post #181 of 1057 Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown View Post

I have seen quite a few bits of info about HDMI and jitter as well. Hi Fi News in the UK looked at this 20 months or so ago. HDMI had horrible jitter rates. I always scratch my head when someone says that HDMI audio is better than what you can get over coax or toslink for CD, for example. Kal, I don't remember you mentioning this in your Stereophile review of the Integra 9.8?

Can't do multichannel over S/PDIF and the review was in the multichannel column. Off the cuff, there was nothing much different from coax or HDMI with CDs but these constitute the tiniest minority of my listening on this system.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1057 Old 04-03-2008, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
M/C over HDMI to the pre/pro, vs M/C analog out of the player?

'Course, then you're including the difference between DACs, op amps, analog output stages, etc, but really, the jitter rate numbers that HFN gave led me to believe that it couldn't not be audible. (Tens of thousands of picoseconds is what I'm remembering.)

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #183 of 1057 Old 04-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

M/C over HDMI to the pre/pro, vs M/C analog out of the player?

'Course, then you're including the difference between DACs, op amps, analog output stages, etc, but really, the jitter rate numbers that HFN gave led me to believe that it couldn't not be audible. (Tens of thousands of picoseconds is what I'm remembering.)

HFN (Hi-Fi News)? jitter rates for the 58 over HDMI? Thank you, not that I care about the CD section, just the SACD.
post #184 of 1057 Old 04-07-2008, 01:01 PM

I have a complete Elite Pioneer setup (Plasma, AVR, Bluray). I am looking to add an SACD to my setup. It will be placed in my HT (5.1), but also sent to zone 2 is upstairs. Zone 2 is a 2.1 setup. I don't need a universal, since I have both Blueray and HD-DVD. So please any suggestions on an only SACD/ DVD-A players.

thanks,
Don
post #185 of 1057 Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

HFN (Hi-Fi News)? jitter rates for the 58 over HDMI? Thank you, not that I care about the CD section, just the SACD.

Not for the 58. It was a test with Denon components. But horrible jitter rates with HDMI is an HDMI problem, not a Pioneer or Denon problem.

Also, my impression is that if a jitter rate is x for CD, it is much higher than x for SACD due to the higher effective sampling rate.

If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

post #186 of 1057 Old 04-09-2008, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbro View Post

I have a complete Elite Pioneer setup (Plasma, AVR, Bluray). I am looking to add an SACD to my setup. It will be placed in my HT (5.1), but also sent to zone 2 is upstairs. Zone 2 is a 2.1 setup. I don't need a universal, since I have both Blueray and HD-DVD. So please any suggestions on an only SACD/ DVD-A players.

There really is no such thing as a "DVD-A only" player (that I'm aware of), but there is SACD only. If you're only looking for two-channel SACD, the Marantz SA8001 would be at the top of my list.

However, you'd probably do just as well (and match the rest of your setup) with the DV-58AV.

Brad
post #187 of 1057 Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not for the 58. It was a test with Denon components. But horrible jitter rates with HDMI is an HDMI problem, not a Pioneer or Denon problem.

Also, my impression is that if a jitter rate is x for CD, it is much higher than x for SACD due to the higher effective sampling rate.

This wouldn't matter if timing information was included in the packets and it was reclocked by the receiver, iLink using IEEE-1394 had this information in it.
post #188 of 1057 Old 04-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111R View Post

There's been a lot of talk about the DACs on the 58AV not being as good as others. I've got the 58AV in my system, but I am outputting via HDMI and my Onkyo 885 is doing the processing.

So far, so good. I'm happy with the 58AV.

DACs are great the controversy is over the analog output section. The PCM-1796 DACs are the second from the top of the line Burr-Brown DACs. Did you mean 875 BTW?
post #189 of 1057 Old 04-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

There really is no such thing as a "DVD-A only" player (that I'm aware of), but there is SACD only. If you're only looking for two-channel SACD, the Marantz SA8001 would be at the top of my list.

However, you'd probably do just as well (and match the rest of your setup) with the DV-58AV.

For two channel check this one out as well:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...iAudio/PD-D9-J
post #190 of 1057 Old 04-09-2008, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

For two channel check this one out as well:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...iAudio/PD-D9-J

Yeah, those new Pioneer hi-fi components look pretty compelling as well. Anyone know when they will be available, or what the pricing is?

