Kenwood Sovereign System (Changer, Entre, and Receiver) Issues and Answers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6894 Old 11-26-2001, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Ok, quite a few of us have very high hopes for the Sovereign system with all that it can offer. Lets help out Kenwood and list the issues and work around we have found with the Sovereign line.

My hope is that we will be able to help them come up with solutions on the issues because the system is software based. If they know the issues, they can look into them and hopefully come up with answers and resolves.

I do not want this thread to be slam on the issues...but a way for them to be looked at. So, lets make posts in a fashion they can be followed. If you issue is with the Entre...Start you post with ENTRE on a line by itself and then list your finding...be it issues or resolves. Please try not to duplicate already known issues mentioned in this thread.

I still have high hopes for the system and wish to see it made to be the system it should be. I will start by making the first post...Please do not post until after I have done so.

BTW...I was contacted by Kenwood...they know this is happening and are already looking into issues mentioned. Thus this is a way to help.

THANKS!!!!

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6894 Old 11-26-2001, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

ENTRE

Entre Remote Control - After you have selected a movie to play and the DVD Menu comes ups, you can not use the arrow keys to move around the menu.

Movie Description - Their is no way to view the movie description even though it is in the system can can be read in the EDIT mode. Suggest using the INFO button to toggle the information viewed when in the guild listing.

DVD Lookup - In my case 27% of the movies are not found. After looking into this, I have found that they were stored in OpenGlobe with 4x3 movies and not widescreen. Between the two, they have different code numbers. Work Around - Go to the unknown DVD in the movie guide list, press OPTION, Select Edit Disc. Use the SEARCH FOR Disc option and type in some of the movie name and do the search. It will then look up the title in OpenGlobe and then bring you back to the edit screen where you press REC to save it. Good news is, this disc info is then sent back to OpenGlobe so then next time it is looked up under that disc ID, it should find it.

Internet Radio - Greatly lacking stations. Poor selection. but does work well. Please see that more stations can be added.

Entre to DV-5900M - No title information is passed to the DV-5900M from the Entre when Entre was successful with the DVD lookup in OpenGlobe. So, unless you the disc had Title Text on it, you still need to key in the Title for the changer. This title info should be passed via RS-232 into the player from Entre.

DV-5900M

Layer Change - 3 second layer change is way to long.

Slight Edge Enhancement - Slight edge enhancement on DVD playback. Please note...I see this mainly due to the fact that I run a vary large screen with a CRT projector. I do believe it can be corrected via a menu.

Load Times - The speed of the disk change is somewhat slow. But the READ time of the discs seem to be very slow. I do think this has to do with the fact that the changer also handles MP3's and thus checks the disc for MP3 files. This is just my guess because it is the first player I have owned that will play MP3 files. This is not an issue for me, for I use the changer for DVD's and not CD playback.

VR-5900

PowerTouch III Remote - No Entre codes in it. Software must be updated by the dealer (when they get it) or the remote sent to Kenwood for updating. More or less, just a heads up post. All units now shipping from Kenwood have the updates. Older stock does not. NOTE...DELAERS now should have the tools needed to re-program the PowerTouchIII for the Entre. Contact them if you have this issue.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #3 of 6894 Old 11-26-2001, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DV-5900M

Manual - I don't think I need to elaborate further. This has got to be the most confusing manual to follow.

MP3 Playback - If you insert a CD/R with MP3 files, the player really "should" do whatever is necessary to output sound via it's digital coax/optical outputs (my $300 Audiotron can play MP3 audio using digital coax; I expect my $1500 changer to do the same).

ID3 Tags - The ID3 tag information should be displayed on the player; at a minimum Artist and Track Title.

DVD Library - I realize Kenwood is encouraging us to purchase the Entre Hub (I have already placed my order), but why is library management for DVD titles so limited? There's no reason to exclude basic movie genre information from the interface (Sci-Fi, Drama, Comedy, etc). Why limit the DVD title information to 20 characters? The LCD does scroll -- so I'm not sure why this limitation exists.

NetNamer DV Sofware - It took me several application restarts, PC restarts, and DVD changer restarts to finally get it to recognize the fact that I had DVD titles in the changer. It "should" not be this complicated to use. After fussing with it for about an hour, I realize that it will not retrieve DVD information (according the online help documents); I thought that was the purpose of the software. Why would I spend this much money on a CD player? You might want to look at re-designing the interface to be more like Windows Explorer (it's something that most people using a Windows PC will understand).
post #4 of 6894 Old 11-26-2001, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
DV-5900M

Random Play
- There is no way to do random play of discs within a certain music type or user file with the OSD - you have to look at the player display. This should be added to a "library" screen.

