Kenwood Sovereign System (Changer, Entre, and Receiver) Issues and Answers - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 6894 Old 12-18-2001, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I have not heard about any fix for the subtitle bug...I for one have not seen it this bug on my system.

As far as how fixes will take place....I am not sure. Seeing the 5900 can read ROM CD's...that could be the answer...but again, I do not know.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6894 Old 12-18-2001, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It definitelty replaces your info if it has it's own. The one additional problem I have found is that is has mislabelled a cd. It recognizes Chris Cornell's Euphira Morning for some reason as an Alice in Chains cd. When I enter in the correct info it finds the cover art for Chris Cornell but if you ask it to find album info it sets it back the Alice in chains.

maybe Open globe can address this if they are reading.

Also I have not had the problem of the unit shutting down unless I start a movie not using the entre.
post #93 of 6894 Old 12-20-2001, 06:51 AM

Liked: 10
Entre & DV-5900M Integration

I'm currently working with Kenwood Support on this issue, I was hoping someone here had already found a resolution.

** Problem: While playing an MP3 CD that's loaded into the DV-5900M, via the Entre's interface -- I get no audio unless I use the Denon's EXT IN (6/7 CH IN).

If I create a playlist which contains:

* an MP3 stored on the Entre's hard-drive
* a track from a Audio CD stored on the DV-5900
* a track from an MP3 CD stored on the DV-5900

To hear audio from this playlist, I will need to:

* press EXT IN for the MP3 CD Track playing on the 5900
* press ANALOG for MP3 track on Entre's hard drive
* press ANALOG or DIGITAL (AUTO) for CD track on 5900

Audio Hookups (Entre, DV5900M, Denon AVR-5800)

**DV5900M Coax Out to Entre Coax In
**DV5900M Mix-Out to Entre REC-IN Analog L/R
**DV5900M 6 CH Out to Denon 6/7 CH In

**Entre Optical Out to Denon 5800 Optical In for DVD Input
**Entre Analog L/R to Denon 5800 Analog L/R for DVD Input

Entre - Setup/Audio & Video Settings/Audio Input Selections

** Analog Audio, Rec In = Receiver (I have tried settings this to changer)
** Digital Audio Out, Optical In = not used
** Digital Audio Out, Coaxial In = changer

Any throughts?

Thanks,

Heroildo
post #94 of 6894 Old 12-20-2001, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

RE: Subtitle
I'm glad this was brought up again as I didn't seem to recall a lot of people saying this was a 'real' problem. It certainly is and I have it almost all the time.

RE: layer change 3-4 seconds
The grinch that stole Christmas. When he is putting the antlers on the dog for the first time...it was a looonngg delay.

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #95 of 6894 Old 12-20-2001, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Carbo
It definitelty replaces your info if it has it's own. The one additional problem I have found is that is has mislabelled a cd. It recognizes Chris Cornell's Euphira Morning for some reason as an Alice in Chains cd. When I enter in the correct info it finds the cover art for Chris Cornell but if you ask it to find album info it sets it back the Alice in chains.

maybe Open globe can address this if they are reading.

Also I have not had the problem of the unit shutting down unless I start a movie not using the entre.

If you edit the album info, then DON'T ask it to get album info again. It will replace your edited info with the info from CDDB's database (since that's what you just asked it to do).

As for your CD being mis-recognized - keep in mind how CDDB works. It's not like there's a unique serial # or anything on your CDs. The ONLY thing that it can use for lookups is the exact sequence and length of the tracks. This forms a surprisingly unique fingerprint, but there's no guarantee that 2 CD's won't have exactly the same # and length of tracks. It's possible your CD and the Alice in Chains CD have the same fingerprint. More sophisticated software, like many PC jukebox programs, will alert you that there's a conflict, and let you pick which CD you really have. I don't believe any of the OpenGlobe-based products have a conflict-resolver like this - it just picks the first match from the CDDB database.

