chose the DV-58AV because of its high-quality analog audio output, its future-proof HDMI output, and its build quality. I have it connected via S-video through an RF modulator. I'm sure that according to AVS standards, some might say my TV sucks, but even if I had the money, I don't really have enough room in my house to upgrade to all HD stuff, yet keep my old TV lying around as a spair. Besides, it's probibly due to die anytime now anyway.

We should start a club! I'm using the same year Toshiba 27" TV and am looking at either the Pioneer 58AV or a 79avi depending on the best price I find.

I turned down an Oppo due to the build quality (or lack thereof) for $100!

It was the 980 and I thought it looked flimsy and really didn't get a chance to hear it properly. It was the first generation buggy one anyway. I don't know why everyone thinks these guys at Oppo can work miracles, something has to be sacrificed along the way.

I'm thinking if I ever get a few bucks the 79avi would make a great transport into a mid/high end DAC. I love good two channel sound but good surround is nice too.

#662 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback /forum/post/16650991

We should start a club! I'm using the same year Toshiba 27" TV and am looking at either the Pioneer 58AV or a 79avi depending on the best price I find.

I turned down an Oppo due to the build quality (or lack thereof) for $100!

It was the 980 and I thought it looked flimsy and really didn't get a chance to hear it properly. It was the first generation buggy one anyway. I don't know why everyone thinks these guys at Oppo can work miracles, something has to be sacrificed along the way.

I'm thinking if I ever get a few bucks the 79avi would make a great transport into a mid/high end DAC. I love good two channel sound but good surround is nice too.

The problem with the 79AVI is that its digital outputs are not future-proof. It's HDMI output is version 1.1, which can't output pure DSD. Its ILink output can output every kind of audio stream, but because of HDMI 1.2A and higher, no receiver on the market today will feature an ILink input. So if you go with the DV-58AV, you'll wind up with the best of both worlds--a good analog section to accomidate your current system, and future-proof HDMI output to accomidate any equipment you might upgrade to later.

#663 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom /forum/post/16651043

The problem with the 79AVI is that its digital outputs are not future-proof. It's HDMI output is version 1.1, which can't output pure DSD. Its ILink output can output every kind of audio stream, but because of HDMI 1.2A and higher, no receiver on the market today will feature an ILink input. So if you go with the DV-58AV, you'll wind up with the best of both worlds--a good analog section to accomidate your current system, and future-proof HDMI output to accomidate any equipment you might upgrade to later.

That is a consideration but I haven't decided how much future proofing I'm going to need.

Pure DSD would be nice as you say. Thanks for your comments. I PMd the fellow who bought his 58AV for $350. I'll see what he says about it's availability. It doesn't even show up on the Canadian Pioneer site!

#664 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellenback /forum/post/16652177

That is a consideration but I haven't decided how much future proofing I'm going to need.

Pure DSD would be nice as you say. Thanks for your comments. I PMd the fellow who bought his 58AV for $350. I'll see what he says about it's availability. It doesn't even show up on the Canadian Pioneer site!

I don't understand French, but the Canadian site has a French section on it. The 58 and 48 both show up there, but why not the 49!

#668 ·
I have now had my 58AV for a couple of weeks. 2-channel analog is really special. The best I have had in my system. Fantastic dynamic range and detail, detail, detail. I am hearing things very clearly that I have not heard before on many tracks. eg. Sinead O'Connor CD 'Throw Down Your Arms' track 1 'Jah Nuh Dead' you can clearly hear the sounds that a modem makes. It probably had a computer plugged in the same circuit that the recording gear was on??? Another is the piano playing in Jacintha's headphones while singing 'Moon River' on her 'The Songs of Johnny Mercer' CD. Johnny Cash 'American Recordings'... well let me tell you, he is alive in my listening room. Living, breathing. Another CD that blew me away is 'Celtic Thunder', probably the best recording I have heard to date, better than Rebecca Pidgeon recording of 'Spanish Harlem'. Better than any SACD or DVD-A I own.

The player needs to be broken in. It was a bit on the harsh side out of the box but that is subsiding now.

Video is very good. I have tried all settings and have determined that 480i over HDMI and allowing my TV to do its thing produced the sharpest picture. Progressive softens the picture. I have no idea why people use progressive on flat panels when flat panels are progressive by design.

