Kenwood Sovereign System (Changer, Entre, and Receiver) Issues and Answers - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 6913 Old 12-02-2001, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I do not have an Entre hub, just the 5900M changer.
I just put all my media in (300+ discs), and ran the netNamerDV software.

Well, after about 3 hours of shuffling and reading, the software gave me an error on disk #372 (grrrr). It wasn't the number that was the problem, it's the reading of a DVD-V disc (in this case, American Pie).

I got an ""Run-time error '13': Type Mismatch."

When I first ran the software on a select few discs, this happened before on Toy Story I and II.

Am I the only one getting this error? I'm running version 1.3.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 6913 Old 12-02-2001, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. As Ponziani mentions, the Entre hangs quite a bit during manual DVD editing. It's hung on me at least 5 times this weekend while trying to get my collection cataloged. When the unit is hung, no keypresses from the remote register and the unit must be reset by holding down the power button for 5 seconds. Extremely annoying, and a clear sign of a product that was released too soon before it was fully debugged!

2. I retract my earlier statement about IR remote sensitivity being an issue. I fiddled with my Xantech repeater and am now getting acceptable performance. I also retract my earlier statement about slow access time with a 56K dialup connection. I must have had a bad connection at the time, because today it took about 40 minutes to look up 50 discs. Seems like a reasonable time with a 56K connection speed.

3. The Entre needs a command to drop the call when it's logged on over a dialup connection. There's already been several times I've wanted to use my computer and Entre was still logged on and occupying the phone line. Unplugging the phone line drops the connection, but that's clearly a kludge!

4. You should be able to assign genres from the Edit Disc screen!

5. If you select cover art from the Edit Disc screen it takes you back to the Guide after making your choice. If you've entered any text in the Edit Disc screen it's lost. After making a cover art selection it should return you to the Edit Disc screen. Otherwise, changing title text and cover art selection is a 2 step process.

5. I still think it was a bad design choice to not allow a connected Sovereign changer to operate independently when connected to Entre. Fix this if possible.

6. While playing BRAVEHEART last night the 5900M inexplicably stopped playing in the middle of Chapter 13. I'm not sure if this is where the layer switch is, and it choked on it. After I finished the disc, I replayed Chapter 13 and it played straight through without a problem. I didn't notice a layer change, so I doubt that's what caused the initial problem.

7. More discs that weren't found during auto lookup:

The Corruptor
Perfect Storm
Armageddon (Criterion) Disc 2
Daylight
Diehard (Disc 2)
Diehard 2 (Disc 1)
Die Hard with a Vengeance (Disc 1)
American Graffiti
Being John Malkovich
Spinal Tap (Criterion)
Dream Theater: Metropolis 2000
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same
Paris Concert: Amnesty Interational
Rolling Stones: Bridges to Babylon
Mickey Hart: Planet Drum
King Crimson: deja VROOM
Dave Matthews Band: LIstener Supported
Sessions @ W. 54th - Vol. 2
Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense
James Taylor: Live @ Beacon Theater
Steve Vai: Alien Love Secrets
Dawn of the Dead - Director's Cut
AVIA
DTS Demo # 3 and #4
Jacob's Ladder
The Thing
Army of Darkness - Disc 2 (Director's Cut)

Most of these can be found via manual search. However, there's still about 5 discs I've loaded that aren't in the DB at all. I'll post all of my titles that aren't in the DB when I get all my discs loaded.

All of these lockups I'm experiencing are REALLY annoying. This must be addressed (quickly, I hope)! I continue to be thoroughly unimpressed with the Entre, and am starting to really regret it's purchase :-(

Tom
post #33 of 6913 Old 12-03-2001, 12:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm a lucky @home user in a suburb of Chicago. I got the adapter on Friday and was going to hook it up Sat morning but at 8am-ish my internet was/is_still dead!!! Not funny.

Ahh...but the Entre provided me with the promo code for Earthlinks 30 day free search and $19.95 / month access. Yes, indeed-ee.

*After* my account was activated the Entre has worked very well accessing the internet at about 45K (per my computer and guessing what the Entre is getting). *Before* my account was activated (valid phone numbers, connected, just failed because userid was not activated), it acted strange. Would not disconnect!!! Had to pull the 3 prong-plug...ouch.

Someone mentioned it not hanging up and then they couldn't dial up with their computer. This is not happening to me. The Entre appears to hang up ok...as I connected to the computer (to type this) just fine.

