Kenwood Sovereign System (Changer, Entre, and Receiver) Issues and Answers - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6894 Old 02-20-2002, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have tried to install the Media Manager but I get a an error I can not figure out in the setup process. No support available from Kenwood, but thought I should check to see if anyone here had the same problem and got it solved...

I get the following error message when launching the setup script:

"The installShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. Error loading type library/DLL."

Any ideas??

Btw - I am using windows XP.

Lars Berglund
Plano, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6894 Old 02-21-2002, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

RE: The installShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. Error loading type library/DLL.

I did a google.com search for ikernel and launched. There were several hits. Here is a good one. You didn't mentione what other avenues you used to find a resolution (hence my google search suggestion). I'd guess this was not a 'Kenwood' software issue but a related one.

http://pi-at-work.com/cad/threads/tw.../thread28.html

RE: 2 Kenwood technicians and local Kenwood rep stop by my house
aauno, that is unbelievable! Meaning 'cool' and not that I don't believe you . a) Make sure you show them the "worthless" info button and how on a DVD selection it'd be nice push it and have all the "info" pop up. b) Can you please ask about multichanger support via the Entre? Can you *please* show them the look up range screen and show where it seems to let you pick from multiple changers *please*? c) Don't show them the radio interface lest they get embarassed and leave Actually with the Sirius Satellite deal they are putting forth a nice 'content' effort for which I'm thankful.

Much thanks.

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #363 of 6894 Old 02-21-2002, 08:42 AM

Carbo,

I hope this was the information you were looking for. You should be able to import multiple MP3 files, although it just builds a list and then processes them one at a time (REALLY SLOW!).

-- In media manager, on the left pane, scroll down to "My Computer"

-- click on the directory that has the MP3 files, you should see a list of files show up on the top right pane

-- right mouse click on the little box that's next to a file and select "set all"

-- right mouse click on a file name in the list and select "import tagged files"

Alternatively,

-- select File, Import Music File from the menu

-- goto the directory that contains your MP3 files

-- Ctrl+A

I have found that it's alot easier/faster if you have the CD, just let the Entre encode it.

Hope this helps!

H
post #364 of 6894 Old 02-21-2002, 08:45 AM

Lars158,

I've also come across the same issue on several Win XP machines -- I'm not sure, but I don't believe Media Manager is supported under XP. I found this bit of information on the escientconvergence website. I even tried running in compatibility mode (Win 98 and Win 2K), still didn't work.

I have emailed Kenwood & OpenGlobe -- nothing so far!

H
post #365 of 6894 Old 02-21-2002, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
hmatos,

Thanks, If you lived closer I'd buy you lunch. This is what I wanted. I already have them ripped on the PC so I thought it would be faster this way. Makes you wonder why it's so slow. It is using the ethernet after all.
post #366 of 6894 Old 02-21-2002, 02:00 PM

Carbo,

No problem, glad to help! I'm not sure why it's so slow ... I find it's faster on my Nomad Jukebox (which also uses USB) which also downloads music from a central server.

Oh well -- I seem to recall someone said the Media Manager's file transfer feature might see some improvements (some day).

H
post #367 of 6894 Old 02-22-2002, 08:00 AM

Only the local marketing rep was able to come by last night. He had one of the techs on the phone. They tried a few functions which didn't work and then replaced my entre unit. Guess what, it works! Internet radio and prerecorded MP3's can now be heard, the selection of DVD's from the entre will now actually load the DVD. We were even able to upgrade the software. Bottom line is I had a bad unit.

The bad part is all the DVD's I spent hours looking up, will need to be redone. I have 270 DVD's with 100 unknown. There goes my Saturday.
post #368 of 6894 Old 02-23-2002, 05:52 PM

For those of you wishing to have multiple kenwood changers accessible from an entre might have hope yet. I just noticed the escient fireball will have 3 RS-232 ports ...

So maybe the next generation entre will be able to interface with three kenwood changers.

Of course that does no good for existing entre owners ...

Rob
post #369 of 6894 Old 02-24-2002, 06:08 PM

Entre software 1.0.2.7 available for download.
post #370 of 6894 Old 02-25-2002, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

RE: Entre software 1.0.2.7 available for download.
Hmm...seems like a mean joke.

I go to the update menu option...I then get the following dialogue box:

----------------------------
UPDATE WARNING
This action may take a while.
Do you wish to continue?
(update button) (cancel button)

The 'update' button is *not* selectable for me from either the remote or directly using the front panel select button.

