Kenwood Sovereign System (Changer, Entre, and Receiver) Issues and Answers - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 6894 Old 08-09-2002, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
That IP address you referene above looks to be your cable modem IP. Suggest hooking up your Entre again to your router, like you would a computer, and then unplugging the Entre...wait 10 seconds...plug it back in. I would like to see if then you get your internal private IP (a 192.168..0.X). Make sure your Entre is set for DHCP and not static. (I assume it is but wanted to mention it.)

I have not had any issues with the Internet connection and I use the Netmate and it goes through three switches before it even gets to my LinkSys router.

Please let me know back what your IP is after the it comes back on-line.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6894 Old 08-09-2002, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottF200

IP@ 169.254.121.50
Gateway 169.254.0.1
Mask 255.255.0.0

What seems odd is the IP should be in the range of 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.51 per my DHCP settings in my nexland hub. Normal local lan IPs.

That IP is a result of the Entre not finding a DHCP server. MS operating systems do the same thing, and pick an erroneous IP in the 169 Class B address range. Sounds like the hub's DHCP server is off.
post #813 of 6894 Old 08-09-2002, 09:19 AM

Liked: 11
I am not a big fan of using DHCP on my networks. I prefer to assign static IP addresses to all of my computers so there is no shuffling of addresses when things get rebooted. (That's the control freak part of me coming out I guess.) Anyway, on the Ente' I would suggest assigning a static IP of 192.168.1.x where x is greater than 1 but not in use by any other computer on the network. Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 and Router address of 192.168.1.1 , then add the DNS numbers provided by your ISP and you should be good to go. I use a Linksys router and this is how I setup things for everyone I setup home networks for. If you are just using a network hub to connect all of your computers and ente', things can get sticky. Generally speaking, when using an ordinary hub, you would have to order seperate IP addresses for each computer or device connected to the hub from your ISP. That's why things like the Linksys router became so popular. Because with it, you only need a single IP address and it is assigned to the router. Then router then creates a subnet where you use the 192.168.1.x IP addresses on each device. 192.168.1.1 is usually the router's address on the subnet and that number is used as the Gateway Address on all computer's connected to the router.

I'm not sure if any of this information helps, or just makes it more confusing

Bob
post #814 of 6894 Old 08-09-2002, 12:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Kirby Baker
Also, in regards to the Netmate ethernet adapter, isnt there anyplace that sells that thing besides Kenwood? I looked at a few computer places on the web, and no luck. Even CATC's website has no info I could find on where to purchase.

Thanks!

I tried ordering the Netmate from Kenwood this past Tuesday (Aug. 6th) and got a call back Wednesday from them saying they were out of stock. So, like you, I went searching the web. No one has these things, nor the Belkin that is supposed to be compatible. I finally looked on Ebay and found 4 or 5. They were only $10 + $5 shipping for brand new ones. I accidentally bid on 2 of them. If I actually receive them both and you still can't find one, let me know and I'll gladly send you one for the same $15. (Much better deal than the $72.95 it costs to get it from Kenwood.)

Now if I could just get a day off so I can drive up to Denver and pick up my Entre'

Bob Stanley
post #815 of 6894 Old 08-09-2002, 03:02 PM

I had a Kenwood Sovereign 5700 but exchanged it for a Denon 3800 due primarily to the following:

1. VERY slow layer transition. 4-5 seconds on Harry Potter, at the very end of the troll scene. I verified this both on my unit and an in-store demo model. Disc loading/reading is also slow.

2. Poor remote. Small and awkward.
post #816 of 6894 Old 08-09-2002, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you guys for your input.

This just drives me crazy since all my computers still work and the Entre worked before. Then I get differing messages from various Entre screens. Seems like they need a new menu option that is "check internet connect" where it provides various feedback. No doubt there is something like that there but I'm sure we'd all be killed if the develpers let that out. Heck surprised were still alive after the 5555 treat.

