Kenwood Sovereign System (Changer, Entre, and Receiver) Issues and Answers - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2002, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by princer
Does anyone have a Pronto Pro CCF for IR Codes for the Kenwood Sovereign equipment? My husband recieved a Pronto Pro for our anniversary present (from me ) He is having a difficult time getting the Pronto to learn the remote for the Entre.

We have the following equipment for our home theater:

TV Toshiba TW56x81
DSS Toshiba DRD303RA
Reciever Kenwood Sovereign VR5700
DVD Kenwood Sovereign DV5900M
Hub Kenwood Sovereign Entre

To accompany this we have x-10 for lighting control (and a sweet sound system with our Atlantic Technology 350THX speakers).

Regards,

Jennifer Prince
princer7@attbi.com

Jennifer,

If your husband hasnt yet, he needs to http://www.remotecentral.com and check out the huge Pronto file area

As for learning, and having difficulty, is he trying to learn direct to the remote, or learn with the remote hooked up to the PC (and learn into the software)? I dont have my CCF done yet, so I cant send it, but I do know that there are some CCF's on the site above, that you could copy and paste the IR codes into your CCF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2002, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jennifer, where can I find a wife that will buy me all those toys, as it is now, I have to sneak out and buy my toys when she is out of town and than hope she doesn't realize that there is another piece of home theatre equipment in the enterainment unit.

there are plenty of ccf for pronto at remote central, good luck and be sure to tell your husband that you love him before he starts fiddling with the pronto and the computer...remember to feed him once and a while, because once he gets started with the pronto, it will be months before he is human again.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by princer
Does anyone have a Pronto Pro CCF for IR Codes for the Kenwood Sovereign equipment? My husband recieved a Pronto Pro for our anniversary present (from me ) He is having a difficult time getting the Pronto to learn the remote for the Entre.

Jennifer:

I don't know why that would be. I have two CCFs posted at Remote Central, one for the Pronto Pro, and the other for the Marantz RC 9200, and each has the DV5900 and the Entre. But you are always better off teaching them from the hard buttons than downloading the codes.

The far better of the two is the one for the RC9200, on that site. It's called "The Marilyn Remote," because it's got all kind of Marilyn Monroe Icons on it.

It takes practice and tinkering on the ProntoProEdit software, but once he has a configuration he likes, he'll still want to teach the remote, as much as possible, from the hard buttons themselves. By the way, do you know that the discrete codes for the DV5900 (on/off) are taught from the keyboard supplied with the DV5900?

He can PM me if he wants any help.

Nick
Old 08-30-2002, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I am relieved to hear the Pronto does in fact work with the Kenwood Sovereign components (Entre, DV5900, etc). We were a bit concerned when the Pronto would fail to learn codes directly from the Entre's remote. The CCF for the Entre on the Remote Central site looks great! BTW, how did you create the buttons/graphics for the CCF?

Now I have something to tinker with for a few hours...days, etc.

Have a great weekend!!

Roger Prince
princer7@attbi.com
Old 08-31-2002, 09:39 AM

Liked: 11
I have one little problem I can't seem to solve. I have 215 audio discs loaded and a few DVDs. (Just starting my DVD collection now) There are 2 audio CDs that were given the same Title, Track, and Cover art info. They are both by the same artist of which I have 30 other CDs by. But these 2 seem linked together in some mysterious way.

Using the Media Manager software I corrected the one disc that was wrong. I put in the correct info and cover art and sync'd the library. Well, it changed both disc's info to the one I updated. So I tried re-entering the info directly into the Entre using the edit disc option. After saving the changes I see that it renamed the other CD again to match the one I edited.

Ok, now I removed the incorrect CD from the changer and close the door. Entre goes through it's lookup routine and determines that slot is now empty. Good. I put the CD back into the changer and let Entre do it's magic. It looks at the disc, but does not bother contacting Gracenote. It just stuck the old, incorrect, info back in. So I still have 2 CDs with identical info and every time I change one, it changes the other to match.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should try to get these 2 separated?

