AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby View Post

Contradiction please. If no stock sent to Seattle then none available perhaps

Long time acquaintance with Seattlites. Maybe you need to learn that Bellingham, Olympia, Puyallup,Tacoma, Everett, Silverdale, Lynnwood and belleuve are not in Seattle.

Hmmm, Seattle best buy is OOS on the most popular BD models.... and so are the ones in the surrounding areas.

Best buy must not be shipping to seattle... yeah.... thats the ticket. And no way people from Seattle are driving "All the way to Bellevue" for these players... NO WAY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 328 Old 04-05-2008, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I am in Seattle. I can assure you that Seattle isn't jumping all over bluray. But everybody is jumping all over Ipods and the like.

Ipod popularity is based on people enjoying music "on-the-go." I have an iPod Touch I use for my daily commuter rail travels. I use it at the gym. I don't care that its compressed mp3 or AAC encodes with much poorer sound quality because I can cram thousands of songs onto it for whatever mood I'm in at the moment. If I want a song via the iTunes store I can wi-fi it up in a Starbucks, takes me a couple mins to pull one down. Music is different (via downloads to a SSD) - at its current sizes and "poorer" encodes, the few mins you wait for a song is basically instant gratification. I've done that plenty of times, sitting in a coffee shop with friends and a song comes up that I buy for 99 cents or we talk about some old song from our youth. Time to buy it for convenience to listen. Movies, not being watched "on-the-go" do not require that immediacy for your avg J6P.

Which goes back to the point, flash rom as blu-ray replacement, perhaps. Download flash, not anytime soon. Maybe if I'm out shopping for the day I can send a message to this future service to start sending the file to my media server (which I don't have, but guess I'll have to buy) so I can watch it when I get home. Or I could just swing by Blockbuster and rent it or Best Buy and buy it. The THX scientist stating that 3-4 movies in your pocket as a plus doesn't work for me. On a 3" iPod Touch screen I don't care if its hi-def. At that size everything looks "sharp."

The thing of it is, if something comes along to steal blu-ray's thunder, oh well. In the interim, I'm getting hi-def content and not waiting for the next great thing. For instance, someone is contemplating buying an HDTV (lcd or plasma). OLED is "coming" to steal the thunder. Wait?
post #273 of 328 Old 04-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla View Post

Hmmm, Seattle best buy is OOS on the most popular BD models.... and so are the ones in the surrounding areas.

Hmmmm. Are you saying that the most popular BD models aren't even available in Seattle? Is that supposed to be a good thing?

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #274 of 328 Old 04-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker1974 View Post

Which goes back to the point, flash rom as blu-ray replacement, perhaps.

Sounds like you are coming around.

Quote:

Or I could just swing by Blockbuster and rent it or Best Buy and buy it?

I have seen this phrase many times now, as if this is the height of convenience. I don't want to drive to a blockbuster or best buy and I don't consider it convenient at all. I would rate the retail ambiance of a blockbuster as antiseptic, at best; the BB I would rate mildly unpleasant. Now if that experience could be circumvented, that I would find convenient.

Quote:

The THX scientist stating that 3-4 movies in your pocket as a plus doesn't work for me.

He mentioned the 128 GB card, which would hold that many movies, so maybe thats where the number comes from. Maybe he commutes by train or ferry, has a car with TV in back for the kids, lake cabin etc.

Quote:

The thing of it is, if something comes along to steal blu-ray's thunder, oh well. In the interim, I'm getting hi-def content and not waiting for the next great thing.

The thing of it is, a lot of people are waiting for some thunder out of Bluray.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #275 of 328 Old 04-09-2008, 09:34 PM

Downloads are where we're gonna end up. We're moving in that direction right now. It's just a mater of time. It WILL happen.

The only real limiting factor is bandwidth.

The length of time it takes for movie downloads to become the primary method for home viewing is wholly dependant on how long it takes ISPs to roll-out faster speeds.

Right now, with 8 mb/s downloads as the fastest average downstream speed in the US, who wants to wait over 11 hours to get your 40 GB HD movie? That's certainly not something I want.

But in Hong Kong right now, that same download takes just 5 minutes! In Japan and Korea, you can download that 40 GB movie in less than an hour. Right now.

