Kenwood Sovereign System (Changer, Entre, and Receiver) Issues and Answers - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 6894 Old 03-30-2002, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jon has a point. The 5900 is, by Kenwood's own design, "unique" enough that it merits its own fixes. It is set apart--again, by Kenwood's own design--by its DVD-Audio capability as well as the Faroudja processing.

Kenwood really shouldn't be saying that it will get around to addressing this issue, once it gets done with the Entre. That's the one-man-mechanic at the garage talking. Both should be getting attention now, within reason.

The really mystifying part of the UI is that it's almost as if Kenwood took the existing platforms--the Pioneer and the Sony--and set about to really making it bad. Let's face it, anyone with a changer wants to be able, at a minimum, to scroll from a list of titles. The Sony was damnably slow, though the Pioneer is great, at least in this respect. The problem with the 5900 is that it requires a byzantine set of commands just to get to the list, which should be a starting point.

Interestingly, in some of my frustrations with the Entre, I've seriously considered pitching it, and just using the 5900 daisy chained to the 5050. It's the vastly improved interface of the Entre, when compared to the abysmal interface of the 5900, that's kept the Entre in my cabinet.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6894 Old 03-30-2002, 12:32 PM

Liked: 11
Speaking of the 5900 Title List - I'd like to see a couple of changes to it and the associated NetName DV software, namely:

Using NetNamer, OSD and Front Panel:
Enter Track Titles for DVD-Audio/Video (you can only get this from DVD-Text discs now)

Using OSD:
View, select and enter track titles
Enter lowercase characters w/ keyboard

Using OSD or Front Panel:
Override title, artist and track text loaded from text disc
post #453 of 6894 Old 04-04-2002, 05:33 AM

I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen to them. A couple months ago I setup a 5900 for my uncle and it has been working well for him. I got a call the other night that it wasn't working and was making odd sounds. So I told him to unplug it and I drove over there.

Looking in through the window I saw that when it turned on the carousel tried to move but seemed to be stuck on something. I figured that someone had bumped into the changer and knocked over some disks inside (this had happened before with his old sony changer) but he insisted that no one had been near it.

I pulled the unit out and took the cover off of it. Turns out that when the player had tried to return a DVD that had been playing it missed it's slot and instead jammed it in-between 2 other discs. The empty slot it was supposed to go in was 2 slots over. So with the DVD jammed between 2 others it stuck up too far and was hitting the plastic around the carousel. I put the offending disk back in it's slot and everything worked fine.

So my question is, has this happened to any of you before? or is this just a freak occurrence?

-apnar
post #454 of 6894 Old 04-04-2002, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Apnar,

That's never happened to me. The unit has worked flawlessly since I bought it a few months ago.

Everyone,

I called up Kenwood support to complain about the UI issues, and I was pretty quickly rebuffed, with the tech saying, plainly, there will most likely never be an upgrade to the 5900M. Much more likely, they'll release a new unit with updates to the interface.

I know he's just a front-line tech, but what a horrible thing to say. I then asked him if he would forward my request to Marketing, and he said he would see what he could do. I went on to say that it's OK for KENWOOD to have a philosophy like that, but I do not think it's an appopriate tact for the Sovereign brand. Kenwood better "get" the difference, or else their "elite" brand will disappear faster than you can say "user experience."
post #455 of 6894 Old 04-04-2002, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Apnar,

I have had the same thing happen about 3 times. Each time I moved the misplaced disc and the unit operates fine afterwards (it has been at least a month between each occurence). I have been afraid that the binding would somehow damage the carousel mechanism but it seems to be okay. I am hoping this is not a design problem and will go away with more use...
post #456 of 6894 Old 04-05-2002, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Apnar,

Five months of use and no problems like what you mentioned yet.

Ken
post #457 of 6894 Old 04-05-2002, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Same here for tha it is worth.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #458 of 6894 Old 04-06-2002, 05:52 AM

I have not been able to figure the following out... When pressing the "System Power" on the remote (Poertouch III, included with the VR-5900) the Entre, VR5900 and the MX-5000 goes from standby to on. The DV-5900M DVD player is not turned on though. Has anyone been able to program the "system power" button to also turn on the DVD player, if there is a macro that can be assigned to this botton? Or alternatively, if I have configured the system incorrectly and the DVD player actually should be turned on when pressing the system on button?? Comments from anyone with PowerTouch III experience and a DV5900M would be appreciated...

