need advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-21-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am buying a new Samsung 4669 LCD HD TV tonight. I am currently using a Sony DVD player with super video and a 36inch CRT from 2000. The DVD player does have component connections, but no HDMI.

I am not ready to buy a blue ray or HD player. If I buy a component cable, will the new Samsung TV upconvert standard dvd's with my old Sony DVD player? Also, if I have video's which were converted from AVI to DVD and burned with Nerovision, can those be upconverted by a dvd player or the new TV?

I am not sure if I should buy a new upconverting DVD player, or wait for the Blue Ray prices to come down. If I will get a substantial improvement with an upconverting player, I may buy a cheap one now and hook it up with HDMI. I also would like to play AVI files if possible. I would appreciate any advice as I am new to the HD scene. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-21-2007, 04:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatesWarning View Post

I am not ready to buy a blue ray or HD player. If I buy a component cable, will the new Samsung TV upconvert standard dvd's with my old Sony DVD player? Also, if I have video's which were converted from AVI to DVD and burned with Nerovision, can those be upconverted by a dvd player or the new TV?

All fixed-pixel displays convert any supported input signal to their native resolution. An upconverting player is not required. People sometimes like the results they get with one better, but we are talking about relatively subtle differences.

-Bill
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page