Need a DVD Player that plays .avi files. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-18-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello AVS Forum.

I've been doing some reading on the Philips dvix players but I can't seem to get all the answers I want. I want a DVD Player that plays my avi files.

My questions are:
1. How do I know if my avi files will be supported?
2. Should I use divx instead of avi ?
3. How do I know if my dvix files will work on the DVD player?
4. Not only do I want to play them, but I want to be able to skip minutes at a time, instead of the normal fast forward that may take a while to get to where you want to on the avi file. Does this type of avi file player exist?

I have tons of avi files that I would like to play on the television, instead of buring to DVD each time.

many thanks.

Akhen

tonio was here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not a very sharp tool in this area.

My understanding is that avi is more of a file type "container" and there are so many codec and DivX configurations so I think wanting a player that will play avi is too broad a brush stroke.

This is probably not what you want and probably what you already know but you can arm yourself with one or more powerful transcode utilities so that you can change unplayable files to something more friendly to your player.

Quick example is I had a 540meg avi highly compressed file I downloaded that would play the audio but not show the video and I used a free utility called mediacoder to convert it to a file more friendly to editing and burning and playing.
GoodLuck
post #3 of 8 Old 01-21-2008, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

I bought the Philips DVP3140. This plays Divx files, which is very similar to avi files. Saving these files as AVI I could play them in Windows Media Player. Changing the file extension to divx, I could play them on the DVD player. I don't quite understand how, or why, but that's the way it works. I think that because the avi files were compressed using the divx codec, I could play them on the dvd player. If they were not compressed using that codec, I probably would not be able to.

Oh, and btw, the DVD Player can fast forward at 32 times the speed, so getting to the right place in the movie doesn't take long at all.

tonio was here
post #4 of 8 Old 01-21-2008, 01:36 PM

Check out the Oppo 990. I use it all the time to play avi files from the computer through the USB 2.0 port. I just load them on a thumb drive from my iMac, plug it into the Oppo USB port, pull up the menu of files, select one and press play. Works great and the video quality can be quite impressive. Good luck.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-24-2008, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groschuni View Post

Check out the Oppo 990. I use it all the time

So, you're from the year 2015?
post #6 of 8 Old 08-11-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhenax View Post

Hello AVS Forum.

I've been doing some reading on the Philips dvix players but I can't seem to get all the answers I want. I want a DVD Player that plays my avi files.

My questions are:
1. How do I know if my avi files will be supported?
2. Should I use divx instead of avi ?
3. How do I know if my dvix files will work on the DVD player?
4. Not only do I want to play them, but I want to be able to skip minutes at a time, instead of the normal fast forward that may take a while to get to where you want to on the avi file. Does this type of avi file player exist?

I have tons of avi files that I would like to play on the television, instead of buring to DVD each time.

many thanks.

Akhen

I burn all my avi file to dvd using Nero Data Dvd. Takes about 3minutes and works perfectly on my tv dvd player. Fast forward works at speed increases by how many times you press the remote contol but you cannot jump large chunks as the Avi file does not contain Chapters. More than adequate for watching films. Keithrob83
post #7 of 8 Old 08-14-2008, 06:16 AM

You can use a tool called gspot on any avi to see if GMC was used. Many players will refuse to play an avi with encoded GMC

Most players will also do a max resolution of 7xx and not any higher. Your manual for the dvd player will tell you the limitations for both video and audio. Gspot will tell you exactly what was used for encoding.

You can also use a program called Super for the same thing.

If you wish to change an avi so that it will play on a divx machine, you can use Super to do so, or use AllToAvi. These 2 will reencode the file so that it will play on divx machines, so long as the resolution doesnt exceed what the player can do.

Try to keep it .avi as not all players can play .divx. I believe divx6 enabled player can do .divx, others may not recognize the extention.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-14-2008, 10:01 AM

I have a Philips 3575H over 1 year old. I also have over 500 movies in .avi format. If I want to watch some, I just make a data dvd on dvd-rw disk, by dragging the .avi file straight to the dvd. You can get 6 600meg movies on one dvd. The reason I use rw, is you can erase it after watching and put 6 new ones on it. So far the Philips has played any .avi file I have put on. I have heard it cannot play anything over 2 gigs. The player has no skip forward feature, but you can fast forward easily.
I want to get a cheapo Philips DVP5992 with USB 2.0 feature. That way I can copy .avi's onto a flash drive, or plug in an external USB hard drive to watch my .avi's.

Laterz
Glew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)