Brad
post #191 of 1057 Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This wouldn't matter if timing information was included in the packets and it was reclocked by the receiver, iLink using IEEE-1394 had this information in it.

Ahh, but PCM (CD, DVD-A) and DSD aren't packeted. DD/DTS are.

And using i.Link doesn't necessary mean the clocks between the sending and receiving units are synchronized. Pio has PLQS (or something), Sony has HATS (or something), and I think Yamaha had something too. You needed components of the same ilk for that to work with i.Link.

If you look up the info in Hi Fi News, Denon's version of i.Link did not have that capability, and jitter there was not as good as Denon Link, which does. i.Link was nowhere near as bad as HDMI, but not as good as Denon Link.

post #192 of 1057 Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Did you mean 875 BTW?

Nope, I have the Onkyo PRSC885 preamp that feeds my Atlantic Technology A-2000 amp.

post #193 of 1057 Old 04-20-2008, 04:29 AM

hi, no i cannot get it to work loooks like it outputs only 480p through component,overall quite dissapointed with this player espicially picture quality,i also have denon 1920 upscaling dvd player and find it produces better picture overall.
post #194 of 1057 Old 04-20-2008, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulleo1 View Post

hi, no i cannot get it to work loooks like it outputs only 480p through component,overall quite dissapointed with this player espicially picture quality,i also have denon 1920 upscaling dvd player and find it produces better picture overall.

Blame the content producers for the lack of upscaling on the component outputs, they don't allow it on DVDs with copy protection (just about any DVD you can buy). They seem to think that upscaling is tantamount to giving you HDTV without copy protection (yes, they are that ignorant). If you make your own DVDs it will upscale them.
post #195 of 1057 Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Blame the content producers for the lack of upscaling on the component outputs, they don't allow it on DVDs with copy protection (just about any DVD you can buy). They seem to think that upscaling is tantamount to giving you HDTV without copy protection (yes, they are that ignorant). If you make your own DVDs it will upscale them.

very valid and extremely good point thanks.
post #196 of 1057 Old 04-22-2008, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sooo, I have read through the posts and my question is - is this a good player to buy - I am looking to upgrade from a Denon DV2200 - will this player play back up DVD's? The Denon is horrid at dvd-r's.

Thanks, Tom
post #197 of 1057 Old 04-23-2008, 07:36 AM

I'd really like to know what the general opinion is of the picture quality of this player.

I've got a new Oppo 983 at the moment which provides an amazing picture at 1080p but I'm getting the dreaded dropout of video and audio, I'm thinking of returning it and maybe buying this player. Is it recommended?
post #198 of 1057 Old 04-24-2008, 08:24 PM

I just got my new DV-58AV yesterday and, so far, I can't figure out how to pass mult-channel DVD-Audio, SACD and DTS CD audio via HDMI to my Integra DTC-9.8.

The Dolby Digital Out, DTS Out and Linear PCM Out settings in the Initial Settings menu are grayed out and I am unable to make any changes.

I am getting audio out via HDMI, but it appears to be a 44.1 stereo stream only.

What am I missing?

Update: I "ungrayed" the grayed-out settings by turning HDMI Audio to "off." I've also been able to get full DTS via Toslink but not HDMI.

Solution: On the Integra DTC-9.8, under Menu 7-5 Hardware Setup, "HDMI Audio" must be set to "off." It makes no sense but it works fine now.
post #199 of 1057 Old 05-06-2008, 03:38 PM

anyone interested in pioneer dv-58av used only 4 times from brand new got it for picture quality not that keen open to offers 2 months old.
post #200 of 1057 Old 05-07-2008, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulleo1 View Post

hi
does any know if player can be modified to play region 2 pal discs and region 3 dvd discs i have one at moment and it plays region free pal disc is there a pal to ntsc converter in player i wonder it plays region 1-6 pal dvds and output as ntsc,any help would be appreciated please, thanks.

