Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 106 Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Ok a digital output optical or coaxial No need to fight fellow members about this.

Either you're a sore loser or sanctimonious. Furthermore it doesn't take an electronic genius to know that either output on a laserdisc player will output the DTS signal. Please...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 106 Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrico View Post

Either you're a sore loser or sanctimonious. Furthermore it doesn't take an electronic genius to know that either output on a laserdisc player will output the DTS signal. Please...

I started the thread I didn't start the discussion about digital outputs.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #63 of 106 Old 02-27-2008, 05:14 AM

Quote:

I started the thread I didn't start the discussion about digital outputs.

What does that have to do with digital outputs? You opened the door to scrutiny with your inaccurate answer. This is a forum where opinions are subject to criticism and as intelligent adults we ALL accept that. Discussions are also part of ANY forum, Sir.

You have been around laserdiscs and laserdisc players. Anybody that have been around laserdisc players and DTS LD's knows that it takes a digital audio output either optical or coaxial to output the DTS signal. Quite frankly you were NOT specific enough. End of the story deal with it and move on gracefully to the next topic.
Thank you
post #64 of 106 Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have Mortal Kombat DTS laserdisc? I think thats the only DTS laserdiscs that sounds bad compared to the DD version.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #65 of 106 Old 02-27-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

What does that have to do with digital outputs? You opened the door to scrutiny with your inaccurate answer. This is a forum where opinions are subject to criticism and as intelligent adults we ALL accept that. Discussions are also part of ANY forum, Sir.

You have been around laserdiscs and laserdisc players. Anybody that have been around laserdisc players and DTS LD's knows that it takes a digital audio output either optical or coaxial to output the DTS signal. Quite frankly you were NOT specific enough. End of the story deal with it and move on gracefully to the next topic.
Thank you

Here's my criticism of your post: check your grammar, then follow your own advice and gracefully move on.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #66 of 106 Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Here's my criticism of your post: check your grammar, then follow your own advice and gracefully move on.

I am very grammar and spelling conscious. I do a very thorough check everytime before posting. If you care to be specific send me a PM and we'll discuss it in detail.
Thank you
post #67 of 106 Old 02-27-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have Mortal Kombat DTS laserdisc? I think thats the only DTS laserdiscs that sounds bad compared to the DD version.

I checked the Widescreen Review site. Their report clearly contradicts your opinion. WR compared the LD DTS soundtrack to the DVD DD. In their opinion the LD DTS soundtrack is: "more refined and less distorted sounding and is the preferred soundtrack".
post #68 of 106 Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I checked the Widescreen Review site. Their report clearly contradicts your opinion. WR compared the LD DTS soundtrack to the DVD DD. In their opinion the LD DTS soundtrack is: "more refined and less distorted sounding and is the preferred soundtrack".

I did a comparison with the DD laserdisc. I own both. I believe what I hear over what I've read. Can someone post that owns this laserdisc too.

post #69 of 106 Old 02-28-2008, 03:04 PM

Mortal Kombat DTS LD sounds the best to me
post #70 of 106 Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Widescreen Review was so heavily biased towards DTS back then when the review was written I don't think I'd totally trust them or their perceptions. Their articles about DTS and AC-3 were filled with incorrect information and all the free stuff they got from DTS guaranteed that the system would always 'win' in any comparison.

Ty C. :-)
----------
"Riff Randal, Rock-n-Roller!"
post #71 of 106 Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclord View Post

Widescreen Review was so heavily biased towards DTS back then when the review was written I don't think I'd totally trust them or their perceptions. Their articles about DTS and AC-3 were filled with incorrect information and all the free stuff they got from DTS guaranteed that the system would always 'win' in any comparison.

I am going to go off topic a little but staying within DTS VS AC-3(DD). If you read the Batman Forever Ed. from the 1989-1997 Anthology DVD which has both DTS and DD they were in favor of the LD AC-3 soundtrack : "sounds slightly warmer".
post #72 of 106 Old 02-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am going to go off topic a little but staying within DTS VS AC-3(DD). If you read the Batman Forever Ed. from the 1989-1997 Anthology DVD which has both DTS and DD they were in favor of the LD AC-3 soundtrack : "sounds slightly warmer".