Startup
- The last selected disc plays when you turn the unit on which is not very useful.

VR-5090 with DV-5900M

Remote
- There is no way to do a character search for discs by title or artist using the LCD on the remote.
- There is no way to page through the discs. If you want to see disc 200, you have to scroll through 200 discs one line at a time.
- Some indication of currently playing disc on the LCD would be nice.
post #5 of 6894 Old 11-26-2001, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

DV-5900M

- Progressive Display BUG: Unfortunately, I cannot use the progressive output because of a bug in the display stage of the unit: Outside of the 16:9 window, the unit displays strange white line artifacts above the video image. See, I have one of those 4:3 HD-ready sets that "squeezes" to provide a true 16:9 window within the 4:3 screen. So, when in 16:9 mode, there are "unscanned" areas above and below the display area. It seems that the 5900 carelessly displays garbage in the area above the 16:9 area. A real shame. I've taken pictures of this phenomenon: http://home.midi.com/5900m/

- Cannot use the LIBRARY while a disc is playing. Why? Don't you want to select your next CD while the current one is playing?

- On movies such as Being John Malkovich, subtitles are "on" some times, and others not. I've never set subtitles on, but they appear every once in a while

- No ability to update CD TEXT using OSD. You can, however, via NetNamerDV. Should be available in both.

- Pre-defined Genre banks should be rename-able. For instance, to include Christian Contemporary and Spoken Word but not Hip Hop, Metal, or Comedy?

- NetNamerDV software crashes on Toy Story I and Toy Story II DVDs.

- No DVD-Audio title info downloads via NetNamerDV

- Can't turn off analog outputs for movies or CDs. If I could easily set the 5900M to output only digitally for non-DVD-Audio sources, my B&K Ref 30 would have a chance of auto-selecting the digital stream and reset itself from 6-channel mode to stereo or surround mode.

Jon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6894 Old 11-26-2001, 05:53 PM

David, thanks for starting this thread! Hopefully, these comments will get into Kenwood's hands and result in software updates to the Sovereign changers and Entre hub. I've had the 5900M for about 3 weeks now and echo the comments above. I have not seen any issues beyond those already reported on my 5900M. I have an Entre hub on order, so no first hand experience with that product yet. However, what about all the lockups people have been reporting with the Entre hub? Seems like that should be reported here as an issue.

Tom
post #7 of 6894 Old 11-26-2001, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have not had a lock up yet.(could be related to the USB-Ethernet). I am using dial up for now.

Maybe Kenwood could post a number where to buy this one of kind hub. If they are truly reading this?

So far it has found all my titles 100%.(Cd's only)

What are the name of a few CD's Dave?
post #8 of 6894 Old 11-26-2001, 06:12 PM

As I previously mentioned, I work for CATC, which makes the NetMate adapter that the Entre uses for USB-to-Ethernet connectivity. I talked to our NetMate salesperson today, and have some updates:

1) Apparently, Belkin switched to a different implementation for their USB-to-Ethernet adapter some time ago, so only the early Belkin adapters will work with the Entre. Unfortunately, I don't know how to differentiate old and new Belkin adapters, but I know at one time they were selling adapters that had the CATC logo on the top of the adapter - at least that version should work.

2) We're just not set up for consumer-direct sales on the NetMate adapters - sorry guys, but you'll have to order them from Kenwood online once they make them available.

Wish the news could be better, but I thought it was important to get this info out ASAP, especially regarding the Belkin issue.
post #9 of 6894 Old 11-26-2001, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Things that kinda bug me:

The player does a "detection" pass every time it wakes up from standby. I don't understand this one and it bugs me that I have to wait for it to stop before I can select a disc. It should only do detection after the door has opened/closed. I now think it does it to try and hide the awfully slow "reading disc" times. At least here it is multitasking (I think). Maybe they can figure out how to do more multitasking and play a disc and display the library as well

It loads the last disc and starts playing when it wakes up. I don't usually want to watch the same movie twice in a row so it bugs me that I have to wait for this.

The Kenwood Sovereign splash screen (like when the unit is in full stop mode) should have a screen saver kick in after some period of time.

There should be a special OSD mode for CD's and DVD-A's that displays the title and time info. This display should move around the screen periodically to prevent burn-in on RPTV's.

