Kenwood Sovereign System (Changer, Entre, and Receiver) Issues and Answers - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 6894 Old 09-21-2002, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, I am using Sprint DSL at 512kb.

Go Noles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 6894 Old 09-21-2002, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

i thought the solution was to use a hardcoded ip address.

Quote:

Originally posted by DerekFSU
Just got the Entre, DVD, and receiver. Purchased the approved Belkin Ethernet hub. Downloaded Entre update via dial-up. Now, I keep getting DNS Failure errors. Have worked with Kenwood to no avail. Have checked that line is working, that hub is working, that there are no firewalls, that everything is dynamic including router. I have also tried the dynamic with listed DNS's. Router is a SMS wireless but entre is hardwired into router.

Any ideas out there? Thanks.

rather be lucky than good.
post #1083 of 6894 Old 09-21-2002, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DerekFSU
Downloaded Entre update via dial-up. Now, I keep getting DNS Failure errors.

So your connection setup has been consistent but after you downloaded the .10 release you started getting DNS look up failures? Or did I misread something (albeit you were terse )

One thought is to get the LAN version of this DNS management software. http://www.extratools.com/extradns.htm . Basically your main computer is a DNS server and your other internet 'appliances/computers' talk to it for DNS lookup. I suggest this because it logs DNS activity ... always nice to have some clues since the Entre diagnostic information is limited.

P.S. Kenwood/OpenGlobe, I have to admit after getting the Axcess that I've come to appreciate some of the networking issues (stream multiple Axcess MP3/i-radio when Entre is on or in standby, etc) that KW/OG had to deal with in designing the products to be flexible in talking to each other and to the internet. There are a lot of ways to hook those guys up and it just magically tries to handle it ... often pretty well ... sometimes not.

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #1084 of 6894 Old 09-21-2002, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Exactly Scott. It started after I got .10. Thanks for the advice.

Derek

Go Noles
post #1085 of 6894 Old 09-22-2002, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm reading with interest because its either an Entre or a more complicated piece of open domain software combined with DVDProfiler and DVDLobby. I'm hoping that CEDIA will provide some info because I/ve got a 10% coupon for GoodGuys that expires 10/5. Being an authorized Kenwood dealer, its about as good as I could do with the Entre.

Ken Elliott
post #1086 of 6894 Old 09-23-2002, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm still hoping (probably against hope) that later this week we'll get great news from CEDIA where Kenwood is presenting. But Jeff's earlier response sure didn't inspire confidence in that. Despite that response, I'm hoping that it's just not a widely known matter at Kenwood.

I know ithe issue of multi-changer support is not a tangible problem for most of the Entre owners, because only a few people have an actual need, at the moment, for Entre to support more than one changer. I would hate for that to be the reason that Kenwood drags its feet on the issue, i.e., who cares about a few multi-changer owners despite how the product was marketed?

I'll be anxiously reading posts from those of you at CEDIA, hopefully with good news.

Nick
post #1087 of 6894 Old 09-23-2002, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

sigh.........

my player experienced the dreaded cannot play disc error again. After watching Monsters Inc 3 times over the weekend, on the fourth playing it froze and then it couldn't play any disc. The dvd was brand new and it hadn't been removed from the player after watching it 3 times.

There is no fix to that problem. You just shut off the player for a few hours and it magically begins working again. Anything else that you try does not work. It may appear to work, but it's just coincidence. The player seems to require a certain amount of time to pass before it resets whatever went haywire with the freeze.

I have the feeling that this problem happens every nth number of total disc playing. Because of the kids the 5900 gets a lot of use in my house so I see it every few months. I never turn off the unit.

Jeff does Kenwood have any statistics on this problem? Is it even acknowledged? It is so infrequent that probably many people do not bother reporting it. I know I haven't.

post #1088 of 6894 Old 09-23-2002, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

i just found a whole category of devices that allow you to control your pc via regular infrared like that of remote controls. They are basically just a small ir receiver that connects to your computer via the serial port. they seem compatible with 95 percent of the remote controls.

So if you can connect the video out of the computer to your tv, you can use dvdlobby as your interface and one of these devices with the software to control dvd lobby. It should be a matter of programming macros that issue the play command in dvdlobby and change inputs on your tv. If you want to bring up dvd lobby again, another macro to switch inputs back to the computer.

It's not as complicated as I previously thought. The dvdprofiler integration is probably the most work.