Thanks,
Bob Stanley
Old 08-31-2002, 01:16 PM

Bob-
To have the system do a fresh lookup for a disc:
Go to "Music" guide
Highlight the disc you'd like to edit
Press "Options"
select "Edit Disc"
select "lookup this disc"
the unit will contact Openglobe and re-d0 the TOC lookup.

Good luck!
Jeff
Old 08-31-2002, 01:53 PM

Jeff-
Sorry, I forgot to mention I tried that too. There needs to be a way to completely wipe a single disc from memory and have it look it up again. The 2 discs are still displaying identical info. Anything I do to one disc auto applies itself to the other disc. I've tried moving them to different slots too. No luck.

Bob
Old 08-31-2002, 02:15 PM

Just got it fixed. I took both discs out and let Entre discover the 2 empty slots. I then put in just one disc and let it look it up. It was identified correctly. I then added the 2nd disc and it was also identified correctly.

I did this yesterday without success. For whatever reason it worked this time, so it's all good.

Bob
Old 08-31-2002, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JD-NH
Bob-
To have the system do a fresh lookup for a disc:
Go to "Music" guide
Highlight the disc you'd like to edit
Press "Options"
select "Edit Disc"
select "lookup this disc"
the unit will contact Openglobe and re-d0 the TOC lookup.

Good luck!
Jeff

Jeff:

I'm assuming you'd advise the same process for video DVDs, but has anyone else noticed that if you're putting a different disc in a slot previously occupied (and looked up by Entre), this often won't work--you get the same information as was there before. Also, since the software update, I've had the error a few times of the Entre reading the slot next to the one I've entered; so if I'm putting in Pulp Fiction Collector's Edition in slot 73, and Braveheart is in slot 74, I get two Entre listings of Braveheart.

The way I've been successful in correcting it thus far is to go in through the back door (or front door, I guess, depending on your perspective). That is, I go to the setup menu, enter Changer Management, and then Lookup Range. But, even when it's just one slot, I'll enter the range as, for example, 73 to 73. That approach usually tells the Entre that a different disc is in the slot, whereas the Edit Disc approach did not.

Of course, people wouldn't normally know about such things unless they had to keep swapping new discs into a full DV5900, and placing the other ones in the Changer-in-Waiting DV-5050M--because I've been dealing with the product for a long time now with a full changer. That's why I've harped as much as I have about getting multi-changer control (still waiting for CEDIA--won't lose my cool until then). You get a unique perspective when you're always dealing with a player that has 400 discs in it--new situations get pointed out that wouldn't otherwise be pointed out.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 08-31-2002, 09:56 PM

Jeff,

Per your message about help interfacing Sovereign equipment, can you provide any information on the RS-232 commands for the 5700/5900 receivers? I have extracted many of the commands but would be very grateful if you could provide a complete list.

I know there are many more commands available than I have discovered. In particular I am looking for the commands to adjust the surround levels, enter test tone mode and set tuner presets.

I've got the RS-232 protocol reference for the 5900 changer but cannot find anything on the receivers.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

If you know the 5900 RS-232C serial commands please send them to me as well by PM or by email.

Ken Elliott
Old 09-01-2002, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

just to confirm, David was right. you can't hook up a usb to wireless adapter to the entre. it doesn't recognize it and you can't load usb drivers into the entre. just ordered the dlink hpna bridge. seems more elegant solution than net mate to wireless access point to maybe another wireless access point.

rather be lucky than good.
Old 09-01-2002, 04:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hey all Does anyone know how to eliminate CD info downloaded from Gracenote(If you no longer wanted that cd in your collection??) and also does anyone know how I connect my PC to the Entre' and will it help with anything but managing MP3.......and lastly does anyone know when DVD audio support is coming??