Thanks

Lars Berglund
Plano, TX
post #459 of 6894 Old 04-06-2002, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Not that you want to hear this....But you just may want to leave the DVD Changer on all the time. One reason is that it wants to play the last disc that was loaded when it is turned on. (That is unless some one posted the way around this and I forgot. )

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #460 of 6894 Old 04-06-2002, 10:23 AM

Regarding the 'stuck DVD' issue with the 5900M, I've had this happen once, and it's no big deal to fix - there are a bunch of screws holding the cover in place, but once the cover is off it's easy to correct a problem. I can't say the same for the Pioneer changer - when a DVD got stuck in mine, it actually damaged the carousel drive mechanism

I was impressed by how tightly the DVDs are held in place in the 5900M - I think it's probably not necessary to take the DVDs out when transporting the unit as long as things don't get too rough in transport. Not that I'm advocating this - don't come screaming at me if you do this and end up with a changer full of loose disks
post #461 of 6894 Old 04-06-2002, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Ponziani,

Thanks for the insight... good to know!
post #462 of 6894 Old 04-09-2002, 07:23 PM

Man, what a thread!

What a great forum... and thank god. I fully expect the system to support 3 DVD changers daisy-chained. The note on the web site would have been enough for me.

Thanks to all for saving me from a very expensive mistake.
post #463 of 6894 Old 04-09-2002, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BigRed

What a great forum... and thank god. I fully expect the system to support 3 DVD changers daisy-chained. The note on the web site would have been enough for me.

Thanks to all for saving me from a very expensive mistake.

Yep, there's a lot to be said against early adoption. I assume you meant that you "fully expected" control of up to 3 changers as, I've just noticed, the Kenwood website still claims to this day.

Those sly devils.

Nick
post #464 of 6894 Old 04-10-2002, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...944#post996944

Hopefully these guys can figure out how to implement multi-changer support if Kenwood can't do it.

rather be lucky than good.
post #465 of 6894 Old 04-17-2002, 08:20 AM

David,

Since you seem to have been in communication with Kenwood (possibly a product manager there), I'd like to ask that you forward along the following letter.

Dear Kenwood,

I'm writing to request some technical information about the PC-Link functionality of some of Kenwoods CD/DVD MegaChangers.

First, a little background.

Over a year ago I was in the market to (finally) purchase a CD MegaChanger. In reviewing the offerings from various manufacturers, I came across the Kenwood CD-425M and was immediatley drawn to the PC-Link functionality it provided. The possibilities of being able to interface the changer up to a PC to name/manage/control my CD collection was a powerful draw. I bought one on the spot.

Then the disappointment of the NetNamer application set in. It was less than I had expected (granted my expectations were probably a little high). Being that I am a software developer, I was certain that an alternative could be written in my spare time that would satisfy my needs. I contacted Kenwood at that time to inquire about information regarding the serial protocol used to communicate with the device. My inquirys either were ignored or refused.

I started to write the software anyways. I have since persuaded a friend to purchase a Kenwood CD changer since he was also impressed with the functionality provided by the unit, and the usefulness of the software I was developing.

I have just purchased a Kenwood DV-5900M, again because of the technical specs and the PC-Link functionality. And again, I'm less than satisfied with the NetNamer application.

I wholeheartedly feel that it would be in Kenwoods best interest to facilitate hobbiests like myself to develop software solutions that unlock the potential of the PC-Link functionality. A small amount of effort could result in a breakthrough product for Kenwood. The sort of ground swell that could happen with people like myself evangelizing the great things that can be done with Kenwood components could lead to a true success for Kenwood. It is also something that your competitors will be forced to catch up with.

I'm simply asking for a description of the PC-Link protocol commands, and the meaning of the paramters to those commands. I don't expect Kenwood to go out of their way to support my efforts in any way other than a protocol description.

I don't think Kenwood has anything to worry about such information being misused (by a competitor or future competitor). Pioneer, Denon, etc all provide such information upon request. As for the Entre', that unit will compete on its own merits as an integrated hardware/software based device and the features it provides (MP3 playing, Internet Radio, etc). My software only solution for integration to a CD/DVD changer would be of no interest to a potential Entre' customer (they expect more, a lot more, than some hobbiest could provide).

I think Kenwood has come a long way in showing that it can be innovative in its product functionality and technical specifications. I also think that Kenwood would be well served by providing technical information that allows the potential of its products to be fully utilized. I know that myself and others would be great champions of Kenwood components when we can show off these wonderful capabilities.

I'm not alone in these thoughts, and would appreciate a response as to whether Kenwood can satisfy my request for information. Please feel free to contact me at the e-mail address below.

Robert Currey
avalonforest@centurytel.net
post #466 of 6894 Old 04-17-2002, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Letter sent on to Brian.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #467 of 6894 Old 04-18-2002, 07:36 AM

Thanks David ...

Here's hoping this time I get a response ...

Rob
post #468 of 6894 Old 04-18-2002, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Found out he is over seas...May be a few days.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #469 of 6894 Old 04-18-2002, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

how do you search within a thread? I need to find info that was mentioned about setting up a macro the stops the last disc from playing. I know a delay of a certain amount of time was mentioned. 24 pages to browse through is too many!!!!!!

post #470 of 6894 Old 04-18-2002, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sorry...No way to search just in a thread. However, when you do a search and go into a thread...your serach words are Hi-Lighted so you can stop them.