Anyway just mentioning it since there are a few of us on the fence. I just moved one step closer. The barcode reader was a great idea. In another forum it was mentioned that they were using one of the big ones, so with one click it read the entire upc code.

post #1089 of 6894 Old 09-23-2002, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by slocko

It's not as complicated as I previously thought. The dvdprofiler integration is probably the most work.

Anyway just mentioning it since there are a few of us on the fence. I just moved one step closer. The barcode reader was a great idea. In another forum it was mentioned that they were using one of the big ones, so with one click it read the entire upc code.

I have a PM into the DVD Lobby designer, and that's my backup plan. I still, for the sheer sake of inertia, want to use Entre . . . but if CEDIA's not the "event," when is? At some point, you just have to quit waiting. I still keep buying DVDs, and I'm using the Library/User File on the 2d Kenwood changer, because Entre stops working after the 1st.

That said, if DVD Profiler is the user interface, there's just no comparison. I'm close enough to having all the equipment that I may get it anyway, and I hope that I get the chance to actually live with both for a while, at least for comparison's sake. Still hoping for good news, Kenwood. Suprise me.

Nick
post #1090 of 6894 Old 09-23-2002, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got a Progear and would like to use it with DVDLobby. What's the easiest way to use it with the Kenwood? I'm sure its in the mile long threads on the HTPC forum but I could use a good faq on it.

Ken Elliott
post #1091 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 12:08 AM

I, for one, will be extremely disappointed (ok, really pissed off) if Kenwood fails to introduce multi-changer to the entre. I did purchase two 5900's and the entre only because it would daisy chain. I have over 600 DVD's in my collection. If I can't daisy chain than I should have stayed with the Sony DVD multi-changers and just purchased 4 of them for 1/3 the price I paid for these two kenwoods and the entre. I was told that the multi-changer function would be introduced in June (I guess I forgot to ask what year).

The real question becomes, can we use DVD Profiler and a PC to accomplish the task of multi-changers, becasue quite frankly, DVD Profiler is the best inventory program I have seen. With the cost of computers at an all time low, it would be more cost effective to just replace the entre with a full blown computer that can rip and burn CD's/DVD'd, access the web, and download DVD Profiler onto your tv screen.
post #1092 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by zinja
I, for one, will be extremely disappointed (ok, really pissed off) if Kenwood fails to introduce multi-changer to the entre. I did purchase two 5900's and the entre only because it would daisy chain. I have over 600 DVD's in my collection. If I can't daisy chain than I should have stayed with the Sony DVD multi-changers and just purchased 4 of them for 1/3 the price I paid for these two kenwoods and the entre. I was told that the multi-changer function would be introduced in June (I guess I forgot to ask what year).

The real question becomes, can we use DVD Profiler and a PC to accomplish the task of multi-changers, becasue quite frankly, DVD Profiler is the best inventory program I have seen. With the cost of computers at an all time low, it would be more cost effective to just replace the entre with a full blown computer that can rip and burn CD's/DVD'd, access the web, and download DVD Profiler onto your tv screen.

Well, we're in the distinct minority, and, unfortunately, it's easier for Kenwood to blow us off. I hope that they're not just giving lip service to this, but, without getting into particulars, I first heard "90 days" (right after I bought the Entre, and already had two changers), then I heard summer, then I heard CEDIA. Well, CEDIA is this week.

As for DVD Profiler, there is no question that it is a lights-out better interface than Entre . . . but can it control the DVD Changers, and give us a graphic UI on screeen? Supposedly, vis-a-vis the program called DVD LOBBY, the answer is yes. You have to be willing to introduce a computer and a s-link (device normally used to connect Sony CD Changers) to acheive that however, and I have no knowledge of functionality issues.

I'm calling Mario today (developer of DVD Lobby) and my objective is to get up and running with this as well. Then I can offer a comparison.

Make no mistake, I still want Entre to be the solution, because I think it's a great product. But at what point does Kenwood go from being "mistaken" to just outright "failing" (or worse yet, "deceiving")? I've waited nearly a year.

To all the users that don't yet have a full changer, you don't feel the significance of it yet, but the same can be true for the people that paid for a full spare tire in their trunk, but got a doughnut instead. Yes, it'll ride, but not for long.

I'm hoping that CEDIA gets rids of the doughnuts and gives us all full spares.