I know it sounds great and looks great.....but can we communicate with it? If not it is useless:)
Old 09-02-2002, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, got a question regarding DVD coverart. I had put in a DVD and it was identified and all went well. Problem is that it was a Pan&Scan DVD, which was meant to be for someone else, so I swapped the disc for the widescreen version. Same slot. Problem now is the coverart still shows the PS coverart (yes they are different just barely) and I cant get it to get the proper cover. What I am to do? Is there a way to get it changed?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

I am pulling the trigger and getting the VR5900, the Entre, and the DV5900. It will be joined with a Xantech multi-room/multi-source, PS2, and a Mitsubishi 73909. Any feedback or strong cautions against the Sovereign line? You all told me 2 months ago that although it has it's bugs, it is still a great system and the best of it's kind out there. Thanks.

Go Noles
Old 09-02-2002, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Kirby Baker
Ok, got a question regarding DVD coverart. I had put in a DVD and it was identified and all went well. Problem is that it was a Pan&Scan DVD, which was meant to be for someone else, so I swapped the disc for the widescreen version. Same slot. Problem now is the coverart still shows the PS coverart (yes they are different just barely) and I cant get it to get the proper cover. What I am to do? Is there a way to get it changed?

Thanks.

I'd be surprised if you can. I've seen a few DVDs out there with more than one version of cover art, but, as I recall, the reason that a lot of us early adopters couldn't get cover art for certain discs is that it was only available on pan & scan versions, and something about the lookup procedure wouldn't pull those covers for us.

Now that those covers are getting pulled up, I don't know that this means that more than one version of cover art is available for a given DVD. Quite frankly, if you've got the right movie for the right disc, that would satisfy me as far as cover art goes, because you will wind up making a few compromises here and there. One of my initial compromises was having to live with the animated title cover art for discs like Pink Panther and Last of the Mohicans. Those things got cured eventually, but there are still some mismatches. This one I wouldn't worry too much about.

Nick
Old 09-03-2002, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Nick,

I guess you were right. I guess it was my greedy side getting the best of me. I will just try and ignore the "Fullscreen" at the bottom of the cover art!
Old 09-03-2002, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kelliot
If you know the 5900 RS-232C serial commands please send them to me as well by PM or by email.

check out ...

http://juken.sourceforge.net/protocol/

DVD (and CD) changer RS-232 protocol documented there.

Rob
Old 09-04-2002, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ok, this got buried in all the Entre discussion, but does anyone have any information on the 5900M firmware upgrade? The summer is fading fast...

Quote:

Originally posted by crbaldwin
Several posts/pages back it was mentioned that a firmware upgrade for the 5900M would be supplied this "summer" that would address the layer-change issue and hopefully other issues. What ever became of this?

Old 09-04-2002, 11:31 AM

You know I don't recall ever seeing a layer change that wasn't less than a second with any of the three 5900Ms I've had.

Do you have any specific examples of disks that take excessive time?

I'd like to see if there is a difference between players - possibly by serial # batches.

If you know the layer change time please include in your response along with your serial #. Mine is 20400204 (replaced 10801024 & 10801011).
Old 09-04-2002, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

when this thread started i think tomb raider was mentioned a lot with a long layer change.

Old 09-04-2002, 02:09 PM

Armageddon has about a 2-3 second pause right as it changes from Chapter 13 to 14. Someone said Harry Potter had a huge delay at the end of the Troll scene. I borrowed it from a friend to see, but it was only a 1/10th of a second at most on mine. I didn't even see it at first. Nothing noticeable on Star Wars Episode 1 or The Matrix that I have seen.

DV-5900M #1110xxxx

Bob
Old 09-04-2002, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

the easiest way to find a particular post is to do a search on this forum and then choose the "Post" option. That will show you each post that has your search criteria.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Re: Finding a previous post
The previous suggestion of using the option at the top of "Thread ---> Show Printable Version" and then clicking on the top right "Show all xxxx posts from this thread on one page" seems pretty good. Then user Cntl+F to bring up your IE find dialog box or equiv.