Sorry the thread is so long.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #471 of 6894 Old 04-19-2002, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I posted that. If you have a pronto its, power button, stop, delay 0.1 sec,stop.
post #472 of 6894 Old 04-21-2002, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Robert....In reply to your above letter...

---Snip---

David,

I hope everything is going well for you. I'm currently in the third of a 4 country tour. Please pass on to Mr. Curry that we have had numerous requests for the protocol and I can simply not provide support. I will consider his proposal and respond directly upon my return to the US, the week of the 29th.

Regards,

Brian

---End Snip---

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #473 of 6894 Old 04-21-2002, 07:55 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I don't believe anyone is expecting or even asking for Kenwood to support them in the use of the protocol description. We would be thrilled to have an English document describing the protocol. Failing that, I'm sure we could get a Japanese version of the document translated if Kenwood would provide one. We only need enough of a description to figure things out through experimentation.

I for one would be happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement stipulating among other things that the document is provided as-is and that Kenwood will not support it.

/jab
post #474 of 6894 Old 04-21-2002, 08:27 PM

This doesn't surprise me at all!!!! HEY KENWOOD WHY DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO OVER PAID FOR YOUR INEPT PRODUCT! You have done nothing to solve any of the issues with the player and I doubt you ever will! BUYER BEWARE! What makes me mad is when you have a group of people over and a movie starts to digital artifact and then stops altogether. Then one of your freinds says, how much did you pay for it, you answer red faced,sixteen hundred dollars, there reply,boy they saw you coming. I'll tell you one thing the next mega changer that hits the market this piece of junk goes out the window!
post #475 of 6894 Old 04-21-2002, 09:01 PM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I'm certain posts like that will give Kenwood an incentive to cooperate on this issue.

It is extremely unlikely that anything that can done using the serial protocol would assist you with your issue, which sounds more like a defective player or bad discs than anything else. If you feel this issue is prevalent, I suggest you start a poll of 5050M/5900M owners to see how many are experiencing it.

/jab
post #476 of 6894 Old 04-22-2002, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

vaha...

You are WAY off line here and I concure you may have a defective player for I have NEVER had an issue like you mentioned with over 300 loaded DVD's. Are you renting your DVD's by chance? If so...Clean them before you use them.

Hey wait....their are others units already you can buy seeing you seem to not be very happy.

If I read the above right by Brian, He may relese it but without support for it. At least he will look into it.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #477 of 6894 Old 04-22-2002, 07:21 AM

hi all,

I'm a little confused by the short note Brian sent David ...

First I read "... I can simply not provide support", then I see "I will consider his proposal and respond directly ..."

So at first glance it is a "refusal" and then its "under consideration". Hopefully when Brian gets a chance, we'll learn more.

As I wrote in the letter (and Jab reiterated) ...

"I'm simply asking for a description of the PC-Link protocol commands, and the meaning of the paramters to those commands. I don't expect Kenwood to go out of their way to support my efforts in any way other than a protocol description."

I personally have no problem with any documentation that is provided will be "as-is" and that Kenwood is not bound in any way to support it.

Rob
post #478 of 6894 Old 04-22-2002, 07:51 AM
JAB
AVS Special Member

I believe that David's interpretation is correct. Brian said he would consider releasing the document, but that he could not offer any support in its use.

I think everyone is in agreement that we hoped for nothing more and would be delighted with this level of assistance. It would place Kenwood on a level playing field with Pioneer, for example.

I'd like to thank Brian for looking into this.

/jab
post #479 of 6894 Old 04-22-2002, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

While I feel your frustration, I am sure your problem is a dirty disc. I buy lots of previewed movies and I have learned that you have to clean them before putting them in the kenwood. It's a very sensitive laser, maybe because of all the formats it can read.

The Pioneer is much more accomodating, but I don't think the 5900's lack of ability to play dirty discs is a flaw. Pioneer's next dvd player may very well be more finicky with dirty discs.

Quote:

Originally posted by vaha
This doesn't surprise me at all!!!! HEY KENWOOD WHY DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO OVER PAID FOR YOUR INEPT PRODUCT! You have done nothing to solve any of the issues with the player and I doubt you ever will! BUYER BEWARE! What makes me mad is when you have a group of people over and a movie starts to digital artifact and then stops altogether. Then one of your freinds says, how much did you pay for it, you answer red faced,sixteen hundred dollars, there reply,boy they saw you coming. I'll tell you one thing the next mega changer that hits the market this piece of junk goes out the window!

post #480 of 6894 Old 04-22-2002, 09:22 PM

They are new disc not rented. These disc have played before to perfection. Maybe I do have a defective player. One thing though, I take exception to the fact DAVID, that you said "you are way off line here" IS this not the forum where we can discuss the multiple problems of the player! If not I guess I must have misread all the other complaints. I'm not going to respond to anymore post in this manner because it does nothing to resolve any of the issues. HEY! I'm going to be just like kenwood and ignore it !
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page