I believe the North American models are only capable of outputting a 60Hz NTSC signal. So therefore, 50Hz Pal material would be converted to 60Hz NTSC. As far as making it multi-region compatible, using a One for All modem-upgradable remote, send the WAV file found at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...d&file_id=5558 to it. Once the remote has been programmed, set it to VCR/2000. Turn on the DVD player via the front pannel or its supplied remote. Using the One for All, press POWER. Turn your DVD player back on once again via the front pannel or its supplied remote. Insert a previously unplayable DVD. It should play as normal. It worked on my 2004 Region 1 US model DVD player/receiver. This in my opinion is much more convenient, as well as less expensive, than Prontos, PDAs, celphones, soldering homemade cables, etc. Unfortunately, downloadable, burnable, multi-region compatible firmware does not exist for all Pioneer models. Also, when I installed downloadable, multi-region compatible firmware on an internal computer DVD drive, the drive had disc-reading problems ever since. As a result, I personally am not going to install such firmware on my set top DVD players. When my Yamaha changers become useless, I am actually going to get the DV-48AV because it also has the Burr-Brown PCM1796. I do not plan on the 58 because I plan on eventually upgrading to the new Yamaha RX-V663 which goes for about the same price. Why pay double for good DSD processing? After all, my objective is to get DSD over analog to use with my current system, but have the HDMI 1.2A output for when I am ready to go HD.
post #201 of 1057 Old 05-08-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about this player, but I do know that the 59AVi played PAL discs. No mods necessary.

post #202 of 1057 Old 05-08-2008, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know about this player, but I do know that the 59AVi played PAL discs. No mods necessary.

There are three things we're dealing with in the world of DVD (TV system, system conversion, and region codes). Just because you played a Pal DVD successfully, that does not mean your player is multi-region compatible out of the box. You might either have bought an already modified player, or just so happened to have stumbled upon a few DVDs with either no regional encoding or with regional encoding for the region of your player, as well as for a few other regions.
post #203 of 1057 Old 05-11-2008, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Schultz View Post

The DV58 uses just the Mediatek chip only for video as the Oppo does (the older DV-79 here has a Gazillion chips on its main board....not on this one...hardly anything there. However, it is not programmed the same. The chip in the Oppo has an OP2 marking on it that indicates that Oppo has done its magic to the chip.

The audio DACs in the DV-58 are the PCM1796 current out DACs.

DV-58 made in Thailand.

Most people do not calibrate their TV. So, maybe, maybe if you did and fooled around with the DV-58s settings you could get it to look as good as the Oppo.....maybe. I wouldn't bet on it. No way, you would prefer the Pioneer in my setup.

Are you sure the DV-58AV only uses the MediaTek? Because it has features like 'AUTO,' 'VIDEO 1,' and 'VIDEO 2,' as well as a 216 MHz video DAC via component, which is common with Faroudja-bassed players. On the other hand, it doesn't have the 'True Life' adjustment. Could that make it an Anchor Bay? I like the MediaTek as an MPEG decoder. And as a processor, it's noticeably better than Zoran Vaddis. I just can't understand how it could be strictly utilizing the MediaTek for both MPEG decoding and advanced video processing, based on the features, characteristics, adjustments, and controls I mentioned above.
post #204 of 1057 Old 05-13-2008, 02:34 PM

Some advice for a novice please. With a Pioneer Elite 58 using HDMI directly to 1150 for viewing regular dvd's, the local Pioneer dealer set the player to 1920X1080i. My tv viewing is cable directly to the 1150, so using the player to watch dvd movies only. Is 1080i the best picture or should I switch the player to 480i? Thank you for your help.

Ronnie
post #205 of 1057 Old 05-13-2008, 03:01 PM

1150 is a 720p so I wouldnt use anything lower than that.
post #206 of 1057 Old 05-13-2008, 05:21 PM

Thank you Donnie 1.

Ronnie
post #207 of 1057 Old 05-13-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Just because you played a Pal DVD successfully, that does not mean your player is multi-region compatible out of the box.

I never said it was a multi region player, now did I. Just that it could play PAL DVDs. A lot of players available here in the U.S. cannot play PAL DVDs at all.

post #208 of 1057 Old 05-14-2008, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am shopping for a new SD player and have the 58, 48 and Oppo's 983 on my short list. CD play back is top requirement with video play back second. It appears that the 58 and 48 aren't setting the world on fire in terms of sales. I think the 58 is way over priced especially compared to what Oppo 983 offers the consumer (heck, even what oppo is charging for the 983 is a bit much too). Earning a perfect score from Secret's is very impressive.
post #209 of 1057 Old 05-14-2008, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you going to listen to the analog outs from the player? Or coax/optical/or HDMI?

post #210 of 1057 Old 05-16-2008, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Some cd sound better using analog while others sound better via digital cable. I almost bid on a DV48 for half off MSRP on eBay. But, I am going to wait a little longer before doing my part to help the economy.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page