They didn't review it in their "pro-DTS" days though.

WSR changed their tune towards AC-3 in later years because it was really hurting their reputation and making them look kinda silly - now they routinely praise Dolby E-AC3 over DTS. Reber finally got rid of Richard Hayes too because of his ever-more-outrageous stories about movie technology - the whole "70mm is 2.05:1" fiasco really damaged the magazines industry credibility. And Gary's sickening "Look at my DTS car!" article made him a laughingstock in the HT arena. And the totally incompetent article about DVD's having less than 16-bit resolution due to "jitter." That was a true debacle and Reber refused to run all the letters from degreed E.E.'s in the industry he received from it - letters that explained just how wrong the article was. It's all so sad too because WSR was really a great magazine in the early days.

----------
post #73 of 106 Old 03-10-2008, 02:38 PM
c1c

Are laserdisc DTS better quality than DVD releases? Are they higher res? Or does it not matter?
post #74 of 106 Old 03-10-2008, 04:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1c View Post

Are laserdisc DTS better quality than DVD releases? Are they higher res? Or does it not matter?

The Audio is what is being discussed here. The Audio is normally superior to DVD's. The picture is normally very good laserdisc quality.
post #75 of 106 Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
DTS car? Link please I need to see it.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #76 of 106 Old 03-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"Widescreen Review was so heavily biased towards DTS back then ... Their articles about DTS and AC-3 were filled with incorrect information"
Please provide examples. I have been a subscriber since the earliest years. I do recall pages of interviews and articles with Dolby, as with DTS. During the development there was a lot of incorrect information thrown about with regard to both formats - some of it mistaken and some of it intentionally disengenuous. Some of it came directly from the two companies.
The magazine did and does make mistakes, like ALL publications. But it also presented more research and correct facts than any others in its day, including the original The Perfect Vision (with the exception of Joe Kane's papers in TPV - truly revolutionary at the time). I do not recall any errors driven by a bias towards DTS.

"They didn't review (Batman Forever) in their 'pro-DTS' days though."
The Laserdisc was reviewed when released, during "those" days. There was no comparable DTS release at the time, nor two years later with the DVD release. The comparative comments are from the re-release of the movie on DVD.

"WSR changed their tune towards AC-3 in later years because it was really hurting their reputation and making them look kinda silly."
Please provide examples of how WSR "changed" its view of AC-3 due to self-interest. I do not recall the magazine finding the same AC-3 quality as more acceptable simply due to the passage of time. WSR has correctly noted positive results as the codec and its implementation have improved over time.

"Now they routinely praise Dolby E-AC3 over DTS."
Provide examples of "routinely" especially in the same context of the two formats at the time. Reviews of the past few years involve different technological developments.

"incompetent article about DVD's having less than 16-bit resolution due to 'jitter.'"
Please provide examples of incompetence in articles dealing with this topic. Virtually all mainstream consumer products do have effective resolution of less than 16 bits, with some around 12 bits, due to jitter and other problems. This has been a concern since the late 1980's - AES, Wadia, Teac/Esoteric, Dolby, Meridian, Mark Levison, etc.

"It's all so sad too because WSR was really a great magazine in the early days."
The early days were the time it was most ardent in encouraging better audio and video quality - including DTS over DD.

Since its inception WSR has been the target of much criticism from those who do not agree with its goals. Much of the criticism has been personal and unfounded in actual fact. Some has been due. That does not necessarily make the magazine "biased" or "incorrect" or a "debacle."

Regards,

- Hunter
post #77 of 106 Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 AM

Hunter

I think I still have a UK home cinema magazine that covers a (Batman Forever laserdisc review). I will have to go though a lot of boxes and magazines to find the article.

Widescreen Review is good home cinema magazine I have a few issues from late 1990's to early 2000's.
post #78 of 106 Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

That would be interesting and greatly appreciated. I have an impression - based upon unverified, anecdotal remarks - that PAL laserdiscs often did not equal the quality of their NTSC counterparts.

Thanks.