You should be able to rename genre's.

Things that annoy me:

The hardware buttons for the rental zone slots don't work as intuitively as I would like. The eject button won't wake up the player and the light only indicates that the disc in that slot is loaded or playing. It would be much better if you could walk up to the box and eject a rental with one push and if you could tell at a glance (with the light) if you had any discs in a rental slot.

This one really gets on my nerves because why put that damn light on the front of the player just to show that the movie is playing? I mean really, if the movie is playing, do you need the red light to tell you so? Wouldn't that red light be really useful for reminding you that you have a rental disc or a borrowed disc that you need to return? Shouldn't it be on all the time so you notice it when you're walking by? Shouldn't you be able to see that red light, realize that you need to return that disc, and push the eject button to wake the unit up and open the door so you can pull the DVD out? Wasted opportunity.

You can't see the Disc titles on the video output. This kinda kills the usefullness of video-audio distribution from this player because you can't see anything on the screen except for slot number. You could use the library, but I've been avoiding that because it only works in stop mode. I'd like to see the OSD show the Title, Artist, and Chapter/Track names.

The stop button doesn't work when the disc is showing the FBI warnings. However, I can move ahead by pushing the "chapter skip" button. I am a DVD newbie - do I just not understand something here? I realize there are portions of the disc where navigation is restricted so you can't just avoid the warnings, but why enable the "skip ahead" to cruise through the warnings but not allow "stop" to work? This combined with the fact that you can only access the library when the player is in stop mode and the "auto-play on wake" feature means you have to wait an inordinate amount of time to get to the library screen.

The library only works in stop mode. This wouldn't annoy me so much except there is a way to use the library through disc select while it is playing. Why can't they enable it through the OSD as well. And since the OSD is doing absolutely nothing useful during CD playback anyways (no track or title info at all!) why can't I use it to select the next disc, or program a playlist?

post #10 of 6894 Old 11-27-2001, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Alright this might not be the easist solution to the problem but it works.

First disconnect the Entree and then...

To get the CD titles and song list to show up on the DVD changer itself. I used the NetnamerDV software and downloaded all the info and then stored it onto the changer. Then I reconnected the entree and it stayed.

Now when the you use the Entree to the information shows up on the changer, entree and the tv.

It took a while and should be easier than this but hey it works. Until Kenwood/Openglobe get their **** together.

Also my first glitch happened. The changer dropped a cd inside while switching and it would not open and jammed up. I had to physically open the case and correct the problem. I hope this does not happen again. If this becomes a problem I am going to return this pronto.
post #11 of 6894 Old 11-27-2001, 04:51 AM

I may be in the minority here, but I would like to see the discs sorted and displayed on the screen in alphabetical order, like the way I stored them on the shelf. Sorting by genre can be useful, but some movies could be stored in multiple categories and one would have to remember where it is.
post #12 of 6894 Old 11-27-2001, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hi All...Great Job...Please remember though, this is not a wish list, but a please fix list. Somethings maybe able to be corrected, but surely, I can not see things being added to the players that were not intended.

What I mean is, we can go on and on with wishlists for any manufacture or changer. I am just looking to get the items I have working as they are suppose to.

My guess would be the next version of the items for the some of the items being listed.

All in all...so far so good. And thanks!

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #13 of 6894 Old 11-27-2001, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

1. There is a disc freeze up that has happened more than once. First the disc stops play, then digital artifacts, then you can't play it. It has happened on two new discs. Others have reported it.

2. The autoplay feature is universally hated. No one wants to have to "wait" to get through the autoplay ritual to start selecting their discs. This needs to get rectified.

3. Kenwood needs to immediately address the issue of multiple changers at work with the Entre. I, for one, scrapped two DVD changers (sold them at a loss), and bought two Kenwood changers, and the Entre Hub--only to find out that the Entre would only work with one changer. I've already pointed out in a separate thread the seriousness of this issue, particularly given the outrightly INCORRECT advertising Kenwood did on this issue--I bought these products on a wrong set of assumptions, which were fostered by Kenwood's advertising. I'm not going to again call it deceptive advertising, but there are plenty who would call me kind in that respect. The reason is simple: I really want Kenwood to get its act together, so that I can have the system I thought I was buying. I will wait for more certain word from Kenwood on this point, but I will only wait days.