Nick
post #1093 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 08:13 AM

Hello everyone-
Just to be clear, Kenwood isn't "blowing you off"...we hear you loud and clear! Entre has been a learning experience for all of us, and it's come a long way in the past 12 months.
As for the much discussed mutli changer support, please hang in there...I don't know of a single press release promising this feature on a certain date, and will (joyfully) make one should the information come my way.
Until then...can we get this thread back on the good stuff? You know, the installation, use and enjoyment of the Sovereign products?
Cheers
Jeff

and in the immortal words of Art Dudley...Have a bunny! (cute tension-destroying picture of bunny should be inserted here...)
post #1094 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 09:55 AM

Hi Jeff,

can you then atleast assure us all that the Multi-Changer support is coming at one point in the future, i.e. that it is being worked on actively at Kenwood (and is confirmed on the product road map) ??

Thanks, /Lars
Plano, TX

Lars Berglund
Plano, TX
post #1095 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JD-NH
As for the much discussed mutli changer support, please hang in there...I don't know of a single press release promising this feature on a certain date, and will (joyfully) make one should the information come my way.

Well, Jeff . . . . there was the specification sheet on the Kenwood website when I bought it a year ago, and there was the spec sheet Kenwood issued to its dealers, again, a year ago. Surely you're not suggesting that Kenwood only speaks through its press releases, are you? As I noted in my response to your PM, I'm trying to be restrained on the public discussion of this subject, but then when I see this kind of backpedalling from Kenwood, you almost invite it.

If my information on CEDIA was wrong, so be it. But Kenwood should never forget that this was promised at the get-go, as an existing feature of this product, and that it's been a year.

Quote:

Until then...can we get this thread back on the good stuff? You know, the i installation, use and enjoyment of the Sovereign products?
Cheers
Jeff

You deserve Kenwood Employee of the year for this one. I hope that this thread has not been transformed into an advertisement for Kenwood Sovereign. That's where you get to talk about only the good stuff, but then you have to pay for it.

I still like Entre (for the first 400 discs), and it works great (on the first changer). I hope I can say that three times.

Nick
post #1096 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 10:45 AM

Nick-
Re: the employee of the year comment, please pass that up to my bosses, will you
Seriously though, I think it's VERY important to address all the issues and frustrations with this product as they arise, in addition to the good stuff. My concern currently is that there is a stated problem, namely the lack of Multi-Changer support, and as of right now, there is no known solution. No amount of re-posting the original problem is going to fix that.
So what do you say folks? Truce?
Jeff
post #1097 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 12:02 PM

Jeff, so in other words Kenwood does not have a solution for the Multi-Changer control in the works? or is it confidential whether they are trying to address this serious problem with the system? All I am asking is to know whether this is being worked on actively by Kenwood - but maybe that is asking too much!?!?

Lars Berglund
Plano, TX
post #1098 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

JD-NH,

Nice to have someone from Kenwood/Sovereign on the forum. And, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I am very, very far from being at the truce stage with the DV-5900M itself (forget the Entre).

Here's why:

- No random or sequential playback for lists created using the OSD (for different genres or custom file types). How could this be? This would be the first feature I'd implement on a mega-changer. When I select a disc, when it's done, it goes to the next disc in the changer in numerical order. Unfortunately, I did not insert my discs in any type of order, so when the machine finishes Beethoven's 9th in slot 99, it begins to play Nirvana's Nevermind in slot 100!! This is really bad for a megachanger. It should at least go to the next disc in the list I've selected using the OSD.

- Can't select play random/sequential for a specific genre or user file using the OSD!

- MP3 output only available via the analog output. This is a digital medium, yet you're making me listen to it via the analog out.

- MP3 files are limited to 8.3 filenames. Lame.

- Read-only title info for discs with CD-TEXT. I have some CDs that have CD-TEXT, but ship incredibly useless titles in CD-TEXT. The 5900 won't let me overwrite this info with more descriptive/useful titles.

- 3-6 second layer change delay

- DVD-Audio sends garbage via the digital out. This is disturbing when listing to normal CDs via coax, then the changer loads a DVD-A, and outputs garbage and noise through the speakers! This is dangerous to my home theater.

- You can not categorize using groups via the OSD or keyboard. You have to use the remote control.

- Can't bring up the OSD while a disc is playing.

