Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 88 Old 12-12-2007, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I took a working dvd player, and tried to "new and improve" it,
and now it doesn't work at all.
The unit accepted the firmware disc, and now goes back and forth between, "system up!" and "system ready!" for hours, but never completes anything.
The only way to stop it is to unplug it. When I plug it back in it says
"firmware error, checking firmware, please insert firmware disc". Which I do and the whole process starts over again.
I looked inside, but didn't see a back up battery, thinking if I disconnected the battery the unit might reset itself.

Any suggestions?

-Luc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 88 Old 12-14-2007, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the link!
post #33 of 88 Old 12-21-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
has anyone gotten access to the laser assembly for the onkyo dv-sp1000 or Integra DPS-10.5.?

Mine (integra) has recently starting locking up randomly on dvd's .Would a laser disc cleaner work/ shot of compressed air??
post #34 of 88 Old 12-22-2007, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
dxc

Well, wanted to try to clean the laser today on a DV-SP1000.
But after opening the top plate, we had to remove 2 prints with small wires and connectors before even being able to get access to the drive and laser unit.
We just thought it was better to let it be and have a professional do it.
I do think a cleaning of the laser would help with the reading problems. Or at least I hope so.
post #35 of 88 Old 12-28-2007, 10:54 PM

I agree. I opened up my unit to see if there was a battery for keeping the program, in hopes of resetting my unit back to where it was before I "fixed" it.
This unit is unbelievably complex, in comparison to my Toshiba sd-9200.
It's going to the repair shop.

-Luc
post #36 of 88 Old 12-30-2007, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

well after 3 hours i finally managed to access the laser drive !!

one things for certain ; this player was not assembled by robots !!

laser looked fine but i gave it a wipe with isopropyl alchohol

i noticed that pressing and "HOLD" of the reset button [stop button]really must be done for at least 40seconds for the re-set to work.

These onkyo / integra players have TWO silicon image de-interlacing chips (on the right hand side boards) plus an O-PLUS scaling chip

i presume the fujitsu chip on the top board is the MPEG2 decoder?

in hindsight after hours of troubleshooting i think I know what was causing my player to freeze: my refrigerator (and hence compressor!) was plugged in to the same circuit as my AV gear.The manual states that the microprocessor can be affected by other equipment and when the compressor kicks in that causes mini- surges.

Fridge has been moved to another circuit and everything works fine (I hope)
post #37 of 88 Old 12-31-2007, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

These onkyo / integra players have TWO silicon image de-interlacing chips (on the right hand side boards) plus an O-PLUS scaling chip

Interesting! Same chip (SI504)? One for analog output and one for digital, I'm guessing.

Quote:

i presume the fujitsu chip on the top board is the MPEG2 decoder?

Yes. A Fujitsu MPEG decoder is not uncommon.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #38 of 88 Old 01-04-2008, 05:45 PM

I have a DPS-10.5 with A/V sync problem and possible reading disc problem (so far one disc had a servere problem with this player) and it has F/W 1.10. Is the SP1000 firware used on the DPS-10.5 or is there a different one used for the Integra?
post #39 of 88 Old 01-04-2008, 05:54 PM

I haven't received any response from integra with a couple of emails over the past three weeks. I'm not use to this level of service........
post #40 of 88 Old 01-05-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

i read here that the intermittent loss of AV synch has something to do with either faulty silicon image de-interlacing chips (?or the way they were implemented)

on my unit i can get rid of the problem by running video out as interlaced (and using an outboard video processor or letting the TV do the de-interlacing)

It was a well known problem on an otherwise excellent DVD player

Don't know if the Onkyo sp1000 and the integra use same firmware , as they are almost identical players, but your not alone in discovering the joys of onkyo customer service
post #41 of 88 Old 01-06-2008, 08:00 AM

Hey William, what firmware do you have on your 10.5, and did you update yours?
post #42 of 88 Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

i never updated it , I can't remember how to work out what FW i have -

i might have to dig thru the archives

Ive now played at least 8 movies since I pulled this behemoth apart and have had no lockups
post #43 of 88 Old 01-06-2008, 10:00 PM

If you want to check the firmware this is the procedure:
1) Turn on the dvd. There must not be any disc in the player.
2) On the front plate, press the "Display" and then the "Video Circuit OFF" button and the release. The display will now show "SYS.XXXXX"
3) Press "Display" again. The display will now show the firmware: SYS.R. 1.XX
post #44 of 88 Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
dxc