Hong Kong has symmetrical GB Ethernet available which sells for the equivalent of around $215 US a month. In Japan and Korea, you can get 100 MB for around $30-40 US per month.

And here we are in the US with our paltry 6-8 mb/s! Ghastly! The US is a cultural backwater. A Third-World Nation!

It won't stay that way long. Verizon is building out its FIOS. Comcast is moving to DOCSIS 3.0. Lots of good things are happening in the bandwidth world.

The latest buzz is that Comcast will be rolling out DOCSIS 3.0 this coming year (in select markets), with speeds in the 30-50 mb/s range. Verizon will match that, of course, as will Qwest and AT&T and all the others.

That's nowhere near what they've got in Asia, but it's a start and it gets us farther down the road to where we need to be. How long till we get those GB speeds they already have in Hong Kong? Hopefully less than 10 years. Probably not more.

Blockbuster and Hollywood Video and the others know this. They're already positioning themselves for the new market. I read a speech given by the President of Blockbuster where he predicted downloads coming into their own right with the next five years.

It's just a matter of time.

Video downloads will predominate as soon as they're as easy and convenient and cheap as conventional rentals/sales. You go browse online through Blockbuster's catalog (or Netflix), select the movie you want to watch, click buy, then go pop some popcorn. You come back and watch it on your HDTV.

So how much bandwidth do we need for it to take off?

I would think the time limit for a download would be somewhere in the range of 10-15 minutes for people to widely accept it (everyone wants immediate gratification - it can't take as much time as going to the store, or it won't work).

That may be implemented by offering SD downloads initially (at say 6-8 GB each). SD video looks pretty awful good, and 8 GB only takes 22 minutes to download at 100 mb/s. That's close to being workable.

How am I gonna watch em?

Easy! The movies will be delivered to your entertainment multi-media device. Current PS3 and X-Box 360 devices have this capability already (although not enough storage to really work). NextGen consoles will have much larger storage capacity and will be able to fully implement movie downloads.

post #276 of 328 Old 04-10-2008, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepellegrini View Post

...It's just a matter of time.

Yeah... a long time. Going by everything you just wrote.

post #277 of 328 Old 04-10-2008, 12:07 PM

With streaming, you don't need the whole movie to start watching it. We only need enough speed to get the whole movie within the movie's runtime, plus some reasonable up-front buffer time. It is totally unnecessary to download the entire movie in 15 minutes. You only need enough of the movie to start watching it without interruption after 15 minutes. This is how it's done with Vudu and XBLive, and there's no reason you can't use this technique at Blu-ray quality.
post #278 of 328 Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post

With streaming, you don't need the whole movie to start watching it. We only need enough speed to get the whole movie within the movie's runtime, plus some reasonable up-front buffer time. It is totally unnecessary to download the entire movie in 15 minutes. You only need enough of the movie to start watching it without interruption after 15 minutes. This is how it's done with Vudu and XBLive, and there's no reason you can't use this technique at Blu-ray quality.

I don't know why people don't understand this. It's like they've never watched a video on the internet or Youtube and seen it start playing before it's downloaded.
post #279 of 328 Old 04-10-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Probably more than 5 years but less than 10. That's my guess. And that ain't very long at all.

I see movies online as the "killer app" everyone's been waiting for for the internet.

Yeah, you guys are right about the movie starting as soon as it's done buffering - that could make it possible to do with less bandwidth.

Me, I don't rent movies - I buy them, and for that, I stll tend to think of the sale as complete when the download finishes (like downloadable software). But your way makes more sense from a marketing standpoint.
post #280 of 328 Old 04-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody notice how flash camcorders are all the rage? The new Canon HF10 got a pretty good review here...
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...r-Review-34711

Maybe people won't have to buy a flash player for the movie they got at the kiosk, they will just use their camcorder.

Of course, Rutgar, for you there is the Hitachi blu-ray camcorder. It's not carried at many places, and no one seems to have reviewed it or bought it, but price is coming down dramatically.

--David Mamet
post #281 of 328 Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post

THat's still very significant bandwidth. For argument's sake, we'll say that it's a 2 hour movie at 20 Mbits/second ABR.

