Kenwood Sovereign System (Changer, Entre, and Receiver) Issues and Answers - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 6894 Old 06-23-2002, 02:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's easy to do - I would try to get the dealer to send a kit and authorize you to do the fix. Definitely don't want to void the warranty on these mechanical type units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6894 Old 06-25-2002, 04:00 AM

Liked: 10
I talked with a Kenwood training rep about the hardware fix for the entre to control three 5900m players. He stated that it was the number one question asked and that he thought that the fix would be announced at CEDIA in mid-September.

He also said that within the next several days there would be a download which would permit the entre to interface with more usb ethernet devices.
post #633 of 6894 Old 06-26-2002, 12:21 PM

My dealer (Brent TV in Torrance) came out yesterday and installed the "buzz" fix - pretty simple - he just added a couple of stick on felt pads. I don't know why you couldn't do it yourself if they sent you the pads. I'm happy now - no real issues left since I don't use the Entre.
post #634 of 6894 Old 06-28-2002, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

i just read over in the kenwood forum at the Spot that one of those kenwood survey people called a registered user and after taking down his complaints (same as listed here) told him that this summer a flash update will be made availabe that will be applied through the serial port. this person also told him that the speed issue when starting a dvd will be addressed in the next generation player.

rather be lucky than good.
post #635 of 6894 Old 06-29-2002, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Still not great. The fact that the article exists is what's troubling. Cedia, with its upgrades, better get here quickly.

http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....y=breakingNews

Nick
post #636 of 6894 Old 06-29-2002, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

A related rumor is what has kept me from investing in a 5900M or 5050M. The fact that the rumor coincided with a price drop was not encouraging.

Ken Elliott
post #637 of 6894 Old 06-29-2002, 07:38 PM

Alright, what rumor, what price drop, why is the Kenwoodusa site not working. Panic, fear, oh me oh my.
post #638 of 6894 Old 06-29-2002, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

This rumor.

I was hoping that "Pete" would have been a little more forthcoming.

Ken Elliott
post #639 of 6894 Old 06-29-2002, 08:04 PM

OK, I saw the rumor, no big deal, the economy in Japan is in the toilet, as is the US stock market. Of course there will be cutbacks. Could be a good chance to pick up a lot of equipment cheap, except the US dollar is falling against most currencies.

What price drop? I did see that Crutchfield has listed the 5900m for $1,199, which is $200 per changer less than I paid for my two just one month ago (at a real AV store, not on-line).
post #640 of 6894 Old 06-29-2002, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The price drop was from about $1399 to $1199 about 1 month ago. Crutchfield is an authorized Kenwood dealer, perhaps the only one on the Internet. Their price is usually the same as most AV dealers, i.e., not discounted, but they have an excellent return policy.

Their price matches the Good Guys in-store price, Good Guys only discounts a few advertised items or has a 10% off sale regularly. GG is one of the few authorized dealers in S. Cal. and only carries the 5900M as a special item, i.e. 50% restocking charge.

Ken Elliott
post #641 of 6894 Old 06-30-2002, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
He may have been referring to this Twice News Article but never mentioned it. But it reads their is no issue and support is continuing.

I know they are looking to do something at CEDIA with the new firmware release.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #642 of 6894 Old 06-30-2002, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Some good CEDIA Kenwood product announcements and product updates would be welcome and go a long way torwards dismissing any rumors.

The real question is what is considered to be an "underperforming sales subsidiary" as mentioned in the article.

Ken Elliott
post #643 of 6894 Old 07-01-2002, 11:36 AM

Hello everyone. I have been following all of the Kenwood threads at this wonderful forum for over 6 months. It has been an extremely valuable resource. With that being said, I need some advice.

I am beginning to rebuild my entire entertainment system from the ground up. I want to start with a DVD/CD megachanger. I have been drooling over the DV-5900M for 6 months and now I have an opportunity to get one. The question is, should I? My major concerns are the 3 second layer change, the first few seconds of audio CDs not being played and the eject disc mechanism failing.

It will be used mostly for audio cd storage and just popping a DVD into a rental slot when I want to watch a movie. I'm not interested in the Entre Hub at this point. It will be connected to my old Sony STR-DE915 amp for audio until I can afford to upgrade to the Pioneer VSX-49TX later this year. It will also be connected to my 35" Panasonic TV via S-Video. I won't be upgrading my TV anytime soon since I cannot receive any High Def signals in my part of Colorado for god only knows how long.

I think this unit would be a great start to building my new system. I would just like to know if good really does outweigh bad and if there is any chance that the bad might be fixable soon. Mostly the layer change issue.

I have not heard of anything from any other company about a product that even comes close to doing what the 5900 can in the near future. Has anyone?

I want this thing so bad, but at the same time, I just know Pioneer will release a monster a few months later if I buy now.

Dang, I didn't mean to ramble on for so long.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bob
post #644 of 6894 Old 07-01-2002, 08:24 PM
Olv

Hi AVS guys - this forum is great btw...