Regards,

- Hunter
post #79 of 106 Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 AM

Hanter

Well you’re behind the UK in time zone difference, so I’ll start turning out the cardboard shortly and go though as fast as possible. I’ll take a picture of the article and re-type the text because I don’t have a, scanner.

Some PAL laserdiscs weren’t as good as some of the NTSC laserdiscs, its down to mastering, that’s my belief on the issue.

I should have kept the Die Hard THX laserdisc Dolby AC-3 because I think that mix was true to the theatrical version where the later DVD and even HD-DVD or is it Bluray?

“Who Cares?”
Hans Gruber Die Hard (1988)

Yeah so if you have Die Hard on THX laserdisc listen really hard to the mix because the DVD versions are different. When Hans pulls the trigger when pointing it at McClane the sound should be (panned to right) as heard in the cinema.

On the DVD versions it’s re-positioned to the centre channel along with most of the weaponry machinegun fire that precedes the scene, I think it was panned one side of the screen.

Do Not Sale Die Hard on eBay at any cost well start the bid at $200.00 because that mix on THX laserdisc is priceless!
post #80 of 106 Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 AM

Just so you know I'm crazy for taking pictures and this is what I have got to look though! Yeah this is going to be fast! But it's still going to take me a few hours as I might stumble onto a few other rare lost and found.

My dad was telling me I should have gotten rid of the magazines. Yeah right and if I didn't have them still, then I wouldn't be taken my time, right now, to search though all, this bundle! So I have Madonna playing in the JBL room so I'm going into the hallway now and look for that

Batman Forever UK laserdisc review!
post #81 of 106 Old 03-11-2008, 09:49 AM

Well I've just gone though one box and I still haven't found it yet! If needle in haystack means anything, because I've also found a interesting articles, pity I don't have a scanner. Anyways I have one small bundle in the room next to the computer, now I'm going to go though another bundle. The magazines have a strange smell after being in boxes for all these past years.
post #82 of 106 Old 03-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Oh ... you have 120% of my sympathies.

That looks kinda familiar, except my mess is filled with equipment. The magazines are all neatly stacked (note that I did not use the "organized").

With my extra LD players, surround sound processors, high-end speakers, remotes, and cables and your library, it looks like we could come up with a pretty good stock. Time to go find venture capital.

P.S. My magazines smell like ... incense. Ha.

Regards,

- Hunter
post #83 of 106 Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

E-AC3 (DD+) and DTS are basically the same, save for metadata other dialog normalisation stuff.
DD at 650kbts and 1.5 mbs are the same the extra bits are some hddvd command features.
but 448 dolby always gets killed by 750kbts or 1.4 mbs DTS, always. That is the Lucas truth.

That makes me awesome.
post #84 of 106 Old 03-11-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

but, how can your car be DTS'efied?

That makes me awesome.
post #85 of 106 Old 03-11-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

Hanter

Well you’re behind the UK in time zone difference, so I’ll start turning out the cardboard shortly and go though as fast as possible. I’ll take a picture of the article and re-type the text because I don’t have a, scanner.

Some PAL laserdiscs weren’t as good as some of the NTSC laserdiscs, its down to mastering, that’s my belief on the issue.

I should have kept the Die Hard THX laserdisc Dolby AC-3 because I think that mix was true to the theatrical version where the later DVD and even HD-DVD or is it Bluray?

“Who Cares?”
Hans Gruber Die Hard (1988)

Yeah so if you have Die Hard on THX laserdisc listen really hard to the mix because the DVD versions are different. When Hans pulls the trigger when pointing it at McClane the sound should be (panned to right) as heard in the cinema.

On the DVD versions it’s re-positioned to the centre channel along with most of the weaponry machinegun fire that precedes the scene, I think it was panned one side of the screen.

Do Not Sale Die Hard on eBay at any cost well start the bid at $200.00 because that mix on THX laserdisc is priceless!