Kirby/Bob thanks for the additional info. Didn't realize that IP could just be erroneous. I would have expect all 1's or 2's or something more "clear". I was going to hardcode my local IPs and started that before my post but I like DHCP aside from the issue mentioned (boot order). Appreciate the details. I'll research and use up some more of my projectors lamp life .

If anyone else is having internet issues let me know (PM) or let's start another thread.

UPDATE 10-Aug
Simply could not get the ENTRE to utilize DHCP via my NexLand router that has it built in or directly connected to the AT&T cable connection/modem. Nexland also has feature to assign an IP based on a specific MAC and the device(entre) still can do 'dynamic'. This didn't work either although technique tested and worked on a couple of my computers. (note: while testing I reset nexland, rebooted entre (5 sec power button to make sure valid test. Also verified the computers worked with all these variations.) I ended up setting the entre up like:

static
ip 168.192.0.10
gateway 168.192.0.1 (nexland hub)
dns 192.168.0.1 (nexland hub - pass thru to AT&T's DNSes)
mask 255.255.255.0
and it finally worked.

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #817 of 6894 Old 08-09-2002, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems to have gone fairly well, actually. I have a full 5900 with 400 discs, and I got about 90% done correctly by the Entre.

The remaining DVDs all, with two exceptions, got looked up by hook or crook. Some I could simply do the lookup disc function from Entre. Others wouldn't yield to that, so I had to go into Changer Management and Look Up a "Range" of 1 disc several times.

One thing I noted was that, in the process of retrieving the forsaken discs--whether it was the Edit Disc Route, or the Lookup section in Changer Management--the disc info would momentarily appear as "full"--i.e., I'd have the title, the cover art, the description--but when the full lookup had occurred, calling for me to save or exit, I would miss something. Three or four discs "flashed" their full spectrum before me, but by the time it was done the cover art alone would be there. I would just fill the title in manually. I'd leave the description blank.

Some of the DVD-A discs lost their character as DVD-A discs, and now became "unknown dvds." Since you have to create that information anyway until such information is available from whoever Kenwood intends to get it from, it's not that large a deal, but involves renaming about 10 discs in my case.

If you lost cover art, don't worry, it's there. You may not get the description (because the "gone" discs may be "gone") if they were once there as cover art, they're still there in your Entre, but you have to go to "select cover art" in the Edit Disc function and manuallly scroll till you get past the generic images, and there are all your former images, stacked one at a time. I've had a lot of discs pass through the Hotel known as my DV5900 (because I've filled it and then "disgorged" it several times), but now I just stash the new ones (or the ones I'm taking out of the DV5900) into the other hotel (just darker) called the DV-5050M.

The AVIA disc is still gone, and the other disc that is now "gone" (but not forgotten, per my discussion above) is the DVD Demystified Disc. Actually, although AVIA is valuable, I viewed that latter disc again for a few moments and can't fathom why I even have it hanging 'round, particularly with AVIA already there.

Somewhere, someone mentioned something about a British Flag appearing on the Entre screen (or a similarly colored flag--or something looking like it), and I'm getting that, but it is not bothersome. Overall, I'd have to say that the upgrade is a definite improvement, since it does seem thus far to offer more facile use.

Well, now that this issue has been corralled, I am hopeful of seeing some forward progress, as are all the others here who have made the investment in Entre & Sovereign Changers and waited nearly a year now.

P.S. I bought a Logitech Cordless USB Internet Keyboard (CLDS KBD 967090-0403 for anyone that seeks a model number) after either reading on the Kenwood site that it was compatiblle with Entre, or calling Kenwood after reading the site, and, after getting it, see that you have to load a cd-rom software disc in order to use the keyboard. Anyone know how you "load" software onto Entre?

Happy Landings.