Also keep in mind that the album info comes from CDDB (aka Gracenote), and the cover art comes from a separate database. The CDDB data was all user-contributed over several years, so it's full of misspellings and mistakes. The album cover art database, on the other hand, I believe was professionally produced by Gracenote. While it has a smaller # of discs, it's probably more accurate. If the CDDB album title is spelled incorrectly, for example, then a lookup of the album cover art will fail. This is exactly why OpenGlobe added the separate "Lookup Cover Art" feature - so you can correct the Artist/Title info so it will find the right cover. This feature was missing in the original OpenGlobe software release we got with our Compaq Music Centers, but was added in a recent software update. Sounds like the Entre shipped with this updated software.

-- Jim (a Compaq Music Center owner)
post #96 of 6894 Old 12-20-2001, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't seen any subtitle problem yet, and I've watched 20+ DVDs on it so far, including Phantom Menace. There must be some defect that is only on some players, or else there's some particular combination of menu settings that causes it.
post #97 of 6894 Old 12-20-2001, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I think it is also a menu setting. I will have to look and mine and give the settings I have.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #98 of 6894 Old 12-20-2001, 05:43 PM

Here's an update to:

** Problem: While playing an MP3 or Audio CD that's in the DV-5900M, via the Entre's interface -- I get no audio unless I use the Denon's EXT IN (6/7 CH IN).

After speaking with Kenwood Technical Support -- it turns out that the unit is working as intended. According to Tech Support, "the Entre will not pass audio via it's Analog REC-In". You will not be able to generate a playlist with multiple sources (MP3 on Entre HD, Audio CD on DV-5900M, MP3 CD on DV-5900m) and expect to listen to the audio without changing the input (ANALOG, DIGITAL, 6/7 CH).

It appears that the only way to accomplish seamless playback would be to use a Sovereign Receiver (which does auto-input switching).

Heroildo
post #99 of 6894 Old 12-20-2001, 09:40 PM

I guess I spoke too soon -- I just experienced the first "stop". Chapter 26, The Princess Diaries (Disney). The movie stopped playing near the end of Ch 26 (1:45) and the player returned to the Kenwood Background.

The only thing different about my setup today versus every other time -- the Audio Video Settings/Rec In on the Entre is set to Changer; it was set to unused -- I'll go ahead and set it to unused again. I don't think this has anything to do with it -- but you never know.

H
post #100 of 6894 Old 12-21-2001, 10:02 AM

hmatos,

Try setting the Entre screen saver to "OFF", per Kenwood tech support. I have no idea yet if this helps. I haven't had time to watch a full disc since making this change. I did phone this problem into tech support and they have it logged as an issue. It's interesting that most instances of the STOP bug are happening at around the 1 hour, 45 min mark during playback. Two of the three times I've seen it, it's occurred around this point. However, the third instance was within the first 5 minutes of the disc.

Tom
post #101 of 6894 Old 12-21-2001, 10:20 PM

Entre & 5900 "Stop Issue"

I've set the screensaver off -- it had no effect. The player stopped on,

** The Firm, after 1:55
** The 6th Day, after 1:47

I also witnessed the subtitle issue. The first couple of times that I played "The Firm", I didn't remember seeing subtitles on -- I did notice that after the "stop", I had subtitles.

Does anyone know whether Kenwood/OpenGlobe have been able to reproduce the problem? In my case it's happened on 3 out of 3 movies that were at least 1h 45m long.
post #102 of 6894 Old 12-23-2001, 07:13 AM

Entre & DV-5900M "Stop Issue"

The movies which stopped (The Firm & The 6th Day) while the DV-5900M was connected to the Entre, played perfectly once I removed the RS-232 cable. Unfortunately, turning the Entre OFF is not enough -- you actually have to unplug it from the 5900.

** Anyone doing this might want to reboot the Entre after reconnecting the RS-232 -- the last time I did this without rebooting -- the Entre thought all the discs were removed from the player and it began deleting them all from it's library.
post #103 of 6894 Old 12-23-2001, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I've hooked up my Entre as the manual provides. From the "tape out" of my Krell HTS2, it goes to the "Rec in" of the Entre. Also, from the digital output of my Krell, it goes to the digital input of the Entre.