Issue 1: Has someone found a way to go to the button/option yet. Bizare. I would have thought the remote button would have gotton you there.

Issue 2: Did they believe a user manual was out of the question? The only thing I got is the overview setup guide that doesn't even appear to show multiple setups (i.e. assumes component is going thru receiver vs my_case of going directly to 10HT) . Try looking up the button in that setup manual!! Perhaps I'm just missing a manual?

Issue 3: The cover art for Garth's CD - Seven - is incorrect. Now that is just not right...on many levels.

Issue 4: Unk DVDs
a) American Presidnet
b) French Kiss
c) World is not enough
d) Gone with the wind
e) Stuart Little
f) Toy Story 1

Overall this cat is cool and I'm very glad that I got it...very glad. Now I haven't hit the lock up since I haven't tried the manual edit yet...silly silly...shouldn't have to.

Perhaps I missed this but it sure seems that in several places in the Entre hub it refers to "changer 1"...which to me implies that if it does not work with additional daisy chained changer (another 5900M or another 5050M) then it seems they intended it to. Otherwise...why the designation? My gut is telling me (Nick) that this will come in a software upgrade. I hope so to so I can put my CDs in another unit.

Perhaps I missed something else...some one/people said you can't pick another CD/DVD while an existing one is playing?!? I can push the remote button to pick something else.

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me

post #34 of 6913 Old 12-03-2001, 09:18 AM

Scott,

There's a second manual that was packed in the small cardboard box with all the accessories. It's about the size of a paperback book and around 100 pages in length. It goes into fairly good detail about operation of the Entre. If you don't have this manual definitely call Kenwood as you're short an item. Glad the Entre is working well for you. I remain less than enthused with mine. It locked up on me again (during manual editing) last night after posting my last message. Grrrrr!

BTW I have a Sony 10HT too. The 5900M really presents an awesome picture on our PJ doesn't it? A clear improvement over my previous Sony 9000ES player. Even with all the bugs/issues with the 5900M/Entre, picture quality is the ultimate requirement and the 5900M really delivers there!

Tom
post #35 of 6913 Old 12-04-2001, 07:31 AM

OK, here are my DV-5900M gripes:

(1) DVD-A digital output: Although there is a menu selection to turn off PCM downconversion, when you play a DVD-A, it is automatically downconverted. This prevents the automatic input selection on any processor or receiver that defaults to digital whenever a digital signal is present (like my Lexicon MC-12) from playing the analog signal. If you have PCM downconversion turned off, it should not put out any digital signal when playing a DVD-A.

(2) You can't input track data for DVD-As, nor can you get any information from the Internet for DVD-Vs or DVD-As.

(3) You can't input information about track artists. Thus if you have a compilation album containing a track by, say, the Rolling Stones, doing a search on Rolling Stones will turn up only CDs by the Stones, and not the compilation track.

(4) You can't edit the disc information for any disc that has DVD-Text.

(5) the disc selection method that requires multiple presses of the 100+ and 10+ keys is just stupid. You should be able to select any disc by entering a 3 digit number.

(6) When loading discs, you can advance the position of the changer by 100 discs by pressing 100+, but with the door open 10+ is disabled, as are the number keys, so you can't dial in a specific position.

Now David, here's the key question: are these or any of the other issues identified in this thread even fixable in current units? In other words, is the internal software upgradeable in these units or does one have to replace ones unit once improved software is available?

Also, can someone please explain to me how the Entre interfaces with the 5900M? Let's say I find the DVD I want to watch on the Entre's display and I select it. I assume that it tells the player to start playing the disc. Does the audio and video for the disc pass through the Entre? I'd heard that the Entre doesn't have digital output, so if one is using an external decoder, this won't work. So does one have to select the disc using the Entre and then switch to another input to watch it?

Finally, the NetNamer software is pretty awful. Is the Media Manager for Entre any better?

Regards,

Robert
post #36 of 6913 Old 12-04-2001, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

rbienstock,

Item#1: And conversely, the dolby digital soundtrack and stereo CD output goes through the 5.1 analog outputs by default. Due to this, my pre-amp cannot automatically switch to the bitstream data vs. the analog.