If my calcs are correct, you need about 7/8 of that speed to only buffer 15 minutes and watch without exceeding the buffer space. That would be ~15 Mbits/second.

Now, if you buffer an hour, you still need to sustain something like 1/2 that rate or 10 Mbits/second to make it to the end of the 2 hour movie without running out of buffer.

Cheers,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #282 of 328 Old 04-11-2008, 01:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

THat's still very significant bandwidth. For argument's sake, we'll say that it's a 2 hour movie at 20 Mbits/second ABR.

If my calcs are correct, you need about 7/8 of that speed to only buffer 15 minutes and watch without exceeding the buffer space. That would be ~15 Mbits/second.

Now, if you buffer an hour, you still need to sustain something like 1/2 that rate or 10 Mbits/second to make it to the end of the 2 hour movie without running out of buffer.

Cheers,

It gets a little bit more complicated than that since all movies are not exactly constant bit rate. If the last part of the movie is a thrilling action scene taking a lot more bit rate then you only have to catch up by the end and your calc would be correct. But if there is a huge hump in total bits toward the beginning then you need more buffering time. For this reason I've even suggested showing the credits at the beginning, at a low bit rate. Or any other lower bit rate material like previews or something to keep the viewer occupied.

If it wasn't so annoying then showing static FBI warnings in 23 languages would be just perfect.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #283 of 328 Old 04-11-2008, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course, Rutgar, for you there is the Hitachi blu-ray camcorder. It's not carried at many places, and no one seems to have reviewed it or bought it, but price is coming down dramatically.

Just to be clear. I'm not 'pro Blu-ray' on anything and everything. D/L, VOD, Flash Drives, etc. All have their places. But in the current state of home video, BD is currently the king as far as PQ, availability, and most importantly, studio support. The price is still a little high compared to standard DVD, but that should get better as the dust settles from the format war.

As far as streaming video goes, judging from my current experiences of 'freezing, stalls, and stutters' when watching streaming videos on my PC, I would say it also has a long way to go as well. But this could be due more to the current state of the internet's infrastructure, than the streaming technology itself.

post #284 of 328 Old 04-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just to be clear. I'm not 'pro Blu-ray' on anything and everything.

Me too!
Quote:

But in the current state of home video, BD is currently the king as far as PQ, availability, and most importantly, studio support.

PQ definitely goes to bluray.
Availability goes to DVD
Studio support goes to DVD

The king is still DVD. If you want to be the man, you have to beat the man.

Quote:

The price is still a little high compared to standard DVD, but that should get better as the dust settles from the format war..

That is what the studios and the mfgs don't want.

--David Mamet
post #285 of 328 Old 04-11-2008, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Me too!

PQ definitely goes to bluray.
Availability goes to DVD
Studio support goes to DVD

The king is still DVD. If you want to be the man, you have to beat the man.

That is what the studios and the mfgs don't want.

Wow! Talk about changing horses mid-stream! No one is talking about standard DVD. We are talking about BD vs. Memory Sticks, D/L, etc. Try paying attention.

post #286 of 328 Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Wow! Talk about changing horses mid-stream! No one is talking about standard DVD. We are talking about BD vs. Memory Sticks, D/L, etc. Try paying attention.

He just stated a simple fact and pointed out a few hurdles/reasons why BD won't be King.
post #287 of 328 Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepellegrini View Post

Downloads are where we're gonna end up. We're moving in that direction right now. It's just a mater of time. It WILL happen.

The only real limiting factor is bandwidth.

The length of time it takes for movie downloads to become the primary method for home viewing is wholly dependant on how long it takes ISPs to roll-out faster speeds.

Right now, with 8 mb/s downloads as the fastest average downstream speed in the US, who wants to wait over 11 hours to get your 40 GB HD movie? That's certainly not something I want.

But in Hong Kong right now, that same download takes just 5 minutes! In Japan and Korea, you can download that 40 GB movie in less than an hour. Right now.

Hong Kong has symmetrical GB Ethernet available which sells for the equivalent of around $215 US a month. In Japan and Korea, you can get 100 MB for around $30-40 US per month.

And here we are in the US with our paltry 6-8 mb/s! Ghastly! The US is a cultural backwater. A Third-World Nation!