Nick
post #818 of 6894 Old 08-09-2002, 08:28 PM

Regarding the Belkin USB-to-Ethernet adapters...I mentioned this once before several hundred posts earlier, but it bears repeating: not all Belkin adapters were of CATC design, and (as far as I know) only the CATC ones are compatible with the Entre. If the Belkin adapter doesn't have the CATC logo somewhere on it, it probably won't work.
post #819 of 6894 Old 08-09-2002, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirby Baker
ip 169.254.121.50
lat 169.254.0.1
mask 255.255.0.0

That IP is a result of the Entre not finding a DHCP server. MS operating systems do the same thing, and pick an erroneous IP in the 169 Class B address range. Sounds like the hub's DHCP server is off.

Looks like this is called "Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA)" as it was mentioned here: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...samesubnet.htm

A pretty good explaination of APIPA is here: http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/In...ArticleID=7464
and the Microsoft Knowledge base: http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q307287&

Seems to be a "feature" that also computers on a local lan to still get a unique IP and still talk to each other.

Hope that helps someone else.

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #820 of 6894 Old 08-10-2002, 05:51 AM
JVS

The "unreadable disk" problem is terminal for me now. About 2 months ago, it started happening sporadically and then would go away. Now, nothing I do can get it to read any type of disk, CD or DVD. Does anyone have any suggestions I can try before unloading this beast? Thanks - John
post #821 of 6894 Old 08-10-2002, 12:41 PM

JVS,

I really think it's an issue with the hardware -- I know it's a pain to remove all those discs, but I had the same issue -- happened all the time. After replacing my 5900, I now have 3 out of 350+ discs that it cannot read (consistently).

Take it back!

H
post #822 of 6894 Old 08-10-2002, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, I'll try asking this in a separate message. No need to jump in with your collective body of knowledge at once. But one informed person ought to be out there. Anyone using a cordless keyboard with Entre (obviously, not the cordless that comes with the DV59000--I'm talking now about the kind that is supposedly compatible with Entre, at least per the Kenwood website)? From my message, posted above and quoted within, it seems that even if I tried to run the keyboard remotely or not, I'd have to load software into Entre. Huh?

Keyboard will come in handywith Entre, as much disc editing is often necessary. Anyone? Bueller?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicholas
P.S. I bought a Logitech Cordless USB Internet Keyboard (CLDS KBD 967090-0403 for anyone that seeks a model number) after either reading on the Kenwood site that it was compatible with Entre, or calling Kenwood after reading the site. Now, after getting it, I see that you have to load a cd-rom software disc in order to use the keyboard. Anyone know how you "load" software onto Entre? Or whether I have to at all?

Nick
post #823 of 6894 Old 08-10-2002, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hi Ncvk...

Well I can only say ask this (I just had to ask).... Have you tried the keyboard right out of the box with the Entre? I say thing because unless it came with software for the Entre, which I do not think it would, then you would not need software to load and the Entre should respond to the keyboard if supported. (via IR Codes already built in.) The software is more than likely for Windows computers and thus would not be needed.

Give it a shot if you have not already.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #824 of 6894 Old 08-10-2002, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David Bott
Hi Ncvk...

Well I can only say ask this (I just had to ask).... Have you tried the keyboard right out of the box with the Entre? I say thing because unless it came with software for the Entre, which I do not think it would, then you would not need software to load and the Entre should respond to the keyboard if supported. (via IR Codes already built in.) The software is more than likely for Windows computers and thus would not be needed.

Give it a shot if you have not already.

Well . . . I didn't know there was a keyboard in the box with the Entre . . . I have the keyboard that came with the DV-5900 . . . could that be what you are referring to? Or is there another one?

If so, maybe I'll go to the basement now and plunder through the Entre box to see if there was something that I missed when I opened it.

But . . . please . . . I hope you're not being coy . . . is there a keyboard for Entre that came with it? Or does the one that came with the DV5900 work for Entre too? Or what? A keyboard for Entre would be nice these days.

Don't hold out on me, David, I know you're not mad at me anymore.

Nick
post #825 of 6894 Old 08-10-2002, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Nick...Not holding out on you, really.

