Kenwood Sovereign System (Changer, Entre, and Receiver) Issues and Answers - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 6894 Old 08-19-2002, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As much as I've bitched about certain things, I'll make an observation to the contrary: You will miss it.

Fact is, for all of the headaches, it really has features that are so far outside the realm of normal availability that they get easily taken for granted. Like anything else in that regard, you won't know what you've got until it's gone. Unfortunately, no one can be accused of unreasonably losing their patience.

I'm holding out, because I know I'll miss it when I get rid of it, and I do want to give Kenwood the chance to make good. Call it self interest, hopefully enlightened self interest.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 6894 Old 08-19-2002, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

i am sure i will like the entre, but I also wish Kenwood would give the developer the info they need to develop an alternative to netnamer.

i would be happy managing my 5900 via my pc. at this point in time my needs are simple and i am content with the 5900's osd. i just need an easier way to manage my collection and have that backed up. netnamer gives me some of that, but i am sure a developer could have designed something much slicker by now. Maybe integration with dvdprofiler.

dvdlobby is nice but requires a slinke and it doesn't support categories yet. so it looks like i might as well as bite the bullet and get an entre, hopefully used.

rather be lucky than good.
post #903 of 6894 Old 08-19-2002, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got back from a short vacation to relatives who live in smalltown, USA. I helped him raise his barn roof that was saging. Refreshing to get "away." Watched a DVD on the laptop on the ride home, tho .

Quote:

Originally posted by Patrick Bennett
Google keeps cached pages - depending on how recently Kenwood changed it, Google might have a cached copy.
Run a google query and pick the 'cached page' link once you think you've found the right page.

It was the WayBack Machine that keeps web archives and was mentioned on the Langa list a while ago.

I found this cached page that shows support for 3 changers without the 'coming soon' phrase. Bring it up people and save it to disk as they my get contacted by Kenwood to delete it....

http://web.archive.org/web/200111060...roductLineId=2

HM/Lars, thanks for letting me know about the DNS look up failures after the .10. I was fairly sure I wasn't crazy nor technically inept. I updated my post a day or so later to state what I did to "fix" the darn thing.

Nick, your endurance is pretty impressive and entertaining...saying that only after I went through a few days of pain after the infamous .10 upgrade as well. Glad you are still among us (in mulitple ways).

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #904 of 6894 Old 08-19-2002, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by slocko

dvdlobby is nice but requires a slinke and it doesn't support categories yet. so it looks like i might as well as bite the bullet and get an entre, hopefully used.

DVDLobby can be used with a Kenwood without a Slinke.

Ken Elliott
post #905 of 6894 Old 08-20-2002, 04:21 AM

OK, I'll bite, what is DVDLobby, how do I get it, and how is integrated into the Kenwoold 5900.
post #906 of 6894 Old 08-20-2002, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I forgot about your little program. I think it's yours. So I guess my only gripe about dvdlobby is the lack of categories and it seems that it takes some time to get all the pieces working. Time is something I dont' have a lot of these days.

Did it work out for you Ken with dvdlobby?

Dvdlobby is an application written in flash that is very graphic rich. It basically displays dvd covert art and has some slick screen savers and skins. It also can spawn any command you specify in association with a dvd title.

You will need a pc connected to the kenwood and for the best integration, dvd profiler and the application that controls the kenwood. But you need to do a lot of configuring and tweaking to get all three pieces talking to each other. You also need a way to remote control the pc if you plan to use the interface to play dvds from your couch. Some people bought pc tablets with wireless cards and are using that to control the main pc that is connected to the kenwood.

Search for dvdlobby here in avsforums and you will find some very long threads.

Quote:

Originally posted by kelliot

DVDLobby can be used with a Kenwood without a Slinke.

post #907 of 6894 Old 08-20-2002, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The interface program is chgctrl.exe. Its not mine, but it does work. My 5050M is still a work in progress.

I just saw the Crutchfield ad for the Sony 875. The Kenwood still looks better, IMO. Maybe shipment of the Sony, however, will get Kenwood and Pioneer moving to improve their products.

Ken Elliott
post #908 of 6894 Old 08-20-2002, 08:39 AM

Liked: 11
Here's the link --> http://www.gadgetland.net/chgctrl/ .