- Scanning the entire library every time the unit is turned on

- Automatically playing the last CD/DVD played when turned on -- sooo horrible, that this "feature" alone makes me think twice before turning it on to listen to something... having to hit the STOP button 10 times while it "boots" and then having to wait for the DVD-V intro screens (that you cannot stop) finish, just to listen to a CD! AGH!

- No OSD display of disc/track/artist info during playback. AGH

- Pure Audio mode puts the kenwood splash screen back up in PAUSE mode

- Can't enter lowercase characters via the OSD using the keyboard

A lot of usability issues for a $1500 unit, wouldn't you agree?

Y'know, the 5900M would have been the product of the year and would have had such an enormous following if it wasn't so bloody frustrating. The audio and video quality is EXCELLENT, and mine, at least, is very reliable. But, it is terribly SLOW, and that speed becomes a barrier to entry for turning it on and selecting something to play -- a very unfortunate consequence.

There's still nothing else quite like the 5900M out there. Kenwood was way far ahead of everyone a year ago, and they still are! If they would only release a ROM upgrade to fix the above issues, I know many of my friends would buy one (one of my friends actually just SOLD his on ebay because it was too frustrating for him to deal with).

Sorry JD-NH, I didn't mean to B&M (bitch and moan) on your first day. Just take these comments back to your folks and have them focus on the customer's needs. I promise a loyal, profitable following in return.

Thanks!
post #1099 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Originally posted by kelliot
I just got a Progear and would like to use it with DVDLobby. What's the easiest way to use it with the Kenwood? I'm sure its in the mile long threads on the HTPC forum but I could use a good faq on it.

Ken,
The link is actually listed on my DVDLobby FAQ page as far as using a ProGear with DVDLobby Pro.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=dvdlobby

A member of the AVSForum who wrote the above tutorial also wrote a great program that he use's to sync DVDLobby Pro up to 7 of his ProGears scattered throughout the home. The tutorial is geared towards an HTPC but could be modified for every individual situation.

Here's a link to his new software that does a lot of other cool things like sorting by genre, title..., automatic conversion of images, edit descriptions, add your own images, etc.
http://www.webpromotion.com/cinemar/....3rdparty.html

I'm trying to get the command line parameters from another programmer for communication with the Kenwood changer.

I had the pleasure of speaking with Nick today. He should be up-and-running soon.
post #1100 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JD-NH
Seriously though, I think it's VERY important to address all the issues and frustrations with this product as they arise, in addition to the good stuff. My concern currently is that there is a stated problem, namely the lack of Multi-Changer support, and as of right now, there is no known solution. No amount of re-posting the original problem is going to fix that.
So what do you say folks? Truce?
Jeff

Jeff, does "truce" mean "quit talking about the lack of multichanger support already?"

Jeff, here's the problem. Lars just asked whether it's in the works or not, and all you responded was "there is no known solution." Ok, but is it in the works, or not? That's the question that Kenwood won't answer directly. Never would. I thought it was going to get resolved this week, but you've made it clear that's not going to happen.

When it all gets broken down, there are only two possible responses by Kenwood on the subject:

-- (1) There will be a solution, we just can't say when that will be.

--(2) We don't know if there will ever be a solution.

All agree that this is a major issue. Now, logically, if, as you say "as of right now, there is no known solution," then the only real answer can be (2), i.e., you don't know if there ever will be one..

What you have to grasp is that this one is a deal-killer. If it's not going to happen then people who are purchasing sure want to know. And, even more, people who have already purchased want to know. So it's not as if people can just move on to the next subject with a "truce." I happen to like the cover art that gets downloaded off OpenGlobe. Should we stop talking about that, too? After all, it's already been mentioned. Or did you just mean stop talking about the bad things that have already been mentioned?

At last year's CES, the Kenwood representative at the Sovereign exhibit spent time trying to convince me that Kenwood had "never" promised multichanger support by Entre (this was a month after I purchased it). You have now stated that it was a "mistake" to have stated that on the Kenwood website, and that the mistake was rectified by removing it from the website. On the multiple occasions that I, and others, have talked to Kenwood about this, we get politician's answers ("we can neither confirm nor deny . . . "). And all the while, Kenwood has tried to convey the message that it "will" come, just as long as Kenwood doesn't say it.

This may sound hard to believe, but I'm just as tired of talking about this as you are of hearing it. I'm not interested in legal remedies (and I'm a lawyer) . . . I just want to know: IS THIS THING GOING TO WORK LIKE KENWOOD SAID IT WOULD? If you don't know if that will ever happen, THEN KENWOOD SHOULD JUST SAY SO. But to have a Kenwood representative appear on this site and ask for a "truce," meaning, quit talking about that subject, is just mind-boggling.

