Help finding a DVD player that will ramdomly play mp3 files from a DVD data disk - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-21-2007, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a DVD player that will ramdomly play mp3 files from a DVD data disk. I'm hoping to find one that does not require a video display to put it in random mode. A DVD changer with these features would be even better. I am trying to accomplish an audio "jukebox" of sorts. I've heard some DVD players will play raw mp3 files, but I can't seem to validate that they will shuffle the songs on the DVD and play them in random order. Does anyone know of a player that will do this? Of is there a home theater in a box type unit, such as the JVC TH-C60 hat would randomly play mp3's from a DVD (preferably DVD+R)? Thanks in advance for any help! Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-21-2007, 01:10 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReeves View Post

I am looking for a DVD player that will ramdomly play mp3 files from a DVD data disk. I'm hoping to find one that does not require a video display to put it in random mode. A DVD changer with these features would be even better. I am trying to accomplish an audio "jukebox" of sorts. I've heard some DVD players will play raw mp3 files, but I can't seem to validate that they will shuffle the songs on the DVD and play them in random order. Does anyone know of a player that will do this? Of is there a home theater in a box type unit, such as the JVC TH-C60 hat would randomly play mp3's from a DVD (preferably DVD+R)? Thanks in advance for any help! Rich

The Oppo players will do shuffle and random play. No changers, though.

-Bill
post #3 of 8 Old 12-22-2007, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your reply Bill. Do you own one? If so, could you tell me what the sequence of selections on the remote is? I won't have a video source to display the steps, so I am hoping it is a simple sequence.

Also, does anyone feel I would be losing any audio quality playing raw mp3 files from a DVD as opposed to playing them from an mp3 player (ala iPod...)?
post #4 of 8 Old 12-22-2007, 07:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Thanks very much for your reply Bill. Do you own one? If so, could you tell me what the sequence of selections on the remote is? I won't have a video source to display the steps, so I am hoping it is a simple sequence.

There is a REPEAT button on the remote that cycles through the modes. Something like "repeat one track->repeat all->random->shuffle->repeat off". The function is slightly different depending on the disc type: audio CD, SACD or DVD-A, data disc.

As I recall, on the ANGLE button will flatten all directories on a data disc.

-Bill
post #5 of 8 Old 12-22-2007, 08:06 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

I won't have a video source to display the steps, so I am hoping it is a simple sequence.

By the way, the front panel shows the playback status, including the REPEAT mode.

-Bill
post #6 of 8 Old 12-25-2007, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

The Oppo's look like nice players. It looks like I'd have to go up to the 980 or 981, as I think the 970 was discontinued. I'll be using the player in a new "music only room" we're adding on, and since I won't be able to use any of the video & upconverting features, I was hoping to find a lower cost unit to accomplish my goal. I've heard the Apex AD-1100W plays mp3 from DVD, but in random mode? I've heard the Cyberhome CH-DVD 300's do it - but random? Can anyone verify this? Other's I've heard do it are the Panasonic DVD-F87, the Yamaha DVX-6700, Sony NC-655P, Toshiba SD-2800 & the Samsung 841...but which truely offer a ramdom mode? I've also heard the Onkyo does it, and is a 6 disk changer to boot! Anyone have this unit? It would be ideal as a "digital jukebox". Obviously I'm doing much to much research on this...I just want a DVD-mp3 player with a random or shuffle feature accessible without a video display..with quality sound & preferably low cost. The Oppo was a great suggestion, and I may have to go with it if I can't find a lower cost unit or DVD changer that has the same mp3-DVD ramdom playback capability. So, anyone have a DVD player that will do what I want - besides the feature rich Oppo? Thanks again for any help, and Merry Christmas to all!
post #7 of 8 Old 12-25-2007, 08:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Cyberhome

They fought the Law and the Law won: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberhome

-Bill
post #8 of 8 Old 11-28-2009, 05:37 PM

I just found this thread and am wondering what the final outcome was (and, better yet, what the updated advice may be for someone two years later who is now in the same position)...

You see, I am looking for a device to play MP3 audio sourced from DVD±R/DVD±RW. Like the original poster, I would ideally like a multi-changer unit which can randomize/shuffle amongst the present media. Getting it turned on and started playing without video would also be required as this will be hooked into a whole-house audio system - driven by infrared. Something $300 or less would be preferred. Any suggestions??

Thanks to any and all who can provide some advice. Thanks!!
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page