Kenwood Sovereign System (Changer, Entre, and Receiver) Issues and Answers - Page 231 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6901 of 6906 Old 03-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post
My update is for the Entre 2.0.0.16.
As to your question, I would guess it would restore back to the version it had when it originally left the factory or 2.0.0.16 which I believe was first.
I may be in error here. After installation, Setup on the Entre shows Version 2.0.0.16. Last night I opened the file on the computer I used to burn the CD which revived my Entre, and the folder shows Version 2.0.0.8. Not sure what is going on here.

If anyone sees this and knows what is going on I would really appreciate your insight/suggestions. I'm thinking maybe I need to UPDATE the Entre while the CD is in the tray or Reboot the Entre while the CD is in the tray. I hesitate to do either for fear of putting it back into coma.
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 6906 Old 04-06-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post
I may be in error here. After installation, Setup on the Entre shows Version 2.0.0.16. Last night I opened the file on the computer I used to burn the CD which revived my Entre, and the folder shows Version 2.0.0.8. Not sure what is going on here.

If anyone sees this and knows what is going on I would really appreciate your insight/suggestions. I'm thinking maybe I need to UPDATE the Entre while the CD is in the tray or Reboot the Entre while the CD is in the tray. I hesitate to do either for fear of putting it back into coma.
Any ideas?
Here is the boot doc info I have from 2004:

WARNING: You do this at YOUR own risk. I am not responsible for ANY damage you do to your Entre!

Go to http://webshare.escient.com.

Click on LOGIN.

User Name: ecsupport
Password: fbgolden

Then Click OK.

Click on the “Kenwood” link

Click on the “kenwood.zip” link and save it to your hard drive.

You will be prompted for the file download.
Chose “Save this file to disk” then select “OK”.

A “Save As” window will pop up…
Save the file in a location you will remember.

Use an unzipping utility such as WINZIP to extract the 11 files.

Extract the files into a location on your PC.

Decide what type of upgrade you want to perform. For either procedure, be sure to use a drive that has at least 118GB usable space. I used a Seagate Barracuda ATA 8MB Cache drive 120 GB. You’re welcomed to try a larger drive, but I’ve only provided the formatting for the 1st 120GB. I also don’t know if the IDE chips on the mainboard will detect anything larger than what’s supported by the ATA-133 standard (137GB).

• Expand 120GB: You will have to backup your Entre drive to the new 120GB drive. There are several ways to do this. Take a look at the Kenwood Issues thread for the procedures. Also, because I’m not sure that the Entre will handle more than 17 partitions, you’ll get about 108GB instead of the 120GB if you had initialized all partitions.
• Using a version of Unix and the “dd” command
• Using a version of Ghost
• Initialize 120GB: You will have a fresh Entre, no information will be saved.

Once you’ve decided which method you want to use.

Copy the respective “update.prp” and “part.prp” to the folder where you extracted the kenwood.zip file. You’ll be asked whether or not you want to replace the files, be sure and select “Yes”.

Burn all files onto a CD-R / CD-RW.

ALL FILES MUST BE IN THE ROOT DIRECTORY OF THE CD. NOT IN A FOLDER!

Now that the CD has been made, we are ready to place it onto the Entre.

Open the CD tray on the Entre and insert the CD-ROM. DO NOT CLOSE THE DRAWER!

Unplug the Entre, open it up and intall the new drive. There are 3 screws on the outside in the back of the unit (left, center, right). The drive is pretty easy to remove, but it’s a lot easier with a screwdriver that has a magnetic tip (Philips).

With the Entre facing away from you – In the very front (toward the LCD), there is a screw on the right of the drive cage. It connects the HDD drive cage to the CD drive cage. You will need a magnetic tip screwdriver to remove and re-install this screw.

There is one other screw, on the left of the drive cage, toward the rear, near the power supply and on the floor of the unit. It’s a very small screw which attaches the drive cage to the chasis. Please be very careful with the power supply. DO NOT TOUCH POWER SUPPLY!

You can now glide the drive cage back and pull up to get it out of the unit. You’ll need to unplug the IDE Cable and Power connector.

You’re now ready to remove the drive from the cage. There are four screws, one on each corner, on the sides. The recessed pair will be a bit of pain to screw back in – patience.

Be sure to set the jumpers correctly on the new drive. Take a look at your Entre drive, it should be set to Master (although, it might not be). Just be sure that the new drive’s jumpers are set the same as the old drive.

Plug the Entre back in. The CD door will close.

Watch Entre’s LCD. It will prompt you to remove the CD & reboot FireBall.

1. The LCD will display Parititioning and then it will reboot – this step takes less than 5 minutes

2. After the reboot, if you are initializing the drive, the unit will install the software from the disc – this step can take about 15 minutes, so please be patient. If it takes longer than about 20 minutes, then you’ve probably created the CD incorrectly or did not use the correct part.prp file. The Entre will eject the CD when it’s done and it will ask you to reboot.

3. If you are upgrading and had a fairly large Music and/or Movie database, the unit will then begin to check and rebuild the database and indexes. This will take a LONG time, in my case it took at least 2 hours. Just monitor the progress on the LCD and make sure that the percentage complete is going up. Keep in mind, it’s going to rebuild/check 3 sets of databases/indexes (Radio, Music, Movies) – so don’t think that it’s stuck in a loop, if you see the same message come up more than once.

That’s it! If all went well, you’ve now got a 120GB drive!

From time to time you might come across an issue where the Entre will not eject the drive. Unfortunately, the only way I’ve found to remove the disc is to remove the CD drive from the Entre, there’s a button on the bottom right of the CD drive. You’ll have to press the button as you’re rebooting your Entre. The light on the left will flash and it’ll make a sound. At this point you should be able to eject the CD. Unfortunately, you have to pull out the entire CD cage, otherwise, you won’t see the light or the button. The button on the Entre’s face will not work – I believe it’s activated by software, not firmware. During my testing of the upgrade, this was the biggest headache.

Note this will only happen if the CD is bad or the update.prp file is invalid!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #6903 of 6906 Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh and here's the orig link:

Kenwood Entre Technical Discussions

Kevin

post #6904 of 6906 Old 04-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Oh and here's the orig link:

Kenwood Entre Technical Discussions
Thanks for all your help!!
post #6905 of 6906 Old 04-07-2015, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Getting Entre back on line after several years out of operation

Still having problems getting my Entre on line.
I am using the originally required Cat 5 Crossover cable with the original USB adapter.
Does it matter which USB slot is used-upper or lower one for the adapter?
Is the crossover cable still necessary with newer receivers?

Is anyone using a new currently available USB adapter?

Mine may not be working even though the light still glows yellowish-orange. I assume it would
still need to be paired with the crossover cable. Right?
If anyone can list the specific fill-ins for the ip address, gateway, etc. that would be the same for everyone (if that is even possible) it would help me eliminate some of the possibilities. Also I have no idea as to my Open Globe user name and password. I have it somewhere but not sure it would even still be appropriate.
Is that something I am going to eventually need to retrieve album, covers, information, etc.?
post #6906 of 6906 Old 04-07-2015, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think OpenGlobe is functioning any more Jim and I don't use a crossover cable that I remember as long as you're using the only two approved adapters. DNS was flaky so pick an IP on your network along with your DNS server address and you should be good (but I doubt you'll get it working as mine has been down for over a year or so now).

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)