Re: Are you edgy playing with the Entre while your expensive CRT/LCD bulb(s) count down the hours?
For less then $100 you can get a 13" TV w/video-input to put next to your Entre and play with the Entre showing the menu on the 13" TV. Just leave your CRT/LCD off and hook up the Entre composite output to your little TV. As David B pointed out to me the Entre sends video out to all places at once. For me this made a big difference in playing with more features of the Entre. Also don't forget to do the Setup | Audio & Video Settings | Screen Centering to help with losing letters/etc on the left screen border due to over scanning.

Re: Creating playlist via the web interface
Anyone else using the web interface ?

In order to do this you need to do a:
1) Setup | Utilities | Websync
2) Setup | User Info | Remote Admin (copy down LoginID and password).
3) Go to http://www.openglobe.net/kenwood and enter LoginID/PW.

Kenwood folks, please notice that Genre info is missing.
LL

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
Old 09-05-2002, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

that looks pretty cool. hope they keep enhancing it. i think that is the preferred way of managing network devices.

Old 09-06-2002, 07:35 PM

MAYBE I JUST HAVENT READ ENOUGH, BUT I'M TRYING TO MOVE THE MP3 FROM A PLAYLIST SOTRED ON THE ENTE TO MY COMPUTER. I THEN WANT MOVE THE MP3 TO AN IPOD. I'VE RIPPED THE TRACKS TO THE ENTRE AND HAVE A PLAY LIST, BUT JUST CAN'T FIGURE OUT THE TRASFER TO THE COMPUTER.

THANKS,
Old 09-06-2002, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Please do not TYPE ALL IN CAPS...I thought you were YELLING. Thanks.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Old 09-06-2002, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ScottF200
[b]
Re: Creating playlist via the web interface
Anyone else using the web interface ?

In order to do this you need to do a:
1) Setup | Utilities | Websync
2) Setup | User Info | Remote Admin (copy down LoginID and password).
3) Go to http://www.openglobe.net/kenwood and enter LoginID/PW.

Kenwood folks, please notice that Genre info is missing.

Scott:

After I got my Entre, I sort of tuned out to the Entre downloads (like netnamer and the Media Manager (is that the right name?)) despite downloading it. I did notice that, when I had recorded some stuff to the HD, it would appear on the Openglobe site after I'd entered my password.

Is it now true that you can upload a DVD playlist on the web interface, re DVD titles? Or is this for just music?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 09-07-2002, 02:19 PM

Nick, last time I tried this a few weeks ago it was only for music titles. The same goes for the MediaManager. The ability to edit and manage DVD titles outside of the Entre is a big waekness in my book. From what I can see there has not been much enhancement of the MediaManager nor the web interface since the launch of these applications about a year ago. I suspect there is not even a part time dedicated person responsible for these applications, so I suspect we will never see these long awaited features to be added by Kenwood. The best bet is probably a third party software to be developed by a skilled software engineer outside of Kenwood.

Lars Berglund
Plano, TX
Old 09-09-2002, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I remain very hopeful that Kenwood will make good on the multichanger support. In fact, I remain so hopeful that I began to shop around for another DV-5050M (or even a DV-5900), which would give me three changers. It's as much about wanting to get everything set up as it is about filling discs, though I'm probably close to 100 discs into my 2d changer already, without any realistic way of accessing them, since I haven't been entering them manually.

So now that CEDIA is around the corner . . .Jeff . . . . is there anything close to an official word that this will even be addressed there? Maybe you won't have the apparatus for the fix ready . . . but maybe you can confirm that the subject will be discussed?

Forget about all other issues for the moment. Any word that multichanger support will at least be mentioned. Still says "coming soon" on the website, but, of course, it said it was already there when many of us purchased it. I'm not going to CEDIA, and there's nothing on the CEDIA website which is at all helpful.

Thanks,

Nick