While I've been able to record directly from a cd placed into the Entre (on to the internal HD), I tried yesterday to no avail to record from external sources. The albums I played would not record, nor would cds played from my Sony cd player, but processed through the Krell (which, again, outputs to the Entre).

Has anyone had any difficulty in recording external sources. I followed the instructions on the recording to the internal hard drive, but nothing.

If anyone knows . . .

Nick
post #104 of 6894 Old 12-23-2001, 04:45 PM
uh2

Liked: 13
I had the stop problem occur first while watching Planet of the Apes (this is on a BRAND NEW DV-5050). It has just happened to me again while watching The Patriot. The screen will slowly self-destruct, and that chapter becomes unwatchable. The only way around it is to skip to the next chapter. Otherwise, the player will boot me to the main menu.

Has anyone received any word from Kenwood regarding this? I will place a call tomorrow..but I spent alot of my hard-earned money on this player (just like you all did...especially those with 5900's), and I expect it to play DVD's like my cheaper Toshiba AND my PS2. I verified there was nothing wrong with the DVD's..they play fine in all my other players.

Kenwood?!? Are you reading this?!? There is a definate problem with this line of players...and it's not related to just the Entre system. I don't own an Entre...I have a stand-alone 5050.

What are you going to do??

Udell
post #105 of 6894 Old 12-23-2001, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

"and it's not related to just the Entre system."

You are referring to a different issue to what is being talked about in regaurds to the "Stop" issue.

To me, I read your post as a defective player I am sorry to say.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #106 of 6894 Old 12-23-2001, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by uh2
I had the stop problem occur first while watching Planet of the Apes (this is on a BRAND NEW DV-5050). It has just happened to me again while watching The Patriot. The screen will slowly self-destruct, and that chapter becomes unwatchable. The only way around it is to skip to the next chapter. Otherwise, the player will boot me to the main menu.

. . . and it's not related to just the Entre system. I don't own an Entre...I have a stand-alone 5050.

What are you going to do??

Udell

This was reported by several people--including myself--in the thread I ironically started, Kenwood 5900 a winner--something like that.

The image will freeze, almost as if the disc is scratched, and then you're lucky if you can fast forward it to "jar" it back into action. It's happened on both the 5900 and the 5050.

It's irritating, but it's very infrequent. There are other issues that bother me a lot more, although they have to do with the Entre.

That said, I must admit that living with the Entre, albeit in its compromised condition, makes me not want to live without it. I'm still getting the hang of some things, but there really is nothing like it around. It's not as if you can dump it and buy the competition's product, because there is no current competition (and boy do I long for the day that changes).

My suggestion is that any problems be taken up with Kenwood directly, and I would do it in writing.

Nick
post #107 of 6894 Old 12-24-2001, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The Entre has a new software update!!!! Not sure what all is in it, but their sure the heck is a new update!!!! Ver 1.0.1.0

If it was not auto downloaded to your Entre as of yet, then you can make it happen....SETUP / Utilities / Update Software!

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #108 of 6894 Old 12-24-2001, 06:15 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. The user interface is now *very* responsive! You're no longer waiting and waiting and .... (you get the point). I've started, "The Firm" -- I'll know within 2 hours if it works.

Heroildo
post #109 of 6894 Old 12-24-2001, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I did not expect this update to fix the auto stop issue when playing a movie...and I was right. Just stoped for no reason.

OpenGlobe! Kenwood! Please, please look into this very bad bug and advise.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #110 of 6894 Old 12-24-2001, 09:06 AM

I didn't expect it to be fixed either -- just wishful thinking I guess. I don't even bother using the Entre to watch a movie; I just unplug it from the 5900. It eliminates most of the frustration!

Of course now all I hear is, "when are you returning that thing". And my favorite, "what exactly does that thing do for $1500?". I just kind of stand there -- like a deer in headlights.