I'd like to quit talking about it. And, no, I'm not threatening to continue talking about it . . . unless Kenwood says something . . . again . . . I really want to move off it. Perhaps Kenwood should take comfort in the fact that I'm one of the few people that this really bothers, but, I would hate to see people arrive at disc 400 just in time for their warranty to have run.

I am a genuine admirer of Entre. I like it, and have said so. If the support I was promised is offered, I'll continue to say so. I was genuinely enthused when you first appeared on this board, because it signified to me that this question had been answered, and Kenwood was no longer "hiding" from the subject. I just want to know if I should stick with the program, and the ANSWER to the question of multichanger support is a vital piece of information for that decision.

I would like to think that getting an answer is as simple as asking the question. But that would be too easy.

Nick
post #1101 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 06:38 PM

I bought the two 5900 and entre for one purpose and one only, so that I could have multi-changer support. I don't rip CD's or record them onto mp3, I don't have a TV capable of progressive scan. I took back two Sony's because they could not be daisy chained. I returned 5 pioneer multi-changers because of the reliabilty problems (4 of 5 broke within two weeks of illing them up, try an load 300-400 DVD's manually (takes three solid days each time).

As a sidelight, I purchased a Philips DVD burner for my computer. The box said it would burn RW+ and R+ DVD's. Low and behold, there is no software fix to permit it to burn R+. Philips is shipping their newest DVD burner that does both standards. Moral of the story: If you advertise it, you must be prepared to support it and make it work or replace it with a product that will work as advertised. I salute Philips for stepping up to the plate.

My point? I expect Kenwood to fulfill its advertising hype. It said that it would support multi-changers...it has a choice, either fulfill its advertising promises, replace the units with ones that do, or be prepared to make full refunds on the products. This is not me or anyone else on this fourm moaning and bitching. We are simply asking for something that was promised us in advertising.

Am I an attorney? You bet I am, who else could afford the very high prices of these Kenwood top of the line, leading edge products? Do I enjoy litigation? No way, I am a litigation defense attorney specializing in securities fraud. But, that does not mean that I and others that have purchased Kenwood products and have stayed loyal for these many months will not be forced to look at other alternatives.

Jeff, if you read this far, we only want to know if and when multi-changer functionality will be available. Its only fair that we be given a reasonable time frame ("sometime in the near future" is not sufficient. Look, we all like the product and want it to succeed, or we certainly would have returned these products a long time ago.

Why do we keep harping on this topic? For me and others with over 400 DVD/CD's, this is probably the most important reason for our purchases. We like the product, even though they ALL have a humming (vibration) problem, even though they all have hiccups and on ocassion say that a disk cannot be read (even though it played it the night before). Jeff we are not knocking thses products, we are simply asking to be treated fairly, kept in the loop and permitted to offer constructive insights in this leading edge technology.
post #1102 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 09:24 PM

I agree with the folks that are asking for the multi-changer functionality to be resolved. My company just became a Kenwood dealer. We were planning to sell the Sovereign stack with Crestron systems for our larger customers. Many of our customers don't the Escient or the Audio Request. The Sovereign is an excellent alternative, but...... Daisy chaining is crucial. I will be at Cedia and if nothing official is announced, then we'll have to re-think our offerings. I already have this system working in our show home integrated with Crestron wireless color touch screens. Changer is full. All customers that have seen it have placed orders with us for it, but most have more that 400 cd/dvd. This issue is the single biggest. I'll keep my fingers crossed, for a short while.

anthony
post #1103 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Re: we/they've come a long way
I spent some time looking at many of the earlier post on this thread. Heck I've found problems that I had with the Entre/5900 that I forgot I had. 1:45, rental play hard button not working, subtitles on, etc. Time can be a good thing . I recall harping that the tips website was not working on a couple too many post http://www.kenwoodusa.com/sovereign/latest_tips but they resolved that. Of course my main issue was that for each release they don't tell us what they fixed. Still it appears they have fixed a variety of things and we all would probably pretty darn impressed if we knew all the work they KW/OG have done and many things I'd guess because we and other power users have brought them up.