Item#4 is sort of incorrect: While you cannot alter the text of a CD-TEXT in the OSD or LCD, you can via the NetNamerDV software.
post #37 of 6913 Old 12-04-2001, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Item#1: And conversely, the dolby digital soundtrack and stereo CD output goes through the 5.1 analog outputs by default. Due to this, my pre-amp cannot automatically switch to the bitstream data vs. the analog.

Right, you should be able to have this control. Are you saying, BTW, that your preamp automatically defaults to Analog where such a signal exists. If so, that is itself a bonehed design choice because in all cases other than DVD-A, the digital signal is the highest quality signal, and thus, IMO, should be the default. That's how the Lexicon works as well as the Pioneer receiver I have in my bedroom.

Quote:

Item#4 is sort of incorrect: While you cannot alter the text of a CD-TEXT in the OSD or LCD, you can via the NetNamerDV software.

Not quite. Although you can make the change, it doesn't stick. The next time that you access the disc or do an All Disc Read, it reverts back to the DVD-Text. I've not found a CD with CD-Text, so I don't know if that works the same way.

Regards,

Robert
post #38 of 6913 Old 12-06-2001, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok . . . I'm back to the land of the living, and I've got the Entre hooked up. Out of 330+ discs (I just had an eBay sale of over 100), it couldn't find a full 100+ discs.

While I like very much what it does do, I want to see how much of the gaps can get filled. I haven't tried David's workaround yet, but Kenwood alerted me that the Media Manager Software would be a workaround for any of the ills that now plague me.

Well, I downloaded it, but I can't get things going from there. Kenwood explained that my "library" from my Entre will be on the OpenGlobe site (or downloadable from there), and I can make corrections with the Media Manager software, including adding cover art, and doing the disc editing from my PC.

So far, though, the Media Manager software just appears to be a music based software, and when I tried to go to the OpenGlobe website, I get advertisements and career information, but nothing like a file download which is what the "help" section on the Media Manager purports to be there.

Anyone got this up and running? I only need it for movies, so I'm not concerned now about music.

By the way: if anyone ever doubted that Kenwood reads this site, be a believer. I assumed that they knew to call me Nick from a phone number that was registered, but then when I called from my work number and they called me Nick (without me telling them who it was), they know they've got the guy who still always asks about when they're going to make good on their marketing.

Any help on the Media Manager would be appreciated.

Nick
post #39 of 6913 Old 12-06-2001, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

hello guys. i have had my unit for about 2 weeks. wish i would have found this site sooner and maybe i wouldn't have bought the 5900m, then again maybe I would have

here are my complaints.

very disappointed with the interface. when you go into library, it always comes on at the same point. that means a lot of work to get to movie watching. there are at least like 10 button presses to play a movie from a category. the pioneer always remembered where it was so when you brought up the osd, it would be where ever you were last time you used it.

the keyboard defaults to upper case. to type lower case you have to hold down the shift key for every key press. there is no caps lock on the keyboard.

only 8 user defined groups. for me that is not enough. luckily i have the pioneer so i can split my groups between them.

to name a group, a disc, or categorize, you can only do it through the unit. you can't use the osd. even though you can use the osd to rename something you already input. also the interface for naming groups and discs on the unit is horrible. you have a set key and an enter key. in some steps you use one, and in some steps the other. confusing. you need to read the manual to figure it out. can very well be the engineers where counting on people using the serial connection primarly. problem for me is that i just realized my computer doesn't have a legacy serial port.

can't seem to categorize a disc with the keyboard. have to use the remote.

there is no subtitle button on remote. pioneer remote has it which is convenient because sometimes you want to turn them on to decipher what is being said. on the dvd "the band played on" there are scenes where french doctors are speaking. it is so convenient to hit the subtitle button to turn them on.

Picture is great even though I don't have a HDTV yet. That is my next purchase. Waiting to find a buyer for my 61 inch hitachi.

So can discs be recategorized after being downloaded through the entre hub? kenwood told me yes, but hey have lost some credibility after what i have read here.

by the way this player is unusable as a family unit. i still have my pioneer 727 so i am going to move all my animation and family dvds back to the 727 and keep the rest in the kenwood. my next tv is going to have two component video inputs so that should work out fine.

rather be lucky than good.
post #40 of 6913 Old 12-07-2001, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

(similar to a post on the other 5900 thread)

In thinking I'm going to keep the 5900M, I finally set up my system so that I was listening to my CDs in my unit via toslink (digital) to my B&K Ref30 pre-amp.

Well.... a new (showstopper) issue has emerged!!