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtassone View Post

Ive now played at least 8 movies since I pulled this behemoth apart and have had no lockups

But do you believe it's because you have cleaned the laser or because you moved it to another electrical curcuit?
post #45 of 88 Old 01-07-2008, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

i changed three variables so now I'll never know....

the laser looked pristine when i cleaned it ;

according to the Dps 10 .5 manual (probably same for the Onkyo)

"The DPS 10 .5 contains a microprocessor for signal processing and control functions. in very rare situations , severe interference , noise from an external source, or static electricity may cause it to lock up. In the unlikely event that this should happen , unplug the power cord from the wall outlet, wait at least 5 seconds , and then plug it back again. Alternatively , press and hold the STOP button until "Reset" appears on the display (about 10 seconds)" [sic]

I tried that several times and it didn't help with my sporadic lockups- but i noticed when i had the top removed and held the stop button at about the 40 second mark these little led lights inside the player turned on and off and I think thats when the reset occured. After that the player was as new.
post #46 of 88 Old 01-07-2008, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscull View Post

If you want to check the firmware this is the procedure:
1) Turn on the dvd. There must not be any disc in the player.
2) On the front plate, press the "Display" and then the "Video Circuit OFF" button and the release. The display will now show "SYS.XXXXX"
3) Press "Display" again. The display will now show the firmware: SYS.R. 1.XX

thanks dude

my integra says SYS R 1.21
post #47 of 88 Old 01-08-2008, 11:24 AM

Well I finally called Integra because they won't answer my emails and talked to Bob. It only took 7 min. on hold to get through, very nice. I asked Bob if there was a fix for the A/V sync problem I'm having with my DPS-10.5, and he said he never heard of that problem before......... He also said he can't find any firmware updates for that unit. Mine has F/W 1.10. He took my phone number and said he will get back with me in a day or so. Will see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #48 of 88 Old 01-08-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

quick method for calculating precise time Onkyo/Integra support will actually get back to you....

their stated time (in days)
+
number of days since high school graduation
divided by 2

hope u get the new firmware
post #49 of 88 Old 01-09-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
dxc

Quote:

i changed three variables so now I'll never know....

the laser looked pristine when i cleaned it ;

according to the Dps 10 .5 manual (probably same for the Onkyo)

"The DPS 10 .5 contains a microprocessor for signal processing and control functions. in very rare situations , severe interference , noise from an external source, or static electricity may cause it to lock up. In the unlikely event that this should happen , unplug the power cord from the wall outlet, wait at least 5 seconds , and then plug it back again. Alternatively , press and hold the STOP button until "Reset" appears on the display (about 10 seconds)" [sic]

I tried that several times and it didn't help with my sporadic lockups- but i noticed when i had the top removed and held the stop button at about the 40 second mark these little led lights inside the player turned on and off and I think thats when the reset occured. After that the player was as new.

Ok, thanks. So to reset the player, you just held the stop button(stop button on the remote or on the player?) for about 40 sec. Did "Reset" then appear on the display?
post #50 of 88 Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

if you take the top steel panel off the player, its easier to see when the internal LED lights have stopped flashing- it happened at around 40 seconds for me. I used the stop button on the player. The word RESET comes on at around the 10 second mark, and on my unit , I just held my finger on the STOP button all the time and the word reset doesn't dissapear
post #51 of 88 Old 01-10-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
dxc

Quote:

if you take the top steel panel off the player, its easier to see when the internal LED lights have stopped flashing- it happened at around 40 seconds for me. I used the stop button on the player. The word RESET comes on at around the 10 second mark, and on my unit , I just held my finger on the STOP button all the time and the word reset doesn't dissapear

Ok, thanks.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, I think I read a very bad review of the DPS 10.5 on audioreview by you. Are you still of that opinion? I think you described it as performing as well as your $150 Sony dvd player .
Was it just not configured right or what, as I can see your have kept the player for some years now?
Oh, and if you are still unsatisfied and would consider selling it, please tell me
post #52 of 88 Old 01-10-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

years ago I bought it because of the hype about its state-of-the art video performance. Yeah sure its a little bit better than the cheap players in that regard , but the edge is so miniscule , i didn't think it justified $5000 aussie dollars for a dvd player