Here is a quick question: did anybody of you try to use the entre/dv5900 with another automation system? can I control the entre using a serial interface from a automation system?

best,
Olv
post #645 of 6894 Old 07-01-2002, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I think some are doing it with Girder and other software on the HTPC forum.

Ken Elliott
post #646 of 6894 Old 07-02-2002, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are not going play dvd-audio why don't you get it's cheaper sibling the 5050? I think you can get that one for $800 now.

That being said, you can't miss what you never have experienced. Since you want to upgrade several components over time, I would replace the player last so you can see what the competition is going to do.

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob_422
Hello everyone. I have been following all of the Kenwood threads at this wonderful forum for over 6 months. It has been an extremely valuable resource. With that being said, I need some advice.

I am beginning to rebuild my entire entertainment system from the ground up. I want to start with a DVD/CD megachanger. I have been drooling over the DV-5900M for 6 months and now I have an opportunity to get one. The question is, should I? My major concerns are the 3 second layer change, the first few seconds of audio CDs not being played and the eject disc mechanism failing.

It will be used mostly for audio cd storage and just popping a DVD into a rental slot when I want to watch a movie. I'm not interested in the Entre Hub at this point. It will be connected to my old Sony STR-DE915 amp for audio until I can afford to upgrade to the Pioneer VSX-49TX later this year. It will also be connected to my 35" Panasonic TV via S-Video. I won't be upgrading my TV anytime soon since I cannot receive any High Def signals in my part of Colorado for god only knows how long.

I think this unit would be a great start to building my new system. I would just like to know if good really does outweigh bad and if there is any chance that the bad might be fixable soon. Mostly the layer change issue.

I have not heard of anything from any other company about a product that even comes close to doing what the 5900 can in the near future. Has anyone?

I want this thing so bad, but at the same time, I just know Pioneer will release a monster a few months later if I buy now.

Dang, I didn't mean to ramble on for so long.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bob

post #647 of 6894 Old 07-02-2002, 11:00 AM

My biggest problem right now is that I am in desperate need of more storage capacity. My old Pioneer PD-F1004 100 disc player just isn't getting the job done anymore. I would like to be able to play DVD-Audio in the near future as well. The other option I was considering was picking up a Pioneer PD-F1009 (300+1 CD capacity) for $250 now, and sit back and see what the competition does. That is, unless the 5900M is good enough "as is" and the few minor quirks are things that might be fixable. I just can't decide what to do. I've been debating this with myself for so long that I can't think straight anymore...lol
post #648 of 6894 Old 07-02-2002, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

unless you are using mp3 discs, i think the 5900 is too slow for music. i have never played cds on it, but if it takes just as long as it does to get a dvd started, the random feature would be useless for listening to music.

if your tv only has s-video I would just wait. Get yourself the cheap jukebox and a cheap dvd player. i think the 5900 is overkill for just music unless you want to enjoy dvd-audio, especially if you can't even take advantage of the component video.

post #649 of 6894 Old 07-02-2002, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'd have to agree with Slocko. If your primary need is CD playback, I would look at the Pioneer (and maybe the new Sony that does MP3 - CDP-CX455). While the Kenwood has a beautiful picture for DVD's, it will not overwhelm you with the disc management features (without the Entre).
post #650 of 6894 Old 07-02-2002, 02:58 PM

Thanks guys. I didn't know that the Kenwood would be that bad for CD playing. I was just hoping it would be a nice "all in one" unit so I could try to cut down on the number of components and wiring mess in my cabinet, and have something with all it's features and abilities to build on as I upgrade my amp and tv. I guess I will go get the Pioneer in 2 weeks and then just sit and wait to see what happens this Fall/Winter. If something better does come along that meets my needs, I can always sell the Pioneer and get some money back.

Thanks again,
Bob Stanley
post #651 of 6894 Old 07-03-2002, 08:10 PM

Hi all,
I just purchased the 5900M and the entre. I have put 7 new discs into the unit, two of which the player says are not readable. The 5900M is a recent crop just obtained from Kenwood and is reported as just arriving here from overseas since Kenwood was previously out of stock. This info came from the factory rep who I spoke with who said that it was the most recent verison. The discs are also new and clean. Is there anyway around this? Could someone please summarize what is know about this problem. Should I get a new one or just give up and return it for my money. Thanks
post #652 of 6894 Old 07-04-2002, 11:21 AM
Olv

Are your Disks CDs or DVDs?
Regular pressed ones or CD-r/CD-RW/DVD-R/DVD-+RW?

Where did you buy the unit?

Check your return policy,
if you disks are regular pressed ones,
clean, etc - then it looks to me like the unit is defective.
-olv
post #653 of 6894 Old 07-04-2002, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

The 5900 is hyper-sensitive to any scratches or smudges on the play-side of the DVD disc. There have been several which, after "shining up" a bit, have then played or lost the unreadable disc message.

Some, however, never do, and despite the fact that the disc will play fine in other players, still gives the 5900 a headache.

Take a look at the disc's condition, and, if it's even a little bit smudged, that is probably what accounts for your answer.