Actually the original sound mix for Die Hard isn't 5.1 at all. 5.1 sound for movies didn't come out until 1992. The original sound mix for Die Hard is 70 mm 6-Track (70 mm prints) / Dolby (35 mm prints). Some movies that weren't originally 5.1 mixes sound better if you connect the analog outputs from your LD player to your receiver and decode them as DPL. Aliens is a perfect example. The 5.1 mix on this LD sounds terrible. Switch over to the analog outputs and the movie sounds 10 times better.

post #86 of 106 Old 03-12-2008, 01:54 AM

Hunter

I'm still at sifting though this bulk. I had to take an early night's sleep last night because just emptying out the cardboard along knackered me. (I think this is going to take a few days to track down the precise magazine).

I might spray, (body spray) over them at least it will get rid of that musty stale smell of being in boxes for all this time.

kemiza

I know the differences between switching from Dolby digital or even dts over to analogue 4:2:4. crosstalk between fronts where centre information many db below can be heard when muting the centre channel, as well as in the surround it can be partly heard.

Un-muting the centre channel and muting the surrounds and switching between LCR while monitoring the differences where some music elements are heard only in the centre. This may be a strong bass rhythm line, like in chapter 7 Titanic (1997).

Trust me the later versions of Die Hard have been altered for the Die Hard fans.
post #87 of 106 Old 03-12-2008, 04:26 AM

I’ve gone though the magazines and I still haven’t found it. I do have the magazine somewhere? I guess it’s between 1995 somewhere as I’m not sure which month, Batman Forever was realised on Dolby AC-3 NTSC laserdisc? Or it is somewhere between 1996?

I’ve sorted the magazines into (title name) and stored them in the kitchen in the shelves. I’ll have to reorganize them into (issue numbers) as well as month and year and go though them again, only this time I’ll narrow it down to between (1995 and 1996).

Oh, what a palaver.
post #88 of 106 Old 03-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

My replies are in Red - Yours are BOLD and my originals are Italic. My arguments might be a little 'sloppy' this morning - I had to put one of my cats to sleep last night and I'm not quite myself today, so please forgive me any gross mistakes, etc.. in my reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post

"Widescreen Review was so heavily biased towards DTS back then ... Their articles about DTS and AC-3 were filled with incorrect information"

Please provide examples. I have been a subscriber since the earliest years. I do recall pages of interviews and articles with Dolby, as with DTS. During the development there was a lot of incorrect information thrown about with regard to both formats - some of it mistaken and some of it intentionally disengenuous. Some of it came directly from the two companies.
The magazine did and does make mistakes, like ALL publications. But it also presented more research and correct facts than any others in its day, including the original The Perfect Vision (with the exception of Joe Kane's papers in TPV - truly revolutionary at the time). I do not recall any errors driven by a bias towards DTS.

The constant bias against Dolby AC-3 took the form of little 'digs' at it such as constantly 'reminding' readers that AC-3 was a severely compressed, low-bitrate system - Reber couldn't barely let a mention of AC-3 go by without throwing in a snipe at the bitrate. While at the same time stating obviously incorrect information about DTS that it operated in a lossless-mode most of the time and lossy only when it needed to. And that it used no global bit-pooling. He provided pages and pages for DTS announcements, for such things as DTS demo CD's that, at the time, had no prospect of consumer release. As if consumers should get excited about a demo. The whole DTS Buick thing was sick though - he was provided, for free, all the equipment and installation necessary to install a full-fledged DTS system in his car and he devoted (wasted) pages and pages about it.
"They didn't review (Batman Forever) in their 'pro-DTS' days though."
The Laserdisc was reviewed when released, during "those" days. There was no comparable DTS release at the time, nor two years later with the DVD release. The comparative comments are from the re-release of the movie on DVD.

"WSR changed their tune towards AC-3 in later years because it was really hurting their reputation and making them look kinda silly."

Please provide examples of how WSR "changed" its view of AC-3 due to self-interest. I do not recall the magazine finding the same AC-3 quality as more acceptable simply due to the passage of time. WSR has correctly noted positive results as the codec and its implementation have improved over time.