It won't stay that way long. Verizon is building out its FIOS. Comcast is moving to DOCSIS 3.0. Lots of good things are happening in the bandwidth world.

The latest buzz is that Comcast will be rolling out DOCSIS 3.0 this coming year (in select markets), with speeds in the 30-50 mb/s range. Verizon will match that, of course, as will Qwest and AT&T and all the others.

That's nowhere near what they've got in Asia, but it's a start and it gets us farther down the road to where we need to be. How long till we get those GB speeds they already have in Hong Kong? Hopefully less than 10 years. Probably not more.

Blockbuster and Hollywood Video and the others know this. They're already positioning themselves for the new market. I read a speech given by the President of Blockbuster where he predicted downloads coming into their own right with the next five years.

Video downloads will predominate as soon as they're as easy and convenient and cheap as conventional rentals/sales. You go browse online through Blockbuster's catalog (or Netflix), select the movie you want to watch, click buy, then go pop some popcorn. You come back and watch it on your HDTV.

So how much bandwidth do we need for it to take off?

I would think the time limit for a download would be somewhere in the range of 10-15 minutes for people to widely accept it (everyone wants immediate gratification - it can't take as much time as going to the store, or it won't work).

That may be implemented by offering SD downloads initially (at say 6-8 GB each). SD video looks pretty awful good, and 8 GB only takes 22 minutes to download at 100 mb/s. That's close to being workable.

How am I gonna watch em?

Easy! The movies will be delivered to your entertainment multi-media device. Current PS3 and X-Box 360 devices have this capability already (although not enough storage to really work). NextGen consoles will have much larger storage capacity and will be able to fully implement movie downloads.

The US being called third world is not something that makes me feel good, hey but at least we still have cool.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #288 of 328 Old 04-12-2008, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope.

Actually things are changing very rapidly. From the news thread (and elsewhere).

Here is where fiber to the home is...

Quote:

At the end of December 2007, Verizon had passed about 9.3 million homes and businesses in parts of 17 states.

· Verizon expects to continue passing some 3 million premises annually through 2010, when the company expects to have passed about 18 million homes, or over half the homes it serves.

Quote:

Nearly 3 million homes are connected to fiber, and 770,500 of those (or 26%) were added in the last six months, according to RVA.

Here is where Comcast is with Docsis 3.0...

Quote:

Comcast, which has 13.2 million Internet customers, plans to offer wideband to 20% of the 49 million homes in its service areas this year and 100% by the middle of 2010, Bowling says.

Customers will be able to download Internet data at a rate of up to 50 megabits per second and upload at 5 Mbps.

Here is where Cox is...

Quote:

Cox also has Docsis 3.0 on its agenda, and it appears that its channel bonding strategy will synch up with its decision to expand system bandwidth across the board. (See Cox Makes 1 GHz Moves .)

The MSO plans to do some limited deployments of Docsis 3.0 in the second half of 2008, giving it the ability to add capacity at costs lower than what's afforded by earlier versions of the platform.

Time Warner...

Quote:

Time Warner Cable is expected to begin deploying DOCSIS 3.0 later this month, according to a report released today by New Paradigm Resources Group.

Nothing like some old fashioned competition to get things moving quickly, eh?
post #289 of 328 Old 04-12-2008, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.jones View Post

He just stated a simple fact and pointed out a few hurdles/reasons why BD won't be King.

Maybe, but that's a completely different discussion than the one we're having here. Try reading the title of the thread.

post #290 of 328 Old 04-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, not changing horses midstream for me, I have mentioned it in previous posts in this thread.

Yes, look at the title. "...it's too late for blu-ray". Too late for blu-ray to do what? He is not saying it is too late for blu-ray to exist, obviously it does, nor is he saying that it is too late for blu-ray to sell lots of copies of hidef movies, which it is.

He is saying it is too late for blu-ray to supplant DVD as the dominant means by which we view movies. By the time bluray sales surpass DVD sales (if that ever happens), sales of downloads will already be greater.

--David Mamet
post #291 of 328 Old 04-15-2008, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, not changing horses midstream for me, I have mentioned it in previous posts in this thread.