Even with all the issues, this ensemble has loads of potential. However, if these issues don't get resolved RIGHT AWAY, there is a risk of word getting out quickly that the ensemble has BOMBED.

At the very least, Kenwood needs to publicly address the issues.

Nick
post #14 of 6894 Old 11-27-2001, 11:19 AM

Most of my problems have been posted already, but I thought I'd repeat them for emphasis.

1) The autoplay on startup "feature" is extremely annoying and should be eliminated.

2) The manual is astonishingly poor.

3) I have also experienced the subtitle bug. Subtitles should never come on unless explicitly selected.

4) The chapter skip button on the remote is too sensitive in reverse. In other words, if I'm partway into a chapter and I want to go back to the beginning of the previous chapter, I have to press the reverse chapter skip button twice very quickly. The first press takes me to the beginning of the chapter I'm presently in but the second press needs to occur too soon after the first press otherwise it just takes me back to the beginning of the same chapter again. I should be able to be several (3? 5?) seconds into a chapter and be able to have the reverse chapter skip button take me to the beginning of the previous chapter, not the beginning of the current chapter. The delay between presses allows me to have visual feedback that the first keypress has been received and processed.
post #15 of 6894 Old 11-27-2001, 08:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

How many people can be listening to content in the Entre System with the Axcess remote units at the same time? Thanks, Mark

Mark Conner
post #16 of 6894 Old 11-27-2001, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

From Entre Spec page...

MULTI-ROOM FEATURES
- Provides Up to 4 Simultaneous Independent Audio Streams: Internet Radio and/or Compressed Audio Files Stored on Internal Hard Disk
- Requires Axcess Remote Portal: up to 4

Regarding the 3-sec layer change in Davids next post....Tomb Raider was a solid 3 seconds...I rented it so don't have the details (I suppose some of you wouldn't mind watching it to look for the 3 second delay ). We watched Proof of Life last night and I only saw a 2 second delay ...again a rental.

Scott Fauque (
) - - -
(as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #17 of 6894 Old 11-27-2001, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Kenwood says that they do not see any 3 second delay in a layer change. So...Lets please give them some examples. Disc, Chapter, Time please (I have not had the chance).

They also said that they only know of me and Nick calling on this issue but they will take another look. (Pondering.)

I have faith in them, I have speken to same real nice people and they are looking to help where they can. So...Lets help them find this issue please.

Thanks

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #18 of 6894 Old 11-29-2001, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

"How The Grinch Stole Christmas" Chapter 13. Right after the Geinch say "Action". (Dressing the dog up as a raindeer.)

PLEASE...Some one confirm this please.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #19 of 6894 Old 11-29-2001, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

PowerTouch II Remote Codes

The Entre remote codes can now be installed into the PowerTough III remote from your dealer. They should have received programming units or their reps have them. (Of course, your PowerTouchIII might already have them...based on the build date.)

Thank you Kenwood for getting this out so fast.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #20 of 6894 Old 11-29-2001, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Entre - DVD Counters Off

Movie mode...Press Options Button. Select "Get Move Info"

Total Movie Discs is incorrect. It shows the combinded total for Known Discs and Unknown Discs.

Free Movie Slots showing a/n when it does know in the Changer Managment area.

Known Discs is incorrect - It should be TOTAL Movie Discs minus Unknown Discs.

Cover Art Count is not correct. If the movie was not found, their is no cover art for it.

In may case the readings are currently like this...(Note..I only have DVD's in the changer and have loaded 228 of them.)

Total Movie Discs: 288
Free Movie Slots: N/A
Know Discs: 228
Unknown Discs: 60
Cover Art Count: 228

Should be...

Total Movie Discs: 228
Free Movie Slots: 175 (403 slots - 228 loaded slots)
Know Discs: 168
Unknown Discs: 60
Cover Art Count: 168

Please note that I would guess thet the counters like cover art could change based on if it has a cover in memory for a DVD that was removed. In this case...none have been.)

Hope this helps.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #21 of 6894 Old 11-29-2001, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Kenwood is looking to tell OpenGlobe what DVD's are not being found. So, please add to the list the DVD's that you have put into the DVD changer that Entre could not find in the database from OpenGlobe...My list so far....