While the AC-3 algorithm did undergo constant improvements, they were not 'groundbreaking' and Reber and his reviewers came to realise more and more that it was the original soundtrack and not the coding method that determined the quality delivered. The magazine had gotten the reputation as being Widescreen "dts" Review because of his constant boosting of the format - a boosting that was considerable enhanced by all the free decoders and softare he was given. As his industry clout deteriorated because of this, he started to 'back off' the rampant DTS cheering. Also, he was being assailed at the time for his keeping R.M. Hayes on staff - the film-technology ,uh, expert who just 'made up' things about film technology and started the whole embarrassing 70mm's aspect ratio is 2.05:1. That was an embarrassing low-point and Reber finally started listening to the people who really knew the truth and finally let RM Hayes go.
"Now they routinely praise Dolby E-AC3 over DTS."
Provide examples of "routinely" especially in the same context of the two formats at the time. Reviews of the past few years involve different technological developments.

The idea that high-bitrates ='s superior sound is still firmly entrenched - there are quite a few reviews in the newer WSR's that priase the E-AC3 track over the DTS track because the reviewer THINKS the E-AC3 track is at the 1.5mbps rate when its really a E-AC3 @ 640k. I've noticed it several issues.

Also, how can it be superior? Go back and read early issues about DTS - DTS is claimed at the 1.2kbps CD/LD rate and the 1.5k DVD rate, by both DTS and Reber, et-all, to be an absolutely 100% transparent reproduction of the original lossless master... soooo, if that is the case, how could something now be 'better' than the original DTS track? Now the claims are that DTS-HDMA is absolutely lossless - but supposedly - and it was repeated in print over and over again, DTS Coherent Acoustics was 100% AUDIBLY transparent. Now it isn't???

"incompetent article about DVD's having less than 16-bit resolution due to 'jitter.'"

Please provide examples of incompetence in articles dealing with this topic. Virtually all mainstream consumer products do have effective resolution of less than 16 bits, with some around 12 bits, due to jitter and other problems. This has been a concern since the late 1980's - AES, Wadia, Teac/Esoteric, Dolby, Meridian, Mark Levison, etc.

My partner moved some of my magazines, so I'll have to find the exact issue, but WSR ran an article that supposedly 'proved' that DVD only had around 12-bits of resolution... letters from properly degreed EE's came in showing how clearly flawed the article was and Reber just shut the whole argument down. He ran one letter and that was that... no more discussion since the letter he did run clearly showed the original article was so flawed - and meant to mislead to sell the companies jitter reducers. Simple measurements show that even the cheapest DVD players can output a signal with full 16-bit resolution - THD+N VS Frequency show it too. Of course, some stuff, like Wadia, doesn't do so well on those kinds of tests because they still use digital filters based on incorrect mathematics. Simple fact is, those 1's and 0's arn't as fragile as the 'high-end' would like everyone to believe.

"It's all so sad too because WSR was really a great magazine in the early days."
The early days were the time it was most ardent in encouraging better audio and video quality - including DTS over DD.

Since its inception WSR has been the target of much criticism from those who do not agree with its goals. Much of the criticism has been personal and unfounded in actual fact. Some has been due. That does not necessarily make the magazine "biased" or "incorrect" or a "debacle."

The ENTIRE problem with Widescreen Review, since the beginning, was his cozy relationship with manufacturers. TOO COZY. Plus, back in the early 80's, when Reber was part of Ruggles/Reber with the Tate DES system for Quadraphonic sound, he didn't have the best relationship with Dolby - Dolby got the Tate Chips for their theater processors and had no interest in his using the SQ matrix for home video releases of films. Reading between the lines in the early issues when he mentions his relationship with the Tate System, you can see he still had a chip on his shoulder when it came to Dolby - and it constantly came through.

He never employeed outside, disinterested, engineers to fact-check what he was printing - he would print misleading graps from DTS VS Dolby performance without an outside comment on the slight-of-hand that had taken place by DTS. He needed a fact-checker and just didn't seem to want one.

----------
post #89 of 106 Old 03-12-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

I've gone though the magazines and I still haven't found it. I do have the magazine somewhere? I guess it's between 1995 somewhere as I'm not sure which month, Batman Forever was realised on Dolby AC-3 NTSC laserdisc? Or it is somewhere between 1996?