Onkyo Integra's marketing department made it sound like the second coming I wasn't impressed with the fact that so many people here on this forum were experiencing lip synch problems and even less impressed by Onkyo's response. Its pretty disgraceful given the price point.

same thing with toshiba's first generation HD-DVD players: when they worked they were sublime but heaven help you if you were one of the 30% of people who had to endure video stuttering or freezing. Its why I defected to blu ray (and probably many others)

But i guess at the time, given that the Onkyo/Integra had excellent audio capabilities (and now that i can attest to the build quality) $5k could be considered reasonable. Its a player that should last for many years.

DVD players and TV's have become like computers in a way- why fork out $thousands for a flagship player when it will soon be made redundant by a player costing a fraction of the cost

eg any player with a silicon optix processor will outperform the Onkyo on the video side

But the search for video nirvana is never-ending! I recently bought the 1080o KURO plasma , touted to be the best flat panel in the world. Which it is . But it still can't reproduce true blacks

Ah well, at least the Onkyo/Integra's have become excellent value for money now on the second hand market. As a dvd-Audio, SACD and DVD player they're hard to beat
post #53 of 88 Old 01-10-2008, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscull View Post

Well I finally called Integra because they won't answer my emails and talked to Bob. It only took 7 min. on hold to get through, very nice. I asked Bob if there was a fix for the A/V sync problem I'm having with my DPS-10.5, and he said he never heard of that problem before......... He also said he can't find any firmware updates for that unit. Mine has F/W 1.10. He took my phone number and said he will get back with me in a day or so. Will see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may have to hit the archive, the but I think the DPS-10.5 debuted with 1.10. I want to say the FW that fixed the PC RGB problem when connected to DVI display was fixed in the first FW upgrade 1.20.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #54 of 88 Old 01-10-2008, 10:25 PM

Well now I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called Integra back to see if they were thinking of me. Bob apologized for not getting back with me as he had been sick. The engineer department did not get back with him either on my 10.5 A/V sync problem. So he said he would call me back within the hour to let me know what they found. The engineer department hooked a new one up to a receiver and could not reproduce the A/V sync problem. Case closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or that's the sense I was feeling. There is no firmware upgrade for the Integra DPS 10.5 either. I told him all I want is to know if this thing can be fixed or not. He will get back to me on that. I don't think I will be hearing from Bob again. Does anyone have a Integra CD or DVD firmware upgrade for the DPS 10.5? I would be interested in purchasing a copy of firmware 1.23 or 1.24 if there is one available. From the threads I've been checking out here at AVS Forum this has been going on for 3.5 years and I don't think anyone has had one of these things fixed yet. Onkyo's service is the worst I have encountered in my 25 years of Audio and Video hobby.
post #55 of 88 Old 02-14-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sringstad View Post

Hi again,
I just received the new firmware from a very helpful Onkyo Service Center. It is a zipped file of 15 mb and a pdf instruction. Please mail me on sringstad@gmail.com and I will send it to you. Another source in the Onkyo system has confirmed that the player is made regionfree with this procedure:

Using Onkyo remote RC-498DV or RC 484M:

Power on. No disc
Press "DV" & "1", release both at the same time
Press "return"
Press "setup" quickly
Press "9" quickly (for multi-region)
Power off

Regards
Svein

I would like to make my player region free. However, the remote that comes with the unit is RC-563DV. This does not have a button labeled "DV." Do you know a hack for the standard remote?

What is the latest FW version? Mine says 1.23, but also says software 1.22A on the monitor.

Thanks, Jeff
post #56 of 88 Old 05-28-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

the firmware Svein posted works for US units, right? (Don't want to brick it!)

Btw, internally it's labelled 1.22A.
post #57 of 88 Old 09-17-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The unit I just hooked up (new) has a firmware of 1.24. I know it has been discontinued but the SP1000 is one nice player!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #58 of 88 Old 09-17-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Also when checking the firmware it reads 1.22A just like the firmware reads in the link.

post #59 of 88 Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

And I hate to say it but after owning most of the blu-ray players released and HD DVD players I still will have to say the SP 1000 is superior in both Audio and Video!

post #60 of 88 Old 09-18-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

According to Onkyo 1.24 is the final firmware for the 1000...

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page