Is anyone else getting this problem?

Perhaps it doesn't work because 'update' is not an appropriate answer to the question . It is a yes or no question and not a What would you like to do? question.

Thanks!

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #371 of 6894 Old 02-25-2002, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ScottF200
RE: Entre software 1.0.2.7 available for download.
Hmm...seems like a mean joke.

I go to the update menu option...I then get the following dialogue box:

UPDATE WARNING
This action may take a while.
Do you wish to continue?
(update button) (cancel button)

The 'update' button is *not* selectable for me from either the remote or directly using the front panel select button.

Is anyone else getting this problem?

Perhaps it doesn't work because 'update' is not an appropriate answer to the question . It is a yes or no question and not a What would you like to do? question.

Thanks!

Scott:

I was very happy to read of your misfortune. Happy, because the same thing happened to me yesterday.

At first I thought the enter button was not working on the remote. But it sure responds to the cancel prompt all right.

Perhaps the software upgrade is a fix for a meaningless feature. Wouldn't be the first time.

Nick
post #372 of 6894 Old 02-25-2002, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

RE: Update button "doesn't": Perhaps the software upgrade is a fix for a meaningless feature.
I think there is some twisted irony here where the 1.0.2.7 update is to fix the fact that the (update button) doesn't work.

Of course, I'm a little concerned because as far as I know the automatic update feature never worked for me (w/I have a always on internet connection). I thought I recall others mentioning it hasn't worked for them either...to their knowledge (David if I recall).

RE: Improved auto update feature
Hmm...on the software I work on...we have a feature that lets the user control how often it runs (i.e. 1 day, 30 days, etc). What we did was provide the user a status. We kept track of when it was last performed and when it would be performed in the future (i.e. last_performed + user_input = next_time). We then displayed this for the user to see. Seemed like a good thing to our users. Perhaps Kenwood could do the same so we would know more about the auto update time. Brian, please consider. Thank you.

post #373 of 6894 Old 02-25-2002, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

RE: Entre owners and *your* multiple changer support

I just started a new thread with some basic questions related to this topic. It would behoove us *all*... (hey an Entre may be in your future and your *significant* other has just not surprised you yet .)... if you would respond. My most sincere thanks.

Kenwood Sovereign Entré current or potential owners...

post #374 of 6894 Old 02-26-2002, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Oh no! I did not have this issue and I am at the new version without any issue getting it at. (Did the manual update.) Just went to that area and did a left arrow and pressed select. DOAH!

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #375 of 6894 Old 02-26-2002, 07:42 AM

Scott & Nicholas,

Just reboot a couple of times (no joke). I had the same problem, I rebooted a couple of times and eventually it did accept "update". I had really strange issues with the 1.0.2.6 update -- I wasn't able to download it until about a week after everyone else. Something else I just remembered, I think I did a Web Sync which performs some sort of database rebuild during the syncing process (for what it's worth).

Oddly enough, I wrote to OpenGlobe and I'm not sure if it was a coincidence, but it worked the very next day.

Kenwood & OpenGlobe really should set up some sort of message board that they actively participate in -- similar to the level of support that Tivo, Replay, Audio Request, and Voyetra/Turtle Beach are providing.

Heroildo
post #376 of 6894 Old 02-26-2002, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone been listening to the Sirius Satelite Music on their Entre? It's not bad, pretty good channels. It's a good way for them to get this off the ground I guess, I would not have purchased this but now after listening to them I wouldn't mind having this in my car.
post #377 of 6894 Old 02-26-2002, 09:43 AM

Best quality "internet" radio, I've ever heard. A very nice selection too.

H
post #378 of 6894 Old 02-26-2002, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Now if they only get this(Entre) to control multiple changers, I would say it could be the best Electronic product I've ever purchased.
post #379 of 6894 Old 02-26-2002, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

...listening to the Sirius Satelite Music on their Entre

Where? I do not see a tag for it. It is listed different? HELP!!! I want to try!

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #380 of 6894 Old 02-26-2002, 11:37 AM

David,

Just select,

-- radio
-- menu/options
-- get radio stations
-- internet

It'll take a while for it to download the stations, they'll have they're own category.

Heroildo
post #381 of 6894 Old 02-26-2002, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks...Doing that now. How silly of me to think that would be an automatic process of some sort.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #382 of 6894 Old 02-26-2002, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

That is what happened to me. I didn't know they where there. I saw the advertisement in the Openglobe ads up at the top and looked in the radio only to see nothing.