You stated "I bought a Logitech Cordless USB Internet Keyboard..." Thus I took that to mean you DID buy one to use with the Entre and was wondering how to use it. So...I asked the question if you tried it or just stopped when you seen it had software. When I said "right out of the box"...I meant the Logitech box that the keyboard you bought came in.

I totally missed the part about USB...so...take the USB part (the receiver) and plug it into the Entre. Then try the keyboard. Note...I have one at work, it is an older one, but I needed to set the keyboard and the receiver up to talk to each other on the same channel. Make sure you do that if it is needed. (no software required to to that part.)

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #826 of 6894 Old 08-10-2002, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe in the manual there is a way to reset the player. you will lose any title info you have typed in, but might be worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally posted by JVS
The "unreadable disk" problem is terminal for me now. About 2 months ago, it started happening sporadically and then would go away. Now, nothing I do can get it to read any type of disk, CD or DVD. Does anyone have any suggestions I can try before unloading this beast? Thanks - John

rather be lucky than good.
post #827 of 6894 Old 08-10-2002, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I totally missed the part about USB...so...take the USB part (the receiver) and plug it into the Entre. Then try the keyboard. Note...I have one at work, it is an older one, but I needed to set the keyboard and the receiver up to talk to each other on the same channel. Make sure you do that if it is needed. (no software required to to that part.)

No, you're right. Sorry I missed your meaning.

Actually, I've now purchased two of these things, but the 2d one is supposed to be a remote. In any event, before even trying the remote, I did plug the usb connector into the Entre. I assume that's what I did (it's the type of connector that looks like a s-video plug?)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about setting them up to work on the same channel--sounds like that could be my problem, since I've just plugged it in to the front of the Entre where its USP port is. The keyboard is in fact recommended by Kenwood, but it's really hard trying to get someone at the other end of the Kenwood telephone line that admits that, or is even remotely capabe of helping (definitely no pun intended there). And, of course, the "instructions" that came with this Logitech keyboard (none) are reallly helpful . . .

I sit in my main "Captain's Area," in my "room" (as it's referred to among this household) about 15 feet away from the Entre. Making these text adjustments via remote is a huge pain. I'm betting that a keyboard that works would be a nice benefit to perfecting the Entre screen.

(By the way, I "sort of" ran into another duplicate today. I have the Movie Mulholland Drive, and I have a Randy Newman DVD-A. On the upgrade run, the DVD-A came out as a 2d Mulholland Drive, although not in the same slot. Just imputed those characteristics to the disc in that slot. Had a bitch of a time redoing it, too.)

So . . . ."setting the channel from the keyboard to the Entre . . ." Still not sure, but if you solve this for me, I'll donate several brand new DVDs, still sealed, to the ELF Fund (on top of the normal dough I already gave, and the proceeds off Ebay or whatever can then be routed there . . .hell, I'll do it anyway . . . but I'd like to get this keyboard working. . . . I can beg too, David.

Thanks,

Nick
post #828 of 6894 Old 08-10-2002, 08:03 PM

Logitech cordless keyboards and mice both use RF and not IR. The RF is VERY low power with the average range being 6-12 ft. I don't know how far away you are trying the keyboard from the Entre but you may want to get closer to see if it helps.

Also, the Logitech stuff all has a CONNECT button on the bottom of it that forces the receiver and keyboard (or mouse) to 'sync' to each other. You may need to play with that to force the keyboard to sync with the Entre as well.

I've got several of the Logitech cordless keyboards and mice and they seem to work pretty well once you get over the limited range. It is highly unlikely you'll be controlling anything across the room with a Logitech for sure. The sweet spot is about 6-7 feet.
post #829 of 6894 Old 08-11-2002, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Rick...it may be time of another phone call to try to help you understand this. Esp when you say it "looks like an s-video connector" when you bought a USB keyboard.

More or less...The Keyboard RECEIVER (a small box with the USB connectors on it that came with the Keyboard) needs to connected to the USB port of the Entre.