I'm almost use to the pain of being the first one on the block with a new toy. I don't think I own any piece of home theatre equipment that has worked right from day one!

Happy Holidays!
post #111 of 6894 Old 12-24-2001, 11:46 AM

There's also a PC Media Manager software update; use "Help/Check For Update" -- 1.0.4.2038

Heroildo
post #112 of 6894 Old 12-24-2001, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Version: 1.0.1.0

RE: layer change
Only 1/2 sec or so on Dante's Peak as soon as Grandma passes away. New version or just the DVD me wonders.

RE: sudden stop
Never had this happen after 20 or so disk until watching 'the making of' part of Dante's Peak. Happened while interviewing the kids. My screen saver is on 5 minutes I believe. I have never manually edited a DVD and did a 'new' download after I got the 1.0.1.0 update. HTH

"latest tips" URL I mentioned previously still doesn't work. Would be nice if Kenwood 'officially' told the consumers what they were updating with new versions instead of this annoying guessing game. Should be an option on the Entre to review this.

Happy holidays as well...kids are biting at the bit to open gifts. Shh...Santa brought the older one a RIO 600 64M MP3 player to work with dad's Entre Hub.

Still mostly happy, Scott Fauque

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #113 of 6894 Old 12-24-2001, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by David Bott
The Entre has a new software update!!!! Not sure what all is in it, but their sure the heck is a new update!!!! Ver 1.0.1.0

If it was not auto downloaded to your Entre as of yet, then you can make it happen....SETUP / Utilities / Update Software!

I think I know one thing that the new software doesn't affect. As soon as I completed the download, the Entre froze and I had to reset it.

Glad I'm up to date, though.

Nick
post #114 of 6894 Old 12-24-2001, 05:17 PM

Here, Here!

So far today, I've rebooted 5 times -- I think it's made the lockup issue on the Entre worse. I've played two classical discs using the cdrom drive ... Each disc has caused a lockup.

H
post #115 of 6894 Old 12-25-2001, 02:47 PM

Kenwood Entre

** MP3 discs are incorrectly identified by Entre: I have two MP3 discs which I created and I've placed them in the DV-5900M slots 348 and 354. The discs are by two totally different artists and include a different set of albums. Unfortunately, the Entre has determined that they are the "same disc" because they have the same number of tracks.

The best part is that no matter what I do, I cannot correct the information!
post #116 of 6894 Old 12-26-2001, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

David,
Did you get my PM ?,
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #117 of 6894 Old 12-26-2001, 06:28 AM

Kenwood Entre

** DVD Disc and DVD Slot are not identified by Entre: It seems that no matter which slot I place, Jurrassic Park: The Lost World, the DV-5900M can play the disc, but the Entre will not recognize that the "SLOT" has any disc in it at all.

I place, "Jurrassic Park, The Lost World" in slot 255

* Entre performs the Quick Lookup

* Entre recognizes a disc was inserted in slot 255

* Entre attempts to identify the disc and continues to do so for at least 90 minutes before I press the Exit button.

At this point, the Entre does not show the disc anywhere in the Guide. It's as if the disc was never inserted.
post #118 of 6894 Old 12-26-2001, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Internet connection?

Look under Unidentified in the list...you will that that to be in slot order in that area. Thus if you put it in your LAST open slot, assuming in slot order, then it will be last one in the Unidentified section.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #119 of 6894 Old 12-26-2001, 08:08 AM

Nope .... I have no, "unknown" or "unidentified" discs -- I typed a "U" to get to that part of the guide. The Entre does not recognize the disc and then refuses to recognize the slot.

The disc is in the 5900, I can play it manually (after disconnecting the Entre) -- but the Entre doesn't recognize the fact that there's a disc in the slot; after it tried unsuccessfully to perform a quick lookup of that slot.

I even tried doing a range lookup -- same thing -- it just hangs on the "getting DVD information ...".
post #120 of 6894 Old 12-26-2001, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Excluding the Entre Hub is this changer worht buying?
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page