12 Monkies
Blue Man Group - AUDIO (DVD Audio)
Cast Away
Thirteen Days
America's Sweetharts
Shrek
Independence Day
Arlington Road
Addicted To Love
Shawshank Redemption
Grosse Pointe Blank
Dark City
Billy Madison
Bone Collector
Cable Guy
Demolition Man
Devil's Advocate
EdTV
Ever After
Fallen
The Fan
Father of the Bride
Fources of Nature
Ghostbusters

That is my current list I have looked up in the slots out of 62 it did not find. I will need to pull the discs from the others slots for the names.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #22 of 6894 Old 11-29-2001, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Well I received the usb-Ethernet adapter today. It was easy to set up just plug it in and change the settings in the Entre.

It works nice. Especially on internet radio. And it also makes the Media manager useful.

So far what I have recognized with the Entre. If you have the Entre and have it set to something other then cd's it stops the changer from automatically playing the last cd loaded upon start up.(I have a feeling that when they did testing they had all these puppies set up together, therefore the flaws where not noticed).

The media manager makes it easy to move MP3's from your hard drive to the Entree and makes for easier editing of titles, tracks, and other info.

One flaw is that upon taking two MP3's and sending them to the Entre. They were labelled unk. When I went to manually enter the names of the MP3's they where both changed to the same thing and I could not individually change them to some thing different.(It might be since I haven't played with it long enough)

Anyway I am totally happy with this set up so far. As early adopters we are going to have to hang in with the glitches(none which affect me, but I can see why others would mind) but if fixed this is one of the best setups out there.

I confirm what David said earlier about the layer change.( I am not sure that it was three seconds for me, I had less but it there).
On other movies also, but for some reason the layer change has never bothered me.
post #23 of 6894 Old 12-01-2001, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

He are more DVD's that could not be found in OpenGlobe upon loading into the DV-5900M...(I can look them up manually as with the others above using search.)

Godzilla
Good Will Hunting
Holly Man
The Jackal
Jingle All The Way
Judge Dredd
Last Man Standing
Meet Joe Black
The Mirror Has Two Faces
Replacement Killers
The Music Man
Out of Sight
Patch Adams
The Patriot
The Perfect Storm
The Rainmaker
Ransom
The Santa Clause
The Siege
The Sixth Sense
Spawn
Sphere
Striptease
Stuart Little
True Crime
True Lies
The Truman Show
Vegas Vacation
Volcano
The Whole Nine Yards
Madonna, The Girlie Show
X-Men
Eric Clapton & Friends in Concert
Depeche Mode, The Videos 86>98
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill, Live

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #24 of 6894 Old 12-01-2001, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

From the Kenwood website...

"You can still purchase the USB/Ethernet Adapters (to connect your Kenwood Sovereign Entré Entertainment Hub to the Internet via cable modem or DSL) by calling 1-800-450-6999 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM Pacific Time, Monday through Friday."

NetMate USB to Ethernet Adapter, $59.95 (plus shipping & handling)

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #25 of 6894 Old 12-01-2001, 12:56 PM

1. IR remote response is TERRIBLE. I have to use an IR repeater system (Xantech) due to obscured equipment. I don't know if that worsens the problem (it shouldn't). However, the Guide is almost unuseable due to the sluggish reponse of the remote. You have to use incredibly deliberate keypresses to scroll the Guide list (press a cursor key, wait for 10-15 seconds, press key again). This will surely frustrate my family to no end. This must be fixed!

2. I need the specs on the IR repeater input on the rear panel of the Entre. Can this interface directly with an emitter output port from a Xantech connecting block, or do I need an interface module? There's no detail provided on this in the manual at all. I'll call Tech Support and see if I can get an answer.

3. A Sovereign changer cannot be operated independently when connected to Entre. When I attempt to initiate play of a disc directly from my 5900M, the disc will play for a few seconds and then stop. I must initiate play of discs through Entre. Should be able to play discs directly from the changer, if I wish.

4. Out of the 20 DVDs I had initially loaded, Entre only found information/cover art for 1 title! Here's the ones it had no info for:

Queensryche - Live Evolution
Blue Man Group - Audio (DVD-A)
Queen - We Will Rock You DTS
Nightmare Before Christmas SE
Shrek (Discs 1 and 2)
Foreigner (DVD-A)
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors (DVD-A)
Grateful Dead - American Beauty (DVD-A)
Deep Purple - Machine Head (DVD-A)
Metallica (DVD-A)
Bruce Springsteen - Live in New York (Discs 1 and 2)
U2 - Elevation 2001 (Discs 1 and 2)
Planet of the Apes SE 2001 (Disc 2, it did find Disc 1)
Sade - Live
Earl Klugh - Jazz Channel Presents
Deep Purple - New, Live, and Rare

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll come up with more. I'm very lukewarm on the Entre so far, considering it's steep cost! I have no 5900M issues to post beyond those previously mentioned.

