Need a new DVD Player but been out of the game for yrs... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-09-2007, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It has been about 7 yrs since I bought home theater equipment so everything has changed, but I am about to buy a epson 1080P UB projector and have a 100 inch screen, so I want to get a better dvd player than my old fashioned 480 Progressive toshiba unit from 2001.

I am a bit confused by upconverting units that say they do 1080P, it takes my normal dvd and makes it look "better"?

An upconverting unit takes the 480 signal and somehow jacks it up to 1080 I or P depending on the model? (sounds too good to be true).

But will those upconverting players play an hd dvd disc?

If I decided to go with an entry level hd dvd player it would still upconvert old standard dvds correct?

Just trying to figure out what to buy here, will have a 1080P projector with the hdmi input available as well as component, just figure for now I might buy a basic upconverting unit to see if there is a difference over my standard 480 unit, then if I love that in the future I might upgrade to a full HD DVD Player that is if I even "need" to.

Guessing tho that my upconvert dvd player wouldn't play a true HD or Blue Ray disc, or everyone would have one

Thanks for any help on these questions, so much has changed in the last few yrs I feel a bit lost walking into best buy these days.

Having a baby will do that to you (shes 7, last stuff I bought was before she was born) hehe.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-09-2007, 02:10 PM

Buy yourself an A3....It's
Cheap
Upconverts
and does HD-DVD so you get at least one of the new HD formats and you wont be out much IF HD-DVD does not prevail.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-09-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLOSM View Post

An upconverting unit takes the 480 signal and somehow jacks it up to 1080 I or P depending on the model? (sounds too good to be true).

Well, don't expect true HD quality. Nothing but HD-DVD or Blu-Ray (or HD television broadcasts) will get that. However, it does give good results, IMO. I run one to my 720p set and it looks better than straight on 480p signals that I've tried.

Check out the stickied thread starting with "A Primer on DVD in the HD World" for info.

Quote:

But will those upconverting players play an hd dvd disc?

Nope. Only standard DVDs (and CDs). You need a real HD-DVD player.
Quote:

If I decided to go with an entry level hd dvd player it would still upconvert old standard dvds correct?

Yes, I think they all upconvert (except maybe the xBox addon, but I don't really know there.)
Quote:

Just trying to figure out what to buy here, will have a 1080P projector with the hdmi input available as well as component, just figure for now I might buy a basic upconverting unit to see if there is a difference over my standard 480 unit, then if I love that in the future I might upgrade to a full HD DVD Player that is if I even "need" to.

Well, it's pretty subjective. Like I said, it won't be true HD, but it might give you good results. But since HD-DVD players are pretty cheap, and upconvert, you might give that a shot.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #4 of 5 Old 12-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

I would also go with an A-3 or an A-2 HD DVD player, you should be able to find one for about $200. It is a 1080i player. You get the best of both worlds. You get an excellent upconverting DVD player for all your SD DVD and also an HD DVD player. (you will get 5 free HD movies with your purchase). You can also go with a PS3 for about $400 which will do the same. PS3 is a 1080p player. Blu-ray seems to have sales on their software almost weekly, where as HD-DVD seems to rarely have any.

Decisions, decisions!!

Vikings sucked! Gophers BBall sucked! Packers always suck regardless! Lets Go Twins, you're my last chance!!
post #5 of 5 Old 12-09-2007, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

I figured with the 100 inch screen and the epson 1080P with hdmi i better not go cheap on an upconvert only, i rent thru blockbuster and can get hd discs I think too as part of my plan, so id for sure get use out of it even if I dont buy HD discs.

I know the "format war" is still on between Blueray and HD DVD, I wish Xbox 360 had a built IN HD dvd player, then I could get a ps3 for blueray ability and an xbox 360 for HD ability best of both words

I hate that outboard xbox 360 thing for hd, just put one IN the unit microsoft!!
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page