I haven't started using DVDLobby either for the same reason Slocko, but one of these days...
post #909 of 6894 Old 08-20-2002, 08:46 AM

slocko,

Where do I begin? I purchased these products when they first came out and have had to deal with every "little" BS problem since day one. The last release of the software, pretty much tells me where Kenwood & OG are going with these products. The list thus far,

(*) lack of MULTIPLE CHANGER support after almost a year and as I've said before, I doubt this will work reliably when and if it's ever made available

(a) the number of times I've had to perform a reset to factory defaults

(b) the number of times I've emailed Kenwood & OG requesting their assistance and gotten no answer or a bogus canned response two weeks later

(c) the number of calls I've placed to Kenwood support and gotten some of the most ridiculous answers to the simplest questions

(d) the number of times the CD and/or DVD guides have been corrupted with duplicates (yes, this was there before the .10 release -- just not as severe)

(e) the number of times I've tried to use the Internet Radio feature and gotten nothing but, "buffering", "radio station cannot be found", and skipping

(f) the number of times I've selected a disc in the Entre Guide and watched my changer's, "READING" and the dreaded "DISC FLIP" messages

(g) the number of times I've had to reboot Entre, PC, & Changer just to be able to transfer mp3 files from my PC to the Entre

(h) the number of times I've reclassified music and watched the Entre & Media Manager completely ignore the new information

(i) DNS failures (oh joy a new feature)

(j) Entre lockups (granted these have gotten much better -- now I just lose remote functionality causing me to reboot the Entre)

(k) Media Manager lockups

(l) missing DVD titles and/or incorrect information in the OG database

(m) layer change times

(n) SLOW, SLOW, SLOW disc read/access times

I'm more than just a little tired and extremely disappointed with these products. I'm sure there are people out there that feel differently -- this is my opinion.

When you spend more time trying to make these devices work correctly than actually "watching & enjoying" a movie -- guess what, it's time for them to go back. I purchased these products because I was tired of having to deal with constantly having to tweak my HTPC. I never had any intention of trading one headache for another. Ironically, I've had to use my HTPC on several ocassions (disc is unreadable).

I understand these things might not bother anyone else or for that matter may not be happening to everyone. They are however, happening with my Entre & 5900.

I will not miss these units at all! They have not worked reliably since day one and I don't have the time, money, or patience to wait around for Kenwood & OG to get their act together.

btw, If anyone needs the NetMater Cat-C USB to Ethernet Adapter -- I'll let it go for a reasonable price (just PM me).

HM
post #910 of 6894 Old 08-20-2002, 06:00 PM

Liked: 11
Well Slocko, I am in the same position as you. I've had my 5900 for 3 1/2 weeks now and have been using the NetNamer software. I agree that in the right hands, that software could be much improved. But it works ok, just has more potential. I just can't stand the 5900's OSD and Library when I am not at my PC or have my PC turned off (At night and during movies). So I bit the bullet and picked up the Entre' today. Unfortunately I can't even begin to play it with until my USB/Ethernet adapter arrives. I ordered it 2 weeks ago on Ebay. Getting a bit nervous on that deal. If it isn't here by Friday, I may be in trouble. Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated on my experiences when I get 'er up and running.

Bob
post #911 of 6894 Old 08-20-2002, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

HM,

I'm sorry to see you move on as I'm sure others are since you are always willing to provide input and help. Your list of concerns is well understood and we can only hope that Kenwood and OG "read" how they can even drive away the most dedicated customers.

Certainly the bugs reported on this thread and others have cost them future potential customers as well. I only hope they enhance the product while improving their quality.

Take care and check in from time to time.

Scott Fauque

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #912 of 6894 Old 08-20-2002, 11:39 PM

Can anyone report on the Kenwood Axcess now that it's generally available? I gave up waiting for it quite some time ago in favor of the Audiotron, but I'm still curious as to what it can do and how well it works.
post #913 of 6894 Old 08-21-2002, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I ordered right after your post so you owe me $15 bucks if it's a scam

I wrote to the guy today since he had sent me email saying it had shipped on the 12th.

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob_422
Well Slocko, I am in the same position as you. I've had my 5900 for 3 1/2 weeks now and have been using the NetNamer software. I agree that in the right hands, that software could be much improved. But it works ok, just has more potential. I just can't stand the 5900's OSD and Library when I am not at my PC or have my PC turned off (At night and during movies). So I bit the bullet and picked up the Entre' today. Unfortunately I can't even begin to play it with until my USB/Ethernet adapter arrives. I ordered it 2 weeks ago on Ebay. Getting a bit nervous on that deal. If it isn't here by Friday, I may be in trouble. Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated on my experiences when I get 'er up and running.

