Best Upconverting DVD Player with USB DivX & MP3 Playback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-20-2008, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

Looking for recommendations and suggestions for top-notch upconverting DVD players that support the playback of the widest array of DivX/Xvid & MP3 files from USB-connected media (i.e., key, hard drive, etc.)

I recently purchased the Pioneer DV-400V but I was disappointed when it failed to play a number of DivX files that my old Yamaha DVD-S550 played without any problems. It also failed to play any MP3s with embedded cover art which was the straw that broke the camel's back (did anyone else experience this?).

So I have since returned it and am looking for something with a USB port that has more robust and versatile media format support.

I see that there is a new Pioneer DV-400V-K (which offers 1080p upconversion) and an LG LDA-831 which both have USB ports. Anybody have any experience with these?

Any feedback or suggestions on USB-equipped upconverting players that might fit the bill from satisfied (or not so satisfied!) owners would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-20-2008, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by splounx View Post

Hi there,

Looking for recommendations and suggestions for top-notch upconverting DVD players that support the playback of the widest array of DivX/Xvid & MP3 files from USB-connected media (i.e., key, hard drive, etc.)

I recently purchased the Pioneer DV-400V but I was disappointed when it failed to play a number of DivX files that my old Yamaha DVD-S550 played without any problems. It also failed to play any MP3s with embedded cover art which was the straw that broke the camel's back (did anyone else experience this?).

So I have since returned it and am looking for something with a USB port that has more robust and versatile media format support.

I see that there is a new Pioneer DV-400V-K (which offers 1080p upconversion) and an LG LDA-831 which both have USB ports. Anybody have any experience with these?

Any feedback or suggestions on USB-equipped upconverting players that might fit the bill from satisfied (or not so satisfied!) owners would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

hey I just got my Pio DV -400V-K , let me explain my impression

first of all, it's a great solid unit, very very solid, looking very futuristic, size is not too big but not too small, kinda midocore but if you look the backside is kinda cutoff, very not sleek but weird feeling lol

perfromance, as usual as what Pionner stands in market : mid-high performance.

I had A3 HD DVD before and I would say comparing these two, 400V did a great job upconverting and catching up almost as same as the 1080i coming out from A3.

the best thing I like my new 400V is the DivX capability, which all other HD-DVD players lacks. the audio is just fantastic, my recevier can produce enough DTS but then this dvd player has surround sound , it's not as what we usually had on others , but once you switch to "on" , wow, really a great difference!!

pop in LIVE FREE DIE HARD 4.0, when that F35 hoovering through freeway from north, the DVD accurately presented the 45 angle cornering perfectly!

comparing to the A3, i can only hear a 90 degree sorrund, i mean, you can really tell the diference

one downside: doesnt support optical audio, which is a issue to someone.
but to me, since this is a transitional unit I will have, probly lasts for 8 month or so, I will wait till Blueray technology and price goes down a little bit, then get a standalone Blue dvdplayer,(PS3 is nice, but worry on the DTS MA issue)

so yah, my conclusion, if you care about picture quality, or if you are a mid-high end user, get V400, i recommend it
post #3 of 3 Old 01-21-2008, 04:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by splounx View Post

Hi there,

You might look at the Oppo 980. Hard drives must be formatted FAT, not NTFS. The player sees only about 700 files on the drive, and I have heard of a 2GB file size limit.

Standard definition divx only, no HD formats.

-Bill
Reply DVD Players (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page