Tom
post #26 of 6894 Old 12-01-2001, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hi Tom...

On #1...I do not have this issue at all with my Entre. I find the menus to move along at an expected rate.

On #2...Give it a try...would not think it would hurt.

On #3...Agree! The Entre even has a passthough button you can press...A lot of good that does if you choose not to use the Entre for whatever reason seeing it stops the changer.

On the lookup of DVD's...Here is a workarrond you can try on the not found DVD's. Note...Audio DVD's I do not think are in the database.

Work Around - Go to the unknown DVD in the movie guide list, press OPTION, Select Edit Disc. Use the SEARCH FOR Disc option and type in some of the movie name and do the search. It will then look up the title in OpenGlobe and then bring you back to the edit screen where you press REC to save it.

Thanks for the list...Kenwood is sending them to OpenGlobe to get on-line.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #27 of 6894 Old 12-01-2001, 04:01 PM

Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback!

If you're seeing acceptable IR remote response, I may have an issue with my repeater system. Perhaps I have the emitter positioned less than optimally. The Xantech stuff is pretty bulletproof, however, and I've yet to see a component not work with it beautifully once the emitter is positioned properly. Perhaps if I use the IR repeater input on the rear panel I'll get better performance. Hopefully, that doesn't just work with Kenwood receivers. Xantech has no info on their website for interfacing Kenwood components with direct IR inputs. I'm mainly seeing the poor performance in the Guides, which is going to get frustrating really quick!

Thanks for the workaround on title lookup. I tried that a little bit with the titles it missed initially. I input the whole disc title, however. Maybe it works better if you just put in a snippet. If it returns multiple possibilities based on your search string, does it let you select the right one? I just put in 30 more discs. We'll see how it does on these :-) I'll keep posting one's it misses. I have over 300 discs, so it's going to take me some time to load it up.

One last point, the Entre is REALLY slow on title lookup with a 56K dialup connection. I wasn't expecting much here, but it took over an hour to lookup my first 20 discs. If I had the thing loaded with 400 discs, it would probably take days! Unfortunately, I cannot get any broadband access in my area so I'm stuck with dialup :-(

Tom
post #28 of 6894 Old 12-01-2001, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hi Tom...

"If it returns multiple possibilities based on your search string, does it let you select the right one? "

No it does not. I so far have 3 discs it gives me the wrong disc info for. Bummer that you do not get a listing to choose from on matches.

I also use Xantech and Niles. Have no issue even upstairs in my office controlling it.

When were you looking up titles? I found the OpenGlobe service to be down most of the day thus not finding anything. Took over 20 seconds to come back wth that result of no DVD's. And that was over broadband. When it is up...like now, I get a result in 11 seconds. I found it to be down from my first attempt at 10am ET to like 5:00PM et.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

post #29 of 6894 Old 12-01-2001, 09:06 PM

Here are my latest findings:

1) I am getting a hit rate of about 80% on DVD auto-searches. Using the workaround David mentioned, I managed to get 150 of the 155 DVDs I entered recognized. The five that weren't recognized AND that I couldn't find manually are:

The Godfather (original movie)
Highlander: Endgame
Cheap Trick: Silver
Lolita (Stanley Kubrick Collection)
Cleopatra - Disc 1

The weird thing is that all the other Godfather discs were in the DB, including the bonus features disc, and Disc 2 of Cleopatra was in the DB but not Disc 1. It's also strange that there are DVDs in the database that I know have only been released once (no special edition/collector's edition/etc), but they aren't hashing to the right index.

2) The Entre does seem to hang quite a bit for me during manual DVD editing (about once every 6 or 7 DVDs), but it hasn't hung outside of DVD editing.

3) I hooked up a NetMate Plus I had laying around (one of the perks of being the developer ) and it worked fine with the Entre Media Manager software.
post #30 of 6894 Old 12-01-2001, 09:10 PM

Two questions:

1) I don't have a Kenwood receiver; is it possible to configure the Entre to power on my 5900M changer when it is powered on, or do I have to power both on separately?

2) Is there any way to edit in which genre a DVD is placed? It's not one of the manual edit fields. Some of the DB assignments are pretty silly, like "Billy Joel: Live at Yankee Stadium" is in the Educational genre instead of Musical.
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page