You then need to press the little button on the back of the Keyboard and the Keyboard Receiver, you just hooked up, so they can talk to each other. (This is to set the same channel... and in RF channel. Think of it as setting the channel on a pair of walketalkies.) Once that is done...you should be able to use the Keyboard with the Entre if supported as you mentioned it is.

Yes..range will not be that great.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #830 of 6894 Old 08-11-2002, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

David:

I'll try again with these instructions, but this particular model I thought had a greater range. If not, I'll look for something that does. In the meanitime, it'll be enough to at least get it going.

David, would you be kind enough to pm your phone number again (I don't save them . . . sorry . . .) and let me know if there are times in the afternoon hours that you are today available? Or sometime in the evening hours this upcoming week?

Thanks,

Nick
post #831 of 6894 Old 08-11-2002, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

The new version problem certainly raised/reminded us of flaws with the DVD look up and the reason the keyboard is a hot topic again (discussed a few post back and numerous pages back). All the USB compatible keyboards are listed on the Kenwood tips web page http://www.kenwoodusa.com/sovereign/latest_tips

Using the remote is a pain to look up 'Unknown Disk' and really shows the interface errors. Example is when you go to do a search and it leaves the words "Unknown Disk" in the search box so you have to backspace over it. Silly UI stuff. I realize when your search fails or finds the wrong disk this technique lets you start from the last string you typed in but when it is "Unknown Disk" blank it out automatically. Perhaps the rational/excuse is that there may be a DVD named that some day .

Unless I missed some key on the remote I don't see where you can enter a '(' or a ')' *but* they put those in the titles of some DVDs in their database. ie. "(Disk 1)". Why does this matter...because it failed to find several of my DVDs that were disk 2 also know in some of their titles as "Bonus Material". I sometimes would do a search and find Disk 1 since I knew it was there and then would use that title text format to see if I could locate their wording for Disk 2.

RE: Disc that couldn't be found yesterday
- Harry Potter Disk 2 Special Features (found with manual search)
- Star Trek III: Search for Spock (found with manual search)
- Gladiator Disk 2
- Shrek Disk 2
- A league of their own (found w/manual search)
- Gone with the Wind (found w/manual search)
- Toy Story (found w/manual search)

RE: Repeated idea I think
Why doesn't openglobe allow us to search their list using the internet and our account?!? The same one that allows us to set play list for music.

They could certainly develop this fast and bring back a list of possible matches based on our criteria (...WHERE title like '%Gladiator%).

At the least we then would know the exact title and could easily search for it then using the remote and the manual search.

Clearly it could easily go beyond that capability as well and show what 'Unknown DVDs' are in our player (ie. upload them and their slot numbers to their site). We could access them via the said account and assign them and then let our Entre download the new assignments. That may be pretty tough for them. Or this could be an easy way for us to assign 'Unknown DVDs'/slots/fileids to something in their database. This allows them to allow us a easier way for them to clean up/sync up their database.

Unless I'm confused, it seems this is really HELPING OpenGlobe and just not Kenwood. I say that because if this database is used for their (OGs) Escient Power Play 300 product then WE are helping OpenGlobes highend customers by cleaning up/adding to their database. (BTW, anyone read the Oct 2002 Audio Video Interiors pg 90 article on Elf (see Elf banner on this website for link)...the Escient was listed in the equip list).

Some interesting reading on the OG site related to this topic http://www.escientconvergence.com/pplay.htm See FAQ and Question: Will the movie database (MDB) recognize multiple pressings / versions of the same movie title?

Now I would caution you guys about looking too closely at those PDFs ( http://www.escientconvergence.com/Su...rPlayUsers.pdf ) because they show some cool interface stuff that we only dream about with our interface (yes, I realize ours is a much much cheaper system but we are talking about software programing *once* you have the data available like we have on our Entre harddisk)

post #832 of 6894 Old 08-11-2002, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Rick...it may be time of another phone call to try to help you understand this. Esp when you say it "looks like an s-video connector" when you bought a USB keyboard.

More or less...The Keyboard RECEIVER (a small box with the USB connectors on it that came with the Keyboard) needs to connected to the USB port of the Entre.