When I change discs, and the new disc begins playing, I loose the first 1-3 seconds of the music due to.... something! I'm assuming that the 5900M is delaying it's TOSLink signal until after the discs starts for some reason. The result is, on only SOME discs, that I loose the first 1-3 seconds of music.

This did not occur when I was listening via the analog outputs.

Because I only have 3 days left until I can return this thing, can someone please perform this test on their unit to see if you can replicate it? Preferably, someone with a B&K Ref30...

Unfortunately, my assumption is that it's an engineering design flaw with all the units.

Any (quick) info GREATLY appreciated.
post #41 of 6913 Old 12-07-2001, 09:58 AM

Thanks for your feedback.

The CATC USB-Ethernet Adapter for the Entre' to be compatible with your cable or DSL modem is available now for sale from authorized Kenwood Sovereign Dealers or off the Kenwood website at http://www.kenwoodusa.com/frame/shop.jsp
post #42 of 6913 Old 12-08-2001, 05:32 AM

Jon,

This problem is almost certainly a B&K issue not a Kenwood problem. Your pre/pro is trying to sort out what kind of signal it is getting and it takes a second or two to do that. This is inevitable when you have one component that is capable of outputting so many different kinds of data. I don't know if the B&K is capable of using "virtual" inputs like my Lexicon, but on my pre/pro I've set up 3 different virtual inputs for the 5900, one each for DVD-V, DVD-A and CD. I've told the Lex what kind of signal to expect and effect to use on each input, so it doesn't have to guess (and guess wrong).

Regards,

Robert
post #43 of 6913 Old 12-08-2001, 07:19 AM

Entre -

Using the PC Media Manager software to transfer MP3 files to the Entre, it appears that the Entre does not recognize special characters (non-english, tilde, spanish "n", etc) in the ID3 tag information. The transfer aborts when it reaches a file with special characters in the ID3.

In other words, I have a CD that has 10 tracks

* track 2 has a special character in the ID3, "Dónde están"

* transfer stops -- you get track 2 on the Entre with either a blank name or garbage in the name

*you get no other tracks.

CD -- Shakira, Donde Estan Los Ladrones

This is not the only CD it's happened on, it just happens to be the one I'm currently fixing.
post #44 of 6913 Old 12-08-2001, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

rbienstock,

I hear ya... and what you're saying makes sense.

I want to add more comments, but I'm going to start a new thread because it may be B&K related and not Kenwood...

See you there!
post #45 of 6913 Old 12-08-2001, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Re: Entré (<--- notice this forum support of strange 'characters' ... hmm perhaps they should add UTF-8 support...and if you actually know what that is then I feel sorry for your pain.)

I've hooked up the radio (RCA only output per others help) and I've found that while a radio station is playing that I can *not* press the radio button (nor guide I believe My memory failed me and Tom (below) corrected me. 'guide' button did work! doh! ) to bring up the list and pick another. I need to pick the 'movie' or 'music' button then hit the radio button. 'Music' doesn't seem to work like this. (BTW, I'm using CATU connection not dialup).

Re: 5900M
I could not get it to play Final Fantasy at all . The changer display would say 'play' then within 3 seconds say 'stop'. First problem of playing a DVD. It was in the rental slot, BTW, as it was a rental. I then took my old Pioneer DVD player and hooked that up and watched the movie without any problem.

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #46 of 6913 Old 12-08-2001, 09:26 AM

Scott,

Try pressing the Guide button when you're at the player screen for Music, Radio, or Movies. That should take you back to the Guide for the section you're currently in.

On FF, did you try and initiate play directly from the 5900M rather than through the Entre? I had this same behavior when I first connected the Entre to my 5900M. Eventually I realized that when Entre is connected to the 5900M, you must initiate play of a disc through ENTRE (including the rental slots). If you try playing directly from the 5900M the behavior you described occurs (discs play for a few seconds and then stop). Actually, this is something I wish Kenwood would fix. If I know what disc I want to play (especially a rental slot) I shouldn't have to go through the Entre to begin playback.

Anyway, hope these work for you!

Tom
post #47 of 6913 Old 12-08-2001, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

RE: OK. The Guide button takes you to the guide when you are listening to a radio station.

Tom B, Doh! The Guide button did, in fact, work just now. I was sure I tried it before. Just verified now. Seems odd that the Radio button would not ... yet you can press the Music or Movie button.