We know KW/OG read this thread. David has told us so, Brian(KW) has responded and Jeff(KW a.k.a. JD-NH) is now here getting buggy whipped. (yes, a dead horse reference )

I want multi-changer support as well. I've brought it up as well and created another thread. I've pointed to the old Kenwood website that states the Entre controls 3. I've mentioned it to Jeff in a P.S. in PM about mainly some Axcess issue. In early post various sources indicated it is being worked on. I honestly believe it is. No doubt they have obstacles. No doubt they will resolve them. Little doubt there will be a few bugs to get worked out once it is released.

Heck if you had to guess you'd probably say they had prioritized Axcess and some other things above the multi-changer support. Look how long it took to get the Axcess out.

It would be nice if we got some confirmation it is actively being worked on and a % complete kind of number. With the lawyers in the house {thread} you could see why they may hesitate to state anything at all.

Re: FAQs
I've looked at the Entre FAQ (MM listed at end) recently. They are 'ok' and answer some questions that have been brought up. I noticed they have a e-mail address to address Entre problems. Not sure this has been mentioned or whether people have sent anything to it and have gotten a response (I think the DVDTitles e-mail never gives a response...ie not even an auto response - as in 'We got it. Thanks.'

BTW, when I was having Axcess problem I was directed to a Sovereign specific phone number. Details: 1-800-536-9663, opt 1, then ext 8500. California time 10:30am - 6pm

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #1104 of 6894 Old 09-24-2002, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Scott:

Ok, your post inspired some historical reference of my own.

I actually started the first long thread on the Sovereign line. It was titled something like DV-5900 a Winner. There were several months worth of posts on that thread, and, when it started, my Entre was on order. The DV-5900 was already out. Ironically, through the tenure of that thread, we learned (after receiving our Entres) that multichanger support was not being offered, despite the direct opposite being stated on Kenwood's website, spec sheets, and even in the setup menu of the Entre itself.

David then started this thread, which took over the discussion. As I've read it over to get an historical perspective, I note that all of us owe a lot to David for the unselfish effort and work that he's done.

On December 14, 2001, a few weeks after this thread began, this is what Kenwood had to say:

Quote:

I have been in close contact with the people at both Kenwood and OpenGlobe. I can assure you that they do read the site and the issues being raised by us great early adopters are being looked at. Now I am not talking to just the support line...but product managers and the people who can really answer the questions we have had. The great news, is they approached me because of this site.

Specifically, what the people at Kenwood said was:

Quote:

Entre Multi Changer Support....This is also being looked into and plans are being made to make this work as intended.

I have been the most vocal about this, because I've been with this from the beginning. Unlike most of you, I have owned two changers from the beginning.

The reality is that Jeff's message as of today, that there is no "known solution"is a message of no progress whatsoever.--in about a year. It's the essence of being noncommital. I don't blame Jeff, because, hell, he just works there. But I'm beginnning to believe that this is not an issue of whether a fix exists. Can it really be that nearly a year passes without progress? Or is the issue really one of money? Stated bluntly, is it this: We'll see if enough people invest in Sovereign to justify the cost that a fix would involve?

And, no, this issue is not a "dead horse," as much as some people would like it characterized as such, because they would like it not discussed. If Kenwood comes out with an announcement that there will never be a fix, it will change the landscape altogether. No, they haven't said that, but in the year of "we're working on it," the question is again legitimately deserving the straightforward answer that Kenwood has never given. And to you people of experience, where actions speak louder than words, I ask again: Can it really take this long? Or is this an issue of money?

Again, I know that most of you don't "feel" this like I do, because most of you still have plenty of empty slots on that first changer, and, if there's no itch, you don't need to scratch. But do you care if your investment becomes obsolete? Do you plan on buying more DVDs? Maybe it will take a year, maybe more, to get to 400 . . . but do you really want to be in that position: Out of warranty, with a product that you thought could expand but the balloon doesn't blow up any further?

As for Kenwood's reticence to speak up because there are "lawyers in the house," I know that's a joke. A lawyer that was interested in anything but home theater gear could have done something about this a long time ago.

Nick
post #1105 of 6894 Old 09-25-2002, 05:31 AM

I'm also waiting for multi-changer support. My changer is full and I'm loading new discs into the rental slots. At lest I was doing this until it broke 4 weeks ago, I'm still waiting for the repair or replacement of my 5050M changer.

