any news on 360 and netflicks merger - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 03-20-2008, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This would be a great service. I want HBO series... deadwood, rome, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 03-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
If I could download things that Netflix has on my 360... oh my....

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
post #3 of 39 Old 03-20-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It's been almost a year since Hastings joined the Microsoft Board. Hopefully, we'll hear something soon.

post #4 of 39 Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 AM

I want to here something as well. I want to pull the trigger on VUDU or Apple but I want to wait to see what netflix does.
post #5 of 39 Old 03-27-2008, 11:23 AM

Is that even going to be possible? A merger between those two would surely rig the market for biases towards the 360. What does the PS3 or WII have to offer?
post #6 of 39 Old 03-27-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Is there supposed to be a merger or a collaboration between them?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #7 of 39 Old 03-27-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Nguyen View Post

Is that even going to be possible? A merger between those two would surely rig the market for biases towards the 360. What does the PS3 or WII have to offer?

There are other sources that the PS3 could draw upon (e.g. Blockbuster, or directly from their own studios).

The Wii has essentially no storage and no HD capabilities, so there's no point bringing it into the discussion.
post #8 of 39 Old 03-28-2008, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder why MS would even want people downloading through Netflix instead of their own service? Are Live sales particularly bad?

Also does Netflix stream HD movies, or is it all SD?

It isn't the size of the disk that counts, but how you use it.

Panasonic 46pz85u

4K cinema at 60mbps, coming soon to a kiosk near you.
post #9 of 39 Old 03-28-2008, 11:25 AM

Most likely, customers would continue to access the movies through XBLM, but Netflix would become a provider of material to XBLM, and I imagine there would be cross-branding.
post #10 of 39 Old 03-28-2008, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hopefully if they joined forces you could use your NetFlix account and not have to worry the stupid (IMHO) MS points system. One flat fee that you can either get the DVD's or downloads via the 360. I would imagine that there would be lots of coding that would have to happen on the Live servers, NetFlix servers, and the 360 dashboard. That all has to be developed and tested. My guess is that there would not be any announcements made until the service (if in fact this is happening) is ready to go Live.

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #11 of 39 Old 03-31-2008, 05:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by eq_shadimar View Post

Hopefully if they joined forces you could use your NetFlix account and not have to worry the stupid (IMHO) MS points system. One flat fee that you can either get the DVD's or downloads via the 360. I would imagine that there would be lots of coding that would have to happen on the Live servers, NetFlix servers, and the 360 dashboard. That all has to be developed and tested. My guess is that there would not be any announcements made until the service (if in fact this is happening) is ready to go Live.

Laters,
Jeff

The point system is better since I can always get the points at a lower cost. Between $10 and $14 for 1600 ponts on sale. If they went to a dollar system $20 would always cost me $20. The point system makes things cost much less.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #12 of 39 Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Understood but with Netfilx I can rent as many movies as I want for a flat fee per month. This is what I was taking about. A flat fee of $10/month for as many movies as I can watch is much better for how I watch movies than paying points for each movie. Plus with the points I always find that I have some left over and either need to buy more or leave them hanging there.

I guess the best way would be for them to offer the different options. If you are not already a Netflix user you can pay for the movies with points. If you use Netflix the service would just be part of your subscription like it currently is with downloading movies to your PC.

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #13 of 39 Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 AM

We should not assume that a Netflix-XBLM merger would result in an all-you-can-eat offering for downloads. I think we should look at it as a potential content sharing agreement instead.
post #14 of 39 Old 03-31-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post

We should not assume that a Netflix-XBLM merger would result in an all-you-can-eat offering for downloads. I think we should look at it as a potential content sharing agreement instead.

I don't think all-you-can-eat offering for downloads will happen but I don't see why Netflix and MS won't allow watch now on XBL with your netflix subscription.Watch now is free with on your pc as long as your plan is atleast $17 dollars or more and they are trying to add better movies.I really wish they get on with it and come to some type of agreement. I don't want to buy in blu ray but I really want downloads.2 or 3 hrs is not a long wait vs 2 days in the mail.

Its either XBL or DOD (Direct tv on demand)
post #15 of 39 Old 03-31-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteen70 View Post

I don't think all-you-can-eat offering for downloads will happen but I don't see why Netflix and MS won't allow watch now on XBL with your netflix subscription.Watch now is free with on your pc as long as your plan is atleast $17 dollars or more and they are trying to add better movies.I really wish they get on with it and come to some type of agreement. I don't want to buy in blu ray but I really want downloads.2 or 3 hrs is not a long wait vs 2 days in the mail.

Its either XBL or DOD (Direct tv on demand)

Actually Netflix did the same poll for PS3 owners as well. They are looking to work with both the 360 and PS3 and you would use your current Netflix account to download and watch movies on those devices. Apprently they would issue a cd that would load the software needed on the device(PS3/360) that would make the service work.
post #16 of 39 Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 AM

Yeah, I heard it's going to be a merger with PS3 and Netflix actually. I'm trying to find some hard evidence on this but everything I type into search engines like Google and Yahoo show articles from early 2007. Does anyone have any concrete links to this merger?
post #17 of 39 Old 04-01-2008, 11:19 AM

Good luck I have google myself silly trying find anything on the merger.I still haven't seen a picture of the LG Netflix movie box and it is supposed to out this summer or fall. Again good luck
post #18 of 39 Old 04-02-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good luck I have google myself silly trying find anything on the merger.

That's because it's not a merger. Netflix has been open in saying they will be putting their download "service" on as many platforms as possible.

Xbox 360, PS3, LG box, others who create download boxes, media servers, BD Live players, maybe even cable and satellite DVRs are possibilities.