RE: Final Fantasy (FF)
Tom B, now you have me full of self-doubt...but I almost always select from the guide. In fact, when I put FF in rental slot 1, the Entre automatically went off to look it up on the internet. WHY? Seems like a user interface problem to me. If I have a borrowed DVD case or a rented DVD case in my hand and I take it out and put it in 1 of the 3 rental slots...shouldn't it ask me if I want to look it up. Likely not, since I have the case in my hand . So, I believe that I did use the Entre guide. I also believe that I have used the dedicated play button to play a DVD that I just put in a rental slot.

I also wholeheartedly agree that if you put a rental DVD in that you should be able to push the dedicated rental play button for that rental slot to play it. Hmmm....they advertise that this is a user interface feature after all (and makes great sense). Seems like the integration for that was not thought out fully?

? Debugging question: The FF was not found by OpenGlobe/Entre. Were your DVD examples found when you experienced the same thing you described (had to use guide)? I ask because what if there is a bug where the logic path (flag set wrong, etc) fails when the DVD is not found by OG/Entre

RE: 1.0.0.2 upgrade ?
I just noticed this '.2' when I'm sure it was '.1' before. Sounds like I got an auto update. Is there "release" notes (fixes / changes) described somewhere?

RE: Problem descriptions to Kenwood developers
I'm wondering who the Entre developers are able to use all this information? Are we providing them enough details/steps that lead up to the problem? Are we describing our setup enough that they can start putting a matrix together to see commonalities between us...where one person does not experience the same problem as another (where not user error)?

RE: Equivalent debug mode showing "WINIPCFG" info?
Why because I'm curious as to what my DNSes look like. The Entre (radio) is currently working but my 2nd computer is not. This after I hardcoded my ISP (ATTBI) DNSes in my Nexland router to get by their current performance problems. Also with this information I may know if the LAN version of ExtraDNS (excellent shareware) is working properly.

RE: ScottF200 setup: I own the Entre and 5900M only. I'm currently hooked up to a Pioneer Rec and a 10HT using component output. I'm using CATU which is connected to a NexLand router/hub (Pro 800 eight port).

post #48 of 6913 Old 12-08-2001, 03:12 PM

ScottF200,

Regarding the winipcfg-like information -- try

* Setup
* Utilities
* System Information

H
post #49 of 6913 Old 12-08-2001, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

RE: Available DNS infor like from PCs WINIPCFG

hmatos, Thanks for the response. I am confused, however. In my question I asked about DSNes. These exist in WINIPCFG. I don't find those anywhere in the Entre. The dynamic IP address (192.168.0.3) I know because my NexLand router assigns it and I can see the Entre's IP by looking at the NexLand router directly. The Gateway is just the the NexLand routers IP (192.168.0.1). Did you find the DNSes? I looked at the manuals as well but didn't see anything. Thanks.

post #50 of 6913 Old 12-09-2001, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 45
No DNS info can be found. Don't know why you need to see it though. If the Entre acquired the IP and router info via your DHCP server, it would have received the same info that your PC's receive for DNS. I think you need to look at that PC for software issues. Just my guess. (Please do not let this get into a PC fix talk in this thread. )

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #51 of 6913 Old 12-09-2001, 05:38 AM

Scott,

FWIW, Final Fantasy plays fine on my 5900. I'd guess that you got an abused rental disc.

Regards,

Robert
post #52 of 6913 Old 12-09-2001, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

RE: DNS info
David, thanks for the confirmation. BTW, the hub is a PC . It is more than just my current kids PC issue. I wanted to use the LAN version for ExtraDNS to point to my main computer (192.168.0.2) as the DNS server. For this I would override the DNSes info in the Hub, although I don't know, if I have to then specify 'everything' as if it was a static IP. In any event, I deal with this in another thread or on my own since it would not likely be a great interest to all. I can understand that.

RE: Final Fantasy
rbienstock, thanks for confirming it worked OK for you. It was either the sequence of steps I took that caused my problem or what Tom mentioned where the Hub wants to be 'in control'. I think think that because if played fine on my Pioneer DVD player.

RE: Rental dedicated 'play' work or need 'guide'?
Can you guys confirm or not if you need use the Hub and guide to 'play' DVDs in the rental slots? Do the dedicated play buttons on the front of the 5900M work, OK? I was sure I've used them in the past? Oh...I bet what I must be remembering is simply the period of time that I only had the 5900M and the Hub had not arrived yet.