Nick
post #654 of 6894 Old 07-05-2002, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi all-

Great info on the Sovereign stuff here. I am going to be hooking everything up this weekend (Entre/ DV5900/VR5700) and I wanted to ask about connections. There are several ways I can hook things up. In my theater I have a Sony D50 projector (for main screen) as well as a 29" NEC data/video montitor (for the ultimate picture-outside-of-picture.) I want to hook up to the projector using progressive component for the best picture. I was wondering if the picture is compromised when it is passed thru the Entre? Does the Entre create progressive scan GUI screens? I do not want my projector to have to switch between video memories every time the OSD on the Entre comes on and off (if that switches the output frequency.) It may be possible to hook up the Entre S-video output to my 29" monitor and the component output of the DVD changer directly to the projector input. In that set-up I would use the 29" for the Entre control screens and watch the DVD once it is playing on the projector. I only want to do this if it will really be better, since I do not want to complicate things too much for my family. What do you think?
post #655 of 6894 Old 07-05-2002, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mikemav
I want to hook up to the projector using progressive component for the best picture. I was wondering if the picture is compromised when it is passed thru the Entre? Does the Entre create progressive scan GUI screens?

It's a static image. I use my DV5900 in its interlaced mode, through the Entre (I don't need the progressive scan because it gets fed to a Faroudja NRS 720p processor). But I sometimes look at it on the s-video input of my RPTV Hitachi (I usually use a NEC CRT projector) and it looks fine. I wouldn't worry a bit about it.

Quote:

I do not want my projector to have to switch between video memories every time the OSD on the Entre comes on and off (if that switches the output frequency.) It may be possible to hook up the Entre S-video output to my 29" monitor and the component output of the DVD changer directly to the projector input. In that set-up I would use the 29" for the Entre control screens and watch the DVD once it is playing on the projector. I only want to do this if it will really be better, since I do not want to complicate things too much for my family. What do you think?

Although I'm not doing what you're proposing, I suppose I could. The component video outputs from the Entre go to my NEC projector/Faroudja combination. The s-video outputs go to a RPTV (through an A/V preamp). Both are active at the same time, so I don't think there is any need to switch between them. If I turn both on at the same time, the same image is fixed on both, one through the component, the other through the s-video.

However, there is little to be gained in using the monitor for the OSD. The OSD from the Entre reads fine across my large screen (107" wide x 60" high). One of the main problems with the Entre/DV-5900 ensemble is a clunky user interface. After you highlight a selection on the Entre and press enter on the remote, you've got time to fix yourself a quick drink before you actually get a dvd playing. I don't know why you'd want to add to that process by injecting a different monitor into the mix.

Nick
post #656 of 6894 Old 07-05-2002, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info Nick. One more question. When the DVD does (eventually) start playing, and the Entre OSD goes away, if the DVD output is progressive (unlike your set-up) wouldn't you think this would confuse the projector momentarily? That is, if the static image from the Entre is not progressive and the DVD pass-thru is progressive? That was what I was worried about.
post #657 of 6894 Old 07-05-2002, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I see what you're saying. I used to have a D50Q, and I'm wondering if it's like my NEC, i.e., its memory corresponds to the input? That is, if you have it set up for a 480p memory, it will automatically switch to that once it detects that as the input?

I'm trying to think, however, why the Entre would output a signal at anything differently than what was going into it? I'm betting that the signal it puts out is the same as goes into it. If so, that would solve your problem, since there would be no switching involved.

Nick
post #658 of 6894 Old 07-05-2002, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mike,

You are right the signals are different and the Monitor/projector will have to switch between them. On my set you see momentary switch. But you could do what you are saying and use a different monitor and eliminate the switch.
post #659 of 6894 Old 07-05-2002, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

i ran into the unreadable disc problem again. it happened around 3pm and i turned it off and left it alone till 10pm. the problem still persisted.

i did notice one thing. during this problem the eject mechanism completely stopped working. usually i can hear the player trying to push out the disc out of the slot (even though it doesn't work for me). during this problem the player was silent everytime i pressed eject if the disc was out of the center already. after playing with it a while i finally heard the mechanism try to eject the disc out of the slot. after i heard the sound i tried to play a disc again and the problem was gone.

i am beginning to think they might be related in some way. maybe the reason it can't read the disc is that it's misaligned inside the center somehow. I imagine that the mechanism that puts the disc in the center is the same one that ejected it and pushed it out to be grabbed. maybe it's getting stuck somehow at random intervals.

post #660 of 6894 Old 07-07-2002, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll check from time to time on whether certain disc information has made its way to OpenGlobe. In this case, the disc I was looking for was "From Hell," the new Jack-the-Ripper exposition (title actully comes from a letter attributed to ol' Jack--pretty decent flick).

In any case, it wouldn't or couldn't look anything up, because I supposedly could not log in to OpenGlobe. I have internet connectivity, as I then went directly to OpenGlobe to look up some cds. Rebooting the Entre didn't help.

This only happened today. Anyone else try looking up a disc, or ever have that message before?

Thanks,

Nick
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page