I asssume I'm "Rick," so your alarm clock went off correctly. Here's the deal.

Bought the first Logitech Keyboard, thinking it was "cordless." To me, that simply means I'm going to be able to operate it remotely. The fact that a a cord is coming out of it didn't bother me.

Well, it soon became clear to me that this was not cordless, and I was having a devil of a time figuring out what to do. I ordered this off the net, so, before returning it, I actually went to the Local MicroCenter, told them what I wanted, and they said "Oh you want the cordless model." Yes. So I bought it. Now I 've got two, and the cordless is the one I want. It's when I open up the box for the cordless that I say, "huh?" Software? Mini-instruction sheet saying "load"? What to do?

The Non-Cordless Model

Has a USB cable coming out from it. It then has an adapter (which I described as a "s-video" type connector--is this what you guys call a USB/Ethernet adapter?) which you can use or not use. I found the USB port on the front of the Entre, and, hooray, this works (so no need for the adapter--just a straight USB connection). Still some confusion as I think that the keyboard cannot be used alone without the remote (for entries such as save, exit, or remote specific items), but the keyboard will be a great help . . . IF . . . .

I can get an effective USB extension cable. My inquiries suggest that the longest USB extension cable I'll find is 16 feet, and it might have to be powered. I ordered one, but we'll see how it works. Ideally, I'd like one about 18 to 20 feet long . . . and it has to extend the existing cable from the keyboard, not replace it.

The Cordless Model

As for the remote keyboard . . . now the guy at MicroCenter says that it will work, but I have to load the software first. What kind of computer is it, he says? Well . . . that's sort of a long story . .. it has internet access, but it's not really a computer in the sense that you mean . . .

There is a receiver, as David mentioned, and a button on top of it that says "connect." But there's not a button on the back of the keyboard. I'm beginning to think that really running a remote keyboard is not possible with Entre. That's okay (if I can return the keyboard, which is such a pain .. . it'll wind up on my wall of eligiible Ebay items) so long as I can make at least a 16 foot extension. I'll just plug in and plug out as I use it, but the Keyboard, I think, is going to become an indispensable part of Entre-Life. That remote is too clumsy to enter data with, and, unfortunately, Entre continues to need help adjusting the data it accumulates.

If anyone can turn me on to a longer USB extension cable, that will work well, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks,

Nick
post #833 of 6894 Old 08-11-2002, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Nick,

This site points to the QVS Active repeater and at the bottom the USB FAQ

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/a...370002,00.html

Do internet search on active usb repeater as it looks like several are out that will extend your range. This google one should do get a few: http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...e+usb+repeater

post #834 of 6894 Old 08-11-2002, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Scott. I'm going to try the 16 footer, because, with just a little luck it'll reach to my seating area when I need to do "literary maintenance" on the Entre.

And the Entre needs it. But I don't mind helping, so long as there's a cure. For that matter, I'll probably be compulsive enough to add additional information from the disc jackets to the screens in Entre, though I recognize those could get wiped out on one reboot. I won't go too hogwild, but the fact is that there is simply NO description for certain movie titles, barely beyond the fact that it's a movie.

Thanks for the tip. The good news is that the corded keyboard does work with Entre. Feeling lucky today.

Nick
post #835 of 6894 Old 08-11-2002, 03:56 PM

Kenwood,

Great job on the newletter and putting out information that current owners will find useful! Also, excellent job with speeding up the interface.

HM
post #836 of 6894 Old 08-11-2002, 04:01 PM

Didn't want to mix a positive with a negative -- so here goes

Has anyone had problems with the Entre maintaining a connection with a pc running Media Manager? I've always had tons of issues with this software, but it seems much worse since the .10 release. I cannot transfer more than 2 or 3 albums without getting, "the library could not be syncronized with the client" -- then it aborts the file transfer.

Keep in mind, I had over 200 "albums" loaded prior to the update (had to refresh ... again). I remember being able to batch load 25 or 30 albums before getting an error.