Thanks much all.

post #53 of 6913 Old 12-09-2001, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

final fantasy was the first disc i ever played on the 5900. played fine. we are talking about the porno edition right :-)

someone mentioned that you can name a disc through the osd on the 5050. has anyone verified that? I can't seem to be able to do it on the 5900 but they should be the same. haven't tried a cd yet.

post #54 of 6913 Old 12-09-2001, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

RE: Rental dedicated 'play' work or need 'guide'?
Doh! It just dawned on me why they are stopping rentals from being played directly from the changer and it's panel play buttons.

WHY? For parental control, of course. You wouldn't want little johnny to come home with his friend jack who 'borrowed' jack's dad's "adult DVD" and come play it on the big screen!!

BUT...it seems like they really errored on the side of caution here BECAUSE I don't have any parental controls set up (yet, I do have two curious boys!). I'm using the first option (named X oddly enough if I recall) which means there are NO parental controls over what the hub can play.

SO...it would seem if I state 'no parental controls' that they should allow the front panel rental play buttons to WORK.

Did you guys already come up with this theory or request and I just missed it?!?

It seems I'm reading everything but there are a lot more questions than answers so that means that either people are not responding or do not know or that there are private conversations going on.

post #55 of 6913 Old 12-09-2001, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

RE: 1.0.0.2 upgrade ?
In the Connect and Setup Guide, there was a single halfsheet of paper called 'Welcome to Kenwood Sovereign'.

"...Entre is a dynamic product. Software udpates will allow Kenwood and OpenGlobe to provide new functions and capabilities. For the latest information and instruction manual updates regarding your new Entre, go to the Tips and Insallation section of the Kenwood USA Web site at:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/sovereign/latest_tips "

This is where I would have guessed the description of the new releases would be. Anybody ever get to that site?? I get 404 error message. Now either I can not type or the author of that halfsheet can not. Potentially they will read or get wind of this and perhaps remember that task item on the project plan.

post #56 of 6913 Old 12-13-2001, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

okay, i know most of you are using the entre or netnamer to name your discs, but finally figured out how to do it via the osd.

you can't select a specific userfile when you go into library, you have to select all and from that menu you can name them.

post #57 of 6913 Old 12-13-2001, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

My 5900 changer is having problems reading a CD-R I made. Any insight into why this may be happening?
post #58 of 6913 Old 12-13-2001, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not sure if this will work . . . attaching a ProntoPro image. We'll see.

Anyway, I've been quite frustrated with either my stupidity at needing both the Entre and the DV-5900M remote (select with the Entre, but then control with the DV-5900), or Kenwood's stupidity. I can't figure out if it's because I'm dumb, or they just made stupid remotes.

In any case, I've figured out the essential--for now--keys from both remotes that would go on one Pronto page. I've attached it. Don't remind me of its lack of subtlety, but it's getting the job done for now. The top half is the Entre, the bottom is the 5900.

I'd encourage any Pronto users out there to improve on what I've done, and help us to cure the problems that Kenwood stupidly created (there, I've blamed Kenwood).

Hope this attachment appears, or works.

Nick
LL
post #59 of 6913 Old 12-14-2001, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hi All...

Well I am happy to say I have been in close contact with the people at both Kenwood and OpenGlobe. I can assure you that they do read the site and the issues being raised by us great early adopters are being looked at. Now I am not talking to just the support line...but product managers and the people who can really answer the questions we have had. The great news, is they approached me because of this site.

I say early adopters because this it is just that. This is the first consumer product that has such interconnectivity with such great potential. Yes, it has some issues...and yes, some of the issues can be taken care of via software updates. In fact, some already have as a direct result of the members of this forum with more to come!

Some are quick fixes that can be made. Some take a lot more time and requires both companies to work together. The relationship is just that...a relationship. Kenwood and OpenGlobe are in a relationship for this product. So, if Kenwood wants feature X in the Entre, then OpenGlobe being a provider for Kenwood needs to work with them to see if it can be done and iron out things like costs. Just like any business relationship.

Some items slipped though the cracks as with almost any product being put to market. However, they are being resolved and they are committed to working on the issues. How quick will this happen? Some things quickly as has already taken place. Others require....well you know.

What I can say right now...It WATCH for the reports from CES on where OpenGlobe is going with all this. It should be great news. I will be at CES as well as some of you...so, looking forward.