Yes, look at the title. "...it's too late for blu-ray". Too late for blu-ray to do what? He is not saying it is too late for blu-ray to exist, obviously it does, nor is he saying that it is too late for blu-ray to sell lots of copies of hidef movies, which it is.

He is saying it is too late for blu-ray to supplant DVD as the dominant means by which we view movies. By the time bluray sales surpass DVD sales (if that ever happens), sales of downloads will already be greater.

And that still remains to be seen.

post #292 of 328 Old 04-15-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

True, but it is that persons opinion. I hate to hear it because I don't want things to be so slow with BD that it might come to pass.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #293 of 328 Old 04-15-2008, 12:15 PM

The bandwith problem will be moot very soon. IBM,SONY, and TOSHIBA have been working on this problem. This chip is ready to go. the server have existed for years ( first as a mainframe now as blade machines).

IBM Streams HD Video at 3Mbps
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1019713
post #294 of 328 Old 04-17-2008, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain View Post

I personally couldn't imagine why I would want to carry movies around in my wallet. I don't have room for the crap in there right now. Beside why don't we all wait until they have telepathy figured out then we don't needd to carry any thing and the screen can be as big as you can imagine.

Exactly.And why not a TV in my pocket?
post #295 of 328 Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
If you have been to your local bar in the last few years more than likely you have seen a fancy new jukebox. There are no longer records in it rather simply one large hard drive. It connects to the Internet so if for some reason the song you wish to play isn't being stored locally it will offer to instantly download it for you (if you are willing to pay extra).

Apple TV sells for $225 now with wireless-N, USB port and will output 1080p. It's not perfect but it shows what can be done down the road especially if any volume at all occurs.

If you want to watch a movie either download it yourself and watch it real-time (if your Internet connection is fast enough) or download it for viewing later. If you don't like downloading visit your grocery store with your thumb drive and come back with any movie you can imagine.

Since most of the world rents that's that however for the few who actually want to purchase their movies just plug an external drive into Apple TV's replacement and you are good to go.
post #296 of 328 Old 04-17-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:

pfft I can watch DVD quality movies from Netflix right now. Eventually that will be thousands of movies at my fingertips for 15 bucks a month.

DOCSIS 3.0 will really push the envelope as it will allow cable providers to push 30,50 or 100+Mbps to the home.
post #297 of 328 Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:

2007 Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sold about 6 million movies combined. Apples movie download service shipped about 8 million. It is already happening.

If you follow the news thread at the top of this forum. They are predicting the download industry to be about 5 billion dollars in the next couple of years. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD were about 270 million last year. There is a very strong possibility that downloads take a large chunk of market from Blu-Ray once it gets to a price point that it can replace DVD.
post #298 of 328 Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

bye, bye blue ray...

post #299 of 328 Old 04-17-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementalism View Post

2007 Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sold about 6 million movies combined. Apples movie download service shipped about 8 million. It is already happening.

90% of those movies apple "shipped" are off itunes to be played 320x240 on the ipod. Not really analogous...

It isn't the size of the disk that counts, but how you use it.

Panasonic 46pz85u

4K cinema at 60mbps, coming soon to a kiosk near you.
post #300 of 328 Old 04-17-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User View Post

90% of those movies apple "shipped" are off itunes to be played 320x240 on the ipod. Not really analogous...

What about these numbers? Back from November '07...

More Consumers Are Watching TV Broadcasts Online Thanks to Higher Streaming Quality

Quote:

The following statistics focus on Move’s customers only:

The number of consumers viewing entire episodes online has dramatically increased as Move is gaining more than 100,000 new unique viewers every 24 hours.

A Move-enabled user’s average viewing time is 50 minutes (much higher than other industry estimates, which have placed average video viewing times across the Internet closer to 2.7 minutes).

Viewers have watched more than 15 million hours of Move-enabled near-HD or HD premium video content online in October alone.

Already in November, more than twice the number of viewers watched long form video online than watched in the entire month of August.

Move has streamed more than 50 million hours of television this year.

This one is interesting:

Quote:

Viewers have watched more than 15 million hours of Move-enabled near-HD or HD premium video content online in October alone.

That's Move Networks alone. With 9 million discs sold since inception in the US - how many million hours per month are spent watching blu-ray?
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page