Kenwood Sovereign System (Changer, Entre, and Receiver) Issues and Answers - Page 230 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6871 of 6894 Old 05-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken2321 View Post

Still using my entre and dv5050, ive recently hooked up the changer to onk 3008 and wow,what a difference that made upscaling! I wont be getting rid of that till it finally dies on me lol. I was looking at the sony bluray changer but i wouldnt like the idea of manually labeling all my disc as my only internet option is dialup, and sony i dont think has that option on thier changer. But glad found this thread.

I am surprised the Entre will work with the new receiver. I have been postponing getting a new HDMI/Audio Codecs receiver as I thought I would loose the functioning of the Entre. Do you still get the ability to categorize your CDs, DVDs, as you wish?

I have the 5900 receiver. I think the 5050 has the same upscaling chip. Is that correct?

Do you like the sound of your new 3008 as well as the 5050? I just assumed you were referring to the video quality comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6872 of 6894 Old 05-07-2011, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

I am surprised the Entre will work with the new receiver. I have been postponing getting a new HDMI/Audio Codecs receiver as I thought I would loose the functioning of the Entre. Do you still get the ability to categorize your CDs, DVDs, as you wish?

The Entre works fine with modern receivers. I'm using a Denon AVR-4810ci and it works well. You need to run analog audio cables if you want to listen to audio files stored in the Entre, and I run digital cables for audio from the DVD's. I no longer use the Entre to play music (but tested the function when I installed the new receiver), but I do use the full capabilities of the Entre's DVD library manager.

Dave
post #6873 of 6894 Old 05-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm55 View Post

The Entre works fine with modern receivers. I'm using a Denon AVR-4810ci and it works well. You need to run analog audio cables if you want to listen to audio files stored in the Entre, and I run digital cables for audio from the DVD's. I no longer use the Entre to play music (but tested the function when I installed the new receiver), but I do use the full capabilities of the Entre's DVD library manager.

Dave

I haven't bought anything but BRs in about a year and not a lot of them. Are you still able to access the internet and pull in album covers and info. from Open Globe?

Thanks again for the information. I'm excited about being able to still use my legacy equipment (changer & Entre).
post #6874 of 6894 Old 05-11-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:

I have the 5900 receiver. I think the 5050 has the same upscaling chip. Is that correct?

Do you like the sound of your new 3008 as well as the 5050? I just assumed you were referring to the video quality comparison.

I never got the 5900 as the store i got my 5050 and entre went out of buisness before i could get the reciever so i stuck with my old onk sv515,so not familiar with what the 5900 could do for the entre. The only categorize i did was with entre which did it on its own.

I love the sound of the 3008! Plus upgrading from a near 20 yr old reciever the differences were night and day.the upscaling on the video is excellent, as with the audio. Am only using composite cable so far as havent figured out how to assign digital optical cable on the 3008. lets just say the tech on these recievers grew by leaps and bounds in 20 years,sadly my brain hasnt, kinda overwhelmed going from a 20 page manual for my old reciever to a 120pg one! but im getting there
post #6875 of 6894 Old 05-11-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:

I haven't bought anything but BRs in about a year and not a lot of them. Are you still able to access the internet and pull in album covers and info. from Open Globe?

Thanks again for the information. I'm excited about being able to still use my legacy equipment (changer & Entre).

Openglobe still works fine for getting all your music and movie information on the entre.
post #6876 of 6894 Old 05-12-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm55 View Post

Dave

Thanks dave, i was wondering why i couldnt get sound from entre and dvd changer using optical from dvd to entre to my onkyo 3008, i switched the optical going from dvd changer to entre directly to my onk and used analog for entre and it works great!!! Wonder why the optical out on entre wouldnt work hmm.
post #6877 of 6894 Old 05-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken2321 View Post

Thanks dave, i was wondering why i couldnt get sound from entre and dvd changer using optical from dvd to entre to my onkyo 3008, i switched the optical going from dvd changer to entre directly to my onk and used analog for entre and it works great!!! Wonder why the optical out on entre wouldnt work hmm.

Ken, I'm not following you. Before I get a new receiver I want to understand the connection.

1. optical from changer to entre and optical from entre to onkyo doesn't work T or F
2. analog for entre from where and to where?
3. are you using both optical and analog?

Maybe I got it: you are using optical from changer to onkyo and analog from entre to onkyo?

Please help.
Thanks

Did you run
post #6878 of 6894 Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 AM

Thats exactly what i did, i ran optical from kenwood dv5050 to opt1 on the onk,for video on dvd i ran component from dv5050 to entre then from entre to bd/dvd input on onk.for the music on entre i ran regular analog from playout on entre to bd/dvd analog input on onk. works good for me. Hopefully that helped you out somewhat
post #6879 of 6894 Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 AM

Newbie, does anyone know how to get music from entre HD to PC.
post #6880 of 6894 Old 06-17-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroprof
If you are looking to copy the mp3's off of Entre's hard disc via FTP, that is not going to be an easy task. The file system scatters files everywhere. The entire folder structure runs extremely deep from what I recall. Depending on how much music you want to copy and if your unit is still functional, it would be far easier to just burn the music onto cdr's. I am not saying it is impossible to do what you want but you would have to sort through Entre's file system to find each file.