The I figured why not try to reload the stations and pow.

The should use the email button to let us know what the upgrade does and how to do little things.
post #383 of 6894 Old 02-26-2002, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Carbo
The should use the email button to let us know what the upgrade does and how to do little things.

Do you mean when we press the e-mail button on the remote they should then e-mail us the features...i.e. they already have my e-mail id in my account setup in OpenGlobe? Heck wouldn't you love it if you could "opt" to get those automatically e-mailed to you...drool..drool.

Quote:

Originally posted by hmatos
Best quality "internet" radio, I've ever heard. A very nice selection too.

Buddy, I think you are not too far off there. I've complained a time or two about their radio features but I'm no longer embarassed to show this area off. The selection is good and it sounds great. Thanks Brian and "company."

BTW, thanks for the reboot advice. I did a cold boot (unplug) and then it worked. I have to remember that this thing is a darn PC and the first fix is the 3 finger salute

post #384 of 6894 Old 02-26-2002, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

I was just thinking that since they are not using the email button right now, that instead of them posting to us that it will be used in the future. That maybe they could tell us what the update that we took currently does or fixed, how to get it to work if need be(ie. reload the radio stations to get Sirius) and then tell us that it will work in the future.
post #385 of 6894 Old 02-27-2002, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Link: Kenwood Sovereign Entré current or potential owners...

>>>>>>>>
All, please understand that I would like current owners *and* seriously potential Entre purchasers to respond.

I think in the answers to A, B and C that you can state whether you are a owner or serious potential purchasers. I think Kenwood should understand both groups. They are lo$ing money from both groups.

Owners want to add another 1 or 2 DVD changers now or near future and serious potential purchasers....well want to by the Entre and 1 or more (also more later) DVD changers. It is common business sense for Kenwood and Openglobe to come through on this issue. Common consumer sense as well...i.e. many potential customers on these forums reading threads...

So come 1, come serious, but please come on. We are not talking about a lawsuit here guys/gals but we are talking about trying to let Kenwood and OpenGlobe know we are serious and help them prioritize.
<<<<<<<<

post #386 of 6894 Old 02-28-2002, 08:14 AM

New "feature", Kenwood Entre

Kenwood, OpenGlobe - -- here's a new one!

I was listening to a few MP3 files on the Entre (nothing special there, just happened to be the last CD I had encoded onto the Entre). The album finished playing -- I then pushed the Guide button to select something else. The unit locked up again (you say, SO WHAT -- it does it all the time).

Well, here's the NEW feature -- I rebooted the Entre and it rebooted okay. Except for one minor thing -- NO GUIDE! There was nothing under Music, nothing under Movies. This did happen a couple of times since 1.0.2.6, but I was able to quickly recover by simply rebooting. This was not the case yesterday! I had to perform a "Reset to Factory Defaults" -- since there's no "Rebuild Database" option.

So it's all gone,

* all cover art that was stored in the unit
* all DVD information I keyed in
* all MP3 CD information I keyed in
* all MP3 files stored on the internal drive

The only possitive, with a clean database -- the Entre seems to scroll things a little faster.

Oh Well!

H
post #387 of 6894 Old 02-28-2002, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Since 1.0.2.7. mine locks up in the open globe store browser.(Not that I use it that much). Anyone else?
post #388 of 6894 Old 02-28-2002, 11:54 AM

>> NO GUIDE <<
Don't scare me with that information! I have 100 DVD's that will need to be looked up! Last Sunday it took me about six hours to complete the process.
post #389 of 6894 Old 02-28-2002, 12:54 PM

Would I lie?

I came really close to just picking the thing up and tossing it out the window! This morning I had 85 or so DVD's which were unknown -- does not include the DVD-Audio discs. I had also created 20 MP3 discs, to compensate for,

* lack of a larger drive in the Entre
* no additional changer support

Every single one of those MP3 discs have to be re-titled.

I wish there were a way to "backup" the database.

H
post #390 of 6894 Old 02-28-2002, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking of adding an Entre to my Sovereign reciever, but the posts to this thread are scaring me. I've currently got my entire CD collection on a Macintosh with a Keyspan Digital remote. So I use iTunes to play both my local music and net radio.

The Entre seemed like a more elegant solution, but now I'm not so sure. Can anyone relate their experience with the entre vs a HTPC ?
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page