Bob

post #914 of 6894 Old 08-21-2002, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
*post deleted*

As it turns out, the Kenwood website has incorrect information on it regarding the VR-5900 and its Universal HD (go figure!). Website clearly states it would downconvert any input to any other input, but yet the unit does not. So I have no choice now but to wire everything with s-video alone (right?). If I run component and s-video between all my components, receiver, and entre, with s-video to the TV from the entre, I assume the entre will not give me a picture (because it could sense an active component input from the receiver?)

Thanks for any reply...
post #915 of 6894 Old 08-22-2002, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Thxs CR. That usb to serial adpater worked. I finally hooked it up today and it worked.

What a disappointment with netnamer. It's worst than I thought. The only marginal improvement over the native interface is that I can categorize the titles after I input them.

Well I guess I will take what is given. I wonder why kenwood hasn't devoted any resources to improving netnamer. I am sure one developer can re-write that app in less than a month.

Entre is looking better every day!

Quote:

Originally posted by crbaldwin

slocko,

This is the exact one I have if it helps: http://www.usbgear.com/usa/item_288.html

post #916 of 6894 Old 08-23-2002, 06:19 AM

I just received my Axcess yesterday. Boy is this a cool It works pretty well. I am using the D-link HPNA to Ethernet bridge. Playing mp3s from the entre works great. I am having a little trouble with the internet radio, but it may be related to the switch I am using on my network. I am going to try a different one today. The axcess sounds really good! They also did a pretty good job with the interface.

On a seperate note: Why is Crutchfield selling these if they are dropping the Entre/Sovereign line up???
post #917 of 6894 Old 08-24-2002, 10:00 AM

I have been very interested in the concept of the Kenwood Sovereign Axcess since purchasing the Entre last December. After browsing the information briefly, it looks like it will only do internet radio and play MP3s. I was hoping it would also play CDs in my 5900 and regular radio from my 5700 reciever.

If anyone has the Axcess, can you tell us what it can and cannot do?

Regards,

Jennifer Prince
post #918 of 6894 Old 08-24-2002, 10:08 AM

re: Universal Video on the Vr-5090, 5700, and 5900, the receiver wil UPCONVERT any signal to component, but will not downconvert component at all (what's the point if you're viewing S anyway?) So just connect everything in your system with composite and S if your TV only has an S video input and you'll be OK!
post #919 of 6894 Old 08-24-2002, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JD-NH
re: Universal Video on the Vr-5090, 5700, and 5900, the receiver wil UPCONVERT any signal to component, but will not downconvert component at all (what's the point if you're viewing S anyway?) So just connect everything in your system with composite and S if your TV only has an S video input and you'll be OK!

Well the point of it would be in my case being able to wire everything now for my future HDTV, and not have to worry about it. Just add the component video to the Entre when I get the set and be done. Not to mention that the website for Kenwood stated that it did in fact up and down convert. Oh well.
post #920 of 6894 Old 08-24-2002, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I pretty much have my whole system hooked up, but not sure about the remote cables and the control cables. I have a remote cable installed between the Entre and the Receiver. No other cables between devices. Am I supposed to have them hooked up between anything else? And if so, which type, and between which components?

Also, from what I can tell, the control cable that came with the DVD changer, is a "stereo" cable, while all the others I got (and see mentioned in manuals) are "mono" style. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Kirby
post #921 of 6894 Old 08-24-2002, 10:37 AM

Kirby-
Ahh...I see what you mean. Just out of curiosity, I checked both the online manual and the product description and only found this reference:

"A Universal Video HD video transcoder lets you watch composite and S-Video sources through an advanced component-video equipped monitor for the best possible picture quality - and it's ready for high definition video..."
-from KenwoodUsa. com product description of VR5900

and I KNOW the manual doesn't claim downconversion of component, but it is a complicated feature. I guess your best bet would be to run the S video AND component, and simply disconnect the 2 S cables when you get your new TV. Good luck!
post #922 of 6894 Old 08-24-2002, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

When you view kenwoodusa.com, and the VR5900 main page, click on "technology" and see this listed:
Quote:

Universal Video HD

To you, Universal Video HD means fewer wires between your Kenwood Sovereign Receiver and your TV or monitor. It also means you don't have make two steps to switch video sources. What Universal Video HD does is automatically upconvert or downconvert the video signal from composite, S-Video or component to the highest quality connection out to your TV or monitor. Even HDTV signals! You get the benefit of the highest quality picture possible with easy connection and easy operation. Plus, recording from TV, cable or satellite is remarkably simple. Universal Video HD is featured on the VR-5900, VR-5700 and VR-5090.