I've sorted the magazines into (title name) and stored them in the kitchen in the shelves. I'll have to reorganize them into (issue numbers) as well as month and year and go though them again, only this time I'll narrow it down to between (1995 and 1996).

Oh, what a palaver.

Prince Charles says that Americans butcher the English language. It looks like some Brits can NOT spell a simple word like release, UHM?
post #90 of 106 Old 03-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Disclord. Time and effort (instead of silence) appreciated.

"The constant bias against Dolby AC-3 took the form of little 'digs' at it such as constantly 'reminding' readers that AC-3 was a severely compressed, low-bitrate system - Reber couldn't barely let a mention of AC-3 go by without throwing in a snipe at the bitrate."
Well, to me this sounds like fact, rather than unfair and slanted bias. Back then AC-3 was the most compressed consumer audio format. And back then the possibility of even worse audio quality with DVD was a real and serious concern.
You will possibly remember a well-known Dolby representative affirming back then that the DD process did in fact result in an audio quality audibly different from the original. But he said that it was good enough for normal consumer use. A lot of people were not happy with that goal - they wanted better. "Digs" and "constant reminding" were perceived as the only available pressure.
Many people would say that the complaints of WSR and TPV were in part responsible for the focus and eventual improvements in both DD and DTS.

"While at the same time stating obviously incorrect information about DTS that it operated in a lossless-mode most of the time and lossy only when it needed to."
I don't EVER remember this. So I spent almost two hours last night going through my back issues - and had no success finding it. I would like a reference, if only for my own education.

"Go back and read early issues about DTS - DTS is claimed at the 1.2kbps CD/LD rate and the 1.5k DVD rate, by both DTS and Reber, et-all, to be an absolutely 100% transparent reproduction of the original lossless master..."
I did look, as earlier. I saw NOTHING indicating this.

"As if consumers should get excited about a demo."
Actually they did. And for a while the discs were highly collectible!

"While the AC-3 algorithm did undergo constant improvements, they were not 'groundbreaking' and Reber and his reviewers came to realise more and more that it was the original soundtrack and not the coding method that determined the quality delivered."
Although I do not remember this it may be somewhat accurate. But that doesn't mean WSR softened its position on the quality of DD.

"it was repeated in print over and over again, DTS Coherent Acoustics was 100% AUDIBLY transparent."
Please provide quote and context for this.

"The magazine had gotten the reputation as being Widescreen "dts" Review because of his constant boosting of the format - a boosting that was considerable enhanced by all the free decoders and softare he was given."
That does not mandate the conclusion that WSR was on the take from DTS. Dolby could have produced and provided the same. It did not. Dolby waged its PR campaign in other ways in other arenas.

Rather than batting the birdie back and forth over the net, here's the bottom line for me.
Since their beginning WSR and DTS have been subject to continuing "rumors," "claims," assaults, "facts," and so on. Upon closer examination most of them are simply partisan positioning. As someone who has read and reread every single issue of WSR, TPV, many DD and DTS papers, had conversations in person and over telephone with Dolby and DTS and WSR and TPV personnel, I know that this is derived from basic human competitiveness rather than actual, verifiable evidence. ( For instance - I used to spend weeks disproving the postings of HTF and AVS participants who were adamant that either or both WSR and DTS had already filed for bankruptcy, among other things. )

Without details I am sensitive to allegations like yours. If the evidence is there and produced then it speaks for itself. But if it is not there the allegations are simply opinions. That is fine, but it is not factual.

Okay - to the meat:

"My partner moved some of my magazines, so I'll have to find the exact issue, but WSR ran an article that supposedly 'proved' that DVD only had around 12-bits of resolution."
Actually, that understanding as to the actual effective resolution of "Red Book" CD performance has been around for a long time. It has been publicized from numerous sources including manufacturers. And it has led to the continuing improvements in CD design, technology, construction and audio quality.

BTW - you have my sympathies regarding your cat.
I am not being disengenuous - my boys and I have buried five pets in the past four years and it is disquieting. Best wishes.

Regards,

- Hunter
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page