Second best money I have spent on my system, room treatment by far is the best place to put your money.

#669 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom /forum/post/16652883

I don't understand French, but the Canadian site has a French section on it. The 58 and 48 both show up there, but why not the 49!

I assume you mean the Elite 49av which I have read on this forum is the same player as the Pioneer 610av and has the same DAC chip as the older 578a. Do you own the 49av and if so do you know if it sounds any better than the 578a? I have an older Pioneer 563a; sold a 578a and am looking for better redbook/SACD sound.

I have considered an Oppo 980H and the Pio 610av but haven't heard either.

The 610 is available on ebay but the shipping cost would prove prohibitive if I didn't like it. Decisions, decisions....

#671 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom /forum/post/16697897

Also, if playing SACD via 5.1 analog out, the 578, 588, 696/46, 600/48, and 610/49 would sound exactly the same. I think because your 563 doesn't convert DSD to PCM, you'll get better sound from it. Yet the 58 beats 'em all as far as 5.1 analog playback is concerned.

Thanks for the answer. I just missed a Pioneer 79avi (I'm not concerned with picture) for $250 on ebay from Canada. Hesitated in the last 5 seconds. You never know what the other guy's highest final bid was, so who knows what I would have had to pay to get it. I can get one in mint condition for $325 but I don't know how the redbook sound is. I assume it would be much like the 58 except the DAC chip is a little older (but well implemented I hear).

Redbook is of prime importance as 95% of my discs are such. No 58s anywhere to be found. I guess I'll have to be patient.

I find the 563a light in the bass with SACDs when listening through my SennHD650s + Perreaux headphone amp. It's a little thin period and that is what I am really trying to remedy. Different opinions on the Oppo 980H so I'm really confused!

(Sorry for the rambling post! Thanks again for your help)

#672 ·
If you're in the U.S. and you didn't want to spend the extra money on a DV-46AV/48AV/49AV, you could get a gray market DV-696AV/600AV/610AV from J&R, B&H, etc. and get the same players for much less money. The Asian/European version of the DV-58AV is the DV-800AV/LX50. How come no one cells a gray market DV-800AV/LX50? That would be a cool, less expensive way to get a multi-system, multi-region-via-IR version of this fantastic player!

#673 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom /forum/post/16771395

If you're in the U.S. and you didn't want to spend the extra money on a DV-46AV/48AV/49AV, you could get a gray market DV-696AV/600AV/610AV from J&R, B&H, etc. and get the same players for much less money. The Asian/European version of the DV-58AV is the DV-800AV/LX50. How come no one cells a gray market DV-800AV/LX50? That would be a cool, less expensive way to get a multi-system, multi-region-via-IR version of this fantastic player!

I'm still looking for a 58AV. It would be nice if somebody would offer the DV-800AV as you mentioned, but I haven't seen it yet. Canada is worse than many countries for availability and price on items like this. I wish I knew someone in the States that could get me one of these and mail it up to Toronto!

I forgot to ask; does anyone know the MSRP for a DV49? In other words, how much would I be saving by getting a 610av model. There are some available on ebay from reputable dealers. I actually bought one but cancelled the order when I found out it would sound the same as the 578a. Does anyone have experience with both or know if the sound is any better on redbook than the 578a?

#674 ·
If you wish to add multi-region, multi-system, blacker-than-black/below-black, override prohibited user operations during movie playback, and start movies without copyright warnings, menus, coming attractions, etc., Hakan just released enhanced firmware based on YGD8827A. It can be found at http://www.pioneerfaq.info/click/click.php?id=429 . The only feature that might behave differently than some might expect is the Black Level switch, found in Initial Settings > Video Output.

#676 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValjeanPhantom /forum/post/16811787

If you wish to add multi-region, multi-system, blacker-than-black/below-black, override prohibited user operations during movie playback, and start movies without copyright warnings, menus, coming attractions, etc., Hakan just released enhanced firmware based on YJD8827A. It can be found at http://www.pioneerfaq.info/click/click.php?id=429 . The only feature that might behave differently than some might expect is the Black Level switch, found in Initial Settings > Video Output.

This is an active link that automatically downloads a zipped file. When I try to unzip it remains in zip format. Available notes say this is for the 610V model.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong. I just wanted to download the firmware in case I need it for a possible DVD player purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.