Danny
post #6881 of 6894 Old 10-06-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroprof View Post

Using Ftp go to 7.06/media on your entre, and you should find the mp3's

If your collection is that big perhaps burning to BD-RW's, which is what I did for a friend, who upgraded his entre's HDD to 250GB's, via my firewire 800 blu-ray burner, then copied them to his PC's HDD
post #6882 of 6894 Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnygothisgun View Post

Using Ftp go to 7.06/media on your entre, and you should find the mp3's

If your collection is that big perhaps burning to BD-RW's, which is what I did for a friend, who upgraded his entre's HDD to 250GB's, via my firewire 800 blu-ray burner, then copied them to his PC's HDD

Shame to waste 130GB.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #6883 of 6894 Old 12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

I have a new Onkyo. It does not have a digital (optical or coax) out which was connected on my retiring Sovereign Receiver to the Entre (or the Sovereign Changer, can't remember). Does anyone know how to work around this lack of a digital out on the Onkyo. Haven't been able to get my new setup to work. Not sure if the lack of the digital out on the receiver really matters or not. I suspect it is for recording and my guess is that the absence of this connection is to prevent digital copying.
Any help much appreciate!!
Thanks-
post #6884 of 6894 Old 12-16-2011, 01:24 PM

Digital out from receiver to Entre is only for recording. I didn't bother hooking up any of the digital or analog inputs to the Entre when I set it up after moving this fall. I only have the analog and optical outs from the Entre connected.

Cheers,

Mike
post #6885 of 6894 Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 AM

For anyone still using an Entre in your system, you might be pleased to know that you can use your Entre with a modern wireless keyboard. I have tried a few different Logitech wireless combos, and the Entre works with all of them.
I recently purchased a Logitech MK320 wireless keyboard (with mouse) and was surprised when the Entre responded to the KB. There are many KB shortcuts listed earlier in this mega-thread which are very helpful if you have to manually enter any text, create playlists, etc. It sure beats having to "power push" the buttons on the Entre remote!

Here's a link to some of the commands

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ds#post2690871
post #6886 of 6894 Old 03-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

I recently got the Logetech Harmony One Remote. I also replaced my Kenwood Soverign Receiver with an Onkyo. I understand I can still use my Entre Hub.
My question:

In the process of setting up do I use the Entre remote and not the Changer's
remote to teach the Harmony One remote?

also

Do I enter both changer and Entre in the devices section of the software or just the Entre as it will supposedly be controlling the changer?

I also have the Power Touch II remote that came with the Sovereign Receiver/Entre/ changer but I'm not sure where to begin with it?

Thanks-
post #6887 of 6894 Old 09-08-2012, 05:02 PM

This month marks 10 years of Sovereign for me. Still using the Entre and one Axcess portal. I sold the receiver, spare Entre and changers this spring. While this gear wasn't perfect, I certainly feel like I got my money's worth out of it. Used the Entre for background music during my daughter's birthday dinner tonight, turned it up for the cleanup - sounds great for 10-year-old technology.
post #6888 of 6894 Old 09-09-2012, 03:57 PM

Hello all.

I'm curious. Where did you sell your Sovereign stuff at, and how much is it going for currently? I have a VR-5900, three of the DVD changers, and an Entre.

My family moved and my system no longer fits. The components have just been sitting around for a while. I was debating what to do with them, when I saw the this thread.

Any advice would be welcome.

Richard
post #6889 of 6894 Old 09-09-2012, 04:11 PM

I sold mine to a guy in Canada who PM'd me. Price was in the ballpark of 10-20% of MSRP, consistent with e-bay completed sales at the time. Shipping turned into a nightmare as UPS busted up the receiver and amp--eventually ended up being reimbursed for the declared value and shipping charges. The receiver, entre, and axcess portals made it through shipping fine. Mine were shipped in the original packing materials--I'd recommend double-boxing the receiver (and amp) in a larger box with extra foam or bubble-wrap.
post #6890 of 6894 Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 AM

Running a Kenwood DV-5900M from Thin Client?

I have a Kenwood DV-5900M DVD changer and a HP T5730 Thin client.

Used the thin client for Magic Jack.
Have the Kenwood connected to my desktop.

Wondering if thin client can run the 5900’s software, and
provide the internet connection it needs?

Both are currently on eBay. Considering offering both to
retirement communities if they’ll work together.

Guesses?
post #6891 of 6894 Old 03-10-2013, 10:16 AM

i know that kenwood does not support the sovereign system and entre (for quite a few years now) i have quite a bit of money invested in the system my theatre is designed around the mega changers and entre my major problem is hooking up to the internet via router bridge and the second problem my changers go into read mode for hours at a time and still dont recognize my library is there anywhere i can send these units to be updated and serviced i have 5 400 disk changers and 2 entres my entre now just sits and blinks no access to turning on....any info you could forward would by extremely helpful

- mark novak wheelsmen@msn.com
post #6892 of 6894 Old 03-10-2013, 10:18 AM

i may be nterested in system if still available and in good working order
post #6893 of 6894 Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

I'm having Entre problems.mad.gif Couldn't get it to respond. I remembered something about holding down the power button. Tried that and now all I get is the flashing red light right above the power button. Isn't there a combination of buttons on the remote or front of the Entre that will bring it back//reset it/etc. . If you don't mind please post your reply here and in my AVS message box.
Thanks!smile.gif
post #6894 of 6894 Old 03-14-2014, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

DESPERATE !!
Does anyone have 2.008 on disk that I can borrow, have, or purchase. I believe it was the latest update.eek.gif
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page