Ok...Down to some things I do know...

OpenGlobe Related....

The database is being worked on to be able to find more of the DVD's that ARE in their system. They are cross linking the 4x3's with the widescreen which will help a great deal.

The Movie Description Information that you can see in the edit screen should be, down the road, able to be pulled up via the INFO button. Please note however, items like this will take a back seat to bigger issues like the random lockups.

Random Lockups....This is being looked into as a network issue...seeing it is so random, it is very hard to locate. I for one can not make it happen all the time and I am one heck of a tester.

Push the OpenGlobe Button and you will see that it is going to be used for some great things to come down the road. It works now, but is said be be even better soon. (not a bug, just mentioning.)

The Auto STOP when trying to use the DVD Changer without Entre....Being looked into and considered the reason for it. (I hated this as you know.)

DVD nav controls not passing through with the Entre remote when you have selected a DVD...Not sure on this one I am sorry to say.

No way to edit the Genre. It is being looked into is all I know.

Kenwood Issues....

The 3 second layer change....It is being looked into overseas by the engineers. How long will this take to get a response on it...I do not know but I am surely looking for one.

Data not being passed from the Entre to the Changer for changer panel TEXT display. Not considered a bug, for it was not intend to have done so. Pity. However...it maybe looked into to be added down the road.

Entre Multi Changer Support....This is also being looked into and plans are being made to make this work as intended. However, this will not be a short process for it involves, from what I can see, both hardware and software. I would think they want this to work for it would only drive more sales for both the people who need to add a unit or two and to people on the "fence" with large libraries.

So all-in-all we are being heard. So, lets keep the information constructive vs destructive, for things are getting done.

BTW...OpenGlobe is a stand alone company providing OEM services to several vendors. It is a relationship between them and their customers...thus please do not say things like look at the Compaq and you will see nothing will get done. That is not the case for it is a two way street between the companies. Kenwood is working very hard with OpenGlobe on these issues and concerns and things are getting done.

Here to the future!

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #60 of 6913 Old 12-14-2001, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by David Bott

Entre Multi Changer Support....This is also being looked into and plans are being made to make this work as intended. However, this will not be a short process for it involves, from what I can see, both hardware and software. I would think they want this to work for it would only drive more sales for both the people who need to add a unit or two and to people on the "fence" with large libraries.

So all-in-all we are being heard. So, lets keep the information constructive vs destructive, for things are getting done.

Here to the future!

Well, ok, as far as this goes. But there is a limit to this notion of constructive criticism. And, while I will not burden the Forum with anything but the highlights of what I do from here, some things need to be pointed out.

It is one thing for Kenwood to say that things aren't working as they intended, and that, on the changer issues, it will take time and it could be hardware, could be software. While that could be the ruminations of the manufacturer that's willing to tackle the issues, it also could be the evasiveness of a manufacturer that's not willing to commit to anything.

At the same time, as of three days ago (and possibly today) it was still up on Kenwood's website that the Entre controls "up to 3 . . ." (the word changer is cut out . . . but the meaning is clear).
So Kenwood is still telling the unwary that the Entre hub will control more than one changer, even though they now undisputably know that it doesn't.

A cynical person would say that Kenwood is permitting these misrepresantations to persist, because, hey, not many fanatics out there really own over 400 discs, and they'll never really care, or even discover the misrepresentation.

A cynical person would say that Kenwood is telling you, David, the things it wants us to hear, but that Kenwood won't come out and say it themselves. A cynical person would say that Kenwood realizes it can't be reproached for misrepresentations that it didn't publicly make, but told to someone on the q-t, to "pass along" to the public.

I'm all for maintaining a cooperative relationship with the manufacturer, but I've reached the end of my rope with the multiple changer issues. I'm using the DV-5900, I'm using the Entre Hub, but I didn't get what I paid for, and what Kenwood advertised. Sure, Kenwood can say that it made an honest mistake, but it continues to mislead people with its website advertisements, and all the marketing materials out there.

So, Kenwood will hear from me. If they want to send me a PM, and obtain my phone number (although they have it--they know me when I call before I announce my name), I'll certainly be willing to listen to anything they have to say. But I, for one, will not be appeased with the continued noncommital of Kenwood, and these messages of hope whispered to others. I want to know now whether I bought this menagerie in vain.

Sorry, had to say it.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page