Netflix sees online movie service on many platforms

Quote:

SAN FRANCISCO, March 26 (Reuters) - Netflix Inc expects to lead the market for movies delivered over the Web despite growing competition from Web giants like Apple and Amazon, Chief Financial Officer Barry McCarthy said on Wednesday.

One major reason, he said, is that watching movies over the Internet is not yet easy, so Netflix can keep customers happy with the simple DVDs-by-mail technology while Web delivery improves.

"Download services right now have limited value. As long as it's a marginal product because of limited content or because you're limited to PC to watch it, it's difficult for stand-alone services to compete with Netflix," he said.

In addition to its core mail-order DVD business, Netflix, with 7.5 million subscribers, lets subscribers watch movies via the Web on PCs and also plans to roll out a set-top box with LG Electronics Inc this year to let subscribers watch films streamed from the Web to TVs.

The promise of increased Web video viewing has lured companies like Apple Inc and Amazon.com Inc into the sector, but analysts expect it will be five to 10 years before that market really takes off.

McCarthy said Netflix will announce more alliances like its LG partnership, but declined to provide details.

"We'd like to be on as many platforms as possible. If you buy an electronic platform and you're able to access Netflix content on your TV because it's on that set-top box, that's great," he said.

Netflix has surveyed its subscribers for interest in streaming movies to TVs using Microsoft Corp's Xbox 360, but McCarthy described it as "research" rather than signaling a soon-to-be announced partnership.

The speculation has persisted in part because Netflix CEO Reed Hastings sits on the Microsoft board.

"Reed's going on the Microsoft board did not signal to Netflix, Microsoft or the outside world a strategic relationship between Netflix and Microsoft. It was entirely about Microsoft and their board," he said.

post #19 of 39 Old 04-07-2008, 07:35 AM

I hope netflix puts their service on TiVo units. Damn would that be nice!
post #20 of 39 Old 04-22-2008, 12:03 PM

Microsoft would never merger with another company but they might agree to let Netflix put their service on the xbox. If Microsoft was smart they would either set up their own service or buy out someone.
post #21 of 39 Old 04-22-2008, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementalism View Post

I hope netflix puts their service on TiVo units. Damn would that be nice!

In yesterdays nflx earnings c.c. they said there were 4 companies that they were going to do downloads with and one of them was a small company.

Tivo is a small company. It makes perfect sense to me. 250gig harddrive out of the box and you can add external drives. Heck I got 1 TB in my living room tivo.
post #22 of 39 Old 04-22-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
The other rumor is Netflix streaming to AppleTV's. The benefit here is a set price per month for streaming movies versus a single price per movie.
post #23 of 39 Old 04-23-2008, 03:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

The other rumor is Netflix streaming to AppleTV's. The benefit here is a set price per month for streaming movies versus a single price per movie.

XBOX360
PS3
AppleTV
Tivo3/TivoHD

That is my guess. 3 large companies and 1 small one.
post #24 of 39 Old 04-27-2008, 08:34 PM

Liked: 16
It was just going to be netflix and tivo but they had some differences. Not sure what happened but I doubt it will be going to tivo if the original deal was canceled. Tivo charges monthly fees for their boxes anyway.

While the netflix on demand is nice its still very limited. If they want a home netflix box to be successful I would want access to all of netflix and not just left overs. Cable providers already offer on demand left overs free with their service.

If I do pay a premium fee to stream netflix to my tv I would want unlimited access to the entire netflix library. This just sounds to good to be true.

People use netflix because its cheap and has a huge library of everything. If they change either of those things I don't see them being different than anyone else. Most vod services charge 3-4 dollars to rent a movie. Netflix is less than 1.50 through mail. Whatever pricing scheme they come up with it will need to stay around that number.
post #25 of 39 Old 05-01-2008, 06:15 AM

So whatever happened? Who did Netflix work with?
post #26 of 39 Old 05-06-2008, 03:58 PM

Lets just say hypothetically speaking that Netflix merged with MS and it was only for watch now how can they take those movies and make them HD or can it be done. I think SD movies that are mastered very well looks cool on small screens but on large screens SD doens't look so hot.
post #27 of 39 Old 05-10-2008, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Apparently the beta is up, but requires Vista MC. Was excited at first, but I only have XP. Guess it works ok, but of course they don't offer HD stuff yet that I know of.

http://myweb.cableone.net/eluttmann0...ix/default.htm
post #28 of 39 Old 05-10-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Apparently the beta is up, but requires Vista MC. Was excited at first, but I only have XP. Guess it works ok, but of course they don't offer HD stuff yet that I know of.

http://myweb.cableone.net/eluttmann0...ix/default.htm

I am tryiing to get it to work I wonder if anyone else have.
post #29 of 39 Old 05-18-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:

I am tryiing to get it to work I wonder if anyone else have.

This is not from Netflix. This is just a plug in someone is doing for Vista Media Center.
post #30 of 39 Old 05-21-2008, 02:16 AM

Note that the vmcNetflix plug-in for Windows Vista Media Center provides enhanced Netflix integration for your Windows Vista MCE HTPC, including the Watch Instantly service -- *plus* the plugin reportedly enables "Instant Watch" capability on the Xbox 360, through Vista MCE extender functionality.

The vmcNetflix plugin doesn't work with a XP MCE 2005 HTPC, but the NetflixMC plugin does; however, the NetflixMC plugin doesn't support "Watch Instantly" for v2 MC extenders like the Xbox 360.

See this review of the THREE current MCE Netflix plugins, as of late May2008, for more info.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page