I've also noticed that when I press the OG button, I'm now at a blank screen and not the OG web page.

HM
post #837 of 6894 Old 08-11-2002, 05:32 PM

Used Look all last night. Seems it did find most of the DVD titles, missed about 10 out of 381 DVD. One it missed was the most recent Gladiator. When I manually looked it up, it came up with the Gladiator starring Cuba Gooding, and not Russell Crowe. Any ideas on how to get the right Gladiator input would be appreciated. The new Time Machine DVD is naother title that I have problems (defaults to the original Time Machine DVD - from about 50 years ago.).
post #838 of 6894 Old 08-11-2002, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if this is an Entre problem, a software update problem, or a situation where I've relocated various digital and analog inputs on my Surround preamp.

I never listened much to the Internet Radio, but, as of a few months ago, it was working. Since that time, I have "borrowed" digital and analog inputs on my Lexicon from the Entre, but I think I've got them restored properly. In other words, I think I'm telling the Lexicon to play the signal that I thought would be coming out of the Entre (which, as I recall, may only be an analog signal--not important, since I should get it either way).

The only thing I've done since the software upgrade vis-a-vis the Entre and music is to go to the A/V section of the setup menu, and assign the digital and analog audio to "receiver"--only one that seemed remotely applicable. It was set to nothing before that.

If I've missed an Entre step, or an upgrade step, let me know--if anyone knows. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to much internet radio, but that's an option on Entre that I'd at least like to evaluate before I make a "fair" decision on whether I remain married to Kenwood.

Reading over these manuals again, and just the glimpses of what's going on . . . this product still has so much promise, but this company . . . . well, if they make my multichanger problem go away, they will go a long way to earning back the praise of one of its investors--me. But if I can listen to the radio in the interim, it might help, too.

Thanks,

Nick
post #839 of 6894 Old 08-11-2002, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, this weekend was going to be my Entre time. And so it has. After the handful of posts I made on keyboards, internet radio, setup. . . . I decided to bag it all and watch something.

Whereupon it wouldn't work. What kept coming up was the last DVD-A disc I had played at various times throughout the afternoon, and I couldn't get the Entre to select another disc. I'd get to the guide, enter the selection . . . . same DVD-A disc in slot 400.

I ejected it from the slot altogether. I turned everything off and on. I tried running a disc directly from the DV5900, which started to work, but, once I turned Entre back on again, I could not get control of the changer.

So I'm turning it off for the night. Perhaps it will have determined that I have fought with it enough for one day, and permit me some degree of control tomorrow. I'm just tired of even trying now.

Funny . . .. the attraction to this stuff, to me anyway, is in large part the control factor. Good night, Kenwood.

Nick
post #840 of 6894 Old 08-11-2002, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottF200
RE: Repeated idea I think
Why doesn't openglobe allow us to search their list using the internet and our account?!? The same one that allows us to set play list for music.

They could certainly develop this fast and bring back a list of possible matches based on our criteria (...WHERE title like '%Gladiator%).

At the least we then would know the exact title and could easily search for it then using the remote and the manual search.

Zinja,
Ah...you set up to reinforce my point I made in my previous post today where I even used Gladiator as an example .

If you had the OpenGlobe internet search capability just to look up in their database to see how they name things (as a phase one implementation)...then you would find they callled it:

"Gladiator - Disc 1 (DTS)" and
"Gladiator - Disc 2 - Bonus Material"

So for your quest you can enter "Gladiator -" in the Entre search to find Disc 1. And if you have Disc 2 then you can search for "Gladiator - Disc 2".

Wouldn't it also have been nice if you could just enter "Gladiator" and they bring up a list of them for you to select from on the Entre? Perhaps Kenwood developers just have a crude API where they just pass what the user types and then OpenGlobe will only give them back the 1st one found?!?

Anyway hope this helps you and perhaps others and perhaps Kenwood/OG "find" it in their hearts to improve the search interface.

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page