But as you suggested, I ran dual connections, and will abandon the S-video later.
post #923 of 6894 Old 08-24-2002, 10:52 AM

Kirby-
The bit with the "stereo" and "mono" cables is a little odd...let it suffice to say that you can use either when the connection calls for mono, but only stereo when the connection calls for stereo. For your aplication (IR control) the "tip" and "ring" conductors are simply shorted out and used in place of the sigle "tip" conductor you'd find on a mono cable. The "shield" conductor remains the same for both.
Good luck!
JD
post #924 of 6894 Old 08-24-2002, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Jennifer:

The Axcess will do just what you said it would....that being...Stream your MP3's and also connect you to Internet radio. Note though...to use Internet radio you need to be using a DLS or cable modem (or other highspeed connection) and also a Home PNA to Eithernet Bridge.

But that is what it was made from...MP3's from the Entre and Internet Radio. All info shows on the unit's display and if something is playing you want more information on...you can press an OpenGlobe button and it will store your selection on the Entre so you can look it up on screen later. You can play up to 4 streams at the same time to 4 diffent Axcess Points.

The units have a 20 watt amp in them so all you need to do is add speakers. It also has Low Level RCA Audio out jacks so you can hook it into your home receiver you you want. It also has a AUX in for like TV hookup.

So...Sorry...it will not play your CD's for you.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #925 of 6894 Old 08-24-2002, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the info. In the back of my mind, I was hoping it could do it all (MP3, Internet Radio, Radio, and CDs) since it is all tied to the Entre already. I guess I will have to start looking for a different solution.

Is there something out there that could control all of these functions without costing a ton of money. I plan on running speakers to the bedroom and another set for around the house. Eventually, adding a TV to the bedroom would be an option. Something that could control the entre and pipe the audio and video to that location would be nice.

Regards,

Jennifer Prince
post #926 of 6894 Old 08-25-2002, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I know, I'm late to the party compared to most all of you, so please be gentle.

Got everything hooked up this weekend finally, and as David had recommended, I upgraded the Entre's software before installing it with anything else. This went fine, and then I told the Entre to rebuild to Sirius stations, and it apparently did.

However, now when I am in Radio, up at the top of the screen I keep getting a message about "Please press (open globe button) to update Sirius links.." or something like that. How do I make it stop?! Or is this normal?

Also, on the DVD lookups, I only have a paltry 82 DVD's right now, 7 of which were Unknown. Manual lookup has solved all but one, that being "Batman & Robin". Anyone have luck lookuping this DVD?? I've tried just about every combo I can think of.

Thanks.
post #927 of 6894 Old 08-25-2002, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Jennifer... The reason it can not do CD is because it would have to encode it on the fly to stream it to you. Not to mention...seeing it can support up to 4 users at the same time...if you are playing a CD and someone else case to...they would be stuck and thus loose that function. Not that they could not make it say "Already in use" or something like that. But the issue here is the encoding live at the same time and the time for all this to occure. Burn your CD's to the Entre and problem solved.

Kirby... The top banner is just that ...a banner that they replace like we do on this site. It is used to let people know about things. In this case, to update your i-radio info. No big deal.

Glad to read all is working well...I do not have that DVD so I am sorry...no help on that one. Darn...somewhere in this very big thread is an e-mail address for Kenwood to send your missing DVD info to so they can have it added by OpenGlobe.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #928 of 6894 Old 08-25-2002, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

How about dvdtitles@kenwoodusa.com? Gotta love the printable version link, and "display all 8796345 posts on one page" to search by
post #929 of 6894 Old 08-25-2002, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

LOL....Never thought of that!!!

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #930 of 6894 Old 08-25-2002, 06:09 AM

Any idea as to how many MP3s it takes to fill up the internal hard drive?

Regards,

Jennifer Prince
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page