I guess I was smart in keeping my 2 Sony CD changers that have been working for years, without problems. I use the SLINK-E device to tap into the internet and control these CD changers. I works great! I'll keep my CD collection in the Sony changers.

I keep looking at adding changers and access modules, but not until the original usage is delivered. If Kenwood would refund my purchase price, I'll look into another alternative. As of today, I just don't think Kenwood deserves additional business from me.
post #1106 of 6894 Old 09-25-2002, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Re: They've come a long way

Very true that many thanks are in order for David B as well as many others who've contributed usage tips, bug reporting and debugging clues, quotes of relevant information from the manual and enhancement request. I didn't list others because I didn't want to offend anyone but, Nick, you are certainly on that list.

I don't know which of the points here I was trying to specifically make in my reference to beating a dead horse but I was not trying to say it is a dead issue.

An interesting point about whether KW/OG are not_working/working on the 3 changer support because they are waiting to see if the Sovereign line $ucceed$. I can imagine how much $ and time has been invested into this line and that fact it's software upgradeable is key to me in it's future.

It seems it is more likely a matter of priorities and resources as has been discussed here before. This makes the most logical common/business sense. Also we have to realize they probably weigh a lot of prioritizing into people have various pieces of the soverign line to work as a 'set'. Having recently added an Axcess I can appreciate that. Still I don't have the receiver so I don't seen complete integration and ease of use.

It would seem they would be downright foolish not to complete (we know it was intended per UI, etc) the multichanger support. For those that have less than 400 DVDs now (me) they more than likely will in the future. DVDs are getting cheaper and cheaper. Heck Blockbuster has the new deal of rent it and if you like then buy it for $9.99 (often). I was originally going to get 2 changers because I was going to put CDs in one. Way too slow to listen to a random group of music. Dumb of me to even consider that. Ripping to the Entre and playing MP3 (on the Axcess) is the only logical choice for me now.

I absolutely want the 3 changer support as well. No question. Do I mind it getting brought up occasionally? No. How it is brought up or the tone? ...well that's subjective... Do I like to get other usage tips, statuses, reminders of some great features (like the Sirius radio or addition info displayed in the OG interface) and positive things out of this thread. Absolutely. Should the various short comings of each device be brought up? Absolutely, that's how KW/OG will know address them or help in prioritizing.

Perhaps those wanting the multi-changer support and consider it a problem should e-mail EntreReports@kenwoodusa.com ? It was listed on the FAQ site.

I'll shut up now. My point of "They've come a long way" was that they have and that should be acknowledged. But "what have you done for me lately" is what most of us will say.

post #1107 of 6894 Old 09-25-2002, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

got the famous unplayable disc error again. this time i didn't turn it off, just let it set for a few hours. cleared up.

can this be laser alignment problem?

i am currently at 390 discs in the 5900. I moved drama series like TNG, OZ, Sopranos, Sex in the City, 24 hrs, off the player to my old Pioneer jukebox. That thing is so reliable and fast. I get nostalgic when I use it

I would love to replace it with a 5050, and almost did. But held off. I am also puzzled why after a year kenwood is not prepared to make a statement one way or another.

I am also surprised none of the magazines that have reviewed the entire system have made a big stink out of it.

post #1108 of 6894 Old 09-25-2002, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, regardless . . . I would like to hear what's stated at CEDIA. Isn't it going on on now?

Any reports from the field? Even to say "nothing new at CEDIA with Kenwood?" Or "Pioneer has introduced a competitive product?" Or, "DVD is out, laser disc returns."

Anything. Tell us.

Nick
post #1109 of 6894 Old 09-25-2002, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Nick....Friday, Saturday and Sunday is the Expo.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #1110 of 6894 Old 09-25-2002, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by David Bott
Nick....Friday, Saturday and Sunday is the Expo.

David:

If you get a chance, and if you have any interest in this sort of thing, mind strolling by the Philips exhibit, where they'll have the new i-Pronto on display? This is apparently a new 10" LCD color screen with internet connectivity, and supposedly the answer to thousands of questions. I just don't know what the questions are. I believe that it is a wireless broadband connection, and there was some discussion of being able to interact, vis-a-vis this new gadget, with sites like OpenGlobe, CDDB, etc.

Sounds like something that you could offer valuable insight into, as to whether it's a worthwhile product or not. I know this is off topic, but, if you have an interest and the time . . . .

If not, I'm sure others will report on it, but I'd be interested in your particular vantage point.

Nick
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page